Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I'm playing using Horizon and I'm having trouble. Where do you get the different alloys? How do you get higher grades of them? Why don't console commands for Horizon items work?

The alloys mostly come from loot off legendary enemies, as I recall. I think there's also a way to make the lower tier alloys if you get really deep in the settlement crafting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Any jsawyer style rebalances for FO4?

There's Horizon, which is mostly a rebalance for survival mode, and probably not for everyone.

Things I liked:
It's standalone. No huge mod list to try to get working!
Economic overhaul: It actually makes building stuff feel useful. For example, Survival mode normally means you can't quicksave, but Horizon let's you build a (fairly cheap) consumable to quicksave. Food, water, and sleep no longer heal, but you can produce various first aid consumables from the start, so cloth and antiseptic actually feel useful to find. There was basically no resource that felt useless and I pretty much always went back to base excited about what I could do with the stuff I found. And caps were useful and mainly came from quests - no more ending up with tens of thousands of caps by midgame like I do in every other Fallout game.
Perks feel useful/are rebalanced: Pretty much every perk feels useful, and some that were too useful have alternatives now (Like you can build auto-hackers or explosive charges with the right resources and perks, so hacking and lockpicking are no longer essential picks).
Settlements feel useful. They don't substitute for actual salvaging until the absolute lategame, if then, but you can fairly quickly get them producing useful stuff to help you. The quests to unlock new settlements are often a big deal because you can, with work, turn them into a steady flow of useful stuff.

Things I didn't like:
It's buggy: I didn't hit any crippling bugs but did have some crashes, plus some bug where I'd completely lose the ability to interact with the world without a restart (and considering in survival you interact with a bed to save, that was annoying).
The difficulty was inconsistent: The early game was brutally hard, and several times I felt on the ledge of my game being so wrecked (out of bullets, food, etc, for instance) I'd have to start over. But by mid-game things were feeling ridiculously easy, in no small part due to the cumulative effect of every perk feeling like a big bonus, and several of the crafting/townbuilding choices being basically "Pay x resources now and get .1x resources every day for the rest of the game" type choices.
It was just overcomplicated: It really feels like a mod where the author just kept adding new things because he could. There's a wiki for this game, and I was having to constantly look it up to understand the city building, and I was still confused because there's things like 3-4 completely independent systems for how settlements produce things for you. Overall it felt like adding complication for the sake of complication and it just drained the fun out of it, or maybe the author coming back every few months and deciding "I didn't like how I did it last time, I'll leave it in but do something completely different for this new feature!".

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 3, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

Okay I'm trying Horizon and while I AM enjoying it so far, is combat supposed to be this hard? :shepface: I cant even one shot a mole rat with a machete at 8 strength, and I'm getting messed up by bloat flies. I cant even imagine what desolation mode must be like

I think I lucked out in my run, since I found an electrified baton early on that made things much easier (until I accidentally scrapped it). But yeah, combat started very hard and got easier, I suggest letting Dogmeat be your tank as much as possible and ducking in to smash things when they're distracted.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

We've gotten into a good pattern where he goes up and grabs their leg, then I sprint out and cleave their head off with a machete like Pamela Voorhees. I'm almost at level five and I can finally use VANS to get myself some perks that result in me getting food from animals :froggonk: I'm so hungry and SO irradiated.

Water was actually my big issue, I ended up pretty frequently forced to drink dirty water and then deal with the radiation/disease risk. As far as radiation, some of the crafting stations can give you some relatively low cost medicines that reduce your radiation at the cost of fatigue/a debuff - usually I'd wait until I was tired/wanted to sleep, gobble one down and watch my rads drop a bit and the debuff to go away (a good time for working on crafting/settlement building), and then use a bed. They add a lot of fatigue, so you don't want to chug them or take them when you aren't going to sleep anyways.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 4, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been craving a nice post-apoc scavenger shootmans experience lately, so I finally got around to picking this game up. Are there any "must have" mods for someone not wanting to get too deep into mods but wants to have a good Survival-mode play of FO4?

I'd suggest at the very least getting some mod that lets you quicksave in survival. Maybe something that prevents diseases as well unless you really want a hardcore experience.

I can only picture some dev saying "they want unforgiving? I'll show them unforgiving!" before cackling while making survival mode, because they decided to add such things as being unable to save without a bed and also things like eating or sleeping having a chance to give you debilitating and hard to remove permanent debuffs.

Oh, and as a general rule for any FO4 playthrough I recommend a mod that removes the godawful dialog selection. For FO4 they apparently decided to just give summaries of what you're selecting, like "agree" or "(sarcastic)" that are often almost completely unrelated to what the choice will make your character actually say, to the point where you sometimes randomly end up threatening to kill whoever you're talking to by accident, so people immediately modded it to actually just have what dialog line you're going to say as the choice. Here's an example (vanilla choices on the left), it can be completely immersion breaking. If you end up using a modpack they pretty much all include this by default.

Danaru posted:

I'm still pretty new with it too, but Horizon is thick as poo poo with harsher mechanics. It legit feels closer to a STALKER game when you're creeping through a bunker with a knife and a shotgun with one shell left.

