Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

what a coincidence i literally started this program today, but i started at the bare minimum because it's been almost a decade since i last worked out in any serious way

ive previously tried to cut ahead and started having nagging problems in later weeks so this time i also started at the absolute minimum, exactly the weights he's listing

also i spend like 5-10 minutes before and after the workout kneading my quads and back muscles on a foam roller, im probably overdoing it but its so far prevented some unnerving knee problems that scared me when i started getting to heavier squat weights in past attempts at this poo poo and it also really reduces post-workout aches and pains

edit: idk it was like tightness in the muscle on the outside of the knee, felt like something was twanging back and forth over the bone as i went up and down, i talked to a trainer who seemed to know some poo poo and he told me to foam roll the quad muscle above that spot and it seems to work so far. its all a bit of an unknown to me tho

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'm no lifter, I'm a runner. I've been running 8.3 miles a day for almost 3 years straight. I do plan on doing a lot more lifting as soon as I get a car though.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

starting strength > stronglifts imo. i should probably ease back into things with that routine rather than the bodybuilding one i was using before, but whatever. fortune favors the bold and so does muscle strain
so this? http://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

phase 1 is very similar to stronglifts. not identical tho. fewer reps, and i've had gym people give me feedback along those lines too. people who mentioned the name rippetoe, which i've read before, and turns out starting strength is his poo poo. so that's meaningful

i know mostly i just need to keep moving weight and developing good habits but as i start to hit plateaus or w/e i guess ill keep this in mind ty

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gotta do what works for you. i do weights four times a week and half an hour of cardio five times a week or more. i got spoiled in nyc walking everywhere and now it's treadmill or outdoor trail time

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-GLO_PydqU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive been lifting 3x/wk, skating 2x/wk, it's been p sustainable, my weight hasn't changed in a month and while that's not my priority, i'm focused on increasing the lifting #s and gaining hockey ability/endurance and that's happening, it's becoming clear that i need to get my poo poo together on the dietary front

i have a really hard time not falling off the wagon wrt cardio unless i'm engaged in some kind of purpose ie a sport, hockey has helped in that regard

but gently caress it. buttfuck it. i just wanna look like 80s comedians with like towels under their sweatsuits

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Jun 10, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gotta find a soccerball league in town. been here eight months and haven't done some of the things you really should do to get settled in a new place

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh lord i know that feel, these hockey people are the only fuckers i know in this town outside of work and all the engineers i work with are staunch anti-work drama people apparently since not one of them has ever said anything interesting and neither have i. so theyre not my friends

i always liked soccer at a real low level as a motivation for cardio, im not any good tho so i dont want to play in an organized league. i guess ill run into it someday

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

I don't know how you guys put up with lifting. It bores me to tears. I used to do a lot of lifting until I quit smoking weed and since then it's been maddening to show up at the gym.

I picked up a road bike and started riding my bike to work a few weeks ago. It's 16 miles each way, but it's down the PCH and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Any of you guys learning programming to get a job doing it?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I'm lazy as hell, but I'm gonna get my exercise one I stop the sewer backing up in my basement and install a Vive room. Already put in some serious time on a friend's, sweated like a mad bastard and was sore for days and loved it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

I don't know how you guys put up with lifting. It bores me to tears. I used to do a lot of lifting until I quit smoking weed and since then it's been maddening to show up at the gym.

I picked up a road bike and started riding my bike to work a few weeks ago. It's 16 miles each way, but it's down the PCH and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Any of you guys learning programming to get a job doing it?

im the opposite, lifting keeps me engaged but when i was getting high i just wouldnt show up, and as for the biking i've owned a bike but ended up not using it and regretted the purchase

actually to be specific my bike lock wouldnt unlock outside of nationals park and the loving nationals stole my god drat bike but i still love them sports are a lesson in the evils of capitalism so obvious even newt gingrich couldnt avoid it but im still here

i know r 'cause i did my phd in it, and it turns out you can do a lot of poo poo, like scraping the history of rome podcast site even tho you have to let the links on the site redirect or else you get garbled mp3s, but when you try to share your rad script on twitter some "real programmer" will show up and be like 'why didnt you use python?' and it MAKES ME SO GOD drat ANGRY apparently

idk i always was just brute-forcing my way through getting actual poo poo done and real programmers were always whining about tiny little details and im like d00d i just ran a trillion monte carlo iterations and you want me to have run a trillion and one gently caress you

