Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gonkish posted:

That is cooler than it has any right being.

This straight-up looks like a Space Wolf Terminator, it's rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Any of you guys following the survival overhaul FROST? It's made by the FNV Dust guy and it looks great
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...review%3D&pUp=1

Holy poo poo this sounds great and what I've been looking for from a FO4 mod.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, I can't wait until pre-made settlement mods start coming out. Sanctuary is just so loving bad as a home base/blank canvas that it kills my enjoyment of the game.

I dream of a mod where your settlements build themselves; it's just up to you to secure building material and plan out supply lines.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

(I actually really love DUST, but Horizon is really accentuating his loving painful it was to always instantly die from any gunshot. It was particularly aggravating by the time I switched to FO4 because I'd gotten to a point where I could fearlessly engage super mutants in melee 3v1 and come out on top without breaking a sweat but still regularly died to some flicker of pixels in the distance that it took 5 reloads to figure out was a Survivor with a hunting rifle.)

Man I think you're confusing FROST with Horizon here. FO4's FROST is the spiritual sequel to NV's DUST, including the "ditch the whole story and totally gently caress up the world all scary like" part; Horizon is an extensive overhaul of the vanilla game so resource scarcity is a real motherfucker, but enemies tend to wear you down instead of insta-kill you to make the resource issue a lot more important.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

Nah, I just meant that Horizon's slow, brutal grind and how challenging it is without feeling like it's just loving with you really made me appreciate how obnoxious DUST's twitchy trial-and-error gameplay can be.

Yeah, re-read your post and I was the mistaken one :doh:

You're definitely right though, the slow grind is actually much more tense than getting swarmed by 10 high-level enemies and dying instantly, while Horizon is constantly stressing you about how much ammo you really want to spend because your supply will get drained by every encounter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zore posted:

Don't ever eat pre-war food, it costs way too many rads for the nutrition you get. As a corollary, hunt literally everything so you have food. Any radstag/molerat/etc you see should be butchered. With melee to save bullets.

Adding to this, first things first: get Hunter as your first perk so you can actually get meat from your animal kills. If you really want to optimize your food in early game, don't clear the truck stop until you get your first level-up from doing the Concord quest so you can get even more of that sweet molerat meat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I must be doing a lot of wrong poo poo with NAC, because I'm getting the washed-out, bloom city that is vanilla FO4. I'm not getting enough warm tones, just blinding white light. Should I be pairing it with a vegetation mod too?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

Use the configuration tool.

Yeah, I've been playing around with it but results haven't been good at all. I suppose the main culprit is the different types of daylight option?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is Nexus using some bad ads as of late? I got Adblock and Noscript running and with permissions being temporarily allowed, clicking around the mod page occasionally gets me redirected to a shady-looking link, and clicking the Files tab to try and start a download just reloads the page (and sometimes redirects too). This wasn't a problem a week or so before.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

beyonder posted:

I would not be surprised if Nexus had bad ads. Scan your 'puter just to be sure and never disable Adblock etc. Only site that gets a bit of leeway from me is my bank's website.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Nexus and any other website getting supplied with the current wave of ads by whoever right now. Judging from the links they're pushing some mobile apps or whatever.

drat shame, I wanted to try out the new Horizon weapons pack but I guess I'll have to wait since it doesn't seem to be working out, even with permissions allowed to the sanest degree.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

TheTrend posted:

Adblock is compromised and useless. Use ublock.

Hey, you're right, it totally stopped the redirecting! Thanks!

Unfortunately I still can't switch tabs nor log in (not that that's a good idea ATM), so it looks like I have to wait for the Nexus to shut these ads down or whatever.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Does the horizon weapon pack add the weapons to the leveled lists so that enemies will use them?

Unfortunately no I think, they're just craftable at the weapons bench and scaled appropriately for the mod.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The really obvious version is sticking power fists on both hands, because why the gently caress can't you use the power fist in power armour?

There's mods for your power armor's fists, so they half-assedly tried to make it so power armor basically gives you a pair of murder mitts.

