Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

also it's day crew time, babey. what was everyone's lunch

Tomato and cheese salad. (Which is to say, some tomatoes and some cheese.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Roommate has some kind of hellplague, but when she's feeling better, I think I'm going to make us a deep dish pizza. It's been a while.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Isn't that just how Baloogan says "hi", though?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I hate hospitals. I hate sitting and waiting for news about my sick roommate, or for people to show up for the tests they ordered for her, and the too dry air and the constant beeping and bad mobile reception so I have to use their lovely WiFi and you know I'm not even the sick one so I shouldn't be whining.

Hell is a hospital waiting room.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On the other hand, Minnesota at least has good Medicaid so this won't cost her anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

hospitals always depressed me, just going to interviews there convinced me i could never be a doctor or a researcher in that environment

good luck out there in the hospital world

I have huge respect for folks who work in health care (a lot of nurses in my family and I've never met people who work harder and put up with more) but I've had enough bad associations with waiting in hospitals for any reasonable lifetime.

But they cut my friend loose after ruling out all the scariest stuff, so that's good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If it's a put-on, someone called Civilized Fishbot taking fishmech to task for not being polite enough in the GE thread is possibly the greatest bit of forums performance art I have seen in some time.

If it's real, it's even funnier.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

At the vet with four new kittens.

We just got one new kitten, about 6 months old, and I don't think I've ever seen a cat adjust to a new home as quickly and smoothly as he has. We'll see how that holds up when it comes time for his vet visit, but so far he is the chillest little guy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Your Cause Sucks

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Please Clap

e. ^^^ Okay that's better

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A Friendly And Polite Discussion About Political Issues Of The Day

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My old college roommate and his wife are coming to town and we're going to get together for dinner.

I'm considering a pre-emptive ban on political chat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

anybody know of any good free podcasts about cinema history, especially behind the scenes/business/interesting careers/intersections with politics and society at large/generally more than just 'i liked this movie because of [poo poo i didnt go to film school to not learn]'? i don't know poo poo about old timey movies but i know there's lots of great interesting stories out there. i just want a way to hook all the jeopardy questions about movies to some kind of interesting coherent narrative so my brain can remember them

I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but I Was There Too is meant to be pretty good. Its remit is interviews with people who played tiny roles in famous films.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mrit posted:

No interest in expensive chew toys, but is in love with my socks.

As far as I have been able to determine, this is a universal truth of pets.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Baloogan posted:

i wish my hair was 'fizzy' like that

Yeah, man. My hair gets long and curly if I let it go a while but its natural state is less that and more a tangled mess. And I have no patience for anything much more than running a brush through it occasionally so that look is forever beyond me. (I'd get it cut before things go that far but (a) lazy and (b) I like to let it get long enough to donate to charity).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have actually seen almost no lawn signs this year.

Of course I live in Minnesota so I can't rule out the possibility that MIGF is wandering about o'nights and hunting them for sport.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

There are fewer signs here all the time, but that's just because one of the shitheads running for county judge is having his cronies steal as many other signs as possible to open up good spots to put his signs.

If the other signs weren't going up I would 100℅ think it was MIGF doing it.

Of course, after saying that, on my way home last night I saw like four Johnson / Weld signs. I wonder if the homeowners knew they were there.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Konstantin posted:

Remember how you felt 24 hours ago? Remember how happy everyone was, and how much we were looking forward to the future? I miss those days, and they will never come back.

Naah. A lovely thing happened and a dark time is upon us, but joy and love and beauty have not been murdered forevermore.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahaha, are people seriously whining about "the sanctity of the holy toxx" or some bullshit?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NOT A TOXX! NOT A TOXX! YOU THE TOXX!

(I actually didn't toxx for anyone)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

standing in front of a mirror at midnight

Bloody Yard Signs.

lights flicker

Bloody YARD SIGNS

a faint wind begins to blow, and an odd keening noise sounds at the edge of my hearing

BLOODY YARD SI-

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Someone needs to play the sad Incredible Hulk music when Obama leaves the White House in January.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I totally get it and would probably feel the same way about starting a thread about a controversial topic too, but it occurs that an inability to even consider the possibility of idle conversation with people we consider 'loathsome' is a huge part of the problem with pretty much every political faction there is right now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Man, Trump's not even president yet and already the constitutional protection against cruel and unusual punishment is gone

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

angerbeet posted:

I for one hope that Trump brings out the snake poem again for his Thank You tour I liked that thing

I hope he reads it to his most ardent followers and ends with DO YOU NOT GET IT I'M THE SNAKE YOU'RE THE SILLY WOMAN LATER FOOLS I'M OFF TO SIGN THE COUNTRY OVER TO GOLDMAN-SACHS AND PLAY GOLF FOR FOUR YEARS

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Grouchio posted:

So what's your take on James Mathis being a Defense Secretary, being essentially today's Patton?

Apparently he talks like someone out of an action movie (which would explain his appeal to Trump, our nation's first five-year-old President).

But he told Trump that torture is bullshit which, by Trump cabinet nominee standards, pretty much makes him Jesus. So I assume there's something completely horrible about him that we haven't heard yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

guys

we're about to get a half inch of snow and - get this - 30 degree weather, so they're closing the offices and sending everyone home

At first I read that as -30 weather.

