Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm a total warham and this game is destroying my life like fentanyl. A+ two hams up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can I get some advice on the Sliver Slash battle? So many forsaken reinforcements just wear down my Warriors and chosen to nothing by the end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This mod also looks like it has promise (found on reddit)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698364760

It basically changes the color of your empire soldiers to match the region you recruited them in so they aren't all Reikland colors. I haven't tried it yet but I like mods that add a little bit more color to the game.

They're all Talebheim colors IIRC. Reikland has some blue in there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's because skelton archers are the Egyptian thing.

I hope they extend the decent balance to the rest of the factions. Warhammer the game is known for terrible balance, so you'd never see certain armies like Tomb Kings or Beastmen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mordja posted:

About that; what are the Tomb Kings' specialty, anyway? Or are they an all-rounder faction like the Empire?

Being awful, on tabletop. They had an underwhelming army list in 5th edition I think and were never updated from 6th to the end of support.

Theoretically they're more like a lovely human army than an undead army. They use cheap regenerating tarpits like undead, but have a complete roster with ranged, artillery, and cavalry like a human army. They also have some monsters.

I think one problem they've always had is that nobody knew what they were supposed to do. Undead skirmishers with monsters? Lots of cheap, bad ranged cavalry? Characters that buff "elite" skeleton axe infantry to sort-of-okay levels?

They have a cool aesthetic and story, since Nagash's spell was so good that a lot of them retain the personality they had in life. You have skeleton mans farming and fishing and politicking in their pyramids because as far as their single-minded undead brains are concerned they're still a human empire with human affairs. They're undead with some personality. And their tomb guardian Egypt style magic statues are neat monsters.

I think they could be a good faction with a very cheap and flexible empire-style roster backed up by necromancy and monsters, but they desperately need a balance pass. Hordes of garbage troops need to be balanced out with some standout units and some synergy with their characters. On the tabletop they never got that. Even their magic synergy stuff had amazingly lovely abilities, like lords who didn't cause crumble checks on certain units when they died. So for the ability to fire you'd have to pretty much lose the game.

Flexible skirmish style undead could be a cool idea, like characters getting to place free reinforcing skeleton horse archers anywhere in deployment or something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Perestroika posted:

In many respects they're similar in to the Vampire Counts, in that they don't have to deal with morale, cause fear, and have a lot of lovely skeletons to make up their front line. But where Vampire counts lean on monsters and very powerful characters to do their killing, Tomb Kings instead get some actually fairly respectable shooting (they basically have magic arrows for all their archers), and pretty mobile cavalry and especially chariots. They do also have some monsters and monstrous infantry, but it's not as much of a focus for them as it is for VC. Their Lords also serve more in a buffing role, rather than the standalone combat monsters that vampires tend to be.

"Actually fairly respectable" was the best Tomb Kings units had to offer, which was the problem. So their skeleton archers hit 1/3 of their shots, but they always hit 1/3 of their shots! These skeleton ax guys still have awful stats, but they don't hit last if you include a lord in their unit to buff them! These skeleton cavalry can barely take out 10 Wood Elf archers, but they are technically fast cavalry! And on and on, they just sort of limped through the game with mediocre everything.

If I was going to balance them I'd probably make it so you could choose between mediocre basic troops and powerful characters and monsters, or go the buffing route and have a decent-ish line with actually powerful chariots and cavalry, but your monsters and characters would be more for utility than winning the battle.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chariots made of skeletons!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

Are you guys talking about 8th edition TKs? Didn't they have huge skeletons with ballista bows and huge animated murder statues and snake riders and cool monstrous poo poo in addition to so-so undead infantry and cav

Yeah aesthetically it's cool as hell. I hope CA does their balance thing for them without making them play the same as vampire counts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The surplus of kings is an especially nice touch. Since they were petty kingdoms and every generation of rulers got resurrected, and they're immortal, there are way way too many kings, like hundreds and hundreds of them. Too many kings with too many soldiers running around fighting an undead forever war, only stopping when Settra decides to gently caress something up or an invading army comes to loot some tombs.