This, but on the other hand it does soften some of the most unfun vanilla survival mechanics, like no quicksaves or respawn on death, which killed my first attempt at vanilla survival so very quickly. I enjoy it, but it's probably a rough start for a new player with all the new and hard to understand mechanics.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2021

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like the idea of no quick save, but in practice the game is not stable enough when modded for it to be a good idea. Losing progress because you made mistakes and died is fine, losing progress because the game randomly crashed on you not so much.

Personally, I like survival mode in the sense of having to count my bullets and put effort into food and water, but not so much the "lose an hour of progress because a bandit got lucky with a molotov" bit. Hence why I think the ability to do at least the occasional save is essential to my enjoyment.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

Also Survival Options because saving your game shouldn't give you a chance for a debilitating health-draining disease that's expensive to cure (when you get it early on). I also don't trust a Bethesda game + pile of mods to be stable enough that I don't need to save all the time.

I don't know if it's Horizon or a vanilla feature, but looking at a bed in my game gives an option to sleep but also an option to save. Just using it to save doesn't have the disease risk (or increment your hunger and thirst by 6ish hours).

I still like the consumable quicksave item from Horizon just because there's not always a bed around when you need it and agree completely with what you said about stability.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Proletarian Mango posted:

It's not dead, in fact activity is ramping up now that the team has adjusted to Covid. Like others just said they released a big update a few days ago and before that the updates weren't any more infrequent than say openmw

Thank you for keeping my dream alive. So many modern games and what I really want is FNV in an updated engine.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Does anyone have any experience with Fallout 4 Enhanced Edition? I was thinking about reinstalling and am a bit torn between trying to get back into my old Horizon game or starting again with Enhanced Edition. Magnum Opus/Sim Settlements sound good too but I was craving a more survival/crafting based experience.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there a mod pack that basically turns off the main quest and settlement building entirely, and turns the game into a survival-horror kinda thing like where you gotta do delving into ruins to find bits to improve your little hideout? And more valuable items are in more dangerous items?

Saw this video last night and it really pinged that part of my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLYDcEM8e9Q

I don't know if it's what you want (because I haven't played it) but you might look into a mod called Frost.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

Is there a wabbajack modlist with the newest horizon?

FO4: Enhanced Edition uses Horizon but I don't know if it's updated yet.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Leal posted:

I'm giving Horizon a try, it looks interesting. Do I get the same materials scrapping the gear on corpses or should I make an effort to bring stuff back to a settlement and breaking them down in a workstation?

Also I'm feeling punked cause you need all this stuff to cook food and I think I'm smart and try checking for the mutfruits behind the house in sanctuary, checking out abernathy farm, going to the super duper mart for the melons and either the crops aren't bearing any fruit or things are just removed

I don't know if field salvaging gives exactly the same results as salvaging at a work bench, but for the sake of your sanity I suggest just doing the field salvaging. If you're the kind of person that would be bothered by the inefficiency, like me, just assume you get full salvage (like me).

Horizon makes harvesting crops have like a 2/3rd chance to give low value compostable stuff (IIRC) and a 1/3rd chance to give the actual crop, since I guess they felt manually harvesting all the stuff was both overpowered and incentivizing a really boring mechanic. In exchange they have new crop row items that you can place in settlements that aren't manually harvestable but produce (IIRC) double the food value when worked by settlers. You can also use a farming station or whatever (it's been awhile) to slowly convert wild mutfruit/melons/whatever into the standard crop.

Honestly, though, most crops on their own don't work well for producing food/water in Horizon. At best, as I recall, you get options that let you use what you have more efficiently; ie a recipe that uses meat + crop and gives a better food than the meat alone, or IIRC melon water is melon + purified water but hydrates better than water alone.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Any recommendations for Survival Mode mods relating to how Saving works?

I see that "Sleep or Save" mod in the OP which is a mild QOL improvement, but man the limitations on saving just make the game too un-fun. Spend 15 minutes walking somewhere and then accidentally die. Cool I guess! Like I don't care if it's just a short timer on how frequently you can F5, or if it re-enables Saving when you Enter/Exit a Building or whatever.

I remember downloading a mod that added an item to your inventory that made a save at some point (and so of course I just favorited it), but my last few playthroughs were Horizon that adds that functionality automatically so I can't point you at it, sorry.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Just bought this - is jumping into Horizon ok or not advised?

For someone that's never played FO4? I probably wouldn't recommend it, but if Horizon is the experience you're really looking for you could try it. You'd probably want to check youtube for a quickstart guide.

Just to elaborate a bit, FO4 vanilla is the standard Bethesda experience; run around, do quests, accumulate loot, game isn't too hard. Horizon is a more modded, survival and crafting based experience; food and water are issues, resources are scarce, you have to scavenge junk and build your own necessities like bandages and improvised weapons. I really enjoy Horizon but it's a very different game, not an enhancement to the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Ahhh ok. I had played ages ago and just got through jsawyer Ultimate edition New Vegas mod over vacation so figured that Horizon was similar for 4.

The lethality/lack of bullet sponges made it really appealing but I assume the same effect could be done with the Custom Difficulty Tweaker mod?

Gotcha. And don't misunderstand, Horizon is my favored way to play FO4 these days, I just acknowledge that it's such a massive gameplay overhaul it borders on a genre switcher.

There might be a jsawyer equivalent for FO4 but I'm afraid I don't know it, maybe someone else will chime in.