Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Or support non-16:9 resolutions natively, or not run like poo poo, or just basically work on making the game... function instead of throwing up their hands and saying "MODS WILL FIX IT".

This right here.

I've got an old-ish video card (nVidia GTX 750) and I've long since resigned myself to playing Fallout 4 at a lower-than-native resolution and low graphics settings. Pretty much everything set to low or turned off, and the game ran pretty smoothly at around 50 FPS (or lower, depending on activity in the game). Looked like poo poo, but it wasn't the laggy sideshow I got right out of the box.

Today I on a whim I decided to look up what settings other people use with my same card, and found a handful of posts on other forums that can be summed up as follows: Play at the highest res (1920x1080 in my case) you can, crank up everything to ultra, turn off ambient/rainfall occlusion and godrays, and set shadows to medium. Somehow I'm getting between 40 and 45 fps, the game looks better than I've ever seen it, and with a pretty small performance hit.

The game being rife with badly programmed and horribly optimized bits doesn't particularly surprise me at this point, especially since I've been following turn off the tv's posts in this thread, but such a small performance hit for a ridiculous jump in quality just baffles me :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
+1 to Far Harbor being worth every penny. Even the silly side stuff (Robot Murder Mystery comes to mind) is super interesting and far more engaging than anything in the main game.

But Nuka-World is worth the price of admission alone just for the sake of hearing President Gravey get super pissed off about you siding with raiders.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really wish there was a build of VIS-G that didn't have all the really dumb technical names appended onto all the guns. This poo poo:

etc.

It's just gratuitous word vomit. I don't need models and brand names plastered all over the inventory screen for immersion.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Preston Waters posted:

Your custom weapons are working with VIS-G?

wtf am I doing wrong?

Those aren't my screenshots, just ones taken off the mod's page.

They also aren't custom weapons afaik, they're dumb names given to the in-game weapons probably because the default names aren't immersive enough or whatever :jerkbag:

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

I feel like every time I start putting together a mod build I run into armorsmith/weaponsmith and the 5 different mutually exclusive keyword mods and immediately lose all interest

I'm in a similar boat. Everytime I start figuring out mods I remember that the only decent item sorting mod that's updated at all anymore is VIS-G, which changes the names of all the weapons for the sake of 'immersion'. It's dumb and I hate it. 99% of the time I just want to kill things, loot stuff, and build, I don't that the weapon has a name that's 'historically accurate' or whatever.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

and I think she also has Far Harbor stuff as well.

She absolutely does. Provided her affinity is high enough, you can give her your dead spouse's ring and get married, then spend your honeymoon at various Far Harbor locales.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySlippers posted:

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start.

Having installed MO myself and having spent some time on the creator's discord, the overwhelming majority of people who complain about it being a buggy mess are the ones who didn't follow the directions or read any associated readmes.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Wabbajack modlists are back up, so I've started downloading Magnum Opus.

There's 771 mods, and manually, I've downloaded about 30 so far, all of which are only like 1KB. :pwn:

Once I've got them all downloaded, would I just create a new instance in MO2 and pick the folder where I installed everything?

You don't even have to do that. It'll set up it's own portable instance of MO to use.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just install and go. Wabbajack works by effectively copy/pasting someone else's mod setup/configuration to your computer. Make sure you read the readme that's included with the list, it'll answer a lot of questions you might have. You can also jump in the list creator's discord, where there are a lot of people experienced with modding and installing wabbajack lists and can help you if you run into issues. The creator and staff for Magnum Opus in particular are pretty helpful. They'll even help if you want to add or change mods that are included, but you'll have to be willing to do some legwork and learn how to get things to play nicely, not just jump in and go "hi can someone tell me how to add [mod]?" and get mad when no one is willing to walk you through something step by step.

Absolutely do not run LOOT afterwards. There are a ton of small patches and tweaks in Magnum Opus to make everything run smoothly and as stable as possible, and LOOT will completely gently caress that up.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The author of the Magnum Opus list has a really good set of tutorials for dipping your toes in the water and getting started with modding.

https://github.com/LivelyDismay/Learn-To-Mod/wiki

It's an intro to how MO works, how to do basic stuff in xedit, the creation kit, etc. Additionally, his discord has a whole bunch of people who are really experienced with modding FO4/Skyrim and are usually super helpful if you have questions.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Why in the gently caress does Magnum Opus make Brotherhood power armor have a special paint job that I can't seem to craft that makes it much, much stronger as armor? Like a T60d I've, uh, rescued after the owner had to leave it behind has better armor than the corresponding pieces of X-01 I've found at max upgrade.

If you want Brotherhood power armor, maybe you should join the Brotherhood.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr.Smasher posted:

The only mods I switch in and out of Bethesda games are clothing or weapons. It shouldn't break the game to add armor or a sword or gun or whatever... shouldn't, anyway.

That depends. If the items are being injected into leveled lists (so they can appear as random/enemy loot), then yes, adding them midgame can absolutely gently caress with things. If you're adding things midgame that just have a static spawn point and don't appear anywhere else, you're generally fine AS LONG AS there aren't any other mods touching that same area.

Under no circumstances should you be removing mods then loading saves without them. As mentioned above, this is leaving orphaned entries in your save that will, at some point, completely break the game.

Bethesda games are actually remarkably good at just trucking along when potentially game-breaking errors happen but then catastrophically breaking later on. There was a long-standing bug with settlements where deleting items connected by power lines would remove the items but the power lines would remain in some sort of weird limbo. The player couldn't see them or interact with them, and for all intents and purposes they didn't exist, but eventually enough would build up in the game engine that the game would get incredibly unstable and most likely crash whenever getting even remotely near the settlement.

It's kind of like going "oh hey, my stomach hurts" and instead of going to the doctor, you just ignore it as it gets worse and worse until suddenly you're in the ICU because you had a small hole in your stomach lining and now you're septic and dying.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :eyepop:

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most Wabbajack lists will just use their own portable instance of MO2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Storywealth is a goddamn mess, literally a giant pile of quest mods thrown together without any regards for how well they play with each other. The collection author has made no attempt to resolve any conflicts or patch out any issues or bugs that may result.

I'm personally a fan of Magnum Opus. There's a heaping pile of new content, quests, locations, items, etc. and the modlist author has done an incredible amount of work making sure everything plays nicely. The result is a list that is rock-solid stable. I've played the most recent iteration of Magnum Opus for about 80 hours now, and I've had a grand total of 3 crashes.