Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Thank you, I will tinker when I get home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Also I tested this mod for removing the annoying level scaling without papyrus goofs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/73976

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Been making some compatibility patches for various mods using Better Locational Damages guidelines, its pretty fun for a learning experience. Got to learn how to strip the tacticool poo poo from a bunch of them though :(

Bakelite/faux-futuristic aesthetic or begone!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Yeah, I don't care for the ginormous amount of COD weaponry mods. PPSh-41 lookalikes ftw.

And the assault rifle is fabulous, pay no mind to philistines.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't know how to feel about the vanilla assault rifle. It's certainly different and I like that the weapon designer made something unique, but the silhouette is bad. It looks like a submarine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

From a "its meant for power armor usage" perspective its ok, but in the hands of others its a bit odd. Though tbh nowadays I find the combat rifle more annoying/boring.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 10, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I feel similarly about the handmade rifle. It's just an AK.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's ugly

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/56254
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/64725

I use a remesh mod for the assault rifle that still has it be chunky but less ridiculously so. I'd probably prefer to have it replaced with the G3/FAL style R91 from earlier games but weapon replacements have a bad time when loaded into my saved and break with alarming frequency so I'm happy enough having nicer aesthetics without the full change

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Had FallUI break my Sim Settlements 2 run last night oddly! Broke Vim and Vigor quest and then couldnt interact with planning table. Then had to force complete the quest after which refused to roll over despite being finished -_-

Its almost over at least, but now Im hesitant to install the next chapters midgame

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 10, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Huh, personally I wouldn't expect that to work even if I'd never hit a bug like that, but good luck

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the only time I had a problem with sim settlements 2's UI and fallUI was when I was using an otherwise excellent BravoUI preset.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It is weird, supposedly due to an optional item categorizing component in FallUI from what I read on their forums. I can only guess introducing it midgame screwed with object internal ID's somehow.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

It is weird, supposedly due to an optional item categorizing component in FallUI from what I read on their forums. I can only guess introducing it midgame screwed with object internal ID's somehow.

modding a bethesda game mid-playthrough is generally a bad idea. get a good set of mods and fix it, then play the game.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Arivia posted:

modding a bethesda game mid-playthrough is generally a bad idea. get a good set of mods and fix it, then play the game.

The only mods I switch in and out of Bethesda games are clothing or weapons. It shouldn't break the game to add armor or a sword or gun or whatever... shouldn't, anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

The only mods I switch in and out of Bethesda games are clothing or weapons. It shouldn't break the game to add armor or a sword or gun or whatever... shouldn't, anyway.

congratulations you've now created broken item records when you remove them. bad. this is why your games crash and become less stable. DON'T DO IT, PERIOD.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

That depends. If the items are being injected into leveled lists (so they can appear as random/enemy loot), then yes, adding them midgame can absolutely gently caress with things. If you're adding things midgame that just have a static spawn point and don't appear anywhere else, you're generally fine AS LONG AS there aren't any other mods touching that same area.

Under no circumstances should you be removing mods then loading saves without them. As mentioned above, this is leaving orphaned entries in your save that will, at some point, completely break the game.

Bethesda games are actually remarkably good at just trucking along when potentially game-breaking errors happen but then catastrophically breaking later on. There was a long-standing bug with settlements where deleting items connected by power lines would remove the items but the power lines would remain in some sort of weird limbo. The player couldn't see them or interact with them, and for all intents and purposes they didn't exist, but eventually enough would build up in the game engine that the game would get incredibly unstable and most likely crash whenever getting even remotely near the settlement.

It's kind of like going "oh hey, my stomach hurts" and instead of going to the doctor, you just ignore it as it gets worse and worse until suddenly you're in the ICU because you had a small hole in your stomach lining and now you're septic and dying.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

dolphinbomb posted:

Bethesda games are actually remarkably good at just trucking along when potentially game-breaking errors happen but then catastrophically breaking later on.

one of the most aggravating things about bethesda games, and the biggest reason why you should mod out that bullshit "ONE SAVE ONLY" mechanic if you choose to play on survival mode because this feels almost inevitable.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah I understand, I was just caught off guard since a UI submod interacting with those internal systems in such a way was unexpected. I still don't see the salvage ingredients for items outside those FROM the SS2 mod, but I imagine thats due to the exact mechanical reliance on ID's described. Id rather not restart a 14 hour game since I just got to Chapter 2 of the mod, so I'll deal with it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can't really blame you, I love Sim Settlements but the time to ramp up and get everything going is loving enormous, especially once you've played it a few times. There should be a compromise option to skip the early parts of unlocks given by quests rather than just unlocking EVERYTHING. Also I tend to hit a wall once I get to the HQ management stuff because it's just baffling to me, just totally inscrutable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah I understand, I was just caught off guard since a UI submod interacting with those internal systems in such a way was unexpected. I still don't see the salvage ingredients for items outside those FROM the SS2 mod, but I imagine thats due to the exact mechanical reliance on ID's described. Id rather not restart a 14 hour game since I just got to Chapter 2 of the mod, so I'll deal with it.

I think the UI sorting stuff actually does that by rubbing itself all over the item names/IDs/something, so that actually seems like it could cause horrible problems if it's not there from the start.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Flesh Forge posted:

Can't really blame you, I love Sim Settlements but the time to ramp up and get everything going is loving enormous, especially once you've played it a few times. There should be a compromise option to skip the early parts of unlocks given by quests rather than just unlocking EVERYTHING. Also I tend to hit a wall once I get to the HQ management stuff because it's just baffling to me, just totally inscrutable.

