Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

skipped 3 pages yall still talkin about video games i dont play those

i bought a yamaha dgx-660 and i bet thats like a really bad choice for audiophiles or w/e, i know i googled up some guy on reddit who hated it so much, but the keys kinda feel like a real piano and i can play mendelssohn to my heart's content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Al! posted:

mine is an ono sendai

i googled that. i read neuromancer a long rear end time ago and remember nothing about it. thanks for listen

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i mean im still here

ive also been trying to write some r code to create optimized lineups for betting on baseball on draftkings

so far i have lost like 50 bucks. i just have it taking whatever quantile from a sorted list of past daily fantasy scores tho the real analysis of actually parsing through not only past contest results but also baseball-reference stats to outperform random chance plus the house's cut is still ahead of me. its kinda fun. i guess

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 04:02 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive been learning how to cook i wanna start making a healthy omelette in the morning or some poo poo instead of eating cereal which is a vegetarian plot from the 19th century but im lazy

hopefully this weekend ill buy like ten ingredients and try this out http://www.tastyappetite.net/2012/12/how-to-make-masala-omelette-spicy.html

ive gotten acceptably mediocre at baking chicken wings, got my louisiana hot sauce and my yucateco (thats the real star) and advice from southerners who know how to cook, still lots of room to improve. but i also need to expand into other meals

and stop drinking so much

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i read LPs about mapgames and wargames a lot, its just that like five years ago i realized i would just buy a game and stop caring about it within like 3 weeks

paradox games were the last ones i really enjoyed and logged time in, maybe ill get stellaris in like five years or something

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rip pancre-al

a pro ycs strat is to engulf yourself in sports-related bitterness until there's no emotional space left for caring about politics imo

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

dc and uva are quite bitterness-inducing to really care about the sports teams of

especially when you get that umd is life undeserving of life

uva won college baseball that's kinda like winning a aa minor league championship so my enjoyment is somewhat measured. even i don't care about the loving lacrosse championships we have lol

idk i made a lot of e-friends on sas 10 years ago and i just kinda talk with them on twitter nowadays i dont even go in sas now

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

NumberLast posted:

lol if you care about sports

i didnt care about sports until the nats showed up and then i got it

its a way of developing and exhibiting raw human talent that organically generates storylines which are unmatched in what i hope it would be particularly infuriating to refer to as 'scripted media' i.e. every form of entertainment that's not sports

e-sports are just the korean form of pro wrestling tho im not defending either of those things. i have e-friends who like 'em both but nah

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if you like the pittsburgh penguins i hope your life falls apart

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

usually i dont like video LPs i mostly like screenshot LPs

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

sometimes i fall asleep to history podcasts/lectures on tape

im most of the way through http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ i think there's a thread on here i can get recs from but if anybody has a history/academic-in-general podcast i should write a script to download the .mp3s next id do that

i ''''acquired''''' a shitload of the teaching company lectures years ago and there are more of those i could run through but ive listened to most of the ones i thought were interesting by now

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i started this http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ a few weeks ago its gone ok ive only skipped one day

hopefully i can keep my poo poo together and keep showing up, i've fallen off this wagon before. im also doing an adult learn to play hockey thing

good luck real life pelple

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

what a coincidence i literally started this program today, but i started at the bare minimum because it's been almost a decade since i last worked out in any serious way

ive previously tried to cut ahead and started having nagging problems in later weeks so this time i also started at the absolute minimum, exactly the weights he's listing

also i spend like 5-10 minutes before and after the workout kneading my quads and back muscles on a foam roller, im probably overdoing it but its so far prevented some unnerving knee problems that scared me when i started getting to heavier squat weights in past attempts at this poo poo and it also really reduces post-workout aches and pains

edit: idk it was like tightness in the muscle on the outside of the knee, felt like something was twanging back and forth over the bone as i went up and down, i talked to a trainer who seemed to know some poo poo and he told me to foam roll the quad muscle above that spot and it seems to work so far. its all a bit of an unknown to me tho

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

starting strength > stronglifts imo. i should probably ease back into things with that routine rather than the bodybuilding one i was using before, but whatever. fortune favors the bold and so does muscle strain
so this? http://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

phase 1 is very similar to stronglifts. not identical tho. fewer reps, and i've had gym people give me feedback along those lines too. people who mentioned the name rippetoe, which i've read before, and turns out starting strength is his poo poo. so that's meaningful

i know mostly i just need to keep moving weight and developing good habits but as i start to hit plateaus or w/e i guess ill keep this in mind ty

