Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Syndlig posted:

Big settlement effortpost incoming

Was thinking of getting back into fallout 4 soon and this was a great post.

Are there any good weapon overhauls, survival mode overhauls or gameplay overhauls that are worth looking into by now? the only real gameplay mod I had was the armorsmith extended just so I could wear different looking outfits without weakening myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm interested in trying one of the green wasteland mods the next time I start a playthrough, for a bit less barren desert look and more chernobyl look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6PrJK4Cd8

Any of them have major performance hits or problems?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The last time I played was before any DLC or construction kit came out, are there any good gun/enemy/settlement/skill/general gameplay overhauls that are worth looking into for a new playthrough that have come out ever since the construction kit was made available?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is a modless playthrough recommended for a first run?

It's probably one of their best on-release titles so far, you shouldn't need to go crazy on mods on the first playthrough and can just add them on as you find small annoyances or things you feel could be improved.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The dialogue mod and the mod that let's you wear any armor piece combination for maximum dressup without sacrificing your defenses were the main mods I used early after release.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any good mods come out lately or about to come out? was thinking of pouring over the mods available now and making a install.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
There any mods out that make scrapping a settlement of resources fast and not time consuming? I've cleaned all of them up on my first plays I don't want to do it again.

Basically something similar to the scrapall command but without the potential bugs of scrapping doors and stuff like that.

And anything for improving enemy raids of settlements either to make them better or not appear in the middle of your town behind the walls?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On Horizon talk, is it not possible to just buy the ammo you need or craft/luck perk more ammo and would laser weapons not have enough ammo?

I do feel like in vanilla fallout4 after a certain point there wasn't any reason not to use your combat rifle and combat shotgun and regular or laser sniper rifle and pipes quickly became obsolete trash, so I can kind of get behind your godly guns being for special occasions and balancing the gameplay around the pipe guns.

Although in practice it probably mostly means full auto weapons are even worse and one shot one kill weapons are still great.

I think it might be a interesting mod to try when I try fallout 4 again.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 9, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

No, not really. It takes the scacity thing really seriously, I wasn't joking when I said I killed 20 raiders and the most exciting chest in the place had 4 .45 bullets, a bandage and some antibiotics.

Outside of 20 energy cells on the dead minuteman with the crank musket I don't think I found a single cell in the world or on a merchant.

Also ammo is expensive and most merchants have tiny stocks (like 3-12 bullets) that take days to refill.

Maybe Horizon combined with a ammo crafting mod if one exists would be just about right?

Those that played Horizon, do they like the scarcity or does it feel limiting in your options?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I'm thinking of restarting my playthrough with Horizon, since y'all are talking about it a bunch, are there some good mods that complement it?

I got the same question as this guy, last time I played fallout 4 the creation kit had not come out yet, whats the list of "must have" changes and additions? last time I played I only had some minor graphical changes and the armorsmith mod that let you layer and improve the otherwise weak clothes for better dressup.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Going to get back into fallout 4 and looking for what the must-have mods are these days, is there a recommended list besides the nexus top 100 I can browse?

Here is what I'm going with so far, tell me if I'm missing something obvious or I'm dumb for taking one of these.

Horizon
Unofficial patch.
Vivid landscapes and other vivids.
Full dialogue interface
Def UI
Sim Settlement
Immersive Vendors
Armorsmith
Truestorms
Legendary Overhaul.

Coming from oblivion and skyrim this list feels really short, what crazy stuff am I missing that might improve my game?
Also, is the script extender necessary?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 18, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Is Fallout 4 - Texture Optimization Project worth getting if I'm already getting Vivid landscapes and Faraway area reform or would they not work well together?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

staberind posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22823/ M150.

enjoy.
Also : fittingly enough, I have not once managed to get 100 happyness in a settlement. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11134/ Time for a Happymaker.

:eyepop:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Got a playthrough of Horizon going, after a bit of the early missions and preparing settlements I realized I was basically on a clock before I died from full rads from just eating and drinking and made the long journey to diamond city.
Made it across a bridge while being shot at by raiders from both sides and made it to diamond city during a radstorm with 90% of my healthbar red and 18 HP left with no healing items left, spent 710 of the 740 caps I made just going to the doctor.

Are doctors going to be my main way to cure rads? are all the empty or damaged stimpacks just junk items or is there a recipe somewhere to fix them up?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My settlements seem to display 999 defense in the workshop for some reason, is that a known bug in vanilla or modded fallout? only settlement related mods I have are sim settlement/place anywhere/better warnings for settlements.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
What are peoples thoughts playing with the legendary overhaul mod? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22420/

The first legendary I got is a pistol that summons a couple wolves at people, it shoots wolves.

I'm not sure what to think of the mod so far.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I can't tell much of a difference with the animals, but the ghouls look great, they have that certain hard to describe look about them where they look messed up and off from a distance but you want to take a closer look to see the details of how they are messed up, like a face that looks weird from a distance but upclose it's a squirming mass of maggots in the shape of a face, that sort of thing.

I'm sure there is a word for it or a name for the style but I'm drawing a blank.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That's some good work on the skins, would they be more or less performance friendly since you say you optimized them a bit better then the default ones?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Edit: found a solution to my problem, turns out if your grenades are swapped out it can bug out everything else somehow.