Imagine how you'd feel if you woke up and some rear end in a top hat great-great grandson decided he got to be the king! Ungrateful poo poo! Fortunately all your loyal immortal soldiers are pretty sure their king is the real king, and bang you get a thousand years of pointless battles in the desert.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 8, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What are people's opinions about chariots?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There should be a mod that starts Chaos hordes with more pop. Starting at 2 with a marauder building is just trash and bad and I hate it so much. I don't mind paying for buildings but everything costs pop for hordes, not just the size upgrade. Being unable to build anything for 8-10 turns is bad and stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol gently caress the Norse factions jfc

Skaeling currently own two settlements btw.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No no, that's a mistranslation, albeit an understandable one when we're dealing with adapting a European intellectual property.

It's actually Toe-To-Tail Warhammer - goatmen, giant rats, gigantic birdmen, and other anthropomorphic animals fighting each other in a dark medieval setting.

Dark literally -- the collapse of the whaling guild and the subsequent lighting shortage is a major plot point

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

So... running as Empire is kicking my arse. Hard diff. Mainly Norsca and various northern tribes. Dogs and fast Cav seem to dance around my blocks of spears and swords and head right to my cannons and crossbow. Had a couple of guys zig zag between 4 sword and spear units just to engage my cannon. I like running heavy cannon (4) after dwarf run. Isn't there some threat range that forces the calvary to engage my melee? I've even had then charge through my unit and hit the crossbow to almost disengage and them go from cannon to cannon group. A pain as I have to turn off the melee toggle on my crossbow and then re-select the guncrew on the cannon. A bit of a pain. Wondering why I'm so bad at micro. Also I am trying to put a protective block around the crew but marauders always dance around them. Annoying.

If they're really bothering you, crossbowmen and shield spears can make squares very easily. Four spear units and two bow units per square.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, a random event just killed a high level sorcerer aka the only way chaos can get favored field engagements at the moment. Lame!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nash posted:

How are people building Sigvald to be an unstoppable machine? Do you just pump the armor defense and hp skills, or more of an even spread of both offense and defense?

Just get his quest armor. I did build him defensively but it seems like overkill, he just has silly health regeneration in combat. The only thing that's dented him is a volley from a thunder squad and a grudge thrower, but he healed that back up while still fighting a melee in a couple minutes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Epic as gently caress! :black101:

I had no idea Bretonnia was this fleshed out already.

Should I be concerned about walking up a hill into 6 grail knights?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Woaaah I sacked Couronne for 44000 favor and then Louen Leoncour rolled up with two armies and kicked my rear end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Army Writeup: Warriors of Chaos

Chaos is the most challenging campaign to play, mostly because of their campaign map mechanics. Chaos has unique horde buildings, no settlements, and lacks some key abilities especially in the early game. However they do have a ton of fun units from rock-hard infantry to excellent light cavalry to more monstrous units than you can flee from. Their legendary lords are flat-out broken; any of the three can reliably solo ten units once they’re past level 15 or so, Sigvald can kill a whole army given enough time, and facing only mid-tier troops Kholek can rout a full line.

One reason Chaos is fun is that you're encouraged to diversify your recruitment, so you're likely to see every unit in the roster by turn 100 or so. Unlike settled races where you'll have economic provinces and one or two recruiting provinces, Chaos has no economic buildings and has to do its recruiting through multiple hordes. You might as well specialize each horde, and so you'll be able to recruit every unit in the course of a normal Chaos campaign. That's cool because Chaos has a lot of wild units that aren't just your guys with different weapons or guys on horses with different weapons.

They’re diverse, different, favor short sharp actions and are a lot of fun to play on the tactical map. Boy howdy do you have to slog through some poo poo to get there though.