Not that we'd close down for that here, either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

i have (most of, provably) today off too, its getting a lil ridic

Back when I lived in Virginia, we actually got winter weather on a semi-regular basis (though not particularly extreme stuff), but no one seemed to ever internalize that it could happen, so every time someone so much as played Winter Wonderland on the radio poo poo closed down and good luck buying bread anywhere. (In fairness, I did know someone who lived up in the mountains where a big snowstorm could literally mean you were homebound for weeks.)

Whereas here in Minnesota, don't even talk to us about closing things down if a giant wolf has not actually eaten the sun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

At last, something good happened in 2016.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A top 500 straight male? Did I miss the Top Straight Males contest again?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

lol if u dont think we'll marathon spice girls music videos right after ironically :q:

pencil me the fk down Pompy~

"ironically"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

my bus driver is a. Lost and b. Appears to be drunk. Im going to see where this goes but if i never post again youll know why

imo you haven't lived as a transit user until you've been on a bus where the passengers were loudly explaining the route to the completely clueless driver.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

game recommendation time

what's a nice game in a science-fiction setting that isn't mostly about shooting poo poo in the face and is enjoyable/interesting to play? like minimal action, but big on ideas and story? i enjoyed the longest journey series and the anno series

Primordia

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not a hundred percent sure whether the intent of this gang tag or whatever it is was complimentary, but I'm kind of loving the paradox, so thank you, anonymous friend!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Crais probably has my favorite arc on the show, but Scorpius is a great villain, and I absolutely love that his 'redemption' involves nothing about his goals or ethics changing, just his circumstances.

I watched the first hour of Star Trek: The Motion Picture on the way home from work today for some reason. The Enterprise has almost started on its way. (That is barely an exaggeration.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Crais's arc is good, no doubt. I love the ambiguity about Scorpius, though. He's clearly a ruthless antagonist when we first meet him and while he gets a lot more understandable as things go you never fully know if his motivations are real or just another layer of deception and intrigue. I mean just think of that last scene in Peacekeeper War when Graiza and the Emperor finally sign the armistice or whatever and he's standing there, smirking.

Scorpius is an almost unique combination of someone who is incredibly subtle and deceitful and someone who has a very clear, very simple goal that informs absolutely everything he does over the course of the series. He's such a well-realized character.

I also love that he (a) believes that John likes him, really and (b) that everyone would just naturally be on his side if they only understood how bad Scarrans are.

The two-parter at the end of Season 3 is so masterful in so many ways. It's really a shame that Season 4 disappeared up itself so badly (though I really, really like the finale).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Crackers don't matter.

HUMANS ARE SUPERIOR

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of Star Trek, I am now about 1 hour and 20 minutes into Star Trek: The Motion Picture (I've seen it before but not since I was a kid). It's got this reputation of being a slow-paced movie that isn't very good, but I think if you watch it with an open mind today, you'll find that it's a slow-paced movie that isn't very good.

It's a shame because there's a potentially great story in there (Kirk exploiting an emergency to take back the Enterprise and the actual captain being rightfully annoyed by this) but they don't really commit hard to it. And it just feels like no one involved actually wants to be there. The kid playing Decker is trying his best (and I can't believe it took me this long to make the connection between First Officer Will Decker who is sometimes at odds with the captain and who has an alien ex-girlfriend and First Officer Will Riker who etc. etc.)

Some of the space shots are really pretty though, which is good BECAUSE YOU'LL BE SEEING QUITE A LOT OF THEM. I just finished up a 15-minute sequence that was 'ten seconds of Space Cloud, ten seconds of random crewmember looking surprised or frightened, repeat forever'. McCoy wandered onto the bridge like twice to just stare at the viewscreen and left again without saying anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

i feel like it was aping a lot of the trappings of 2001 without any purpose, it was slow because 2001 was, it had spock leave the ship and fly into a monolith and have weird visions, v'ger being a human spacecraft gone rogue mirrors hal i guess and also the mission in 2010 to go check out whats up with the discovery (alas ST:TMP predates the publication of 2010 but thats not gonna stop me mentioning it)

it looks gorgeous and has a great score, i especially like the klingon battle horns and the theme which i assume is slightly different to the TNG theme or something but it sounds the same to me

in many ways star trek i and star trek v are the yin and yang of trek; one has gorgeous visuals and a great score and horrible fashions and the other has the warm camaraderie and three best friends eatin beans and singin a song

in conclusion star trek v is the second best star trek movie after star trek vi

Yeah, the 2001 connection certainly occurred to me. And it absolutely can't be emphasized enough how beautiful the film looks. They spent a lot of money on the visual effects and it really shows.

I have a vague recollection of it having been adapted from the pilot for the ill-fated 'Star Trek Phase 2' revival series, so there's probably a good reason it feels like an exceptionally padded TV episode.

I'm planning on marathoning through at least the first 6 Trek films (we'll see how well my resolve collides with Generations) and V is definitely the one I'm most curious about since I haven't seen it in forever (and it's the other one that has the particularly terrible reputation).

And yeah, count me in among the DS9 Best Trek folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

The time between the end of the original Star Trek and The Motion Picture, and the release of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and today is now the same

As indeed is the time between the beginning of The Motion Picture and the end of The Motion Picture

• Locked thread