Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Homework Explainer posted:

pc+wii u is the almighty duo of gaming, friend

:hfive: yeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

WINNINGHARD posted:

I don't know how you guys put up with lifting. It bores me to tears. I used to do a lot of lifting until I quit smoking weed and since then it's been maddening to show up at the gym.

I picked up a road bike and started riding my bike to work a few weeks ago. It's 16 miles each way, but it's down the PCH and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Any of you guys learning programming to get a job doing it?

actually yeah, this summer i'm learning python to complement r since so many employers want both

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i used python or more specifically arcpy for a task at an old job once, python seemed fine, im sure every language is fine, i dont hate python

it just seems like whenever i google and ultimately end up on stackexchange trying to find an r package to do some poo poo i end up finding it

but if i were a programmer as opposed to an engineer i get that the choice of language could be much more important and thats cool. lord knows most engineers just do poo poo in vba+excel and i get that that's not optimal

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

although no ps4 means no bloodborne, until dawn or uncharted, which i couldn't abide. and a bunch of other stuff down the pipe that seems insanely good

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

actually yeah, this summer i'm learning python to complement r since so many employers want both

the hardest thing with learning a language is picking a project and having the energy to work through it after work. ive been trying to pick up C in my downtime {job is python, scala, and a bit of JS} but im usually too tired to do anything but watch jackass clips. it doesn't help that my experience is limited to building web apps and spark stuff and i don't know what project to build in C.what do you think you'll do for a project?

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

WINNINGHARD posted:

the hardest thing with learning a language is picking a project and having the energy to work through it after work. ive been trying to pick up C in my downtime {job is python, scala, and a bit of JS} but im usually too tired to do anything but watch jackass clips. it doesn't help that my experience is limited to building web apps and spark stuff and i don't know what project to build in C.what do you think you'll do for a project?

I'm trying to pick up Python and I'm finding that using a Raspberry Pi as a multimedia center is a pretty decent project for that.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Bloodborne looks cool, but DS 1-3 exist. I only buy a couple of new releases a year and get everything else on Steam. Steam owns.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was just psyching myself out. it's all good. all im really doing is offering drunken specifications on the general truism that grad school can be traumatic, if anybody's in that position believe me i understand

i'm doing grad school right now and it's been surprisingly non-traumatic aside from not learning some things (like the aforementioned python). unfortunately for me, it's an ms that's meant to make me competitive with people who have taken advanced programming courses that i'm not ready for

Goetta posted:

I used Stata in grad school

luckily the one professor who insists on stata has a teaching assistant who only uses r so you can get both sides of the story as it were

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

WINNINGHARD posted:

luckily for me i'm really interested in data analytics and stuff, so i want to try and tackle the yelp challenge with it. there's a cash money prize and even if i know i won't win it's still a pretty good motivator

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Peztopiary posted:

Bloodborne looks cool, but DS 1-3 exist. I only buy a couple of new releases a year and get everything else on Steam. Steam owns.

i cannot emphasize enough how much better bloodborne is, really. i'm a big time souls fan and bb is my favorite by far

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Hopefully I can emulate it a decade or two from now on gaming PC then. Because the world where my husband lets me buy a non-Nintendo console isn't this one.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Peztopiary posted:

I am reading McKay Coppins' Wilderness book and it's very well written. Worth reading if you haven't already.

:agreed: It's a little Ryan and Jindal heavy, but its good fun and has some juicy little tidbits here and there

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

knee fee-feess

This is the original thing that I was on about, with the idea of making a thread in You Look Like poo poo.

I subscribed to the Tim Ferriss podcast after listening to his interview on a Freakonomics podcast (would highly recommend both, along with Raidolab). The Ferriss podcast centers on efficiently maximizing the use of your time for self improvement, along with general bullshit like him and other intelligent guys he knows getting drunk, and talking about interesting things. He wrote a bunch of books called the "4 hour (body, workweek, ect...)".

One of the older ones was an interview with coach Christopher Sommer, and it goes in depth into problems of mobility and the relation to connective tissue. I remember back when I was taking Oom Yung Doe, the original exercises were a bunch of Kata that used no weight and felt silly, but now looking back I see that thy were focused on training connective tissue. Coach Sommer explains how this works in a way that makes me really excited about doing what one of Tim's friend called "loving stupid Hanoi Jane exercises". Connective tissue is not fed by blood the same way that all other tissue in the body is, hence its whiteness, so it takes a lot longer to build up. 200 days vs. 90 for muscle is what I remember.

The most basic exercise in the podcast mentioned was to sit in a simple L shape, and to use your quadriceps to lift your heels of the ground (the Hanoi Jane bullshit). I did it for a while and my knees felt way better.