New mod request: I want to strap shotguns to my power-armored fists.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, trying to get back into FO4 with the M1911 merge patch out for Horizon, but the ingame model isn't showing up. I got Skyman's weapon patch, the corresponding 1911 mod he linked in his description, and the optional 1911 patch he has in his files directory, but so far no combination has resulted in the model being visible. Wonder what's wrong.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, it's not a merged patch, just an additional mod that integrates the 1911 added by the linked mod into Horizon's crafting and leveled lists. Sorry for the confusion.

These ones:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24913/ The Horizon patch

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10406/ The 1911

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 17, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Erd posted:

Uh, this is the 1911 in the patch you linked? Did you link the wrong one?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23788/

EDIT: This one counts too, I suppose? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21142/

Hah, well gently caress, no wonder it wasn't working right. Guess Skyman linked to the wrong mod on his page. Thanks for the sanity check.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Chronojam posted:

Hello everybody who uses sim settlements: get yourself a copy of the newish mod that expands the construction areas, it's good and the NPCs understand how to navigate and use the extra space.

This it? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25316/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a proper energy replacement for shotguns? I usually have a pistol, shotgun, rifle and sniper rifle and on this playthrough I'm trying to go all energy weapons. I used to dislike the laser musket but with a good scope and plenty of cranks it's doing well as a sniper rifle, and the regular laser rifle/pistol do just fine but I'm having trouble replacing the double barrel shotgun for that quick jump around the corner BAM BAM quick finisher.

I think you can mod both laser and plasma weapons to shoot in a spread pattern using the muzzle slot.

Hell, I think you can mod the Laser Musket into a hilariously over-the-top laser shotgun too. Dump 6 cells worth of laser into a massive shotty blast.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Chronojam posted:

That's the one!

Yeah, this is great! Thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't have any of the DLCs, which is required for the latest version of the Unofficial FO4 patch. This means I can only use the long unsupported vanilla version. On the other hand, Horizon's notes state that its compatibility with the Unofficial patch isn't perfect either, and while it doesn't say so explicitly, I imagine compatibility is even worse with the old version.

Any of you guys have experience with my situation? Should I go for the Unofficial patch or just keep on truckin' without it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, that Junktown Fences add-on for Sim Settlements looks incredible. Kinda makes me want to do another playthrough, which is insane because I'm already way too far in but also reasonable because as if there's any value to doing the quests and exploring inner Boston apart from XP.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just saw that Architect vid, and the more the mods for this game develop, the more frustrated I get about how Bethesda designed the world and the more I just want to have the main story quests and maybe even Boston's inner city core excised from the game.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nevets posted:

Not everything is done yet. I'm using the original alley for farming & industrial plots, and the waterfront for housing / rec / commercial.

Here are the original & new borders with ASE:

I haven't tried to build on the rooftops yet, but probably will expand there when I need more space for farms, etc.

Holy poo poo, Architect will finally let me turn Hangman's Alley into an honest-to-god settlement. Even with ASE I couldn't figure out a way to make it work.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Nevets posted:

Not using Architect / Horizon, just Sim Settlements & Place Anywhere.

Yeah, but your idea to build on the waterfront inspired me. The new Architect boardwalks will be a fantastic fit for that idea.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, Architect has inspired me to have another go at FO4. All over again; but that's fine, the story is poo poo anyway. Any mods you guys can recommend to accompany Horizon (plus weapon pack) and Sim Settlements? I got Armorsmith Extended as recommended by zawinul himself, plus a bunch of graphics mods, a backpack mod, and crossbows.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

horse mans posted:

These are the mods I use with Horizon. See my earlier posts for the start mod replacement.

horsemans.github.io/modlist.txt
horsemans.github.io/loadorder.txt

Cool, I'll check these out.

...and goddammit I was JUST about to get back into FO4 and now I gotta fuckin' wait again.