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

ive been lifting 3x/wk, skating 2x/wk, it's been p sustainable, my weight hasn't changed in a month and while that's not my priority, i'm focused on increasing the lifting #s and gaining hockey ability/endurance and that's happening, it's becoming clear that i need to get my poo poo together on the dietary front

i have a really hard time not falling off the wagon wrt cardio unless i'm engaged in some kind of purpose ie a sport, hockey has helped in that regard

but gently caress it. buttfuck it. i just wanna look like 80s comedians with like towels under their sweatsuits

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:37 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh lord i know that feel, these hockey people are the only fuckers i know in this town outside of work and all the engineers i work with are staunch anti-work drama people apparently since not one of them has ever said anything interesting and neither have i. so theyre not my friends

i always liked soccer at a real low level as a motivation for cardio, im not any good tho so i dont want to play in an organized league. i guess ill run into it someday

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

I don't know how you guys put up with lifting. It bores me to tears. I used to do a lot of lifting until I quit smoking weed and since then it's been maddening to show up at the gym.

I picked up a road bike and started riding my bike to work a few weeks ago. It's 16 miles each way, but it's down the PCH and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Any of you guys learning programming to get a job doing it?

im the opposite, lifting keeps me engaged but when i was getting high i just wouldnt show up, and as for the biking i've owned a bike but ended up not using it and regretted the purchase

actually to be specific my bike lock wouldnt unlock outside of nationals park and the loving nationals stole my god drat bike but i still love them sports are a lesson in the evils of capitalism so obvious even newt gingrich couldnt avoid it but im still here

i know r 'cause i did my phd in it, and it turns out you can do a lot of poo poo, like scraping the history of rome podcast site even tho you have to let the links on the site redirect or else you get garbled mp3s, but when you try to share your rad script on twitter some "real programmer" will show up and be like 'why didnt you use python?' and it MAKES ME SO GOD drat ANGRY apparently

idk i always was just brute-forcing my way through getting actual poo poo done and real programmers were always whining about tiny little details and im like d00d i just ran a trillion monte carlo iterations and you want me to have run a trillion and one gently caress you

BUT GRAD SCHOOL DIDNT LEAVE ME A BITTER HUSK OF A MAN OH NO SIR EE

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 05:55 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah As Is Probably Evident i always felt insecure around real programmers as basically a guy who googled how to do programming as a means to an end and cobbled poo poo together from there, but sometimes they're the ones being weird and i should just move on :)

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

"real programmers" mostly muddle their way through poo poo helen keller

yeah i was just psyching myself out. it's all good. all im really doing is offering drunken specifications on the general truism that grad school can be traumatic, if anybody's in that position believe me i understand

Goetta posted:

ALSO if you knee makes kind of a squishy noise or feeling when going up or down then you probably have patella tendonitis, which made me take a long break from lifting. Squatting is kind of scary really with a squishy sore knee because you feel like one time it will just stop working and you wont be able to stand up.

my knee problem was almost the opposite of squishy, it was tight; i felt like a tendon or muscle or something on the outside of my right knee was *twang*ing over a bone and back again on every rep. it was eerie and i always stopped after it happened once or twice. i think my gym's trainer might've given me the right advice bc when i started using the foam roller on the knotty spot on the quadriceps above the place where i felt the problem i could feel things loosening up and i haven't had the problem since, although i'm not up to the weights i've been at when experiencing the problem before. we'll see how it goes. but the more i know the better so thanks for sharing your knee fee-fees

fee-fees was probably the stupid ycs phrase that pissed me off the most and it seems to have died off but i always thought that should've gotten wordfiltered. at this moment however it rhymes

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 06:30 on Jun 10, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Goetta posted:

I used Stata in grad school

i had a stats class where the teacher's whole curriculum was like 'here's how you do it in sas, and here's how you do it way way way way easier in R' for every single task he had us do, and i guess i bought the r propaganda. but i really do like the language. love my do.calls and applys

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

grad school's balls!!!! don't do it!!!

my brother's smarter than me and he dropped out but i made it through. in our experience it's like 95% about whether your advisor is cool and will work with you, or is uncool and will exploit and abuse you. that's just a sample size of n=2 tho

my task was to get 3 peer-reviewed articles published, in real journals not the lovely chinese ones that still email me, and i did it but oh my GOD i hate the peer-review process. gently caress my peers

