Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
This thread is lovely. How far out of politics can we go? I think I have something like 600 shitposts in Bernie threads, and enjoy Something Awful more than ever. I was thinking about starting a thread in You Look Like poo poo about gymnastics and training connective tissue, does that mean I have to know what I'm talking about? How much work should I put into an OP?

Factorio is great. I bought the Starcrafts instead of Overwatch with my limited game budget, and because someone mentioned the Steam sale on controllers ( I want to say NumberLast?) I blew 85 bux on the Steam link and a Controller. Soon I can Factorio from my bed instead of sleeping!

I'm playing Khan Academy like it's a part time job though.

I can math! You can learn anything! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

It wasn't me because I would never say anything to facilitate the sale or use of Steam controllers.

Wait what, are they bad?

rudatron posted:

How does Khan compare top coursera, I tried that for a bit but it didn't grab me.

Oh, well I'm not terribly familiar with Top Coursera, but from what I see on google, they're similar in the way that you can find a thing and learn about it. I haven't tried a lot of the things in Khan, but I recently watched his hour long series about WW2, and it was just something interesting to see. Apparently they are developing more courses in history with a quiz at the end, to see how well you paid attention. So, it's simple?
Thanks for mentioning it, I looked at some of the courses offered and they're really interesting! Learning how to learn looks really useful, and I'm trying to transfer to UCSD, where the course comes from, so that's definitely near the top of my list now.

Where I'm seeing Khan Academy shine is with math. I never went to high school, and now I'm in college, so all the reading and keeping myself informed over the years never taught me algebra. Now I have to take chemistry, and I don't like feeling stupid, so instead of sitting around in what is to me an incredibly boring 4 unit class, I can do the self paced math, and learn from videos. I don't feel chided by a machine telling me I'm wrong about a problem my friend's 12 year old son can do in his sleep, so that helps, and it seems really good at speeding me through things I understand, and presenting new avenues into things I don't. The badges and points looked dumb at first, but after you get a couple hundred thousand of them, they are a nice extrinsic reward. You can also chart your progress, and there's lots of graphs to show you what you've been doing, and how you're doing with it.

I'm hoping to progress through algebra by the middle of next month, so I can take a placement test, and be able to take that chemistry class in the fall.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

I've been using it to learn programming and app development.

Never done coding before so I've been starting from scratch. The quality of the courses vary more based on who's presenting than what the course is covering.

I'd honestly thought Lynda was a person. It seems to cost money. I'm guessing it's worth it?
Code academy is free! Have you tried it?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

I haven't tried Code Academy but I like Lynda and have access to it for free. :shrug:

Lucky!

Man Whore posted:

witcher 3 is probably my favorite game since ??? and I feel it gains more from being open world than it loses then again I am a broke brain who still plays skyrim 5 years after release so I don't think I represent the interests of your average person.

also thanks thread for telling me about khan academy because I feel in the 3 years since highschool that I've lost basically all my academic knowledge.

Dude, me too! On everything but witcher. I couldn't get into it for some reason, dunno why.

But seriously though, I started with arithmetic for that same reason, I was so behind when I started, but the way that KA works, they blend the skills, so now I've "mastered" almost 90% of arithmetic and at the same time, gotten %60 through pre-algebra and about %10 through algebra.

I have a really good friend with a disability that severely restricts her movement, and she's been depressed since she had to move back in with her parents in rural Montana. She was feeling really trapped, and since I told her about KA, she's blazing through it, and it opened a whole world of opportunities for her! gently caress yeah internet!

NumberLast posted:

In my opinion, yeah.

Huh. Guess I'll find out when it gets here if I agree with you. The link seemed cool since I can stream movies from my PC with it, and almost all of my games are on Steam. The controller is something that it's designed to work with, so I figured "what the hell".

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

nutranurse posted:

dont spread love to these people; they are our evil doppelgangers complete with goatees

I sport manly stubble. I cant help it that my non beard grows in the shape of a mustache/goatee.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

knee fee-feess

This is the original thing that I was on about, with the idea of making a thread in You Look Like poo poo.

