Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Star Trek, I am now about 1 hour and 20 minutes into Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I've seen it before but not since I was a kid). It's got this reputation of being a slow-paced movie that isn't very good, but I think if you watch it with an open mind today, you'll find that it's a slow-paced movie that isn't very good.

It's a shame because there's a potentially great story in there (Kirk exploiting an emergency to take back the Enterprise and the actual captain being rightfully annoyed by this) but they don't really commit hard to it. And it just feels like no one involved actually wants to be there. The kid playing Decker is trying his best (and I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection between First Officer Will Decker who is sometimes at odds with the captain and who has an alien ex-girlfriend and First Officer Will Riker who etc. etc.)

Some of the space shots are really pretty though, which is good BECAUSE YOU'LL BE SEEING QUITE A LOT OF THEM. I just finished up a 15-minute sequence that was 'ten seconds of Space Cloud, ten seconds of random crewmember looking surprised or frightened, repeat forever'. McCoy wandered onto the bridge like twice to just stare at the viewscreen and left again without saying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i feel like it was aping a lot of the trappings of 2001 without any purpose, it was slow because 2001 was, it had spock leave the ship and fly into a monolith and have weird visions, v'ger being a human spacecraft gone rogue mirrors hal i guess and also the mission in 2010 to go check out whats up with the discovery (alas ST:TMP predates the publication of 2010 but thats not gonna stop me mentioning it)

it looks gorgeous and has a great score, i especially like the klingon battle horns and the theme which i assume is slightly different to the TNG theme or something but it sounds the same to me

in many ways star trek i and star trek v are the yin and yang of trek; one has gorgeous visuals and a great score and horrible fashions and the other has the warm camaraderie and three best friends eatin beans and singin a song

in conclusion star trek v is the second best star trek movie after star trek vi

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

horrible fashions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Lo-d8AWL0&t=36s

wtf open shirt over a medallion on a hairy chest is actually a timeless look, dumbass

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

docbeard posted:

Speaking of Star Trek, I am now about 1 hour and 20 minutes into Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I've seen it before but not since I was a kid). It's got this reputation of being a slow-paced movie that isn't very good, but I think if you watch it with an open mind today, you'll find that it's a slow-paced movie that isn't very good.

It's a shame because there's a potentially great story in there (Kirk exploiting an emergency to take back the Enterprise and the actual captain being rightfully annoyed by this) but they don't really commit hard to it. And it just feels like no one involved actually wants to be there. The kid playing Decker is trying his best (and I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection between First Officer Will Decker who is sometimes at odds with the captain and who has an alien ex-girlfriend and First Officer Will Riker who etc. etc.)

Some of the space shots are really pretty though, which is good BECAUSE YOU'LL BE SEEING QUITE A LOT OF THEM. I just finished up a 15-minute sequence that was 'ten seconds of Space Cloud, ten seconds of random crewmember looking surprised or frightened, repeat forever'. McCoy wandered onto the bridge like twice to just stare at the viewscreen and left again without saying anything.

TMP is a mediocre TOS third season plot stretched out to two hours, I really despise it

You do get disco Dr. McCoy, though, that's a plus

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

oh yea!
that guy was great :3:

Andrew Robinson played Garrack, he was the villain in the first Dirty Harry film, he rules

DS9 is good because secondary characters get more development than some primary characters on TNG

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Andrew Robinson played Garrack, he was the villain in the first Dirty Harry film, he rules

scorpio in dirty harry was based on zodiac, so in a way, he played ted cruz

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

imo its a crime that there was never a garak + obrien focus episode called tinker tailor soldier spy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

i feel like it was aping a lot of the trappings of 2001 without any purpose, it was slow because 2001 was, it had spock leave the ship and fly into a monolith and have weird visions, v'ger being a human spacecraft gone rogue mirrors hal i guess and also the mission in 2010 to go check out whats up with the discovery (alas ST:TMP predates the publication of 2010 but thats not gonna stop me mentioning it)

it looks gorgeous and has a great score, i especially like the klingon battle horns and the theme which i assume is slightly different to the TNG theme or something but it sounds the same to me

in many ways star trek i and star trek v are the yin and yang of trek; one has gorgeous visuals and a great score and horrible fashions and the other has the warm camaraderie and three best friends eatin beans and singin a song

in conclusion star trek v is the second best star trek movie after star trek vi

Yeah, the 2001 connection certainly occurred to me. And it absolutely can't be emphasized enough how beautiful the film looks. They spent a lot of money on the visual effects and it really shows.

I have a vague recollection of it having been adapted from the pilot for the ill-fated 'Star Trek Phase 2' revival series, so there's probably a good reason it feels like an exceptionally padded TV episode.

I'm planning on marathoning through at least the first 6 Trek films (we'll see how well my resolve collides with Generations) and V is definitely the one I'm most curious about since I haven't seen it in forever (and it's the other one that has the particularly terrible reputation).

