Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Skirmishers > Skirmish cavalry > Braced melee infantry > Melee cavalry > Skirmishers

(roughly, and assuming all else equal. obviously you want to charge your melee cavalry into any the flanks and rear of any melee-engaged unit regardless of type)

madmac posted:

Beastmen are tons of fun. You get to play a stealthy ambush based horde that's unlike any other race in the game.

Attack-ambushing armies and charging their exposed columns with minotaurs never, ever gets old. I wasn't a big Beastmen fan before but that mechanic is so fun that I really got into my Beastmen campaign. The moon bonuses/maluses were cool too.

jokes posted:

Cannons are always kind of useless though. Infantry can at least reposition and hit their targets more reliably. Even on the approach, I'd rather have a unit of handguns than a cannon.

I miss canister and grape shot from Empire and Napoleon, though I can understand if it's not in there due to balance reasons. No point bringing a Helblaster if you can get the same effect with a dual-use cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

China, with a "Celestial Golden Emperor" or some such

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Yes, though "Nippon" is also mentioned so that may be the not-Japan focus.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

I tried out the norse dwarves as well, and having a unit go berserk so I lost control of it was pretty neat.

That reminds me that I last recall berserking as a mechanic in Rome 1, though I've skipped a few titles since. Do any vanilla Warhammer units get that? Minotaurs maybe?

Vargs posted:

This is pretty much Mount and Blade.

How hard would it be to mod something like that in? Purely as WSAD movement with buttons for "sweeping attack animation" and such, no mouselook.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 12, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sort of/depends on the writer. They're definitely inclined more towards chaos, and their hedonistic lifestyle feeds into that, but chaos is always subversive while the dark elves seek total control and domination over everything else, including chaos. Officially they're enemies, and in end times a massive marauder horde pours south and forces the dark elves to flee Naggaroth. Generally the only times they ally is when a group of dark elves are arrogant enough to think that they can control chaos, usually with mixed results. Unless it's Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, then they just fully ally with chaos and greenskins to make team super evil

Makes for an interesting comparison with the Dark Eldar in 40k, who similarly engage in slavery and torture orgies but would never dare travel by warp, let alone attempt to use Chaos for their own ends.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Please ignore the blatant Chaos cult that's an important part of delf society.

It's not blatant, though, which is the point, otherwise they would be called Chaos Elves. Their cult of Khaine has disturbing similarities to aspects of Khorne and Slaanesh, and the dark gods probably notice this and factor it into their plans to ultimately corrupt the race, but the DE invoke Khaine's name.

Also this

Night10194 posted:

The key is that it's ridiculously easy to trick elves, because they don't think they can be tricked. They think all the cults and dark magic are under control, and that their willingness to risk dark stuff is heroic and great.

Elfs are not smart people.

They're on the road to damnation but not there yet, because Malekith is just that strong-willed.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I'm talking about the Cult of Pleasure, headed by the emperor's mom.

I know, which if I recall still works in Khaine's name. Morathi herself might be untouchable but Malekith would slaughter any cult that directly worshipped the dark gods without his express approval (such as part of some arrangement he made), because he is obsessed with control and it would represent a challenge to his rule.

Ze Pollack posted:

The state religion of Naggaroth is Diet Khorne worship. Same great taste, significantly less tentacle filling.
The getting-caught-practicing-it-is-punishable-by-death-but-the-rewards-are-choice underground religion of Naggaroth is straight-up Slaanesh worship.

If that were the case, you would see chaos cults and daemons popping up constantly in the cities of Naggaroth and Malekith would be so preoccupied with crushing them that his armies would never leave the continent. It would also be oddly incompetent of Malekith, who is famously paranoid and employs legions of spies to keep him informed of happenings across the world. The gods they worship are all part of the elven pantheon--even the minor ones have shrines on Ulthuan--but avoided by the High Elves except when absolutely needed as they represent the darker aspects of their nature.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Fair enough. Morathi would be the one elf Malekith would allow to run her cult as she likes.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Old canon: the cult of pleasure (explicitly worshipping Slaanesh) existed in Ulthuan before the civil war, Morathi was their leader, and when Malekith found out, she manipulated him into letting her live so that she could use the cults to help him seize power, so Malekith calls all the princes to a council and blames king Bel Shanaar for the cults, whom he had already poisoned, his followers stormed the council and kill most of the princes, stepped into the phoenix flames to inherit the crown, and was burnt to a crisp by the gods' judgment

New canon: Bel Shanaar wasn't actually the legit king, but the other princes didn't like Malekith so they used magic to let BS walk through the flames unharmed, while Malekith was scared and would've been fine if he'd stayed in the flames a couple seconds longer. Also this somehow justifies his followers murdering the unarmed princes, and his mom had nothing to do with anything

I think we can just ignore the End Times and associated material, given that it was all a vehicle to segue into Age of Sigmar. CA certainly seems to be.