I subscribed to the Tim Ferriss podcast after listening to his interview on a Freakonomics podcast (would highly recommend both, along with Raidolab). The Ferriss podcast centers on efficiently maximizing the use of your time for self improvement, along with general bullshit like him and other intelligent guys he knows getting drunk, and talking about interesting things. He wrote a bunch of books called the "4 hour (body, workweek, ect...)".

One of the older ones was an interview with coach Christopher Sommer, and it goes in depth into problems of mobility and the relation to connective tissue. I remember back when I was taking Oom Yung Doe, the original exercises were a bunch of Kata that used no weight and felt silly, but now looking back I see that thy were focused on training connective tissue. Coach Sommer explains how this works in a way that makes me really excited about doing what one of Tim's friend called "loving stupid Hanoi Jane exercises". Connective tissue is not fed by blood the same way that all other tissue in the body is, hence its whiteness, so it takes a lot longer to build up. 200 days vs. 90 for muscle is what I remember.

The most basic exercise in the podcast mentioned was to sit in a simple L shape, and to use your quadriceps to lift your heels of the ground (the Hanoi Jane bullshit). I did it for a while and my knees felt way better.

Here's a couple links:

http://fourhourworkweek.com/podcast/

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/the-benefits-of-hamstring-flexibility-and-pike-compression/

Solvent has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What? Does that repair computers?

Condolences.
What's wrong with it?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
That's probably just a dead video card. Have you tried taking it out, and plugging your monitor into your motherboard's port?

E: On another note, the Steam link's not bad. I can stream my desktop to the living room for 35 bucks. Steam controller is cool too, haptic feedback for the two thumb touchpads, good weight, and no real problems, really plug n play with the link.

Solvent has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jun 11, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mrit posted:

Probably your videocard. Your motherboard may have another video out.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NumberLast posted:

That sucks, man.

Such is the danger of following advice given without context.

e: Are you phone posting or do you have a secondary PC?

Good point. I apologize for not thinking of this.

So my computers have been notorious for not accepting the motherboard's port while a graphics card is installed. Since Matoi has it open, it might be productive to unplug the graphics card first. Given your seeming lack of knowledge on the subject, I suggest you do it GENTLY, and make sure you touch something metal just before you unplug it, so I was told, this will discharge any static electricity you might shock the delicate circuitry with... you do have a graphics card... right? Also, make a point to go buy some tools at the 99 cent store near you when you have a chance. Screwdrivers are cheap, and I forget other people aren't as accustomed to having a workshop full of crap to do basic stuff with.

Also, learn to change your own oil and replace your own brake pads. This is a general recommendation for anybody with a car.

... and make me a sig sometime. Please?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThndrShk2k posted:

Yup, the only problem now is :effort: in making key bindings for the game, or waiting for a scrub to make one you can use.

It's great for things like First Person Roguelikes and such though, that's for sure. Played a shitton of Delver with it to get used to it. Medium paced FPS style movement is good for getting used to it.
Love the trackball mode for mouselook and right analog stick, but wish they would add trackball style momentum to left analog//movement bindings.

Fantastic game for it: Valkyria Chronicles. Not only does it support simultaneous KBM and controller, the mouse can be used as fine tune aiming while everything else in the game you can have the original xinput bindings. (Plus as a console game port it is one of the best technically done ports I've ever loving seen and wish every console game gets an amazing port like this, and I wish Sega would capitalize on the PC functions with more games. I believe they're making more VKs and I hope those all use the same ported engine... if they port those to PC when they do re-release them.)

Noted, and thanks for your recommendations! I bought this stuff cause of you it seems.
I'll be sure to take a look at Delver and Valkyria Chronicles too.

I was so braindead yesterday from 8 hours of math, all I could muster was enough effort to play FF IV, grinding to beat Zeromus.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I'm broke so that's not going to happen anytime soon, if you post a sig request in my BYOB sig request thread I'll get to it in a couple of months, when I get a new computer.

No rush! I'm going out for a bit, but I'll walk you through this stuff if you need more help later. It's all really easy.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThndrShk2k posted:

The VGA/DVI cable can come undone with your fingers. If it's stuck in use plyers or a coin or something to start turning it.
The secondary port thing is only if you have a video port on your mobo as well as a GFX card

Your HDD should be fine though depending on the issue. The data can be recovered.