And yeah, count me in among the DS9 Best Trek folks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The time between the end of the original Star Trek and The Motion Picture, and the release of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and today is now the same

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

The time between the end of the original Star Trek and The Motion Picture, and the release of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and today is now the same

As indeed is the time between the beginning of The Motion Picture and the end of The Motion Picture

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
the best season of star trek is wrath of khan, search for spock, voyage home :colbert:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Nebakenezzer posted:

half life 3 is literally never going to happen im afraid

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i just got a sudden powerful urge to play through silent hill 2 again, is there a working pc version yet

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I am enjoying my playthrough of Half Life 2 and hope to be finished on time to play Half Life 3 upon release. Will be touch and go however.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bilirubin posted:

I am enjoying my playthrough of Half Life 2 and hope to be finished on time to play Half Life 3 upon release. Will be touch and go however.

How can you play a game that engaging and only log 30 seconds a week?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Al! posted:

i just got a sudden powerful urge to play through silent hill 2 again, is there a working pc version yet

if you count emulators, there is

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

How can you play a game that engaging and only log 30 seconds a week?

I'm reading a good book right now.

Also stealth levels :suicide:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bilirubin posted:

I'm reading a good book right now.

Also stealth levels :suicide:

Oh you mean the antlions on the beach

I was really confused for a sec

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Nebakenezzer posted:

DS9 is good because secondary characters get more development than some primary characters on TNG

absolutely!
that's exactly why i liked it; you actually had the opportunity to be interested in, occassionally surprised by, and invested in the characters

it was a pleasant surprise

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

absolutely!
that's exactly why i liked it; you actually had the opportunity to be interested in, occassionally surprised by, and invested in the characters

lol but instead of that youre trying to kill america so we dont live to see a future!!!! :argh:

:smith:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol but instead of that youre trying to kill america so we dont live to see a future!!!! :argh:

We're living in the Star Trek timeline we just didn't have the good fortune to be born two hundred years from now.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

docbeard posted:

We're living in the Star Trek timeline we just didn't have the good fortune to be born two hundred years from now.

on earth right now i was a prince . . .

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Heh, I just reminded myself of that two-part DS9 episode (which I last saw last year, before the election) where Sisko, Bashir, and Dax end up in the 21st century (I think the episode was set in 2024 or thereabouts) and get caught up in a riot in what's basically a Poor People Concentration Camp. And the last line as they're going back to their Luxury Automated Gay Space Communism Future is Bashir asking just how Earth could have ever let things get so bad.

:smugdon:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

absolutely!

Gul Dukat best tv villian ever IMO. All the Cardassians were really complex characters really (Garack owns), made their assholery so understandable.

Plus they cast Iggy

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

if this shite passes nite crew linds is dead;
my slow transformation from sith lord to lieutenant of satan will be complete

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Gul Dukat best tv villian ever IMO. All the Cardassians were really complex characters really (Garack owns), made their assholery so understandable.

Plus they cast Iggy

its been a while since ive seen ds9 but iirc isn't the idea that the cardassians grew up in the equivalent of weimar germany

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

if this shite passes nite crew linds is dead;
my slow transformation from sith lord to lieutenant of satan will be complete

you were never nite crew you d c lackey :cmon:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

its been a while since ive seen ds9 but iirc isn't the idea that the cardassians grew up in the equivalent of weimar germany

I hadn't made that connection before but yeah, that's pretty much it.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you were never nite crew you d c lackey :cmon:

i see what you did there

and

perhaps you're right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief
dp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 22:28 on Sep 21, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i see what you did there

and

perhaps you're right

https://i.imgur.com/iPKfD4i.gifv

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

lol u feelin kinky 2nite sug

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

lol u feelin kinky 2nite sug

no, only nite crew gets kinky

i ain't cool enough for kinks; all i got is closet space

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

no, only nite crew gets kinky

i ain't cool enough for kinks; all i got is closet space

u kno u could leave dc and stop a little short of sc :wink:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

u kno u could leave dc and stop a little short of sc :wink:

the part of me that died knows that, but the real me?

will neva' unda'stand

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is the funniest story i've ever heard of the navy trying to crack down on sodomy and I nearly died laughing

https://soundcloud.com/the-dollop/56-newport-sex-scandal-1

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Not listening to this at work, but what is their position on rum and/or the lash?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Star Citizen subforum in Games rebranded to a general crowdfunding pisstake forum, if any of you want your late stage capitalism fix: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=212

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

back when they first started issuing star citizen refunds, i was playing this marvel-themed arpg with goons

so i got my $20 or whatever refund and its from that shady german holding company CIG launders their money through, and since people were asking about that sorta thing in the star citizen thread, i make a brief post about it

a few hours later i log in to the arpg im playing and the message of the day is "everyone please congratulate punchy on escaping a cult"

• Locked thread