Campaign Mechanics

The basic Chaos unit on the campaign map is the Warband, also known as a Horde. Like other races, you will have an army led by a lord. Unlike other races, the army is a permanent object with its own structures and population attached. You cannot settle towns or cities. Ever. The horde is your only economy, so protect and manage it. Don't expect it to pay for itself though, you will only get the favor you need by killing and destroying.

Horde Management

Each horde building costs population to build, and how much population it will cost depends on how many buildings already exist in the horde, so population and growth management is critical. Growth is abysmal for small, early hordes. Increasing population growth will be your highest priority. So high in fact that you should beeline for the horde growth skill on each of your lords before you start upgrading anything else. The horde’s core building governs tier progression, upkeep, pop growth, and recruitment slots, so it’s important to upgrade.

In a horde with only its core building, new low-tier buildings will cost 2 pop cap. With two buildings, a new low-tier building will cost 4, and so on. Usual tier restrictions to building apply, so you’ll need to upgrade your core building to unlock higher tier structures. Since you need 13 pop to upgrade to the highest core building level, you’ll probably want to focus as much pop there as possible to increase growth. After that, you’ll need 2 pop cap for a first structure, then 4 for a second, and so on, while upgrades and higher tier buildings will need more pop as well. A horde takes a long-rear end time to grow pop. Garrison every turn (only move 75% your max move) and raze settlements for growth bonuses.

Losing a horde is a disaster, since they start out so weak. You will need to protect new hordes while they grow, even if it means hiding in a corner losing money until you stride out onto the map.

Marauder infantry sucks, yet it’s the only infantry you’ll get out of a fresh horde for a long while. Consider destroying your marauder building once you have 2 pop to build the Chaos Warrior building instead. Make sure you recruit all the light cavalry you need first.

Campaign Movement

Campaign movement is a contender for Chaos’s biggest handicap. Chaos just doesn’t have ambush mode, full stop. (This appears to be a holdover from Attila.) Even worse, the Block Army action is only available on a level 8+ sorcerer. Really. The upshot is that there is mechanically no way of fighting a field battle with an AI army that doesn’t think it can win. I recommend bee-lining for the Block Army skill in the second half of the bottom sorcerer tree. It’s that important.

One way to trick AI into thinking they can fight you is keeping your army at 16-18 units, and dispatching an Exalted Champion to assault the army once it’s in your move range. The AI won’t be able to escape from the now-unfavored fight. This brings us to the other big challenge of the Chaos campaign: the Norse and auto-resolve.

The Campaign

Leading hordes of Chaos warriors and monsters into the southern lands and laying waste with giants, ogres, and black knights astride nightmare steeds is awesome, but to get to that part you have to subjugate Norsca first, and the Norscans absolutely suck to fight on the tactical battle map. A typical Norscan army, as you might be aware from playing other campaigns, is mostly light cavalry. As Chaos, you have exactly the same light cavalry, so aside from speed buffs from lords or banners you can’t catch Norse cavalry. This makes fighting tactical battles with them tedious at best. So you’d better autoresolve, except you can’t catch the AI on the campaign map if it thinks it will lose an autoresolve.

Fortunately there is a way through this: just go past them. Get lightning strike on your lords to avoid getting overwhelmed and ignore Norse stacks. Just attack, loot and destroy their settlements with autoresolve. You'll want to sack at least once before razing, and attack newly-awakened tribes to subjugate them. All these easy battles are a great way to level your lords and heroes.

Hide new hordes far back in the east if you need to, because the AI will kill them if you give it the opportunity. Once you have sorcerers and exalted heroes you can use them to either block or trick the AI into fights that you can win in autoresolve. I recommend the easy agents mod, since you’re up against at least five factions between Skaeling, Varg, Kraka Drak, Ostland and Kislev, who will all be able to recruit and level agents much faster than your slow-growing hordes.

Once you’ve devastated Norsca congratulations, money should be no object and it’s time to lay waste to the realms of men.