If you wish to see if it's just your video card you can boot it up and then look at your router's web UI to see if it says it's connected. Perhaps do a ping test to the PC to see if it responds (if the PC doesn't just go "I WON'T BOOT WITHOUT A VALID VIDEO CARD RESPONSE" though, some do.)

If you verify your PC can respond, it's fine and just a video card issue.
If it doesn't respond, could be any number of things depending on how far it boots.

( VGA= monitor port with pins, HDMI= you know this one, MOBO = Motherboard, GFX card= Video or Graphics Card, Router's UI = User interface for the thing that makes WiFi)

E:Oh. it seems that I forget that HDMI and DVI are actually different things.

Solvent has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Jun 11, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Yeah, I started doing the training with only 10k but it needed a little more. 10k wasn't satisfying enough.

Oh good. No AC or heat either I suppose?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Baloogan posted:

ya american blood thank god

kkkanada and amerikkka combined is a huge loving country from sea to sea to sea

United Canadian and American States

Welcome to the shadows chummer.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Matoi is awesome

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm starting to worry he's hitting the sauce a little too hard these days.

He seems like he'd be ok in person. I almost like the guy. Like I could trade insults with him over a beer.
Right up until he drank too much and started shouting about nothing.
It's that drat incoherent obnoxiousness that gets me.

I'm assuming people are different when not behind a computer though.

Oh, protip: If you black out, you have a drinking problem.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

BITCHTITS posted:

this thread is pretty OK in my books gents

:agreed:

never blacked out, always remembered what I did, but man I've totally had alcohol poisoning

all that means is I lived through my twentys I think :shrug:

Seems really bad to not remember what I was doing.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Dawww. That was a rather engaging comment, it wasn't rude, it smacked of pithy wit and knowledge regarding her favorite subject.

DO IT

go back AND DO IT

YOU CAN DO IT

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Funny story about drinking too much. I remember I was at a party a friend of mine was throwing at the apartment she lived in while she went to SDSU. Just a bunch of people drinking really, loud music, people in the pool with clothes on. I remember thinking that I needed to sober up for the drive home, so I grabbed the jug of Tampico which was half full, and chugged most of it. Turns out someone had poured the vodka in it, and I didn't notice.

I passed out on the floor of her bathroom. I remember her kicking me while I was on the floor at one point, yelling at me to get the gently caress up.

I got her back for that though.

I dated her for a year and a half

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Classic Comrade posted:

it's just off-putting for me because i'm mistaken for like.... a 14 year old. lol

Pics or it didn't happen.

I'm mistaken for faculty at the community college I attend. I think I'm envious, but I'm not sure what's worse.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

logikv9 posted:

if there is, also tell me how to get rid of these annoying as gently caress gnats around my apartment thanks

I'm not an entomologist, but these are all solid tips:

http://m.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Gnats

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Al! posted:

Man that Factorio is really a piece of work

I like it, but it gives me some degree of anxiety when I play it.
Like for example, after 6 or 8 hours vanish into the machine, I feel similar to how I do when I get off work.
I should be collecting a paycheck after optimizing assembly lines for so many hours.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

MaxxBot posted:

He's catchin' on I'm tellin ya!

Why is this a thing?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Homework Explainer posted:

i meant to share it earlier but i found the actual best okc profile

90% match.

If she was serious she'd just troll the VA for dates.

You could suggest that you walk her on a leash around the Paralympics as a first date.

Just don't take her anywhere too expensive since dating her evidently costs an arm and a leg :rimshot:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Sadly, YCS (Edit: It's C-SPAM now) is better for your being in it Baloogan.
Your maniacal support for the most disgusting of politics is endearingly entertaining.

That being said, you need help.
Like, serious, qualified, professional help.

Welcome back.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ThndrShk2k posted:

poopery worker

heh.
That sounds even worse than it is.