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i subscribed to pc gamer in the 90s and probably 99% of my gaming purchases were in the last millennium so i had an n64 and ps2 and all but i really missed the whole modern console experience. all this modern console poo poo is beyond my understanding. and thats ok

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Mrit posted:

Same. I own a charity Xbox 360 and own a few games, but I really don't like console gaming. When I game, I like my mouse and keyboard.

like i said before the games ive really enjoyed in the last 5 years have all been paradox (plus the operational art of war iii incidentally) and i may be wrong but i think that kinda poo poo is basically still pc territory

i need to replace my lovely rear end hp laptop THANKS CARLY where i have to literally slap the screen in a specific place to get it to not be discolored and im wondering if i should consider gaming issues but i never loving play games tbh so i probably wont. but im lazy and will keep slapping this lovely laptop for another year probs. anyway i bought the drat electric piano so i shouldnt be throwing money at electronics in the near future tbqh

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i used python or more specifically arcpy for a task at an old job once, python seemed fine, im sure every language is fine, i dont hate python

it just seems like whenever i google and ultimately end up on stackexchange trying to find an r package to do some poo poo i end up finding it

but if i were a programmer as opposed to an engineer i get that the choice of language could be much more important and thats cool. lord knows most engineers just do poo poo in vba+excel and i get that that's not optimal

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

godo dog

its actually a Bad Dog and i hope your mom doesnt spoil it dogs should be spoken to in a gruff loud voice but not a yell immediately after they do poo poo like that so they know the are Bad

otherwise they start to think they can act like cats

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i think ima get back on okc at some point

ugh

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Homework Explainer posted:

okc is so bad in my neck of the woods. college town, so every young person just uses tinder and okc is the domain of obvious shut-ins. which, if that's your thing, cool. when i was in nyc the difference could not be more stark

i was last on okc ~4 years ago, havent ever used tinder. i guess i should look at it too

im 30 now so maybe theres an old person web site for me. match.com or something

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

perhaps if i dont want to be lonely i should consider farmers only dot com

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

don't it's really bad now

It's a ghost town cause everyone switched to tinder which DOES NOT play to my strengths

yeah this is gonna be even more frustrating than i had anticipated

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

edit: ^.......good

im now the leading poster itt

good. thats just... good

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 07:31 on Jun 11, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

my parents friends were making fun of me for being afraid of turning 30 once, i dont think there's anything special about 30 its just one of a trillion different opportunities to feel insecure that people latch onto for a couple years

another example of an opportunity to feel insecure is starting a conversation about online dating in the loving ycs chat thread

i just got the Stable joke

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

WINNINGHARD posted:

your parents friends dont have phds dude. you've accomplished something

:glomp:

at some point i have to think about how im gonna get this across on a tinder profile. or whatever they even loving call em. god damnit

i guess i just loving say it. that seems to be the difference between confidence and not-confidence

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

kidneys are, like, the original wastewater treatment plant
when you think about it
or something
but not really

good post. great effort

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

just realized baloogan's catholicism thread got gassed

and it was generating such productive discussions

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

its me im the sadposter with the sadposts

but im gonna go to the gym and do shopping and theres already nats baseball on

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

recording the euros and we got those sudamericanos goin on too

got that f1 quali later

baseball now and for months and forever

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

do you want a spoiler free zone? of not: england are starting rooney in midfield lol

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont really care tbh i bet others would like to discuss i dont need a gag rule*

*congressional history joke

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

I just want England to lose

id like that as well english sports fans are extremely good at being bitter its fun to watch them be that

i used to follow the stupid qualifying for euro and olympics where like albania-serbia will degenerate into a riot when somebody flies a drone with an albanian flag over the stadium and poo poo but since i got dvr ive watched a lot more american sports and spent a lot less time watching lovely streams

im off my game on internet sports streaming i think reddit has a lot of hd links now

my baseball team kicked a nearby metropolitan area's baseball team's rear end, won 9 of the last 12, good day

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Jun 11, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

Following soccer in the US is great if you work from home, everything is on basic cable and you don't have to wait all day for the game

when i was in college on the east coast i watched a lot of soccer like a whole lot but now im on the west coast and usually work 7-3 so i can get home and watch the east coast 7 pm amerisportball games so yeah soccer hasnt been such a big thing for me recently

i havent torrented aussieball in a while either im normcore now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

:hf:

im currently feeling the high of having exercised

• Locked thread