The Armies

Legendary Lords

Kholek Suneater

Kholek is a monstrous LL, the only one in the game as far as I know. He is a monster-sized unit with cavalry speed, huge damage and AoE attacks. He can easily solo multiple units and break a flank charging by himself, although he’s not invincible. Good candidate for starting lord as it will take forever to get the building that unlocks him and he comes with Dragon Ogres, which are also monstrous cavalry. He can also smash through gates. Awesome at level 1, awesome at level 30. You will want to level his armor and give him a good armor drop, as he doesn’t get a quest armor and starts with something very low like armor 36. Unlocked by building a Dragon Ogre Gathering

Prince Sigvald “Siggy” the Magnificent

Sigvald is a pretty underwhelming melee lord with no mount options when he starts out, but he’s the most potent of the Chaos legendary lords in the long run. Sigvald’s Auric Armor combined with a sprinkling of defense skills and ward save will make him virtually invincible on the battlefield. He simply heals too fast to damage. Perfect for siege battles; I’ve had Sigvald personally kill more than 600 men on a fortress wall. Best to leave the game running and go make yourself a sandwich if you opt for this strategy. Other than that he has no standout weaknesses or strengths. His quest battles are pretty tough. Sigvald is very easy to unlock, just awaken or subjugate a tribe four times.

Archaeon “Chaos Poochy” the Everchosen

Archaeon is a Chaos Lord and Fire Sorcerer rolled into one, with some unique buff options for Chaos elite cavalry thrown in for good measure. He’s like a regular chaos lord, but with better gear and fire spell access. Whether you can realistically make use of four skill trees I don’t know, but they’re there! Unlocked by sacrificing captives to the gods 10 times. Archaeon would be pretty easy to unlock if you could catch Norse armies in the field to get the after-battle sacrifice option. Once you have some heroes to help you catch AI armies on the map he should unlock shortly.

Heroes

Exalted Champion

Champions are badass melee heroes, as you’d expect from a guy who looks like he do. You’ll probably want to spec them for campaign map assassination and assault work, but they lead a cavalry charge on the tactical map just fine vanilla. Once you have your blue skills you can level them into a dedicated leader of Chaos Knights or put them on a terrifying Manticore to zip around ganking annoying or hard-to-get enemies. The Manticore gets poison if you put points into it, making this guy an excellent battlefield troubleshooter indeed. A very good if unsubtle melee hero.

Chaos Sorcerer

You’re going to want death sorcerers and you’re going to want as many as you can get your hands on. Sorcerers are your only option for Block Army, and since you don’t have ambush they’re your only option for catching AI armies on the map. Beeline for block army, you should have it by level 8. After that level your death magic. Purple Sun is the only bad spell in the list as far as I know, everything else is good to excellent. You start with Spirit Leech which is one of the best spells in the game anyway. Every horde should have one of these guys ASAP.

Units

Marauder Tree

You start out with the tier 1 marauder building, and while the infantry it provides is weak the light cavalry will be useful all game. It’s also the only light cavalry you’ll get all game so :shrug:

Chaos Marauders

Chaos Marauders are your basic shirtless Norse axmen. They have no armor but they do have shields and are fairly fast. They aren’t awful on the level of Goblins, but they are decidedly weak in comparison to all the warrior units you’ll have access to later. You’ll probably need them to form some sort of line, even though they’re bad at taking hits. You will lose fights to anything that isn’t tier 1 infantry itself so plan accordingly with flank and rear charges to decide combat. Spam them in the early game, then fire them and never look back.

Great Weapon Marauders

Same guys, only with armor-piercing damage and no shields. Melt like summer snow under arrow fire. Don’t buy upgraded Chaos Marauders unless you have some sort of reason.

Marauder Horsemen

Marauder Horsemen are your basic ranged light cavalry. They throw javelins and have a lousy range, and they can charge with lances in a pinch. Virtually no armor. These guys will be important for skirmishing with the seemingly-infinite Norse horsemen and whittling down unarmored marauder units in the early game. Beware though, against the settled people you have to remember they will be shredded by a real archer unit. These guys have Vanguard, so they are excellent for picking off pesky artillery if you can manage it.

