Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I got the floor bug with the Castle and I don't have Scrap Everything. Happens in Covenant, too. There was a point where I was able to place things inside the Castle, but I can't move them now or add anything new. I've tried hunting around for the source of the problem but every thread I've seen in help forums has involved mods I don't have installed. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Where are you changing the inis? In the main game files or from MO's ini tool (and overriding inis)?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I wanted to try Sim Settlements and a few decor mods out and a week later I've fallen down a Fallout building hole again. I had a lot of fun building myself a tiny house inside my Red Rocket brutalist megafortress, albeit one with a throne on top:

I wanted to see how much I could squeeze into about two rooms and it turns out, quite a lot. This is looking through the front door:

On one side at the back, there's a bathroom and a porch with a bathtub on it (which can't quite be seen here):

And on the other, itty bitty kitchen and table, plus the bedroom:

I just realized my mannequin is floating off the floor a little. D'oh.

And the bathtub nook, luxuriously situated in the fresh air but safe from prying eyes:

Right now it's my favorite settlement. Something about that rocket just makes me smile.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Halser posted:

Anyway, I haven't played FO4 in a while, but is there a mod to make holotapes and notes have their own god drat section already?

Item sorting mods like Valdacil's plus Def_Inv will do this for you. Maybe just the sorter alone, I don't know. If you get Rename Everything, you can add the sorting keywords to anything that doesn't automatically get picked up (I do this with all settings tapes added by mods for example). Sorry for a dearth of links here, I'm on mobile, but all three of those are on Nexus.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

You know, I fully realize the folly of trying to fix bugs probably introduced by a mod with a mod, but I had issues with recruitment beacons not attracting settlers to a few very special settlements, and, well...

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27979/

Spawn Settler Button. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah, Horizon does not sound at all like my jam--though I'm glad it's there for those of you who are super into that kind of thing--but I am eagerly awaiting the standalone version of Architect, weirdly enough. I love messing around with Sim Settlements and I just want to give Architect a spin and see how it goes. Too bad there's really no polite way to barge into a mod thread and say "I don't actually wanna play your main mod but what's the ETA on this other thing you're making being its own thing" because I'd love to know how it's progressing...

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Somebody wayyyyyy back asked why this game would have a shotgun at all as a combat weapon? I don't know but I suspect it's because of World War I and the Trench Broom aka the Winchester 1897 which, historically, let you do poo poo like slam fire*, which would be awesome if they ever let you do it in this game. As it is...get a mod to let you add the legendary of your choice to a weapon, make a shotgun with wounding, and let that be your mirelurk gun, because holy loving poo poo does that kill crabs with a quickness.

*so for people who aren't obsessed with guns**, slam firing is a quirk of some circa 1900 guns wherein the firing pin wasn't attached to anything on the rest of the gun is my basic understanding, meaning you could hold down the trigger and keep pumping a shotgun and it would fire every time the pump came back and hit the body of the gun...meaning a shotgun would fire every time you pumped that pump back. You could fire it obscenely fast by the standards of 1918, basically, just holding down the trigger and whipping the pump back over and over and over. This poo poo was the Terminator of the Trench, in other words. At one point, Germany tried to get American shotguns banned at the international court of the Hague as weapons of rear end destruction which in retrospect I guess is kind of funny? (It didn't work)

Why is it in a neo-futurist game about an alternate nuclear post-ww2? I dunno, it looks cool? I...got nothing else. Basically there was a point in American warfare way back yonder when shotguns were part of the bleeding edge of how Americans fought and it was awesome, but it was...well...way back

**I'm not obsessed with guns, slam firing just looks fuckin' cool and I have now outed myself as a total redneck

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 31, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

How stable is the latest release of MO2, and where can I find it?

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer

I'm not qualified to say how stable it is, but I've been using this with both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 with no problems.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I like that now I'm structuring my game choices around getting to companions so I can have more mayors available to activate additional settlements. Have to pick up Cait to run the drive-in and Strong for Zamonja.