I wanted to say thanks again for recommending that steam controller man, I'm lovin it.
I got Street fighter 4 and Portal 2 for the cost of a large lunch yesterday, and they're great with it.
Another friend of mine is gettin one and a link because of the Steam summer sale, and my glowing review.
You oughta be getting pyramid scheme style kickbacks from steam by this point.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Baloogan posted:

anyone interested in playing a multiplayer game HOI4 C-SPAM style? I can host

hilarious when a communist USA invades fachist france while democratic germany looks on

I'm waiting for Civ 6 to come out, and I've been yelled at for being too peaceful in Civ 5 multiplayer.

I'd probably spend the entire match trying to spread single payer healthcare.

I also really want to know more about you.
Like, are you drunk and racist all the time? Or just when you post?
Is this shitposting some kind of horrid cry for help? Or is it the best satire I've seen since Steven Colbert?
Mixture of both?
Are you going to start wrestling women and feuding with Jerry Lawler next?

God, it's almost like you could get drunk and vomit words for money.
Am I right? Have I seen your picture? Are you really a skinny little white guy with glasses?

You could wear an oversized suit and interview Sacha Baron Cohen, and I'd watch.
It'd be spectacular as long as nobody took you seriously.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Mrit posted:

This probably describes half the people in this forum.

The other half are fat.

:sad:

WINNINGHARD posted:

You'd understand if you had high T.

I'm a premature senior citizen. :smithfrog:
Get the hell off the dirt patch that used to be my lawn.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
lolwat.
Urmad Baloogan.

That WAS you, I thought so. You seem mad about being you.
I think you're actually funny. I mean, your ideas are kinda that brand of insane that is unfortunately socially acceptable for some reason, but I don't dislike you.

Good luck with all that shtick man.
I'll just go on laughing in the meantime.

Grapefruit Sculpin is great. I dare you to try watermelon dorado now.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

pine cones on the label

Hop juice. It was good when they were selling it at the introductory price of 3$ for a 24 ounce. Also Torpedoes, and Dorado without the vomit inducing watermelon flavor that rivals ballast point's other generic ipecac replacement called victory at sea.

It's all overpriced bullshit.
When I start drinking again I'm just going to sip Johnny Walker Black.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
It's hard to beat Lill sumthin really, but Maximus is a close second.
That shutdown was pretty cool for a while, but I haven't seen it in a long time. Torpedoes are the stand by for hops lovers, and I ended up listening to Suicidal Tendencies for a half hour because I clicked on your black flag link. So thanks for all that.
I'm guessing you live in California?

Also, pillars of eternity is an amazing game I wish I had another 30bucks to spend on, since I see that It's on sale along with all its DLC.
God drat you Steam.

I have like a week before I have to start my internship dusting artifacts and building display cases for the archeology center. I miss being a kid and getting to enjoy Summers doing nothing.

And before I go collect junk in that Skyrim with guns Bethesda crapped out, I have to say what a lovely effort probation 'loog got. It's wistful and made me smile, but not look up the original poem.
I feel that would have somehow detracted from it.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Well... what's the intonation?
Is it Baloogan?
Because he's a Canadian I hear.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
That first movie was fun garbage.

Game of thrones is the most fun garbage.
Unlike the layer of Coney Island Whitefish, and garish flag draped beer cans that tourists from Arizona will spread across San Diego.

I'm going to play Fallout 4 all weekend, and write essays applying for scholarships I might get in the fall.

Winter is coming.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

exploding mummy posted:

Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is a good game

Saw: The movie : The game.

You lose.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

exploding mummy posted:

There was a really bad Saw game and the Zero Escape series is a secretly a whole bunch of existential philosophy and :catdrugs: and nothing like Saw.

You're probably right on all counts. I read the steam description an judged it casually then made an unfunny joke.

40$ Though? Not to compare apples and oranges, but is it really five bux better than the new Doom?

Fast Luck posted:

In case you missed it, make sure to follow this cool Goon Project everybody
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781708

"Down the road at the gun show, dozens of vendors lined up to sell everything from AR-15s to right-wing t-shirts. The thing that stood out most immediately was the Nazi flag on display. There were hot pink shotguns, confederate memorabilia, and many interesting tattoos on display. But nothing puts you on edge like seeing a swastika in public. I decided to give it a wide berth while I settled in to the environment."