Throwing Ax Horsemen

These horsemen trade some range for armor piercing damage. There’s literally no other difference.

Chaos Warhounds

Chaos Warhounds are an excellent cheap light cavalry unit. They have lousy leadership and don’t do a ton of damage, but they are fast and excel in rear charges and pursuit. You should be using these until filling up your ranks with top tier Chaos Knights becomes an option.

Poison Chaos Warhounds

Poison hounds are everything that the regular guys are, except they also apply a nasty debuff to anything they attack. Slowed and debuffed enemies are a good thing whether you’re charging an engaged line or chasing down fleeing archers, so it’s all gravy really. Weak against armor.

Chaos Warriors

Warrior units are your bread and butter infantry. They’re heavily armored, come with good weapon options, and have good leadership that goes up to excellent with research and buffs.

Warriors

Warriors come in three flavors: ax and shield, great ax, and halberd. They’re a tier 2 unit so don’t expect them to work miracles, but they will wear down all other tier 2 infantry with their superior armor, skill and damage. Perfect for pinning an enemy line in place. However as you progress you may want to sub them out for more line-breaking units. Chaos more than any other faction can just charge directly onto an enemy line and win, and Warriors are not going to do that for you. Not quickly anyway.

Chosen

Chosen are Better Warriors and become available at Tier 4. They come in the same flavors… but better. These guys should form the core of any late game army. With shields, it will take high-tech artillery units, monsters, or armor-piercing shock cavalry to bring them down reliably. Chosen are the best anvil unit in the army, and you can get them with halberds if you’re fighting a monster-heavy enemy too.

Chaos Chariots

Chariots are a bit of an odd duck in a list with so many strong line-breaker and cavalry options. They have heavy armor but only okay leadership and come with three models. They will smash through lines, but can be unwieldy in extracting themselves for cycle charging. That’s not to say they’re bad, they are decent at breaking lines and can do rear and flank charges just fine. Their big problem is that they aren’t chaos knights or dragon ogres, both units that do the same job but better. They are a T3 unit, so they will be available sooner than either the ogres or knights though. If you want line-breaking cavalry ASAP this is your guy.

Gorebeast Chariots

A slower chariot with better damage, charge bonus and armor. Not a whole lot else to say about them; they are good at their job but suffer overlap with units that are even better at it.

Hellcannon

The hellcannon is a powerful cannon with a high arc of fire and iffy but not terrible accuracy. They fire explosive bolts with armor piercing damage. They will tend to lose artillery duels with cannons and towers, but if you want to punish enemy elites or wipe out annoying ranged cavalry from a distance this is your unit. It’s the only ranged unit in the chaos list that isn’t a marauder horse unit so it’s your only choice.

Magic Units

The Arcane Vortex tree is mandatory for getting sorcerers, just for their campaign map utility, but also has a couple of great midgame units.

Forsaken

Forsaken are your berserker sword infantry. These guys have bad armor and no shields but have good leadership, do a lot of damage and have armor-piercing. These are classic flank charge infantry and they make an excellent pair with more tanky warriors in the center. They will die in droves but they’re not too expensive and you’ll need the building chain anyway. It’s not uncommon for me to see a Forsaken unit break 100 kills against large armies, and that’s not pursuit!

Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn are basically monstrous Forsaken. They also have bad armor, but they are unbreakable, armor-piercing, and monstrous. I’m not sure if they cause fear or terror, but it’s definitely one or the other. Spawn will also die, but they have low upkeep for a monster unit and can be recruited in one turn. They can bash down gates but aren’t likely to survive long enough against lots of missile fire. Spawn are probably your earliest line-breaking unit and you should invest in them even though they’ll die a lot. Two or three spawn units have enough size and momentum to smash up the enemy line and make them easy prey for isolation, flank and rear charges by your infantry or cavalry.