(Not counting Vermintide, which apart from the title could take place in any random Empire city unlucky enough to be the target of a Skaven assault)

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

That's a shame, I would hope that they could treat it like a spell and stick some lightning graphics between the 'caster' and the target but no idea if that would be easily doable in engine.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ze Pollack posted:

their solution to the problem looks pretty elegant

team Sorest Losers On The Face Of The Planet, headed by Malekith, is spending its time trying to conquer Ulthuan

team Def Not Chaos Cultists Nope Nope Nope, headed by Morathi, is spending its time trying to loot the Lizardmen temple-cities for any Good poo poo

the odds of these two coming to war in the event of confederation looking tricky are between 1 and 1

Wow, they really will be two factions, same race. Somehow I hadn't realized that, thought it would be like Gelt and Karl Franz. Tyrion and Teclis too I assume. Since that leaves us with one LL per faction, what Legendary Lord D/FLC are we likely to see for elves?

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Sedisp posted:

It'd be a different way of modeling it though. You'd either give the unit firing the hitscan a center of fire or just roll a miss or hit when the unit fired. Neither would be great options since manual firing is a thing.

Why not? Skaven weapons are unreliable at best, it would make sense for it to behave strangely. Just hyperaccelerate the 'projectile' and maybe have it ignore trees.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Sedisp posted:

Even then hitscan things that target individual units might not be something the engine has in it. Just making the projectile go very fast might also cause balance issues or animation issues, or it could just be a case of it didn't play or look very well when they did it. usually if a bunch of dudes on a dead gay comedy forum have come up with an idea some dev chained to a Creative Assembly desk thought of it to and it was a disaster.

Like they put so much pointless detail into everything else it's hard to imagine they just took one of the most iconic things about the Skaven and just half assed it.

I'm not saying they hosed it up or I have a better idea, just that your specific objections didn't seem to make much sense. I'm sure I'll be satisfied however they do it.

More generally, I do wish Games Workshop hadn't redone the Lightning Cannon. It's been a while since I kept up with tabletop and my last memory of the Warp Lightning Cannon was this

which I just discovered apparently became this...mess

that lightning bolt at the end makes the thing look particularly cheap.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Wow, and I thought Nagash was a little over the top...

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

PlushCow posted:

I cant remember town names but I got into a defensive alliance with a southern human faction that got into a fight with dwarves, and then I was able to confederate that faction but still was fighting dwarves in the south,

Be very careful about allying with anyone fighting dwarfs, unless you are prepared to exterminate all dwarf factions. They will never, ever forget it. If an ally gets into a war with dwarfs I usually leave them to it and take the penalty for not joining, unless I'm orcs or am ready for them as VC.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 18, 2017

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Also the game will still be banned in china because it depicts ghosts and skeletons in a way that they can't easily handwave away, which is a big no-no for CCP's media censors.

What? How does World of Warcraft exist in China then? Including the Forsaken and the Scourge. And they aren't mainlanders jumping on Taiwanese servers, it is sold openly and officially there.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

SoftNum posted:

WoW uses revised models that don't look like skeletons.

poo poo, they actually censored that, years after release. Only the CCP.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I honestly hope we don't get Cathay or Ind. Making a faction out of another color of humans in any fantasy setting, combined with GW's method of making armies out of outlandish stereotypes, sounds like a very hard thing to pull off without veering into cringe territory.

Tomb Kings works because modern Egypt has no cultural or linguistic connection with the Pharaonic era, also they're all bones. Making a human faction with noticeable Indo-Pakistani or Chinese influence would be a minefield.

Araby could maybe work as long as they're diverse (not all brown), though the name is still ehhhh

ZearothK posted:

Another possibility could be a feature as simple as allowing respecs for generals, automatic for confederated ones. A small thing, but one every veteran player has been waiting for.

Respec-on-confederation makes sense, but this veteran player likes being forced to live with his choices. Not to mention it would be yet another tool we have that the AI couldn't use properly and it would be cheesy as hell in head-to-head multiplayer. Leave respeccing to the modders.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

imo it is entirely possible to make a cool fantasy chinese/indian/arabic faction, but the existing stuff for those GW factions is... not a good start

Pretty much this. I have faith in CA, given their background with actual history, but Warhammer was never meant to be a sober or accurate portrayal--which is why it appeals to me!--and I have less faith in the ability of GW to be as witty and familiar with Middle Eastern, Indian, and East Asian cultures as they are with European ones. I could be wrong, but that's my fear.

And I'm not accusing anyone of racism. The word I used was 'cringe.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

On the other hand never again will we have to play the boring 'deploy/undeploy' minigame.

Will heroes naturally gain xp by sitting in provinces now? Deploying used to give you a chunk but now that's gone.

• Locked thread