Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I feel like playing this again. Is this as... incredibly twitchy about things as New Vegas is? Or can I just like, slam a bunch of stuff in and tell Mod Organizer 2 to sort them and go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh is everything going to require all the DLC like New Vegas does? Because I don't have any.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh drat it, my game is crashing when I get near the bridge on the way to vault 111. Does some specific event fire there? It just vanishes to desktop without an error message, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

EDIT: installed a mod to skip intro and still had the crash after moving around a little, hm.

EDIT EDIT: it was one of Super Mutant Redux or Raider Overhaul, oh well, guess I'll just not use them.

3EDIT: hm, it did it again, but after I got most of the way through vault 111.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 8, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hang on I've had it crash while cocking the 10mm pistol, when I just landed from a jump... is this SOUND related?? I dont' think I put in any sound mods though

EDIT: is there like, a crash error log somewhere I could look at?

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 8, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Best you can do is read the drat Nexus profile for each one and the bug section and deduce if they aren't being supported.

Took forever for me to track down the source of my crash woes months back (a grab and eat mod somehow kept causing locks ups) sadly because of the age of the game some mods, even good ones will be abandoned now.

I discovered there is error logging and have turned it on and hopefully this will, like, say something useful

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I barely changed anything though :psyduck:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It worked! Oh well, at least I don't need to get rid of anything!

Except the mod which I did not realize replaced the 10mm pistol with one which takes longer to reload, that one goes int he trash, and I discovered there were superior more recent versions of a couple mods while troubleshooting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Now I'm getting spammed by "generic hud update" things which google claims is a conflict between Hud Framework and DEF_UI but i have the patch which should be fixing this installed?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So what's that acutally useful error logging mod? I'm randomly crashing when I load saves. Like, I can just start the game up again and load the save anyway, it's just if I've been playing a while. I'm not losing anything other than the time it takes to start up the game and get to the main menu.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well that sounds good. I realized this is gonna be a lot more important once the Brotherhood arrives and I savescum to steal the fusion cores and thus power armor out of every patrol.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ah hah! Buffout is pointing a finger at Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth!

I think I'll just ditch it for something else rather than try and figure out how to do whatever it said to fix it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Yeah Buffout is the one, I wasn't able to link it when you were first interested though. Glad everything is sorted!
Things are not sorted the problem is still here and Buffout is not logging whatever the problem is! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Gamebryo Creation Engine is the problem. Your save probably just has some cruft that needs deleted. Go to a bed. Open the console (the ` key by default) and type "PCB" without the quotes. Sleep for 72 hours. At this point you should be good, so when I do it I'll usually make a hard save and load that just to make sure, but it's not absolutely necessary.
This appears to have worked, thanks you! I am reloading over and over to steal these three power armors from some Brotherhood guys who were fighting a deathclaw (and, uh, shouldn't be here at this point in the game, but whatever) and nary a crash in sight! :toot:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

something seems off with the Glock 86 plastma gun mod

I just got gun nut 3 so I modded the one I found and now I can fit, uh, my entire collection of 1700-odd energy cells into it

also it's by far my strongest gun

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My game has started to stutter sometimes, especially when I'm in Sanctuary Hill, my most built-up settlement which also has my crafitng stations and some power armor standing around, etc.

Is, uh, is this just... like, what happens when I've got 19 people in a settlement with sim settlements housing plots and job plots, and like five other settlements running auto-city stuff?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Yes. There are settings you can use to reduce some of the performance impact, beyond just what the base game graphics settings do. You can reduce the frequency of certain checks, and reduce the amount of random visuals and smoke and sound effects.

I think there was some other new mod that came out that also increases the memory available to things like scripts that can help avoid crashes and slowdowns.

Sanctuary Hill in particular often had bad performance, and you are encouraged to NOT build at Red Rocket at the same time, to avoid performance issues.

More specifically, building up all three of Sanctuary and Red Rocket and the farm there is considered the easiest way to gently caress performance in the whole region.
The only thing I am building at Red Rocket is automatrons to run my supply line network out of it. Nobody actually lives there except companions I'm dumping there temporarily so I can find them later.

Maybe I should find somewhere else to do my crafting, though. Any recommendations for somewhere out of the way that I could use?

... I was also having these performance issues, like, in the Dunwich Borers indoor area, though. Hm.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Do you have any lighting mods? It might just not run well for you, also.

I've always liked hangman's alley for a nice central crafting place and general loot-drop. Greygarden is also out of the way, but close enough to the city that the commute isn't too bad.