Chaos Knights

Chaos Knights are heavy sword cavalry. They aren’t fast cavalry and they don’t have lances, but they fight better than shock cavalry once in the melee. They’re a good replacement for lighter utility cavalry as enemies tech up. Of course, even without lances they make excellent flank and rear chargers, but they don’t have the speed of dogs or the impact of chariots. A good all-rounder that doesn’t excel at anything. Armored and shielded.

Chaos Lance Knights

Knights with lances are chaos knights, but with lances. Worse at melee but better at charging. Aside from monstrous cavalry this is your premier shock unit. Very comparable to Reiksguard.

Chaos Trolls

Trolls are an odd one, they only have the one Tier 4 structure for both armored and unarmored trolls. Trolls’ whole gimmick is being monstrous infantry that are nigh-impossible to kill because of health regeneration. Their damage output is respectable though they aren’t the threshing machines that Spawn are. They need to stay near a character to get leadership buffs because of their poor leadership. Armored trolls have more armor. They’re acceptable line breaking units but redundant in a list that includes Shaggoths, Giants and Spawn. Good but not great gatebreakers.

Dragon Ogres

Dragon Ogres are monstrous cavalry, and they are badical as all hell. They’re not as tough as giants and trolls or as killy as spawn, but they move at cavalry speed and have big splashy AoE attacks on normal sized units. Unlike normal sized shock cavalry Dragon Ogres are equally happy sticking around and fighting as they are cycle charging. They’re less for breaking straight through a line and more for flank charging, but they’ll still ruin an infantry unit’s day. Will break down gates, but slowly. If you don’t start with Kholek, you’ll eventually want to unlock the T4 Dragon Ogre structure to get him and these guys. But honestly you should get them anyway.

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

Like Kholek but not quite as good. A really big monstrous cavalry, like a cavalry giant. Smashes things and has a big HP pool on one model, so he can fight for a long time before dying. Good. Buy this guy if you don’t have Kholek. Definitely better than chariots. Breaks down gates.

Chaos Giant

Giants cause terror, have a huge HP pool and do big AoE attacks. These are the linebreakers par excellence of Chaos. If there’s a line of infantry, direct a giant or two at it and it will soon be a mess. It takes massed and concerted artillery, elite cavalry charges, armor-piercing ranged or most likely all three to bring down a giant. Meanwhile the rest of your army isn’t getting shot, and the giant’s combat efficiency doesn’t suffer until it dies. Expensive but really good. I put them in my line with my Chosen, with Forsaken and Spawn not far behind and infantry lines just disintegrate. Breaks down gates.

Tactics
Chaos is the best army at getting stuck in and winning melee fights. They have almost no shooting, and very little chaff in the list. Unlike Vampire Counts and Empire, they don't rely on flank charges to win a losing battle on the front line. Chaos will just charge up to the front line and win.

That said, there a few tactics to consider.

1. Let your warriors soak damage.

While the whole army is good at doing damage, there's a definite bent towards defense in the Warrior units tree and towards offense in the monsters. Advance with your shield warriors positioned to soak up archer fire. Let units like spawn and forsaked trail a bit; when they hit the line they'll still do a lot of damage, and they won't be as chewed up when they arrive.

2. Smash through their line.

Chaos has so many monsters in its ranks that going directly through the enemy line is a viable option. Giants, trolls, shaggoths, and to a lesser degree chariots, ogres, and spawn can all smash straight through a line of human-sized melee troops. With three or four line-breaker units mixed with/behind your warriors, the enemy line will soon devolve into terrified clumps that offer easy opportunities for flank and rear charges.

3. Do flank charges.

Even though chaos is so great at fighting on the line, flank charges are still important. Your line-breakers facilitate this really well. Between the shock of monsters charging them in the front, slowly losing a melee with warriors, and a flank charge you should be routing flanks much quicker than an Empire or Ork army trying a similar trick.

