Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Really digging the hell out of all the new crunchy stuff added in Sim Settlements 2. I don't like that it rubs your nose in the vanilla main quest in a couple of places but other than that it's :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I haven't had very many problems at all, overall it's less buggy than Conqueror was for me :shrug:

I only have ~110 mods installed though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

i was gonna try it, but it's 55 gigs and everything i've read about it indicates it's not worth it/hardly does anything

yeah it's a massive amount of space and load time and lowered overall stability imo, for the privilege of sometimes seeing sharper rust textures on a car you're sprinting past at 50 mph

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is one guy who has done a very large series of weapon overhauls that are all mostly balanced against each other, and the really broken poo poo is all gated with combinations of top tier craft skills and usually science or blacksmith. there is still broken OP poo poo of course, but it's at the point there's plenty of vanilla broken OP poo poo anyway (level 50+) so who cares.

it's a big mod, almost a gig, but it's all pretty integrated and working and makes pretty much all the weapons relevant and interesting

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41344

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there's a lot of visual variation added, that's why the mod is so big.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the power wiring system was the major culprit for me, if you use any wires anywhere they inevitably get hosed up. I went with a mod that just makes it all wireless power and scrapped every bit of constructed power wiring and most of my crash problems went away.
e: here is a set of wireless power mods to support that

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49505

and
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49055

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 9, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nobody does because it's a super non-obvious tech problem and you rarely see a symptom that really spells it out, but someone realized this and made a tool to detect and clean it, and once you know how to look you find it EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17777

quote:

Power Grid Tools

--- [0005] ---

★ About ★

Power Grid Tools adds two new console commands that allow you to inspect your settlement's power grid and automatically fix any errors detected within them.

This mod was created in collaboration with kinggath, who has been incredibly dedicated in researching the origins and symptoms for the Scrap Crash - an issue that has plagued players for a long, long time. Finally, we are presenting a fix - this plugin - that will allow you to save settlements that have fallen victim to it. For more information about the Scrap Crash, see kinggath's post here.

How to use

Enter the following commands in the console while you are within the buildable area of a settlement.

CheckPowerGrid (cpg)
Checks the power grid of the settlement you are currently in for errors.
Running cpg with no parameters will check for errors without fixing them. Running cpg 1 will automatically remove any bad power grids in your settlement.

ShowPowerGrid (pg)
Displays the contents of the power grid of the settlement you are currently in.

Why is this important?

Power grid corruption is the primary cause of the Scrap Crash - where the game crashes any time you attempt to scrap an object or perform any action related to power (e.g. building generators, wiring up objects, etc.) in a particular settlement. The scrap crash happens when the game attempts to access an invalid, non-workshop object in a corrupted power grid.

How can power grids get corrupted?

First, a primer on what activities affect the power grid:

Powered objects are added to the power grid when you perform an action on them (build them, move them, attach wires between them) in Workshop mode. Papyrus scripts from mods cannot add objects to the power grid.

Objects are removed from the power grid when you scrap them, store them or otherwise disconnect them in Workshop mode. Once again, Papyrus scripts from mods cannot remove objects from the power grid.

The problem occurs when an existing object in the power grid is not removed in the normal way described above, resulting in orphaned power grid entries.
There are a few ways this can happen:

When you uninstall a mod whose objects were in the power grid, all these objects become orphaned entries in the grid because they no longer exist in-game.

When a mod deletes objects via a Papyrus script. This bypasses the code that removes the object from the power grid, leaving an orphaned entry in the grid.

Once an entry is orphaned, there is no longer any in-game way to remove them from the power grid in Workshop mode as there are no longer any links to them.

Orphaned entries in the power grid are ticking time bombs! They refer to objects that have already been deleted. Orphaned entries can only accumulate in a power grid. The more orphaned entries in a grid, the greater the chance that the game will happen to 'recycle' one of these defunct IDs as it generates new objects. Once an orphaned power grid entry is recycled to become a different form type, you will experience what is known as the Scrap Crash.

