Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Jesus, that's an OP! Thanks for the new thread, game is actually pretty easy to just pick up and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nasgate posted:

I imagine they'd still hold up pretty well on normal. Once you start getting into leadership penalties from difficulty, the gobbos would probably rout before you can tell.

Seriously though, great weapon warriors do piss all damage to unarmored targets.

Chomp can be an rear end, but you almost got it with leadership, except harder isn't leadership penalties, easy gives you so much bonus that it can unbalance things.

Goblins don't have the best leadership, so removing that issue makes them way stronger on easy. I'd highly recommend moving battle difficulty to normal, even if you keep the campaign on easy, it's a lot more interesting and I think the game really shines there more.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

This isn't a thing anymore.

It is. Also yes, hard and very hard give leadership penalties, but easy gets bonuses, normal is mostly 0 values.

Question about adding more ai actions per turn, did the AI seem smarter and perform better? Or did it just increase agent spam?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm alone all weekend, I've already got the full Lord of the Rings series ready to go, looking to do a 1st playthrough of anything not VC... so orcs, dwarves, chaso, orhumans... so hard to choose.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I just see him as an extra difficulty mode for VC.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Mazz (or anyone), no idea if this is way outside mod range, but the AI unit compositions often suck, because the rules they have to play by. What if it was a more blatant tactical cheat, they can recruit any unit from a tier you, the player, has access to. I.e., of you have a level 4 city, the AI can build any tier 4 unit, regardless of the buildings it has.

I know other non tw games have tried this, and while cheating, it puts the player at a constant disadvantage, but for units fielded, not state boosting. It also would allow for some more epic late game battles where the AI can field poo poo.

Side note, if you pause in battle you're giving yourself a give boost over the AI. It's 100% unfair to judge the AI if you pause.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mazz posted:

AFAIK it would be really hard and probably be script based if it was possible at all, so it's extremely unlikely. Recruitment is also explictly tied to the buildings themselves, tier is kinda irrelevant. Each factions buildings are different so you can't just try to draw lines between them either.

Hmm, could you add units to buildings then? It'd be a pain, you'd have to make a new mod so it adds to just the AI buildings and not player ones. Or only boost the minor factions, which all are seperate. If that even works. Ah well, game is still plenty hard on vh.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

I completely disagree with this. The AI can give simultaneous orders to all its troops, is constantly aware of everything that is happening on the battlefield and can react to multiple threats at once. Players have to use a mouse to give orders and can only see what they have the camera pointed at. Pausing doesn't give the player a boost over the AI at all, it lets them play by the same rules.

The AI really doesn't abuse this with perfect micro, otherwise their ranged cav. would be unstoppable. But more important, it was made to process the battle in real time. When you pause, you not only gain time to act, but you gain time to think, which the AI can't do. And in comparing how "smart" the AI is, it's entirely unfair to say the AI is dumb, when you basically pause time to process things, while it can not.

If there was some crazy deep learning AI that could continue to process, update, and react while you pause, then it'd be fair.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Recruitment and attrition difficulties are the closest we get to simulated supply lines. Grow a pair.

Yeah, I really like it, I usually use 1 extra lord, max the blue line and have them recruit, run to an area in need and switch I'm new poo poo to my real armies, have him go back a sacking route and lose the old chaffey. I love it.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

So how do you goons feel about replayability?

You have at least 5 rather distinctly different races that all play differently, the minor faction AI's have some randomization in their starting personality/relationships to you and each other, the map is large enough that you can go to new areas each time, and that's just vanilla, there's already a large number of mods, and a big amount of incoming DLC factions.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Robo Reagan posted:

Now that the game's been out for a bit does it top Total War: Shogun 2? Rome and Attiila fell flat for me compared to it.

It's the best selling game in the TW series, and the general opinion in this thread is that it's by far the best single player.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
A lot of people here are saying using rebellions to get better public order and then gaining experience is cheesing. But, it's not really unintended, rather just a bit tedious, and there's a huge historical basis for it, nations letting a trouble town go crazy then role in your elite troops for some easy clean up. Hell, most armies loot defeated armies for supplies and funds too, even in a civil war.

Also that, it fits orc lore.
\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 20, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Utilizing to good effect a rebellion that happens anyway is something nobody here will call cheese. It's cheese when you intentionally allow a place that you are capable of stabilizing to repeatedly rebel in order to farm free xp/loot

That's what I'm saying has historical basis and it may have balance issues, but it's an international mechanic, raiding your own land even has a tooltip.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Just wait until it bugs out and you get an unwinnable campaign because Chaos tore down the last VC city and yet their grudge still sits, unfinishable.