After half a dozen SS2 starts my problem with it is the amount of story content that I can't be arsed to play anymore. Fortunately there's quest skipping, and after getting the all the plot types in, it's easy enough to build up the settlements and start unlocking most of the higher-level ones.

Which bits of the HQ management made it problematic? It works reasonably well given the limits of the UI, and I never had any problems, and I'm dumb, lazy and casual.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I def respect the mod tho. Its well polished and the full voice acting is definitely an impressive feat. Most bugs I hit I assume are mostly just engine or mod-conflict related, with the latter ofc being my own fault. I will prob do continue Chapter 2 today since the vanilla story is meh.

Ive yet to start any DLCs tho, which order are they recommended to do?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lol SS2 chapter 2 kicked off, but the Gunner "RNG capture a settlement" quest captured Sanctuary and they all spawned in the main house in a blob. My settlers and guards just sort of stood around and ignored them so had to wipe them out myself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing FO4 for the first time, stacked with a decent amount of mods--mostly weapons and graphics, and a few quest mods--and one of those quest mods apparently adds a new bit of map that is completely borked.

This is Devil's Marsh, some googling tells me it's from the Vault 1080 mod. If I go forward I clip through the ground in front of the gate so that's not ideal. I ran MO2 and told it to optimize my load order but that doesn't seem to have helped anything. Any idea?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how did you optimize you load order. If you used LOOT then you are kinda hosed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Tankbuster posted:

how did you optimize you load order. If you used LOOT then you are kinda hosed.

That...is exactly what I did. Like I said, first time so I'm not sure how this stuff works tbh.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
in general, things that are large huge mods go to the top of your list. Most big modpacks whether they be wabbajacks or nexusmods collections come sorted in a particular manner.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
In MO2 the list on the left is "priority", those on top are more important. Thia occasionally matters (mod descriptions usually tell so if it's necessary), while the list on the right is the load order; mods loaded in first get their data overwritten by those loaded later - which matters only if two mods modify the same stuff.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

From what I'm seeing in various comments on Nexus the Vault 1080 mod conflicts with a bunch of other mods that change the same area, load order won't really matter without a compatibility patch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Big patch for Sim Settlements 2, a lot of arcane bullshit buried in 5 layers of menus is now just automated or shown to you on a single page when you actually need to see it (HQ settler recruitment)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T-w2BiqmkI

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My first thought looking at the thumbnail was "wait, what is Feyd Rautha doing in Fallout?" :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I fell prey to the hype and ended up buying FO4 GOTY on sale. I played the base game back in the day, never really came back to it.

Couple years back I started (and never finished because of course) NV run with Viva New Vegas. Is The Midnight Ride the FO4 equivalent? Any other good guides/go-to mods people recommend? Like, dunno, I remember back in the day everyone in the Skyrim modding thread recommended one of two perk reworks, or something like that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I fell prey to the hype and ended up buying FO4 GOTY on sale. I played the base game back in the day, never really came back to it.

Couple years back I started (and never finished because of course) NV run with Viva New Vegas. Is The Midnight Ride the FO4 equivalent? Any other good guides/go-to mods people recommend? Like, dunno, I remember back in the day everyone in the Skyrim modding thread recommended one of two perk reworks, or something like that.

That's fine. The most important difference from a modding perspective (compared to New Vegas) is that there's no jsawyer equivalent, ie a mod created directly by a developer that overhauls much of the game to make it better and as part of that mandates survival mode.

There ARE good survival mode overhauls for Fallout 4, but they're not mandatory in the same way that jsawyer was (and Fallout 4's survival mode works better by default).

The other big category of mods for Fallout 4 is settlement and building stuff. There's really no way to tell whether you're going to enjoy that before you play the game, and when you do play the game, some factions are big on it (the Minutemen) and some pretty much don't care (the Railroad).

The Midnight Ride list you linked there doesn't include any major overhauls to either survival or settlement building (just minor QoL fixes to both), so if you get into the game and go "no, I want this harder in terms of survival style" or "no, I want to build the largest and coolest places I can" you might want to pivot to a different list that matches those preferences. But for a first time if neither of those are really important to you, that looks fine.

If you want a Wabbajack list instead, I highly recommend Welcome to Paradise for a first time run, that's how I played the game and it was rock-solid and stable through the entire base game, plot DLCs, etc. It does recommend buying one (1) creation club item, a backpack. (that's paid DLC not included in the GOTY version)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sim Settlements (now SS2) is a big bunch of settlement building mechanics stuff but it's also a gigantic assortment of very high quality quest content with very polished, professional voice acting. It's very much its own thing but you should check it out, it's got some great stuff in it.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/73394

People have hacked a very functional dodge roll into FO4 and it makes combat immensely more fun:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70647
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70757

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks a bunch. I'm not a huge building stuff guy but the story stuff from sim settlements sounds neat so I may get that.

For now I'll grab base TMR and a few of the 'extended' mods and start tweaking from there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks a bunch. I'm not a huge building stuff guy but the story stuff from sim settlements sounds neat so I may get that.

For now I'll grab base TMR and a few of the 'extended' mods and start tweaking from there.
Good news: Sim Settlements lets you have other people do building. You just go "make a building of X type here" and then the settlers actually handle it. Or you can turn an entire settlement over to a mayor and give them a building plan and forget about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah you can simply turn on a city plan for a particular settlement and your settlers will just build literally everything, you don't have to actually place much of anything except for a starter item here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah you can simply turn on a city plan for a particular settlement and your settlers will just build literally everything, you don't have to actually place much of anything except for a starter item here and there.
You can also just build "a house" , or "a shop" "a resource production facility", etc, if you want more control (and for things to go faster than it seems to with full city plans) without having to build floors, walls, doors, beds, etc etc. Or if it's a modded location without a city plan for it.