Power Grid Tools will detect and drop bad grids with orphaned entries as well as entries that have already been recycled into an invalid entry (that directly causes the Scrap Crash).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the quest content is very good though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Don't bother with the first iteration, start with SS2. there is a separate category on Nexus just for SS2 stuff to help exclude the old version. You will need to start a new game also, it's one of those things you really don't want to add post-start.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

very fond of this one, it's a huge collection of overhauls of the vanilla guns all done by the same guy. the goal was to try to make all of them relevant at all points of the game, rather than (e.g.) pipe guns be something you use for a few levels and never touch again they can be upgraded much further and remain competitive with the high end stuff. so much work went into this, it's done really well:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/41344

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the story quest stuff in Fallout 76 is actually very good, if you can get over the enormous jank (long pauses between every line of dialogue, jarringly laggy combat)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

durp wrong thread

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My only really big complaint with Sim Settlements 2 is it forces you to acknowledge the main quest, was really annoyed about that. Conqueror let you completely thumb your nose at it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah but it still rubs your nose in "my baaaaaaaaaaaaaby" :gonk:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't have any advice for all the types of mods you mentioned except to say that Sim Settlements' story stuff is absolutely top shelf quality, practically all of it is at least as high quality as the actual story and voice content included in the vanilla game. The narrative branching is a lot more aware of how your character is statted (i.e. more like New Vegas) and there are generally multiple ways to approach any of the big story elements. Top quality voice acting and sound quality etc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

idk I played through it and had almost no crashes except for the things I already know to exclude, like the ridiculously overbuilt premade settlements

Entorwellian posted:

If you want to play it on Survival Mode, you should get a mod that enables saved games and also the console.

even unmodded the game was never stable enough for me to tolerate the dumbfuck no parachute save mode, fuuuuuuuuuck that poo poo that's for ten year olds with infinite time to live I'm old and going to die soon

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pretty sure that's not included in the base mod, you should take that up with the mod author and see about a safe way to remove them if they don't despawn automatically.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

as far as "overtuned" goes, if you're on survival difficulty yes some of the encounters (especially the first one) can be pretty hard, because combat in general in FO4 is pretty stupid. mainly the assaultron arm havers will do a ridiculous amount of melee if you allow them to land their lunge stab move on you, also the more advanced bots tend to blow up for a stupid amount of damage. the shooty types aren't very much different from any of the vanilla enemies, as far as I remember.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A whole bunch of core systems have been modified and some "data corruption" type bugfixes and workarounds were announced between then and now, so I would.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Terry Moore has a pleasant twitter presence :allears:

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1505927444091764736

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that's a humorous misclick :kiddo:

terry moore is nice tho

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm at that point in a Sim Settlements playthrough where any time I go near any of my settlements the game crashes :negative:

Such a neat mod with so much content but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yegods posted:

Where did you mean to post that? I might be interested in that forum...

the good/bad comic art thread, I don't read that much from the forum at large but I like that particular thread. the whole thread is great imo, start from the beginning and just enjoy, context is unnecessary to any of it
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400783

Glazius posted:

Have you cranked up the script limit in your INI? That's really what's getting them in the end, that they're locked to per-frame processing and the engine dies otherwise.

Other than that, I've had some luck quicksaving before I get close to a settlement and then edging forward so I'm not updating the whole thing at once.

I hadn't thought there was an ini tweak that might help there, thanks I will check that out. yes I usually quicksave and approach backwards, because (lol) what is in camera view is apparently a big part of the problem.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's maybe a little early to say but so far baka scrapheap isn't helping at all :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what specific DLCs is it looking for, do you mean the actual Bethesda content DLCs?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Need to buy the dlc or don't use mods that depend on them, but at this point *a lot* of mods depend on them

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

...how large are your settlements

when any of them get over about 20 plots they start being very crash prone. number of built-up settlements compounds this, it's generally not bad with one or two heavily built up settlements but when I have 6 or so it's a regular thing. turning all the SS2 performance options all the way down and turning off visitor NPCs does not affect this at all. I rarely use the included city plans because they're usually these hilariously overbuilt things that immediately go over the construction limit without even placing all their clutter bullshit that just makes it harder to actually use the amenities anyway.
re: mods that use script features, I use almost none like that, none at all that affect settler/npc behavior.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 4, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have a new policy of just building one of abernathy, red rocket and sanctuary (usually abernathy). any of the regions with settlements within sight of each other like oberland/graygarden, the slog/finch farm/county crossing etc, I do not build at more than one.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I've done all the suggested troublshooting and optimizing steps, I'm down to "run the game without any mods but SS2" or not running SS2 at all, or just doing the thing with carefully approaching settlements :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SS2/Workshop Framework mod options has a couple of new ones called "Auto repair/destroy power grid" that you should probably turn on, it attacks the problem that sometimes creates hosed up multiple power grids and causes some of the crashes you see when approaching settlements. Hard to say for sure but my game seems quite a lot more stable since I enabled these.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

since you keep getting HP as you level it really doesn't matter at all, my character has almost 1600 hit points lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