It's interesting. I agree that nothing putting you on edge like a swastika in public. Is this Jacksonville Florida? Or North Carolina? I didn't catch that.
I like the idea of 'no platform' when talking about politics. Is NPR gonna pick this up? Seems like their bag.
Correct me if I'm wrong about the liberal content bias though. I mean, man, you hear immigrants talking about being workaholics contrasted with a guy talking about how 'the rebel (confederate) flag got a bad wrap', how can you not be biased? Or am I just conflating sane with liberal now? I cant even tell anymore...

Where's Baloogan to get probated for saying something disgusting when you need him?
I'm still frightened of catching microcephaly because of that thread of his. I heard a mosquito today and I could just feel my skull deflating.

E: OMG it's Maryland.

Solvent has issued a correction as of 01:22 on Jul 1, 2016

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Happy America day.

Though I am oft disappointed by my countrymen, I do appreciate my country, and am proud of the populous state I live in.

Might I also add that if you don't like America, move somewhere else.

I suggest North Korea.

You know who you are.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
My Fourth of July was more eventful than I had hoped. I got a 10pm call from my very drunk, 21 year old ex.
She was happy to see me, and pounced on me when I got to the bar she was at. I do still love her, but god drat is she a hot gorgeous mess.
I informed her that I am now very boring, and then bought her a burrito and put her to bed.
I cant think a better way to tank a pre-coitus interview.

Interestingly enough, it was nice to see how much her parents approve of me.

Baloogan posted:

how would you feel if instead of an american gun culture we could have an american katana culture instead?

Swords require skill to use competently. The amount of training it would take to learn to use a sword to do something other than chop your own ear off, is greater than that it would take to keep from shooting yourself in the foot, and a lot of the same psychological benefit of obtaining proper from could be obtained by practicing with a weighted Kendo stick. Seems like that would also be a good way of training the body's fascia, relatively light weight and a zen-like focus on precision movements that flow from one position to the next.

I see how guns can be fun, and I've spent time with rednecks shooting stumps and trees, but it was much more satisfying for me to just hit a paper target with a pellet rifle, than it was to empty a Glock at a piece of corrugated sheet metal.

Not to incite any argument, but it seems to me that the second amendment has more to do with the idea of personal power flowing from the barrel of a gun.
I don't think that this is the case now so much as it was when the American constitution was drafted, but I also think that the problems with mass shootings have to do more with people in America feeling depersonalized and helpless to control their lives for one reason or another than anything to do with gun culture, or gun control. I've known quite a few people who fetishize guns, but were never weaponized by some kind of flawed philosophy to do more than collect and drool over their newest quazi-legal piece. It's all a rather poor outlet anyways, but I try to stay tolerant of that which is not agreeable with my own ideas of good or right.
My current opinion is that power comes from knowledge, discretion and subtlety. None of which are as easy to pick up or use as a gun.

As soon as I have 450$ to blow on something I absolutely don't need:

http://www.zombietools.net/shop/xiphos/

Those ZT swords... I'd take one over a gun any day. They have fun looking videos of their version of a katana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8UrvkPnY8s

And all their blades are insanely durable spring steel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg

Also:
The book Starship Troopers was much better than the move, and the (first) movie was good.
I want to see a movie version of Stranger in a Strange Land myself. I'm sure that would develop a cult following if done halfway close to the way it was written.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Fastluck reopen the thread please, this is good poo poo

:agreed:

How come I cant find this to listen to as a podcast? Am I doing it wrong? Is it not in the iTunes store?

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Statistically the state with the most drivers on the road would have the most drivers who are bad.

I think that, and haven driven all over LA county gives me cause to call California the state with the worst drivers.

Seriously, try going anywhere on the 101 between the hours of 6am and 8pm.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Classic Comrade posted:

o well at least i'll finally be graduating this year so that's one positive thing, in my life, at least

Gratz, what's your degree in, and can you tell me something interesting you learned about it?

Learning is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

oystertoadfish posted:

hey remember THIS SONG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03gEzdLa2g

• Locked thread