I sent Marcy to Sunshine Tidings. :laugh:

If you don't mind modding this to be a bit easier (who knows, maybe you like the challenge of doing this with only companions), there are tons of mods that add more potential mayors. I'm running two that have been great, minimally intrusive additions that I definitely recommend if you just wanna go whole hog and build everything:

Ted's Leaders Pack makes pre-existing named NPCs at some of the settlements mayor-ready (like Connie Abernathy or Roger Warwick). Great way to work the characters who are already in the game into Sim Settlements. Sturges is my Sanctuary bro :D

Recruitable Leaders adds about 3 dozen folks that you can recruit for your settlements to be mayors (and some provide bonuses as well). They add a lot of fun flavor to settlements, too--I recruited a synth to run a settlement and last time I checked in on it, I had a couple gen-1s and a courser patrolling. Neato.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a different leader mod, and like you I made Sturges the leader for Sanctuary. I'm saving Codsworth for Graygarden.

I did that in an earlier playthrough before some of the kinks were worked out, and he bugged hard. I made Supervisor White my leader there this time around because she is a boss-rear end robobitch, and Cods is in charge of Somerville Place where he does a right cracking job, if I do say.

Also if you do more than one Mayor mod you might end up with the same NPC being listed multiple times in your list with different attributes, which is hilarious and good.

Edit edit: because I have a surplus of other mayors, I think pretty hard about where my companions will go, flavor-wise. Preston obviously leads the Castle, aka Preston's Fortress of Shame, and I just put Piper in charge of Hangman's Alley because I feel like it's fitting for her to be super close to Diamond City but in a presumably super gossipy trading hub (which is what Sim Settlements turns it into). I'm gonna make an awesome vacation spot on Spectacle Island and let Hancock run it, and MacCready can get exiled to the whiny rear end in a top hat settlement of my choice. Nick's always gonna ride with me once I grind out affection on everyone else so he doesn't get banished. I'll probably put Cait somewhere appropriately temptation-free. Curie, Deke, and Strong are always kind of tossups for me. Etc. etc. etc.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh gosh, I forgot that with the mod I changed my strategy: companions are saved for places without a resident leader, like the drive in, Zamonja, Sunshine, etc. Makes sense to me to let Abernathy, Tenpines et al. run their own settlement.

Basically Sim Settlements is the settlement functionality we should have had in the base game, that's how good it is, and how well it flows with what's already there.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

A lot of the settlements, at city level 2 or 3, will build you the player a sweet little apartment. That was the case at Greygarden (top of the overpass) and ST Coop, and a few others that escape my mind. Your apartment always has a bed marked YOUR BED and usually storage.

Thanks to whoever recommended the logistics station! I jammed one into every settlement I have so far and it's completely fixed my issues with vanishing supply lines.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Sim Settlements in my experience sometimes fucks up and has to be refreshed from the city desktop. If you can get to it--mouse over the actual desktop, and run your mouse down past the normal stuff on the kind of desktoppy desktop stuff (manage city) to "refresh city." If you can't, build another desktop somewhere you can reach (this just sometimes happens in my experience, I have kind of a potato CPU and I have to do it in basically 100% of cities every time there's a city upgrade which is a super pain in the rear end, but once it's finished, works great). (basically you do have to just hang out in said village until the script is done a'runnin, but then you get a popup on your screen that says CITY REFRESHED so just...idk, go listen to a podcast or read a book or something while you wait)

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 14, 2018

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not even sure how to google this? I have bat files to add specific gear loadouts to some kinds of settlers (like guards and provisioners) and they used to work, but lately, every time I zone into a settlement, everyone's wearing the same poo poo they started with. I don't know if this is Better Settlers acting up, or equipitem no longer working the way it used to, but is there a foolproof way to slap a gear set on a settler and have it stick?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I'll try it, thanks.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

If you're willing to go the Creation Club route and pay for content, I got the Charlestown Condo a few years back on a whim and it's really solid as a player home. Central location, multiple furnished floors you can leave or scrap, tons of room on the 2nd floor to build any crafting/display/storage you might want, nifty diner on the entrance. I like sending companions I'm done with there. There's a key quest to get in, but it's blessedly short.

Another possibility is one of several mods that add bunkers and interiors to existing settlements or combat areas. Basement Living, Commonwealth Express Courier Stations, any of Elianora's house mods, Aloot's Home Plate, any of RedRocketTV's Better Homes & Bunkers mods. I mean there's tons of stuff out there, but those are player houses I've tried and liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

I've found a combination of using the stability fixes & precombines in The Midnight Ride and only ever fast-traveling to *one* settlement in the triangle works really well for stability, and then just hike from that one to the other two on foot. I've got sim settlements in all three even. Eh, mileage will vary.