Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm level 43 in terms of time played and it's wearing a bit thin on me only because half of the maps range from bad (King's Row) to cancer (Hanamura) and it feels like some rotate much more than others. Maybe it's the lack of competitive mode too but it feels stagnant. Also the dumb bullshit heroes and the awful tickrate to help people on dialup.

All I wanna do right now is buy a 1080 though but they go out of stock in two seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
This thread is lovely. How far out of politics can we go? I think I have something like 600 shitposts in Bernie threads, and enjoy Something Awful more than ever. I was thinking about starting a thread in You Look Like poo poo about gymnastics and training connective tissue, does that mean I have to know what I'm talking about? How much work should I put into an OP?

Factorio is great. I bought the Starcrafts instead of Overwatch with my limited game budget, and because someone mentioned the Steam sale on controllers ( I want to say NumberLast?) I blew 85 bux on the Steam link and a Controller. Soon I can Factorio from my bed instead of sleeping!

I'm playing Khan Academy like it's a part time job though.

I can math! You can learn anything! Yay!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's just hard to do open world right, mgs v gained absolutely nothing from it and is in the same 'aggressively mediocre' bucket

How does Khan compare top coursera, I tried that for a bit but it didn't grab me.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Solvent posted:

This thread is lovely. How far out of politics can we go? I think I have something like 600 shitposts in Bernie threads, and enjoy Something Awful more than ever. I was thinking about starting a thread in You Look Like poo poo about gymnastics and training connective tissue, does that mean I have to know what I'm talking about? How much work should I put into an OP?

Factorio is great. I bought the Starcrafts instead of Overwatch with my limited game budget, and because someone mentioned the Steam sale on controllers ( I want to say NumberLast?) I blew 85 bux on the Steam link and a Controller. Soon I can Factorio from my bed instead of sleeping!

I'm playing Khan Academy like it's a part time job though.

I can math! You can learn anything! Yay!

It wasn't me because I would never say anything to facilitate the sale or use of Steam controllers.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I love Lynda. It's pricey but the quality of the tutorials is totally worth it imo.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well, and here's the million dollar question, what were you using it to study? I find intro course trend to have a ton of polish, but that standard drops fast.

If Lynda is different then that's interesting.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 07:40 on Jun 9, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

It wasn't me because I would never say anything to facilitate the sale or use of Steam controllers.

Wait what, are they bad?

rudatron posted:

How does Khan compare top coursera, I tried that for a bit but it didn't grab me.

Oh, well I'm not terribly familiar with Top Coursera, but from what I see on google, they're similar in the way that you can find a thing and learn about it. I haven't tried a lot of the things in Khan, but I recently watched his hour long series about WW2, and it was just something interesting to see. Apparently they are developing more courses in history with a quiz at the end, to see how well you paid attention. So, it's simple?
Thanks for mentioning it, I looked at some of the courses offered and they're really interesting! Learning how to learn looks really useful, and I'm trying to transfer to UCSD, where the course comes from, so that's definitely near the top of my list now.

Where I'm seeing Khan Academy shine is with math. I never went to high school, and now I'm in college, so all the reading and keeping myself informed over the years never taught me algebra. Now I have to take chemistry, and I don't like feeling stupid, so instead of sitting around in what is to me an incredibly boring 4 unit class, I can do the self paced math, and learn from videos. I don't feel chided by a machine telling me I'm wrong about a problem my friend's 12 year old son can do in his sleep, so that helps, and it seems really good at speeding me through things I understand, and presenting new avenues into things I don't. The badges and points looked dumb at first, but after you get a couple hundred thousand of them, they are a nice extrinsic reward. You can also chart your progress, and there's lots of graphs to show you what you've been doing, and how you're doing with it.

I'm hoping to progress through algebra by the middle of next month, so I can take a placement test, and be able to take that chemistry class in the fall.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

rudatron posted:

Well, and here's the million dollar question, what were you using it to study? I find intro course trend to have a ton of polish, but that standard drops fast.

If Lynda is different then that's interesting.

I've been using it to learn programming and app development.

Never done coding before so I've been starting from scratch. The quality of the courses vary more based on who's presenting than what the course is covering.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

I've been using it to learn programming and app development.

