Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What do the mayors even do? I have 3 run by mayors and the rest just with me selecting a city plan instead of a mayor, and I can't say I can see any difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
are they not required any more? I thought you had to have a mayor to enable a city plan :confused:

mayors have specific modifiers that do various things, some change specific settlement stats, some add unique guards (Hubert adds a handful of Children of Atom guards for free e.g.)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ngl, watching the playthrough of someone playing through Horizon, I think the system they have is significantly better than sim settlements.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

ngl, watching the playthrough of someone playing through Horizon, I think the system they have is significantly better than sim settlements.

it is. the only thing sim settlements really has going for it is the "select city plan and as you wander through occasionally the town is built up" part, the settlements themselves seem remarkably useless since all of the plots just generate materials to power the plots, *I* don't seem to get much out of it.

It's just too bad it's attached to the rest of Horizon since they seem hellbent and making everything about playing the game as horrible as possible. "What if we added EVEN MORE DISEASE"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I would love if zawanul just ripped the horizon building system and made it a standalone. Its very much the Requiem of FO4 as is but seeing things like "concord/lexington will slowly repopulate and give you stuff later" is really tempting.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I thought the plan originally was to have the building stuff standalone but maybe not now.

In any case, horizon remains the way to go for a lot of reasons. It's got almost too many ideas put into it but still managed to avoid feeling overloaded last time I played.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Azhais posted:

it is. the only thing sim settlements really has going for it is the "select city plan and as you wander through occasionally the town is built up" part, the settlements themselves seem remarkably useless since all of the plots just generate materials to power the plots, *I* don't seem to get much out of it.

It's just too bad it's attached to the rest of Horizon since they seem hellbent and making everything about playing the game as horrible as possible. "What if we added EVEN MORE DISEASE"

interesting. yeah, all i wanted out of ss was plots that generate resources I can use, and make the settlers interact with the settlement, and it kinda was that until it just went a completely different route. mayhaps will try horizon when things settle down.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Does sim settlements 2 work without the script extender?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes. A ton of submods don't but SS2 itself does.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Azhais posted:

I mean yeah, it's a whole meta strategy game within the framework of FO4, it was never intended to change the core game mechanics, although the various plot types do produce a lot of raw material poo poo (especially food) and the trader plots are very neat, I tend to want a bunch of high tier traders in the late game anyway just to have places to unload crap/buy scrappable stuff with rare materials.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
are you talking about horizon or sim settlements 2?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SS2

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay this all sounds like ss2 is not quite what I had in mind. Thanks all

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What are the cool mods for someone playing for the first time?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does SS2 just like, gently caress with your general ability to talk to NPCs?

I'm doing The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution and I need to buy a replacement Power Relay from someone in Bunker Hill, but every time I try to talk to the NPC she just goes, "Yea?" and conversation doesn't actually initiate. I can also apparently treat her diseases even though BH isn't a Settlement :confused:

I also often find trying to talk to my NPCs at Sanctuary fucks up in a similar way, or always just attempts to Trade with the NPC :shrug:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Unless that is a very recent bug that is not a problem inherent to SS2, no.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imo just FallUI and the unofficial patch for a few hours just to get an idea what you like and don't like in the game.

Maybe something to disable the radiant quest cause I don't think I've seen anyone like them.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I'm doing The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution and I need to buy a replacement Power Relay from someone in Bunker Hill, but every time I try to talk to the NPC she just goes, "Yea?" and conversation doesn't actually initiate. I can also apparently treat her diseases even though BH isn't a Settlement :confused:

I also often find trying to talk to my NPCs at Sanctuary fucks up in a similar way, or always just attempts to Trade with the NPC :shrug:

Yeah i have similar things happen sometimes. Usually when the settler is assigned to something like a bar or other traderlike plot. Then i'd have to re-assign them to something else and talk in between or wait for them to go to bed.

For the coil you can pretty much get one anywhere :

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I remembered I had like a dozen back in my base after a few minutes :v:

https://i.imgur.com/m3tuMAe.mp4
:shrug: But yea this is what it was doing. Just so annoying.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sab669 posted:

been a very long time user of SS/SS2 and have not hat this problem except Codsworth often gets weirdly stuck (honestly not sure whether that is SS2 related though)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is my list at the moment, nothing too crazy in there. FallUI got left out of the bottom but I have that too, along with the widescreen fix.

Idgaf about settlements really so nothing related to that, and I added some stuff to expand unarmed and heavy weapons.

"Realistic" is realistic ragdolls. That one is actually one of my faves, npcs react a lot more interestingly to getting blasted.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The radiants are ignorable, I don't know why you'd bother disabling them. Just don't do it and you won't get a new one. I know some people are just hyper anal about having a clean quest list, but :shrug:

I always advocate playing vanilla a bit until you figure out what you think needs changing. Maybe just the unofficial patch, or any of the widescreen fixes depending on your rig.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

This is my list at the moment, nothing too crazy in there. FallUI got left out of the bottom but I have that too, along with the widescreen fix.

