Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey dumb question, just reinstalled this game. How do I actually equip power armor?

I'm doing the Nuka-World DLC, just got the Overboss set. Every time I try to equip it, it says I must be in Power Armor. If I go to a Power Armor crafting bench, I can't equip the items in my inventory either, nor does Transfering them to the bench seem to "place" it in the world for me to step into it like the beginning of the game with the Minutemen quest either. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I don't know what :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess I must not :thunk:

e; like what is a frame? I finally just found another suit out in the world and it doesn't have a frame on it?

Oh well, jokes on me because I don't even remember where I dumped the Overboss gear last night :downs:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 4, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Take all those pieces off, what's left afterwards is the frame.

Mygna posted:

Power Armour in F4 is not a regular armour you equip from your inventory, it's more like a vehicle sitting out in the worldspace that you have your character enter into by activating it. The armour pieces you are talking about are supposed to be put into the frame container's inventory to customize it.

Thanks. Yea I remembered it was vaguely like a "portable container" of sorts but I couldn't think of how to describe it / figure out what piece of the "puzzle" I was missing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does the major community patch actually not work if I don't own all the DLC? They're listed as Requirements.

The TV series made me reinstall FO4 and the base game crashes 100% of the time just running from the House to the Vault after character creation :sigh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah thanks; I thought I did read around a bit but I don't use NexusMods much so I don't see where that is.

Actually I apparently do own the DLC, though I have zero recollection of when or why I'd have bought them. But I already uninstalled the game and the desire has passed lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any recommendations for Survival Mode mods relating to how Saving works?

I see that "Sleep or Save" mod in the OP which is a mild QOL improvement, but man the limitations on saving just make the game too un-fun. Spend 15 minutes walking somewhere and then accidentally die. Cool I guess! Like I don't care if it's just a short timer on how frequently you can F5, or if it re-enables Saving when you Enter/Exit a Building or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't have it in front of me but I do use a mod that enables saving whenever you want in Survival. Turns on fast travel too if you want it.

Survival Mode Tweaks maybe? I can look when I get home. Worked for vanilla survival and Horizon.

I'd be curious to know for sure, thanks. I did find something that also has a Craftable/Consumable Save-On-Demand thing, but Fast Travel between Settlements would be good too. Don't necessarily need/want full blown Fast Travel from any 2 arbitrary points but I guess it wouldn't be the worst to have it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sweet, thanks.

Not sure if I'll force myself to abide by a "Only fast travel between Settlements" rule, but the native Save/Travel restrictions really don't make the game harder, just un-fun.

I downloaded Survival Saving which lets you find blank Holotapes throughout the world to consume in order to trigger a Save, and then this other addon that lets you craft those Holotapes instead of needing to find them, but I'm early on in this playthrough and don't have the resources to Craft the Station yet never mind the tapes. And can't find a list of locations to find the tapes in...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wabbajack seems to have gotten hung up after it "Finished downloading <big rear end texture pack>". Not sure how long it's been like that, 15+ minutes probably, and hasn't moved on to the next download. Is it safe to close & restart Wabbajack like it is?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 13, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well that's a relief :toot:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had to restart it twice but it's working now, Installing poo poo.

The TV show made me wanna play this dumb game again big time :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

So the upcoming 'next gen update' is probably gonna break everything right? I just finished installing TMR a couple weeks ago :v:

For sure gonna break all the mods

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK just getting around to playing the game after downloading / installing everything via Wabbajack. Got out of the vault and looked at the Perk chart on my pip boy... And it seems like I'm running vanilla rear end Fallout 4.

I don't need to install the Script Extender or launch the game via Mod Organizer 2 or anything, do I? I thought the whole point of Wabbajack was that it does all this for me 🙃

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

What executable did you click on lmao.

I'm not sure what you're asking. There doesn't seem to be any way to launch Fallout from within Wabbajack, right? So I just launched it from Steam :shrug:

e; DERP oh I see, run the Mod Organizer from within the Install folder I targeted with Wabbajack

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's basically an automated tool that can pull down predefined lists of mods and automatically install them all to a private little folder & Mod Organizer instance. Then when ask the scripts finish you just launch the MO executable from where you installed it all to and it'll have everything in the right order.

No more needing to download everything from Nexus Mods and slap it all together in MO yourself.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wishing I built my Life In The Ruins character way differently. STR & CHA seems like it'd be fun. Bullets are so scarce, so being good at hitting poo poo seems nice. And I like the CHA skill that gives you defense bonuses while not wearing armor. I always want to use all the Nice Suits & Dresses and Hats and whatnot that give stat bonuses, but because equipping items in Bethesda games is a total chore I'm never going to swap between "Sets" in a regular playthrough.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gotta say, this is a really nice hand from I'm the True Perks mod:

Though it's really funny having everyone be like "Synths!!!" and no one reacting to me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I went with "Life in the Ruins" as it seemed the easiest to install / configure from Wabbajack :v:

I'm like level 16 and enjoying it quite a bit. Most of the new Perks are cool, resources do feel pretty scarce so my HP is often lower than I'd like. I did end up re-rolling to make a higher STR character so I could more effectively use Melee and depend less on ammo, but even so can't always depend on hittin' poo poo.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it certainly triggered me and a few others ITT to reinstall. Although after a week of playing its really started to loosen its grip on me this weekend.
Constantly having to go into my menus to eat food during fights is getting tiring.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

well when you have the fabulously attractive star of the show talking about playing the game itself that's kind of a pretty good advertisement

Huh?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No way they knew it'd be so popular. How many years has the show been in the making? Can they even produce a game as fast as Amazon can produce a show?

Starfield just came out like half a year ago (lol)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/Sj5x9HF.mp4

:thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Your healthbar is cut into thirds, not quarters, but yea you've got the idea.

Overall I'm really enjoying LITR, though I swapped to a STR/END build from... whatever I made the first time because ammo felt too scarce. But now I'm pretty flush with Caps from not needing to buy Ammo, so I feel like I'm mostly able to buy plenty of Stimpacks / Medpacks. I have been a bit more reserved using them than in normal Fallout, and I guess if I started to ease up on that maybe I'd find myself running out quickly -- but overall it does feel better balanced than vanilla.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does SS2 just like, gently caress with your general ability to talk to NPCs?

I'm doing The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution and I need to buy a replacement Power Relay from someone in Bunker Hill, but every time I try to talk to the NPC she just goes, "Yea?" and conversation doesn't actually initiate. I can also apparently treat her diseases even though BH isn't a Settlement :confused:

I also often find trying to talk to my NPCs at Sanctuary fucks up in a similar way, or always just attempts to Trade with the NPC :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I remembered I had like a dozen back in my base after a few minutes :v:

https://i.imgur.com/m3tuMAe.mp4
:shrug: But yea this is what it was doing. Just so annoying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They should've done it just before the show aired. Probably missed out on a ton of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Like, game-crashing instability, or is that some sort of in-game term? LITR does include SS2 but I haven't interacted with it 1 bit