Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
pardon my ignorance, as I'm still new at this

I tried to learn putting together some mods last night - my primary goal was to get the Horizon mod running, since the description made it seem like that was a thing I'd be interested in

I followed their instructions and managed to get everything loaded up and running properly (as far as I can tell). Specifically, I'm using Mod Organizer 2 to run the Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, HUDFramework (since Horizon recommends this), and then Horizon itself

the next thing I wanted to fix was this issue where apparently FO4 doesn't let you use keyboard+mouse if you have a controller plugged in. I searched around and apparently this is an engine bug, but one that is fixed by Buffout 4.
Buffout 4 requires the use of the Fallout Script Extender
my perusal of the readme indicates that the Script Extender uses its own executable to run FO4... but I'm already using Mod Organizer 2 to run FO4

does anyone how I could get the two to play together well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay. I managed to figure it out.

1. MO2 has an option to specify which executable should be run. I set it to the f4se loader instead of the regular fallout 4 executable
2. Addres [sic] Library and Buffout can be installed through MO2
3. xSE PluginPreloader cannot be installed through MO2, but rather its DLLs should be dropped into the main fallout 4 folder
4. there is an option in MO2 for "Use Profile Specific INI Files" that needs to be turned off. Reference: Buffout 4 installation guide

once I did that last step I was able to get mouselook going simultaneously with the controller, with Horizon loaded

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I posted this in the other Fallout thread and didn't get much of a response so : anyone familiar with Real Time Settler as a mod for FNV? Is it... good?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1779293308550058109?t=073eskVZF7G0PLN_phmcbw&s=19

Gog also does this for Daggerfall Unity, though that one is a tad more controversial because it includes a bunch of mods for Daggerfall Unity whose cohesion and compatibility is questionable. M

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is Wabbajack? I've only ever used Mod Organizer/Script Extender for modding. From the context it sounds like something to automate and streamline the process of mod management and downloads?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the responses. I feel like I'd rather get back in the [PC] game after the fallout (heh!!!) of the April 25 update has settled, but I'll keep "look into using Wabbajack for mods" under my hat for like, mid-May or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I pay for Nexus premium that money's just going to Nexus right?

Sorry for the dumb question.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think they released the update with an ulterior motive to break everyone's mods in order to drive people towards the Creation Club or whatever

they'd been promising a next-gen update for FO4 for a while, and that was the only thing they had in the pipe to promote the video game once the show was released

that it broke everything is a consequence of the game being patched at all, and the alternative was to just... not do anything, but Bethesda probably figured they had to do SOMETHING to cross-promote

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a recommendation for a UI mod for Fallout 3, particularly something that's going to arrange my items into categories so it's not just one long list of stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Sim Settlements, 1 or 2, work just from the in-game mod browser? I saw them there but I figured there had to have been some kind of catch

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of SS2: given that you build industrial plots, which can get settlers to gather junk (and the better ones building material), do they deposit that into the settlement's workshop, or is there another place to get it from? the documentation makes some kind of reference to a separate storage type but it's unclear to me

EDIT: okay I think the answer is to use the use the City Planner Desk, and then use the Transfer option to move materials from the Virtual Storage to the Workshop? Need to investigate this further.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 7, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay yeah after a closer reading of the wiki it does seem like it's not supposed to immediately feed stuff back to the player, but rather act as a sink for the player to feed into and to throttle the rate at which things can/will get constructed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm only level 7 so far and I'm mostly using SS2 as a way to very quickly and easily build out settlements to use as water and food sources (and time will tell how quickly I can get them to start putting up vendors, maybe I can do that before ever needing to get to Diamond City) but I'm already thinking about a future playthrough where you turn up the difficulty and the Sole Survivor has to be the one to run around picking up blocks of cement and stacks of wood to feed into the virtual storage so that the settlement can build itself up. it's so good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
really impressed by how well SS2 works once you get past the initial learning curve

Red Rocket is, of course, empty when you first activate it as a settlement. I gather materials from scrapping stuff all over Sanctuary to build a water pump, a recruitment beacon, and a generator in Red Rocket. Before long, I attract my first settler, and I use two ASAM sensors left over from The Stranger's tutorial to have the settler build himself a 3-bed residential plot, and a farming plot

I go off and do some questing in Concord (without completely activating Preston's questline all the way through) and come back and there's a second settler in Red Rocket - that's good, she goes off to work on the farm plot as well, and now I have 3 beds, 3 food, and 3 water but with only 2 settlers so far

following-up on The Stranger's questline, I go off and raid USAF Station Olivia - the integration of this site into SS2's progression is so seamless that I wouldn't have known it wasn't created specifically for the mod if I hadn't already done this "dungeon" once before in vanilla

when I come back, there's now a third settler in Red Rocket. The farm plot can support three people working on it, but looking at the workshop HUD, I can see that the settlement's virtual storage has zero caps and zero scrap, so I figure I should put down an industrial plot. I plunk one down, but I notice that it's not getting constructed. I look at the plot's HOLO icons, and I can see the red-colored person icon indicating that nobody is assigned to it, so I walk over to one of the settlers and assign them to the plot. They construct it in short order, and I look over to the farm plot, and the farm's HOLO icons now says "2/3" indicating that I moved one person out of working on it, so it only has two out of three possible workers on it

if I had turned on some of the difficulty settings above the absolute simplest mode, then the plots wouldn't have been constructed since Red Rocket had nothing in its virtual storage to construct them with, but I could have given it a jumpstart by manually putting junk (like the stuff I recovered from Station Olivia!) into its virtual storage up until I get the industrial plots going. I may just do that and see if I can swing building up Abernathy Farm that way (although it looks like Abernathy Farm will already have people in it, so that will make the start-up a bit easier)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ah crap yeah about that. I guess I'll have to skip Abernathy Farm entirely. Good call.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epi Lepi posted:

What does this mean?

You shouldn't build up all three of them because they're so close together that it causes instability when they're all developed

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think there's a mod for FO4 that lets you see exactly what you're about to say whenever you pick a given option

as well as one that makes Nate/Nora silent, just like in all the previous Fallouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is that FO4 downgrader going to be an issue for mods that actually have updated themselves for the new patch?