Here's a couple links:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/podcast/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/the-benefits-of-hamstring-flexibility-and-pike-compression/

Solvent has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Jun 10, 2016

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
You guys want a programming language? :shepface:
https://solidity.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

To write smart contracts there are a few different languages: Solidity, which is like JavaScript and has .sol as a file extension, Serpent, Python-like with extension .se, and a 3rd, LLL, based on Lisp.

Javascript-like thing for smart contracts.
Unlike python and not knowing what to do, there are barely resources on this (but enough for me to get by somehow??? Maybe because people make the smart contracts open source so I can just cannibalize similar functions)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
i play dreamcast

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
ya i just have a PC for gaming stuff

so console-excusive games make me sad

*cough* bloodborne *cough*

at least the new dark souls is available for pc; im prolly gonna get that

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ace of Baes posted:

i play dreamcast

i miss my dreamcast, didn't give it the respect it deserved when i had one

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Classic Comrade posted:

ya i just have a PC for gaming stuff

so console-excusive games make me sad

*cough* bloodborne *cough*

at least the new dark souls is available for pc; im prolly gonna get that

It's worth it, most definitely.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

It's worth it, most definitely.

ya the reason i'm not as interested in the older dark souls games is that i really like the mechanics of bloodborne better so im glad the new dark souls kept all those; makes it a lot more appealing, to me

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

i miss my dreamcast, didn't give it the respect it deserved when i had one

I fear my DC has a laser issue (common issue) because Sonic Adventure 2: The Last Good Sonic Game restarts randomly during boss-rush mode.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Classic Comrade posted:

ya the reason i'm not as interested in the older dark souls games is that i really like the mechanics of bloodborne better so im glad the new dark souls kept all those; makes it a lot more appealing, to me

ehhhhhh

It's a pretty different animal to Bloodborne really. Shields being a thing makes an enormous difference just by itself.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

ehhhhhh

It's a pretty different animal to Bloodborne really. Shields being a thing makes an enormous difference just by itself.

oh yeah i know i've seen some gameplay vids (and also some of demon souls and dark souls 1 and 2). BB is still way more offense-focused and all, i just think the speed of the game, item storage, etc of 3 is similar enough to BB to make playing it a lil more comfortable than demon souls/1/2 for me.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

ThndrShk2k posted:

I fear my DC has a laser issue (common issue) because Sonic Adventure 2: The Last Good Sonic Game restarts randomly during boss-rush mode.

ya my dreamcast got that laser issue thing. trying to think what i even had for the dream cast... just sonic adventure 1 and toy commander i think. oh yeah and crazy taxi. and some stupid fishing game. lol fun times

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I played a lot of grandia 2 and powestone. And another rpg but I can't remember the title.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i got shenmue and barely played it, what a foolish child i was. so close to greatness

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My crusty old launch PS2 was starting to finally kick the bucket so I bought a crusty old backwards compatible launch PS3 that I've mostly used as a bluray player

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

i got shenmue and barely played it, what a foolish child i was. so close to greatness

Unrelated to videogames, your probies are the best-written thing on this forum right now.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Lord of Pie posted:

My crusty old launch PS2 was starting to finally kick the bucket so I bought a crusty old backwards compatible launch PS3 that I've mostly used as a bluray player

did your PS2 overheat super easily cause goddamn lol mine certainly did

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
I started playing 999 yesterday.

I'm about 90 minutes in. It's.....EHhhhhhhh so far. Could be good. Only playing it because it was highly recommended though.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Classic Comrade posted:

Nah, the moving parts on the laser were starting to crap out

Now the fuckin PS3 could easily double as a space heater because the simple act of watching a movie on it heats the room up a couple degrees when the fans kick on

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Classic Comrade posted:

I feel like I'm the only playstation user who's never had a console with overheating issues. Everyone else seems to always have at least one 'this got a bit too hot at times' story

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I feel like I'm the only playstation user who's never had a console with overheating issues. Everyone else seems to always have at least one 'this got a bit too hot at times' story

I fried my first ps2 playing gta:sa.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I fried my first ps2 playing gta:sa.

thug life

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

luckily for me i'm really interested in data analytics and stuff, so i want to try and tackle the yelp challenge with it. there's a cash money prize and even if i know i won't win it's still a pretty good motivator

I do stuff with apache spark at work. We've been using a platform called databricks to run it - they have a free community edition you can learn spark with. I've been writing all my ETL jobs in scala spark to ger a better grasp of scala but you can use R or python too, with a couple restrictions due to the spark people's implementation of python on the jvm.Right now spark's the hot analytics platform... It's a real confusing mess but it's great for analyzing massive amounts of data.

WINNINGHARD has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Jun 11, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BITCHTITS
Oct 22, 2003

Perry'd

I used to install mod chips on ps2 and xbox og's for cash money on craigslist back in the day
i hate paying for games now

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Good evening fellow shitlords

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

one step closer to purging the Canadian menace

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9