4. Don't walk, run!

Your shooting is bad. Once you're within range of Dwarf and Empire ranged units, they're going to want as much time as possible to shoot. Don't give it to them. Don't forget to make all your guys start running once you get shot at. When in doubt, get stuck in!

5. Use the hell out of your lords.

Your legendary lords are excellent and can be broken if built correctly. Never leave them sitting in the back. Chaos fights tend to be short and nasty, so you're not likely to be in danger of losing your lord unless the you lose the whole battle.

That's it for the writeup. I'd appreciate pictures; I'm not going to do them myself as it's getting late and all my screenshots were taken before I knew how to get rid of the interface.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 10, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

I haven't done an Empire playthrough yet, tell me Ghal Maraz isn't underwhelming in tactical battles. It's head and shoulders above all the other major magic weapons on the tabletop.

Yeah no it's really good, it's just that most of the challenge of this game is on the campaign map. On harder difficulties you can easily end up in unwinnable tactical battles from bad situations on the campaign map. So the bonus to the campaign map is going to be the big draw. There's not a ton of difference between a killy lord on a griffin and a very killy lord on a griffin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I haven't really been keeping up with development on this but just doing a quick glance through the thread, it looks like the general consensus is that this is actually a really, really drat good Total War? Just from a look here and there it looks pretty cool but how it is compared to say, Shogun 2? (Which was my favorite of the series thus far. I didn't hate Rome 2 but it just didn't quite do it for me the way Shogun did.)

Yup. It is good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

unwantedplatypus posted:

Anybody else notice the references to the Skaven sprinkled in? Grimgor makes a speech referencing his time killing "ratmen" at karak eight peaks. The disappearing population event has been noted. But I got a rare weapon drop, the description said it was forged at eight peaks and is good at killing "grobi and vermin alike."

Does this mean The Best Faction will be coming soon? I hope so. The only other factions I've seen mentioned ingame are the elves and the chaos dwarfs

It may just be fluff, Karak Eight-Peaks is a notorious 4-way shitfest of Dwarfs, Orcs, Skaven, and stupid treasure hunters that come in via the Dwarf-held upper city.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheresNoThyme posted:

How about win conditions? Skaven are allied with Chaos in the lore right?

Do elves have any sworn enemies besides each other? Is the dwarf war thing dead and buried by now? (Not that the dwarfs would ever forgive them ofc)

Iirc the dwarves closed out that grudge when they killed the elf king and took his crown.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fans posted:

The Elves however aren't quite so happy about that.

I think they cooled off after a few hundred years, and now they're just annoyed the dwarfs won't sell it back to them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Dark Elves have always been the best on the ocean, which I hope CA takes advantage of since the tabletop really couldn't. Other than that, they have cheap monsters and some of the best ranged damage output on the tabletop along with more glass cannon style infantry.
Knights on dinosaurs, a hydra, and repeater crossbows/balista

High Elves have very good magic, dragons, and good ranged units and cav. I imagine they'll play similarly to Empire currently, only you'll have smaller formations since there's less Helves.

Lizardmen: I imagine they'll be like Dwarves that traded their guns for dinosaurs. So, slow, high armor, powerful infantry and cavalry. Their ranged infantry are essentially faster, weaker goblin archers.

Ogres: Imagine if Orks were bigger and Goblins were smaller. Bonus points for the ranged ogres using literal cannons as shotguns.
They're the only one i can imagine a campaing specific thing for, which is they probably need to fight constantly for public order. Because they eat so much they need more to eat.

Wood elves; fast cav and tree dude anvils. Oddly enough in 8th edition, they were not a good shooting army. I imagine they will get special passives on the tactical map to allow unrestricted movement in trees, even for their large units.
Something to note about Welve's for possible campaign shenanigans, their queen is also secretly Brettonia's Lady of the Lake, aka their god.

The armies that really live on our current map are Brettonians, High Elves in the trees, Skaven under the Empire, and personally i hope they add Chaos Demons into the chaos wastes(it would give another pressure to the norscans, preventing them from getting so stupid big.)