In theory, could you deploy like a ton (like 25+) agents to drop their public order, loot & sack the chaos occupied former VC city, to force a rebellion and have a weak enough garrison left that the rebels can take the city, and then the VC rebels will count to the grudge?

If the city is razed, I guess you could wait another 100 turns until someone resettles it and do the above. Just a what-if question, not something anyone should be seriously doing.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

As VC at what point should you throw caution to the wind and just embrace being at war with all of your neighbors?

Very hard, I prefer never, hard and below whenever you feel, especially if you go zombie heavy and can get a trillion dead bodies everywhere.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NT Plus posted:

I've never gone into multiplayer so I don't know these "cheese strats" since nobody ever elaborates on it. What sort of cheese should I come to expect?

Literally everything I do. Beaten to the real definition.

Basically don't panic and it should be a free win. Also never quite really, someone posted 3 battles a couple days ago and good opponent just quit, despite our goon being fairly certain of defeat. Don't quite if you have units.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

IS there any point to Reiksguard Knights after you have Demigryphs?

Demigryphs don't yell poo poo that's as cool as the Reiksguard! But more seriously, if you're Karl Franz, you get 10% reduced upkeep to the Reiksguard, if you've got a big Empire, reiksguard are just about a perfect cav for most of your armies. Money is pretty key to this game.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

The only one that actually looks like a wall though is for province capitals and those have walls no matter what.

Chomp being an rear end to new people is a thread theme.

But! I do want to say, rough as he may be in posting, watching the multi-player vids he played in was impressive, Chomp does know tactics.

Edit: I don't dislike you, I just want more people to get into this game, and the UI really is hell.
\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 13, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, VC corruption isn't actually an advantage of VC, it's just an annoying tax that forces you to terraform regions before settling them. It's a shame because the idea is good. Modding out AI order bonuses helps a little, but not enough to make me feel like a vampire overlord slowly engulfing the world. It just makes you waste gold on public order buildings until you lose the corruption penalty on settlements.

This is a late reply, but corruption is 100% needed to balance raise dead. It's almost broken as is. I stayed a VC by running and sailing to marienberg. From there I started to raid the skaeling, but really I noted it would not be possible to hold a lot of costal cities. As it is, the VC can viably invade and hold any other city they want from the start (I've also gone south, that's even easier) and pincer their lands together. (VH/VH).

Don't forget a big rebellion can lead to massive casualty counts at key border cities, so lack of order can be a good thing.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is there a mod or is it just regular coop, where you can both control the same army in a battle? Like archon mode in SC2. Otherwise I can see it getting boring for someone if they're not fighting.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Flakey posted:

In regular coop the owner of the army can gift units for the other player to use. Just click Spectate as the other player, and in the battle the owner selects the unit and then clicks Gift in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Awesome! Thank you, I don't know if I would ever have found this. Huzzah total war.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What is the best mod to play as the same race for a Co-op multiplayer campaign?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

If I liked this game can I go back and play Shogun 2 / Fall of the Samurai now, or will I hate it in comparison to Warhammer?

FotS is pretty fun I think, but it's definitely visually dated and the diversity of races is significantly less.

Edit: I agree the FotS 1860's stuff is amazing.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 14, 2016

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

The problem I had with VC while learning the game was that the AI just gets steamrolled by Chaos and it ends up being my problem.

Part of why I think Empire is the hardest faction to play.

My issue is that I found the campaign start way too easy, so it's tough to learn.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dre2Dee2 posted:

let us reach train sim levels of dlc :allears:

The flc portion so far has been great, I think it's closer to a civ 5 then trains so far. All races being free as opponents is so great. I don't really care about beastmen, but it's fun to kill them.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TipsyMcStagger posted:

how does AI assassinate work? I've reloaded a game about 8 times and it makes no difference on the auto-save for critical success assassination on my lord.

I don't want to encourage save scum, but after you reload, do some stuff, destroy a building, fight a battle, something. This will give you a new RNG figure. Your lord can die, it's part of the fun, deal with the fun of it :) It'll be more fun in the long run.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Does this game have a decently functional encyclopedia? Attila had a passable system, but I still remember how bad Rome II's was.

No.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Knight posted:

I've turned against checkerboard. It's functional yeah, I used it all through a VH campaign, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's totally unnecessary for querrellers with their arcs. Cannons can shoot over lines for most of the fight as well, and single out units that break through once the lines meet. That leaves thunderers as the main beneficiaries, but I don't think that they're great. Very low rate of fire. For AP I prefer cannons and hammerers, or GW longbeards. On the negative side, I find that checkerboard ing leads to much heavier casualties among the front line as they get flanked through the gaps. Additionally, the AI will charge heroes, chariots, and monsters right through the gaps into your squishies.