Christ

At like level 55 with 4 End I'm at 388.

increasing end raises your HP retroactively, so :shrug:
e: this is a really big problem with difficulty like most Bethesda games, it's not so obvious with F4 because when you start out on Survival and practically every enemy can kill you in 1-2 hits, but as you keep gaining HP they don't keep gaining damage (unless you add mods for that, and you should)

The big consolidated weapon overhaul by The6thMessenger does a pretty good job of addressing this for gun-users because all guns have a much higher top end for damage and they are just added to the loot tables like everything else, so even though I have that much health I still run into super mutants or raiders who can mess me up easily, and by the same token you don't have to put up with massive bullet sponge enemies invalidating 95% of all equipment.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/55924

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

almost certain this is the case, I'll check a little bit
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Endurance#Fallout_4

e: yeah, +1 end gives me over 100 hitpoints per point, at level 151, it's pretty stupid :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 19, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I started with a bunch of levels because, well, redoing the start for the literal 50th time at crawl speed and lacking the super useful poo poo like Stealth 4 (stop blowing up on mines, even if not sneaking) or Strong Back so I don't have to micromanage weight and inventory as much... gets tiresome

but yeah if you just wander around doing side quests and like, wandering around in the Glowing Sea for fun, you tend to pile up a lot of xp :shrug: usually I run with a 1/2 xp mod starting from level 1 and still end up in my 50s before I feel like touching the DLC maps

Boba Pearl posted:

Honestly in a modded Fallout 4, I'd be happier if they just removed leveling all together. Like let me make my end game build, and be balanced around that. The sense of progression should come from gear and gear mods, I don't really care about leveling in most RPGs to be honest, and I feel like there area lot of games that are held back by levels. The only games that I feel like do it really well are the Souls games, and a large part of that is the static difficulty of the monsters, and easily grindable spots to progress.

I wouldn't mind this, even in the vanilla game the leveling system is very stupid and unless you mod the hell out of everything then it stops making sense for you to care about almost any of the content because you can just negligently point a gun (or a bat, or a hammer, or a knife, or whatever) in stuff's direction and it explodes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you max out your int and try to keep it as high as possible it makes a very big difference, also the Idiot Savant perk is just bunch of bonus xp if you don't find it too silly
re: gear progression, seriously check out that weapon overhaul, and consider an ammo crafting mod unless you really enjoy the scarcity style

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Arivia posted:

yeah i'm at int 9 and i guess i could swap out my perception trench coat for a lab coat to go up to 11

i do find idiot savant silly though yes

my run is going fine, it's just interesting how with more vanilla mechanics i'm having the opposite from you two

Me being higher level isn't really associated with mods, I just *really* do a lot of wandering around killing stuff. I don't have any mods that really do anything to XP, nothing that changes enemy level or anything like that. I also make it a point to craft up all the high end meat drops, that's a lot of xp.
e: I mean yeah this character started with a bunch of levels but generally I start at 1 and still find the leveling too fast and use a 1/2 xp mod

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 19, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

re: ballistic weave you can get that by using the combination of Armorsmith Extended/AWKCR because one of the core things it does is standardize all that.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228

e: may not be safe to add this post-start, so consider it for next playthrough I guess, but I think it can be layered on top of most mod content and at worst 3rd party stuff just won't make use of it. I have some mod added armor/clothing pieces that don't use it but they do still work at least :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 22, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well next time I restart I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Meant to post this here, oops

Sim Settlements 2 large content expansion ("Headquarters 2.0")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLt7FddSos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it can get pretty obtrusive at times, yeah. It's annoying how many of the quests is gated behind an obscure build threshold like "must have 5 poo poo percolators at level 3" or whatever.

I really miss Conqueror, where you're directly encouraged to tell the main quest to go gently caress itself