Idgaf about settlements really so nothing related to that, and I added some stuff to expand unarmed and heavy weapons.

"Realistic" is realistic ragdolls. That one is actually one of my faves, npcs react a lot more interestingly to getting blasted.

AWKCR is deprecated, feature creeped, and also just generally garbage. I'd highly recommend ditching it. Same with Armorsmith Extended.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Relyssa posted:

AWKCR is deprecated, feature creeped, and also just generally garbage. I'd highly recommend ditching it. Same with Armorsmith Extended.

Thanks, is there a recommended mod at this point for expanded clothing options?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Equipment and Crafting Overhaul (ECO) seems to be a good replacement, actively maintained etc:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67679

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Equipment and Crafting Overhaul (ECO) seems to be a good replacement, actively maintained etc:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67679

Sweet, appreciate it amigo

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Was playing LitR for a bit this morning, walked away to have a coffee and returned to find that I'm no longer able to launch the game. I get a weird error message window that says

ArmorPenetrationBugFix.dll
REL/Relocation.h(600) failed to open:
Data/F4SE/Plugins/version-1-10-163-0.bin

Googling tells me to install an address mod thing but even after I replaced the file it suggested in the referenced location it didn't fix it. I'm completely new to Wabbajack installed stuff and have no actual idea what I'm doing, if you couldn't tell. Any ideas? I'm redownloading LitR to see if that fixes it in the meantime.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sab669 posted:

Yea I remembered I had like a dozen back in my base after a few minutes :v:

https://i.imgur.com/m3tuMAe.mp4
:shrug: But yea this is what it was doing. Just so annoying.

I don't think this is a bug at all, I think it's just nighttime. Shops generally open only during the day, with a couple of exceptions - Diamond City Surplus has a robot to keep it going 24/7 and most bartenders are open after normal work hours end but they do close in the wee hours of the morning. She'd be over at a counter in the visitor center next to the obelisk if she was open for business.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14964 Nexus Premium is going up in price.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, does it still do that in the morning? or after waiting in general?

I thought you were talking about an issue I hit on occasion where an incorrect dialogue starts infecting everything. The first time I tried SS2 I installed the only wabbajack list that had the SS2 tag, namely Parabellum. Parabellum includes a lite version of the loverslab stuff and even the author was like "People tell me I'm insane to combine two script heavy mods!", and I got most of the way through chapter 1 before it broke. Every single NPC would just say "Still there?" like the "you haven't said anything in a while" cue, then dump up 4 chat options that I'm reasonably sure was some random dialogue in the middle of no-nose's big dig introduction.

And I do mean every NPC, even ones that normally wouldn't chat. As well as anything else with dialogue, like interacting with Jake's radio.

Flowing Thot posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14964 Nexus Premium is going up in price.

and people told me I was dumb when I spent $50 (100?) on a lifetime premium back in 2014

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I paid 60 USD in 2016 so it probably wasn't 100 in 2014.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They should've done it just before the show aired. Probably missed out on a ton of money.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Glazius posted:

I don't think this is a bug at all, I think it's just nighttime. Shops generally open only during the day, with a couple of exceptions - Diamond City Surplus has a robot to keep it going 24/7 and most bartenders are open after normal work hours end but they do close in the wee hours of the morning. She'd be over at a counter in the visitor center next to the obelisk if she was open for business.

It's a bug im pretty sure because you can wake up people from their beds to turn in quests in vanilla.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

boneration posted:

Was playing LitR for a bit this morning, walked away to have a coffee and returned to find that I'm no longer able to launch the game. I get a weird error message window that says

ArmorPenetrationBugFix.dll
REL/Relocation.h(600) failed to open:
Data/F4SE/Plugins/version-1-10-163-0.bin

Googling tells me to install an address mod thing but even after I replaced the file it suggested in the referenced location it didn't fix it. I'm completely new to Wabbajack installed stuff and have no actual idea what I'm doing, if you couldn't tell. Any ideas? I'm redownloading LitR to see if that fixes it in the meantime.

First thing im thinking is Steam sneakily updated your Fallout install with the latest patch.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks, is there a recommended mod at this point for expanded clothing options?

ECO redux and NEO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
F4SE got updated, so hopefully a bunch of the mods follow soon.

Edit: Ah, dang okay. Well, I'm still not up to date with the new patch so I should be fine rolling along for now until I can update.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 1, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The update of F4SE is meant for developers to test their mods against and not for end users, so I wouldn't rush out to grab it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Life in the Ruins has been updated to work with Next-Gen, which is to say it has a downgrader now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Life in the Ruins features a combat/lethality mod integrated, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I made Loads of Ammo - Switchable Ammo Types like 8 years ago. Anyone using it and found the update broke it? Need to know if I should go back and fix it.