Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Al! posted:

mine is an ono sendai

i googled that. i read neuromancer a long rear end time ago and remember nothing about it. thanks for listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i bet you think you're better because you have a constructive hobby instead of playing video games

well, you are

grats

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i mean im still here

ive also been trying to write some r code to create optimized lineups for betting on baseball on draftkings

so far i have lost like 50 bucks. i just have it taking whatever quantile from a sorted list of past daily fantasy scores tho the real analysis of actually parsing through not only past contest results but also baseball-reference stats to outperform random chance plus the house's cut is still ahead of me. its kinda fun. i guess

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jun 10, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my real hobby is cooking but man I'm not going to add to the garbage fire of people taking pictures of food except with people I really want to annoy, like yospos

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive been learning how to cook i wanna start making a healthy omelette in the morning or some poo poo instead of eating cereal which is a vegetarian plot from the 19th century but im lazy

hopefully this weekend ill buy like ten ingredients and try this out http://www.tastyappetite.net/2012/12/how-to-make-masala-omelette-spicy.html

ive gotten acceptably mediocre at baking chicken wings, got my louisiana hot sauce and my yucateco (thats the real star) and advice from southerners who know how to cook, still lots of room to improve. but i also need to expand into other meals

and stop drinking so much

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

rudatron posted:

i bet you think you're better because you have a constructive hobby instead of playing video games

well, you are

grats

Hah, my hobby is reading and listening to people talking about videogames. Beat that for uselessness.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i read LPs about mapgames and wargames a lot, its just that like five years ago i realized i would just buy a game and stop caring about it within like 3 weeks

paradox games were the last ones i really enjoyed and logged time in, maybe ill get stellaris in like five years or something

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I drank so much my pancreas exploded so now I have to drown my sorrows in delicious homemade gravy

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Neeerrrrddsss

NEERRRRDDDSSSSS

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rip pancre-al

a pro ycs strat is to engulf yourself in sports-related bitterness until there's no emotional space left for caring about politics imo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my dad gave me all the San Francisco teams so naturally I decided not to follow pro sports that much

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

god how smug they all got when the Giants won the World Series was worse than any Yankees fan

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

rip pancre-al

a pro ycs strat is to engulf yourself in sports-related bitterness until there's no emotional space left for caring about politics imo

lol if you care about sports

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

dc and uva are quite bitterness-inducing to really care about the sports teams of

especially when you get that umd is life undeserving of life

uva won college baseball that's kinda like winning a aa minor league championship so my enjoyment is somewhat measured. even i don't care about the loving lacrosse championships we have lol

idk i made a lot of e-friends on sas 10 years ago and i just kinda talk with them on twitter nowadays i dont even go in sas now

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

My post history is filled with my secret shame, which is that I love professional league of legends.

I watched a lot of mma because I wrestled in school but I've gotten bored by it as I've gotten older.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

My post history is filled with my secret shame, which is that I love professional league of legends.

I watched a lot of mma because I wrestled in school but I've gotten bored by it as I've gotten older.

You should watch dominick cruz's fights, he's the best wrestler.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NumberLast posted:

Someone who likes LP has no right to judge watching people do something far better than you or I could ever do it.

And I like both.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

NumberLast posted:

i didnt care about sports until the nats showed up and then i got it

its a way of developing and exhibiting raw human talent that organically generates storylines which are unmatched in what i hope it would be particularly infuriating to refer to as 'scripted media' i.e. every form of entertainment that's not sports

e-sports are just the korean form of pro wrestling tho im not defending either of those things. i have e-friends who like 'em both but nah

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Mrit posted:

Someone who likes LP has no right to judge watching people do something far better than you or I could ever do it.

And I like both.

lol if you watch LP's of people being good at games

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Baseball is super boring, but the tickets are cheap(lol Mariners) and the stadium has decent garlic fries so I go once a year.

Edit: I usually leave when the team falls apart and we are behind by 5+ points, so usually the 7th inning.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Matoi Ryuko posted:

You should watch dominick cruz's fights, he's the best wrestler.