Never done coding before so I've been starting from scratch. The quality of the courses vary more based on who's presenting than what the course is covering.

I'd honestly thought Lynda was a person. It seems to cost money. I'm guessing it's worth it?
Code academy is free! Have you tried it?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

rudatron posted:

It's just hard to do open world right, mgs v gained absolutely nothing from it and is in the same 'aggressively mediocre' bucket

witcher 3 is probably my favorite game since ??? and I feel it gains more from being open world than it loses then again I am a broke brain who still plays skyrim 5 years after release so I don't think I represent the interests of your average person.

also thanks thread for telling me about khan academy because I feel in the 3 years since highschool that I've lost basically all my academic knowledge.

Man Whore has issued a correction as of 07:59 on Jun 9, 2016

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Solvent posted:

I'd honestly thought Lynda was a person. It seems to cost money. I'm guessing it's worth it?
Code academy is free! Have you tried it?

I haven't tried Code Academy but I like Lynda and have access to it for free. :shrug:

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Solvent posted:

Wait what, are they bad?

In my opinion, yeah.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

I haven't tried Code Academy but I like Lynda and have access to it for free. :shrug:

Lucky!

Man Whore posted:

witcher 3 is probably my favorite game since ??? and I feel it gains more from being open world than it loses then again I am a broke brain who still plays skyrim 5 years after release so I don't think I represent the interests of your average person.

also thanks thread for telling me about khan academy because I feel in the 3 years since highschool that I've lost basically all my academic knowledge.

Dude, me too! On everything but witcher. I couldn't get into it for some reason, dunno why.

But seriously though, I started with arithmetic for that same reason, I was so behind when I started, but the way that KA works, they blend the skills, so now I've "mastered" almost 90% of arithmetic and at the same time, gotten %60 through pre-algebra and about %10 through algebra.

I have a really good friend with a disability that severely restricts her movement, and she's been depressed since she had to move back in with her parents in rural Montana. She was feeling really trapped, and since I told her about KA, she's blazing through it, and it opened a whole world of opportunities for her! gently caress yeah internet!

NumberLast posted:

In my opinion, yeah.

Huh. Guess I'll find out when it gets here if I agree with you. The link seemed cool since I can stream movies from my PC with it, and almost all of my games are on Steam. The controller is something that it's designed to work with, so I figured "what the hell".

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I can't deal with KA. Every time I loaded up KA while in school it would be for a single, specific point that I was missing. But its strength - methodical, comprehensive walkthroughs of concepts and problems - made it frustrating for me to watch.

NumberLast has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Jun 9, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
i have a $500 pc i built in 2012 and run overwatch on good graphic settings fine, if your computer can't run overwatch you probably need a new one lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

A Farewell to Avs

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Overwatch is the most generic looking pos, looking as inoffensive as a toy in a happy meal box. No wonder Hillary supporter sheeple like that poo poo.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
videogames for adult men:
CMANO
chess
CS:S
and maybe now HOI4

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
if theres interest we should totes play a big multiplayer game of HOI4 here in ycs

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sanders peeps can turn their countries communist
trumps have the fascism
and uh
hillary people can get stuffed or maybe be the democratic countries

fascist america is pretty fun to play (dibs)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
If the game is historically accurate then playing US anything is basically cheating.

Also what's c your opinion of stellaris, I've been having fun with that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
its good but its deffo needs some more stuff

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Man Whore posted:

I hope overwatch burns out fast because if I got to go through more than two more weeks of this poo poo I will toxx myself from life. Like I'm sure its fun but as someone allergic to blizzard, I am just drowning in overwatch and its army of memes.

also I am backing up the fallout 4 sass. The backbone is fine but just something about the overall whole is just aggressively mediocre and it doesn't make sense to me because skyrim is still my "nothing else to play" game.

It's weird, Skyrim is the TES game I have played the least, by far - though I still have a good 200 hours into it - but I couldn't put down FO4 for two months and I'm playing it again and have nearly 400 hours in it on steam. :shrug: I feel like there's a lot of interesting nook and cranny stuff in FO4 that just wasn't there in Skyrim - the overall game was probably better and the game world was certainly more elaborately designed but I felt like I ran out of places to go in Skyrim early on and way too many of the dungeons were just "RADIANT QUEST DESTINATION #363" with nothing interesting in them, not even lore notes or interesting secret rooms.