It's still very simple, will help you easily gain lots of chevrons on your range, and as you stated, will let you win on very hard. Additionally, early on when you only have poo poo warriors, it's not a big deal if they take a little extra damage.

Also thunderers are great.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

(and vampires technically, but honestly vampires don't seem to do a whole lot under the AI)

My current VH empire game I have only expanded west, and the vampires are now my neighbors, there is some AI rng elements and the vampires can kick rear end. The AI really does need some kind of cheat for building requirements though to give them cooler units.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to do a full VH Dwarf or Orc for the first time, I've done the rest now. Which one should I do? I'm also gonna use the conquer anywhere, cause meh achievements.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I hope they resolve the side saddling issue by adding an animation that when the units are flanked from the opposite side, they go flying through the air casting spells the whole way until they explode upon landing. Although I'm not really sure what the issue is, CA took a shortcut to reuse a model, we get a whole new race with magic and tree ents and badass archers, I'm pretty excited, this game has been incredible so far.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

Yeah wood elves don't seem like they have much sustain at all. I mean we'll see. Give me the elves, I want the elves

Who needs hp's when you have arrows. The arrows even come in different flavors, just in case you were getting bored of one type. Also a tree dragon and treebeard. I'm pumped for wood elves.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Started with duthru, was a bit easy so restarted with orion and having a lot of fun. Sniped carcassonne's Capitol in a brutal battle, then cleared out the beastmen.

The best turn 1/2 I could find is to recruit 3 shiternal guard t1 at your border and build the way watcher poison shard building. T2, raze your normal barracks, build the income building, and use your agent to go after those walls.

T3 you can siege out the Capitol and build a small 2nd stack at home for public order, or if you get the walls it's just possible to take the city. Beastmen won't attack you if you are sieging, so use that to your advantage.

Oh and go the red chain basically always, +armor +melee to all units in your army is how you can go aggressive, eternal guard end up functioning a lot like zombies in the campaign, except you have archers. Suicide always beats ai.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Helion posted:

Yes, you. Look you weren't getting laid tonight anyway.

You can still get laid. The game is great in almost every way, you can play and win without a massive all consuming empire.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I dunno if this is really a spoiler at this point, and it really doesn't affect me in any way because he's garbage, but I've beaten the grand campaign twice and still have not unlocked Sarthorael. Am I just bugged or is there something I'm missing?

VVVVVVV Yeah, once with Kholek.

Mod enabled at any point during the campaign?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

You can quite happily wait in the forest for 50 turns researching stuff and getting a few garrison levels on your lords before venturing out into a messier world map.

At what difficulty? I'm on my 2nd play through, so I haven't seen it a ton, but that seems like a quick way to failure. Get that 2nd stack rolling asap and kill something, the AI passive income bonuses are pretty rough to overcome on 1 city...

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Also Great Eagles loving suck, jesus. I'm using one from a Waystone garrison defense and this poo poo is going even with a unit of Ungor Raiders, for gently caress's sake. What are they even for? Hawk Riders at least are semi-decent flank chargers with bonus arrows I guess.

I think it's the fear/terror flying flank at T4? I can't even think of anything else, and they aren't even sort of worth having.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

This 120MB patch is taking up 20GB+ of my hard drive then failing because of a lack of disk space.

Has anyone else had this, and is there a way to fix it? I've uninstalled everything I'm willing to.

As far as I know you have to reinstall. The issue is that in looks for room for the full loving game before installing the 120mb patch. You don't have the 33ish gigs available to fit the whole thing, so you can't get the tiny patch :(

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rebellions happen at -100 public order, a small rebel army will generate outside the province Capitol (provided you own it) and you can kill it for free hero xp, gold, and items. You will then get +20 to order. Abuse this at least while you're learning the game.

Agents get better as they level generally, they level for doing poo poo even if they fail. Wizards basically should just go blue line and generate money though, magic isn't as cool as gold.

Confederation is tricky, I usually prefer total war diplomacy.

Marienburg is not mandatory, and it definitely isn't always a gold mine, the safest route I think is to go SW into Briton land and ally with the elves, but really any way but north is good.

Ambush stance is OP as gently caress, learn it, love it.

Unrelated, my current empire campaign is great, a quick burn to VC land, got nearly bankrupt and a full rebel stack sieging which resulted in me capturing 2 great cannons. VC stuff was fun, managed to snipe Castle Templehorf turn 15, next goal is to take on some border princes ports. I think the 2 castles and couple border towns are finally enough income, but not too much land so I can take out the skaeling in time to meet chaos head on in the north. (VH)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

dylguy90 posted:

Man, not letting people import custom units in mods is really bumming me out. All I want is to have my Kislevite winged lancers, man...

Nevermind I realized the part you're talking about, I agree, they really need to open up the mods.

• Locked thread