No that was Lilly Allen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

When playing as Chaos, what determines if I can awaken a settlement?

Every tribe has a couple locations that you can awaken them at. If the tribe already exists you can't awaken them at their locations. Some settlements don't have a tribe associated with them, so you can't awaken anything there.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the fluff the ogres were the perfect race that were going to save the world from chaos but of course the space dinosaurs who made them all got killed or driven off before they could teach them civilization.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kenzie posted:

Why do the skeletons march in such rigid, lockstep formations, while the zombies lurch and stagger around so much? Aren't zombies just skeletons with meat attached to them? :iiam:

It's the stop-motion animation.

Fans posted:

They've said they're tweaking Autoresolve, in particular to stop single units getting wrecked in it.

They also said that the AI was correct to use high HP units as meat shields, it just wasn't what players wanted. The AI is using those units to get fewer deaths in your army, but men are easier to replace than HP on a giant so people aren't happy with what would be proper play outside a campaign context.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure sex in warhammerland involves lying back and thinking of the heldenhammer with no enjoyment involved.

I thought that was pogroms and witch hunts suppressing beast men, cultists, witchcraft, ending practices like exposing babies for the beast men to take so they won't sack your village etc. Life in a random poo poo hole in the empire can be pretty grim and the warrior priests really do crack skulls and end creepy brothers Grimm forest bullshit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

iGestalt posted:

I don't believe so. CA has never and probably will never be able to create actually smart AI (As shown by how it decides to build armies of all archer units).

I don't think anyone has an AI that could play TW intelligently with the resources on your average processor. It's not an easy problem. CA has made great strides over the last decades tbh.

AI is the bug bear of the strategy genre because it's hard to do without eating all your processor cycles and harder if you limit it to low 15% of cycles. "Good AI" typically is bad AI with a lot of tricks and hard-coding in place to make the player think it's good.

Big companies like Bungie and Valve that can afford months of testing have noticed that stuff like forcing the player to watch the AI do stuff increases their perception of its intelligence without touching AI code at all. Ultimately it's about tricking humans intuitive forgetting they're playing against a machine, not about making the machine smarter.:coffee: It's an interesting field.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

Tying recruitment to buildings isn't fun and causes a lot of problems for player and ai alike.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's an intentional AI behavior at the moment. Apparently the simulation is pretty complicated the AI is using High HP pool units to minimize casualties. Of course nobody cares about that because zombies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO it's more interesting than Shogun, probably better than Napoleon. It's a good game.

On the con side, still some balance issues but it's a new game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

It's not as good as late-in-life Rome 2 but it's very good. A ton of potential. I recommend especially if you play TW casually.

What the frigging heck happened to Rome 2 late in its life that would make you say such a thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fangz posted:

Important tip for Chaos: when you are done with Marauders, DELETE THAT BUILDING from your horde. It'll cut the cost of adding, say, the Chaos Warrior barracks from 4 pop to just 2. Indeed, if you have the money, always delete buildings you don't intend to ever use again.

It's only turn 30 or so and I'm teching up to Chosen.

Yeah another reason to get another horde on turn 1. Two warrior buildings, one marauder building, and one magic building will give you every unit role for a grand total of 8 pop for each horde.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Re: sieges

Do siege towers actually do anything? Seems like they're more of a liability than ladders, considering they'll kill a good third of your unit when they inevitably get destroyed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nuclear War posted:

Is there any lore I can read about the dwarf hold up north in the Chaos wastes? That seems like a bad neighbourhood to set up shop in

The dwarf kingdoms predate chaos in the world. Also in the distant past chaos was pretty stupid about trying to conquer the world and the elder races were a lot stronger so it was possible to hold far northern territory.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There better be an actual Middle Earf map you shits.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hi everybody I was just wondering if there's any reason to buy trolls as chaos thanks peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kaza42 posted:

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

10 has been better than 8 in every way in my experience.

• Locked thread