I have to give Bethesda a lot of credit because with FO4 you could tell they took a long, hard look at NV and why hardcore fans liked NV so much more than FO4. Not all of the ideas translated over but the focus on more interesting locations and less on elaborate plot points and "world lore" have kept me playing. I'm always finding new poo poo I just didn't know was there, I figured I would have exhausted it by now but I can't imagine I've explored more than 60% of the game world and I don't play slowly.

I'm pretty burnt on Blizzard stuff and the idea of deliberately starting a competitive FPS with BlizzBalance makes me want to augur out my eyeballs with an icepick. I'll wait until it's cheap, if I pick it up at all.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Jun 9, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Also the giant underground dwarven city with almost no quests was a huge wasted opportunity and all the unfinished guilds piss me off, finish your poo poo Bethesda :mad:

hoping those skyrim remastered rumors are true and that they also take the time to pick up all those unfinished questlines and flesh out those boring dungeons

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I actually totally forgot about that place, it was pretty

You just know some designer at bethesda is so loving sad their gorgeous environment get totally undermined by how absolutely boring the game is

you wander around and it's just same old same old

I blame the radiant system

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
video games are bad and for children

except candy crush I love candy crush

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

under the principles of juche, video games are a bourgeois distraction from our glorious potential.

big fan of hearthstone here

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

NumberLast posted:

:catbert:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
petition to rename forum to YCPOS

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

NumberLast posted:

How'd ya snag that?

also: https://itpro.tv/ <- good site for IT training videos.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Solvent posted:

Huh. Guess I'll find out when it gets here if I agree with you. The link seemed cool since I can stream movies from my PC with it, and almost all of my games are on Steam. The controller is something that it's designed to work with, so I figured "what the hell".

I love my steam controller

I just never use it as it takes some time to learn it and I mostly play MKB games at my PC.
:effort:

It's still great though

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I have been trying to not be on SA as much at work because we are swamped busy with writing procedures and some lab instrument poo poo.

But, here I am.

I was doing so well.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I post the most when I'm super busy but still don't have to start doing work just this very second to finish in time

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

rudatron posted:

I actually totally forgot about that place, it was pretty

You just know some designer at bethesda is so loving sad their gorgeous environment get totally undermined by how absolutely boring the game is

you wander around and it's just same old same old

I blame the radiant system

Radiant questing was so stupid. It was neat the first dozen times but eventually you realize the game is just a bunch of blank spaces to shove radiant quests into and it just takes all the fun out of exploration.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

I'm currently reading Nixonland, and it is probably the best journalistic book I've ever had the chance of reading. I knew so little about the racial tensions in 1960's USA, it's really eye-opening. I couldn't believe the "casual" murders by national guard and police in Newark and elsewhere. Also Black Panthers walking around with law books (as legal backup) was a nice touch.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

mike12345 posted:

I'm currently reading Nixonland, and it is probably the best journalistic book I've ever had the chance of reading. I knew so little about the racial tensions in 1960's USA, it's really eye-opening. I couldn't believe the "casual" murders by national guard and police in Newark and elsewhere. Also Black Panthers walking around with law books (as legal backup) was a nice touch.

panthers owned, rip

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

ThndrShk2k posted:

How'd ya snag that?

also: https://itpro.tv/ <- good site for IT training videos.

Through the company I work for.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Pragmatica posted:

I have been trying to not be on SA as much at work because we are swamped busy with writing procedures and some lab instrument poo poo.

But, here I am.

I was doing so well.

I'm on vacation at my parents' right now so yesterday I walked around and ate chowder and fudge, and today I'm gonna try to emulate Persona 4. Turns out the PS2 has some kind of 'extensive catalog' I never knew about. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Mirthless posted:

Radiant questing was so stupid. It was neat the first dozen times but eventually you realize the game is just a bunch of blank spaces to shove radiant quests into and it just takes all the fun out of exploration.

Yeah I felt this way after doing the main quest and the big side quests (companions, dark brotherhood, thieves), but the daedric artifact quests are fun, and by the time I realized how shallow the radiant quests were Id already enjoyed like 60-70hrs of the game, which Im perfectly fine with compared to most games.

• Locked thread