On another note, does anyone use any of the green wasteland mods and recommend any?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Odd request for a mod here if anyone has heard of something like this, I find in bethesda games I tend to get weighed down with valuable items that weigh 0.1 until I'm carrying 20 lbs of it, is there any mod that either shows the weight or combined weight at a quick glance in the inventory, or a mod that shows me how much weight in each category I am carrying like something to tell me I am carrying 100 lbs of items in the aid category.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On Horizon talk, I been playing it the past week and what I like compared to vanilla is he seems to of fixed the obvious oversights in how certain valuable items were thrown at you faster then you can use them, like in vanilla by the time you leave sanctuary you'd probably be level 20 with unlimited free water and caps for selling it.

Some of the things that are changed in Horizon:

Healing is rare and valuable and first aid kits only usually have some of the materials for crafting healing with actual healing items being extremely rare.
Bobbypins don't show up in the firstaid kits either, I'm hovering in the 10ish bobbypin range constantly and it's the first time I'm considering taking the final lockpicking perk so that all my bobbypins can go towards crafting healing items.
Purified water is much harder to get started requiring buying or finding filters and you seem to be limited to 2 bottles per settlement per day and it requires liquid fuel to keep the machines running, but you can access that water in any settlement you built his storage system for it in.
Cloth is actually kinda hard to get a hold of, pre-war money and cigs don't salvage into cloth anymore so you can't make a bed out of 2 cigarettes and a dollar anymore, a lot of materials got their salvage changed to make it so some of the valuable materials don't just quickly stockpile into the hundreds like in vanilla.
Rads are pretty scary and the red health tends to stick around for awhile until you make it back to a doctor and have a few hundred caps to spare.
Ammo is pretty scarce until you get scrounger ranked up a bit and look in every little container and even then, though it comes with the downside of getting the ammo for full auto weapons being a far off dream, although he bumped up the full auto damage to compensate.
Perks overhauled and the majority of big damage boosts are removed and the gameplay is more easily balanced around that instead of the variance of having to balance for the guy with no damage perks or 100-150% damage boosts.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Here's my recommended mods for a super immersive, fairly lightweight Horizon playthrough

(ShadowBoost+ENBoost+Optimized Textures)
Far Area Reform
Interiors Enhanced - Darker Ambient Light and Fog
DEF_UI/Valacil Item Sorting
WOF Ballistic Overhaul (with trails, trust me, you'll poo poo yourself when you're playing Horizon and you see trails and hear a firefight off in the distance)
reverb+ambience overhaul
True Storms+Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth (compatibility patch here http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19834/ )
Armorsmith Extended (Horizon compatibility patch)
Towbie's Realistic Gun Fire Overhaul (this with reverb+ambience overhaul and no music is god-tier)
Homemaker (Horizon compatibility patch)
Sim Settlements (Horizon compatibility patch)
Raider Overhaul (Horizon compatibility patch)
No More Combat Music (optional but I turn off music generally depending on the situation)
Classic Fallout Ambience (alternate version which combines Fallout 1+2+4 ambient music)
Crossbows of the commonwealth (Horizon compatibility patch)
HORIZON Survival Overhaul
I like seeing what other people use for their mod lists, that is pretty similar to what I picked out myself, I should probably give ballistic overhaul and raider overhaul a try.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For those who have played with raiders of the commonwealth anyone have anything positive or negative to say about it?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

What's a good stat spread for a horizon playthrough?

You get a extra 7 stats to begin with to compensate for the slower leveling, I personally always go 6 charisma to start on any character because I get into settlement building and you can pretty quickly max out the vendor prices.

Luck seems very good in Horizon, I started investing more into it, it's both good for scavenging the occasional extra bullet from random lockers and desks and being able to conserve ammo by buffing up your vat's crits to blow away somethings weak spot with a single bullet, I can't even figure out where a mirelurk hunters "head" is supposed to even be without vats.
He also added some crit chance perks for outside of vats which late game could make full auto weapons pretty good.

I got the technologist perk in perception, so far the junk items you get from killing synths or looting machines from the first few points are pretty good at getting rarer materials like circuitry, copper, gears and the later point perks suggest fancier items and you do need lots of circuitry for settlement defense or crafting certain things.

Agility was my dump stat with 1 point, but I could see a melee heavier build wanting to grab blitz, or just going 5 for the faster AP regen and more AP for sprinting.

A couple points in hunting and survival in endurance makes life easier.

I went high int myself, but that could be scaled back into doing heavy luck.

I went 2 in heavyback to still run while overweight, but the guy has some crafting options that can more then deal with any carry weight problems if you feel like going down that route.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'd say with Horizon power armor is right now a bit useless just because of carry capacity changes, the mod maker is looking into it, but right now if you use pocketed armor which he buffed you'll carry less in the power armor then outside of it and that's not even including one of the systems he added to massively increase your carry weight that doesn't right now work in armor.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Friend recently went looking at modlists for fallout4, is there a wabbajack pack that is rated higher then the rest? believe he tried to download either magnus or enhanced edition and it failed to install on the final mod.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My friend went with Magnum Opus, right away he could tell it was a good modpack because at character creation it had so many butt sliders and nipple sliders they couldn't fit on the screen without scrolling way down.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, the TV show seems to of made people really interested in the vidja game, not to mention the nexus crashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think in a few months when the update issues are fixed I should give a modpack fallout4 playthrough a try and actually play the DLC I bought but never played, what are some of the mods or modpacks that extend the early game scarcity and survival and make combat slightly more fun with less bullet sponges and aimbot AI shooting you the instant you peek your head out of cover?