Man, I hope this is it. Has kinggath finally made FO4 settlement building into the system I wanted it to be all along?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

(Horizon) I don't know if this is intentional, but when I load API ammo I seem to be able to shoot straight through robots and hit their weak points from any angle. One-shot sentrybots without needing to tucker them out first.

That sounds like the vanilla Penetrator perk. Horizon's API ammo might have a penetration value high enough to mimic its effects.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to get back into Sim Settlements but with the companions only limitation for city mayors, I have to wait until kinggath comes up with the next version that adds whatever he's planning for recruitable settlement leaders since there's a fair amount of settlements in the game that I can't be bothered to clear out and customize to my liking.

...to be honest, this is drat near all of them, actually.

Ironically, Starlight Drive-in, the one that he's working on to include in the next set of auto-build settlements, is the one I find best for building on my own.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can get quite a few companions fairly easily, you should be able to get nick, codsworth, curie, cait, preston, and strong quite simply.

Oh I know, I just don't like moving them from their "home" locations if I can help it since you can't order them back. It's a fussy lore thing, don't mind me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

...of course there's a mod for it :doh:

Thank you!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

xanthan posted:

Any of the Sim Settlements add-ons people here recommend? Making a nice looking town that runs itself to an extent is pretty nice.

I use these:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23421/ - Animal farms, so you can have more than just plants to feed your dudes. Some of the resulting products are kinda overpowered though, particularly if you're playing Horizon.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23125/ - Industrial plots that can fulfill power and defense needs. I particularly like the barracks chain; more faction dudes hanging around makes settlements feel a bit more alive.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

i am tim! posted:

It always REALLY bothered me that people are just leaving pre-war skeletons exactly where they were, even if they’re in a room people conduct business in. Not because of any sort of “Oh those bones would have disintegrated years ago!” type reasoning but because any normal person would have gotten rid of them as soon as they move in because leaving them there is just loving creepy.

Drumlin Diner will forever be the biggest sign that Bethesda doesn't give a gently caress about either logic nor consistency in environmental design for Fallout.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Trudy turned that diner into a shop, except there's no sign that it's actually a home with beds or fortification, and also there's a loving skeleton just sitting in one of the booths. It's a miracle that Trudy and son manage to survive, considering that it's also a random encounter spot and generally gets attacked by raiders every other time I pass by.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, it's supposed to be a caravan stop, so the two should get to trade for food on the regular. Still, it does not look like a trading post and it is not fortified like you would expect a trading post would be in a hostile wasteland. It's just some random diner put down by a road, decorated by Bethesda's crack team of interior designers and their love for piles of trash and hugging skeletons, and then the quest designers put some idiots in it and called it a day. Also they never met with the encounter designers so there's usually some firefight between Trudy and a bunch of rear end in a top hat raiders.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With the new Rise of the Commonwealth patch, I'm ready to get back in. A few questions:

1) For Sanctuary, the workstations will get scrapped if I don't put them in the workshop stash, right?
2) For every settlement, I should be fine by looting the place dry and then letting the mod auto-scrap everything once settlers start building poo poo, right?
3) Is the "donation box" for RoC settlements entirely separate from their individual workshop stash?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Rad, thank you.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I understand that you have the ability to add water pumps or whatever to Rise of the Commonwealth settlements to help them out, but does that also apply to power? The Red Rocket settlement started with plots and a Recruitment beacon, but no generator to actually give power...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That's weird, because I connected the Red Rocket recruitment beacon to a generator and the power "issue" disappeared. Also a new settler came after, though that could just be the usual recruitment delay. Ah well, thanks for the info regardless.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want to use that Logistics Station mod except that I'm not sure if every single RotC city plan has at least one industrial plot I can use for it. I could always just make my own, of course, but I'm not sure of the extent that each city plan reaches too; I already got surprised by how the Sanctuary build is shaping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Glazius posted:

You can knock down any plot and put your own up, it'll just need power. The station has an interior variant too so you can just drop it in anywhere.

Doesn't the mod warn you about removing plots and items that are part of the city plan? I don't want to poke at whatever voodoo is keeping that all together, it's unstable enough as it is.