BUT GRAD SCHOOL DIDNT LEAVE ME A BITTER HUSK OF A MAN OH NO SIR EE

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Jun 10, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I ordered a 1080 today

Homework Explainer posted:

gotta find a soccerball league in town. been here eight months and haven't done some of the things you really should do to get settled in a new place

I'd like to do this in the summer if I can find a decent league but I'm gonna be real bad for sure

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

that's a really weird thing for someone to say. python's the only language I'm very good at, and that's because it's easy. some people have a weird attachment to specific programming languages and have an intense need to tell everyone else about it all the goddamn time.

i get the feeling that the guys yelling about crap online and nitpicking other people's work don't enjoy what they do on their own jobs and need to be "smarter" than someone else to keep up a self-image.

WINNINGHARD has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah As Is Probably Evident i always felt insecure around real programmers as basically a guy who googled how to do programming as a means to an end and cobbled poo poo together from there, but sometimes they're the ones being weird and i should just move on :)

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah As Is Probably Evident i always felt insecure around real programmers as basically a guy who googled how to do programming as a means to an end and cobbled poo poo together from there, but sometimes they're the ones being weird and i should just move on :)

"real programmers" mostly muddle their way through poo poo helen keller

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
doing starting strength + swimming for exercise for awhile now. it's nice but I'm starting to stall with my weights so I think I need to upgrade to advanced :eng101:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

oystertoadfish posted:

A lot of people who do Python do the same thing, the amount of people using it has gotten so huge that you can just Google whatever specific thing you want to do and someone probably put it on Github somewhere.

ALSO if you knee makes kind of a squishy noise or feeling when going up or down then you probably have patella tendonitis, which made me take a long break from lifting. Squatting is kind of scary really with a squishy sore knee because you feel like one time it will just stop working and you wont be able to stand up.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
hey heard this is where u talk about random poo poo

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
i don't exercise nearly enough... i ride my bike and walk everywhere but thats about it

and i'm pretty underweight

so

thats fun

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

"real programmers" mostly muddle their way through poo poo helen keller

yeah i was just psyching myself out. it's all good. all im really doing is offering drunken specifications on the general truism that grad school can be traumatic, if anybody's in that position believe me i understand

Goetta posted:

ALSO if you knee makes kind of a squishy noise or feeling when going up or down then you probably have patella tendonitis, which made me take a long break from lifting. Squatting is kind of scary really with a squishy sore knee because you feel like one time it will just stop working and you wont be able to stand up.

my knee problem was almost the opposite of squishy, it was tight; i felt like a tendon or muscle or something on the outside of my right knee was *twang*ing over a bone and back again on every rep. it was eerie and i always stopped after it happened once or twice. i think my gym's trainer might've given me the right advice bc when i started using the foam roller on the knotty spot on the quadriceps above the place where i felt the problem i could feel things loosening up and i haven't had the problem since, although i'm not up to the weights i've been at when experiencing the problem before. we'll see how it goes. but the more i know the better so thanks for sharing your knee fee-fees

fee-fees was probably the stupid ycs phrase that pissed me off the most and it seems to have died off but i always thought that should've gotten wordfiltered. at this moment however it rhymes

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Jun 10, 2016

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
eat more and do weights

i can't do it as effectively as I should because I hate eating too much

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I used Stata in grad school

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Goetta posted:

I used Stata in grad school

i had a stats class where the teacher's whole curriculum was like 'here's how you do it in sas, and here's how you do it way way way way easier in R' for every single task he had us do, and i guess i bought the r propaganda. but i really do like the language. love my do.calls and applys