I've seen all of his fights except the two most recent.

I watched basically every UFC from about 100 - 170 or so, but then I got married and got an exec job and that was basically that for my free time.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

NumberLast posted:

lol if you watch LP's of people being good at games

speed runs are usually p cool but last agdq was pretty bad

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Al! posted:

lovely Games Done Slow is my jam

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i missed the last agdq, what was the problem

I remember the tetris guy, from one of them, that was something

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if you like the pittsburgh penguins i hope your life falls apart

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

I've seen all of his fights except the two most recent.

I watched basically every UFC from about 100 - 170 or so, but then I got married and got an exec job and that was basically that for my free time.

His two most recent fights are really good, he's bantamweight champion again and just defended the belt against Faber. I'very been watching since Condit v diaz, and the first time I saw cruz fight was when he fought mitzugaki, and I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing, his style is so different from everyone else in the ufc.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Al! posted:

I thought it was really good, when is the next sgdq?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Matoi Ryuko posted:

His two most recent fights are really good, he's bantamweight champion again and just defended the belt against Faber. I'very been watching since Condit v diaz, and the first time I saw cruz fight was when he fought mitzugaki, and I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing, his style is so different from everyone else in the ufc.

cruz v mitsugaki was real cool. Cruz is awesome but made of glass. It'd be cool if he was healthy to hold the title for awhile again.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

cruz v mitsugaki was real cool. Cruz is awesome but made of glass. It'd be cool if he was healthy to hold the title for awhile again.

He's got a better chin than anyone in his division, lol.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

rudatron posted:

i missed the last agdq, what was the problem

I remember the tetris guy, from one of them, that was something

I saw a couple highights but every time i turned it on it was like hour 4 of a 6 hour jrpg speedrun

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He's got a better chin than anyone in his division, lol.

his chin is real good, but he's got injury problems. dude couldn't fight for like 2 1/2 years

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

his chin is real good, but he's got injury problems. dude couldn't fight for like 2 1/2 years

Yeah, he was out of comission for 3 years because he tore both acls in training, after he beat mighty mouse.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

usually i dont like video LPs i mostly like screenshot LPs

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

oystertoadfish posted:

usually i dont like video LPs i mostly like screenshot LPs

I used to put on sim city lps to help me sleep, lol.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

sometimes i fall asleep to history podcasts/lectures on tape

im most of the way through http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ i think there's a thread on here i can get recs from but if anybody has a history/academic-in-general podcast i should write a script to download the .mp3s next id do that

i ''''acquired''''' a shitload of the teaching company lectures years ago and there are more of those i could run through but ive listened to most of the ones i thought were interesting by now

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gonna get back to lifting weights tomorrow after a few weeks off rip in advance

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oystertoadfish posted:

sometimes i fall asleep to history podcasts/lectures on tape

im most of the way through http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ i think there's a thread on here i can get recs from but if anybody has a history/academic-in-general podcast i should write a script to download the .mp3s next id do that

i ''''acquired''''' a shitload of the teaching company lectures years ago and there are more of those i could run through but ive listened to most of the ones i thought were interesting by now

One thing that hasn't been archived very well are multimedia cd roms and it bums me out because while bad they are a certain kind of bad that holds quite a bit of nostalgia value for me

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i started this http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ a few weeks ago its gone ok ive only skipped one day

hopefully i can keep my poo poo together and keep showing up, i've fallen off this wagon before. im also doing an adult learn to play hockey thing

good luck real life pelple

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

oystertoadfish posted:

i started this http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ a few weeks ago its gone ok ive only skipped one day

hopefully i can keep my poo poo together and keep showing up, i've fallen off this wagon before. im also doing an adult learn to play hockey thing

good luck real life pelple

what a coincidence i literally started this program today, but i started at the bare minimum because it's been almost a decade since i last worked out in any serious way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

starting strength > stronglifts imo. i should probably ease back into things with that routine rather than the bodybuilding one i was using before, but whatever. fortune favors the bold and so does muscle strain

• Locked thread