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I am reading McKay Coppins' Wilderness book and it's very well written. Worth reading if you haven't already.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was just psyching myself out. it's all good. all im really doing is offering drunken specifications on the general truism that grad school can be traumatic, if anybody's in that position believe me i understand

my knee problem was almost the opposite of squishy, it was tight; i felt like a tendon or muscle or something on the outside of my right knee was *twang*ing over a bone and back again on every rep. it was eerie and i always stopped after it happened once or twice. i think my gym's trainer might've given me the right advice bc when i started using the foam roller on the knotty spot on the quadriceps above the place where i felt the problem i could feel things loosening up and i haven't had the problem since, although i'm not up to the weights i've been at when experiencing the problem before. we'll see how it goes. but the more i know the better so thanks for sharing your knee fee-fees

fee-fees was probably the stupid ycs phrase that pissed me off the most and it seems to have died off but i always thought that should've gotten wordfiltered. at this moment however it rhymes

grad school's balls!!!! don't do it!!!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

my brother's smarter than me and he dropped out but i made it through. in our experience it's like 95% about whether your advisor is cool and will work with you, or is uncool and will exploit and abuse you. that's just a sample size of n=2 tho

my task was to get 3 peer-reviewed articles published, in real journals not the lovely chinese ones that still email me, and i did it but oh my GOD i hate the peer-review process. gently caress my peers

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I've also been playing Mario Maker on Expert and right now I'm not sure I'll ever need another videogame. Some of the levels are religious experiences.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

part of me knows the wii u is an excellent console with a lot of great games but the other part knows i have a huge backlog on ps3/4/pc/3ds and it would be better to wait for the new console

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i subscribed to pc gamer in the 90s and probably 99% of my gaming purchases were in the last millennium so i had an n64 and ps2 and all but i really missed the whole modern console experience. all this modern console poo poo is beyond my understanding. and thats ok

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

WINNINGHARD posted:

This is a lie. Grad school is rainbows and cupcakes.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

zen death robot posted:

The Wiiu is great but I definitely don't use mine enough

:same:

I owned Wonderful 101 for a year and a half without even touching it. It's a good game.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oystertoadfish posted:

i subscribed to pc gamer in the 90s and probably 99% of my gaming purchases were in the last millennium so i had an n64 and ps2 and all but i really missed the whole modern console experience. all this modern console poo poo is beyond my understanding. and thats ok

Same. I own a charity Xbox 360 and own a few games, but I really don't like console gaming. When I game, I like my mouse and keyboard.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
pc is my jam but whatever floats your boat

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mrit posted:

Same. I own a charity Xbox 360 and own a few games, but I really don't like console gaming. When I game, I like my mouse and keyboard.

like i said before the games ive really enjoyed in the last 5 years have all been paradox (plus the operational art of war iii incidentally) and i may be wrong but i think that kinda poo poo is basically still pc territory

i need to replace my lovely rear end hp laptop THANKS CARLY where i have to literally slap the screen in a specific place to get it to not be discolored and im wondering if i should consider gaming issues but i never loving play games tbh so i probably wont. but im lazy and will keep slapping this lovely laptop for another year probs. anyway i bought the drat electric piano so i shouldnt be throwing money at electronics in the near future tbqh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Afraid of Audio posted:

pc is my jam but whatever floats your boat

Uh oh looks like da mothafuckin PC POLICE are here already

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm happy with my WiiU. I bought it last year give or take and between it and a gaming PC I don't feel like I'm missing much gamewise. I'm excited about 3D stuff in a year or two though, but as much of my gaming as possible is couch co-op and that seems unlikely to be a thing in a 3D future.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

zen death robot posted:

The Wiiu is great but I definitely don't use mine enough

this, but ps4

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
for the longest time I was convinced my ps4 controller was defective because it didn't hold a charge, until I realized that it was just really really picky with microusb cables

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

NumberLast posted:

This is a lie. Grad school is rainbows and cupcakes.

everything i say is true!! i am a genius and a saint!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Peztopiary posted:

I'm happy with my WiiU. I bought it last year give or take and between it and a gaming PC I don't feel like I'm missing much gamewise. I'm excited about 3D stuff in a year or two though, but as much of my gaming as possible is couch co-op and that seems unlikely to be a thing in a 3D future.

pc+wii u is the almighty duo of gaming, friend

• Locked thread