The drive-up theater might be a good main base as well, if you need a large area.
Actually I'm continuing to have similar problems with my computer after quitting the game, so maybe it's something else! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I definitely had more conventional issues when trying to use a crafting station in heavy weather at Sanctuary though so maybe I'll go find Hangman's Alley and just build some crafting stations there.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

7c Nickel posted:

You can also fortify Hangman's Alley into a real citadel but be aware; some of the default spawn points for attacks are inside the buildzone. So either get a mod to see where those are and build accordingly or get a mod that moves them farther out.
If I don't have any residents, food, or water generation do I even care about attacks?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

aw dammit i dont want to muck up my current setup but this is awfully tempting

curious how the new gameplay feels. in all my sims runs i never really got into tech trees or the settlements side quests cause it was all a bit obtuse to me
My current playthrough I ended up with a "hydration research assistant" quest which is incredibly vague about what you are actually supposed to do or how to tell if you are progressing it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is the OP in this thread as hopelessly outdated as the ones in other Bethesda/Bethesda-adjacent modding threads? With New Vegas the OP is basically useless by now, for example.

I've been considering doing a close-to-vanilla-but-slightly-edited playthrough, and I'm wondering what I should/shouldn't pick.
The "last edited" date on the op is in april this year.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

What does a “normal” combat load look like for people in terms of weight? In the early game I’m normally running about 80 pounds but that’s with me carrying a few more weapons than I probably absolutely need to (both a pipe sniper and a hunting rifle, and an auto pipe rifle, and a shotgun, etc...). Could probably slim that down a bit but 20 extra pounds isn’t really making or breaking me (not doing survival)

cheating/modding my carry weight up to the point i can take literally every object in a dungeon out of it without getting overloaded.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I saw a mod that removed fog from it once but don't remember where.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Most of the other factions have something, the Gunners are just generic raiders except with different aesthetics.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't forget too that the Talon Company in 3 was literally the same thing. ~bethesda~
I don't remember the talon company at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Philippe posted:

They came after you after saving Megaton. They're just loot piñatas.

Oh those guys. I mean, at least there the motivation is "Tenpenny is mad at you and hired some guys". The Gunner motivation is to stand around and do nothing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fantastic Alice posted:

Haha no, they get hired to kill you if you have positive karma also. Someone wants you dead because you gave water to some beggars. Its even stupider because they come after you even if you never did the thing that gives a solid motivation because gently caress anyone who is a good person.
:negative:

... still slightly more motivation than the Gunners have.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Don't forget that defending yourself against "evil" guys that attacked you on sight got you positive karma, so you needed to do the occasional atrocity in order to stay neutral! :shepface:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

Any advice for getting this to run in widescreen? I've had an itch to play FO4 for a while now, but I can never seem to get it to work right with my widescreen monitor. All of the mods fixing this issue seem out of date and broken, and I never could seem to get the ini stuff working properly.

Edit: Well, nevermind, messing with the ini seems to be... good enough. Scopes are busted and don't look right, and the UI is a little weird in certain areas, but at least the window is the size of the screen.
It ran fine in 16:9 last time I played, with no fiddling required? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I got fed up and just uninstalled/deleted everything, save for my old save games. I thought maybe I could salvage it, but

I keep thinking maybe I should just go with Wabbajack or the Nexus Collections for a pre-fab modlist for a more convenient setup, but from what I remember reading over in the Skyrim Modding thread, you more-or-less need a Nexus Premium Account to do so. I dunno if it's absolutely required for Nexus Collections (it looks like you're locked into using Vortex, which I've not tried), but because of the number of mods you're downloading, you need the premium speeds in order to download everything in a timely manner.

Alternatively, I thought to ask for someone's modlist that I could reference for an idea of how to order plugins. There's Modwatch (https://modwat.ch/), but it sounds like that's primarily for diagnosing mod issues, and there's no links for the mods listed.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I could just search 'Fallout 4 modlist' on Google and maybe find some results :downs: One of the first I got was from the Nexus called MOFAM (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48580). It sounds interesting, but it's got like 50 parts.
It's not the speed, you can just wait longer, it's needing to (in wabbjack, at least) individually authorize each download by manually clicking that's the problem.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Relyssa posted:

If you send me a link to your Nexus profile (PM is fine) I can send you enough donation points for a month of free premium to save you from having to click each download.

Is this offer still open? I could do with some shooting things and stealing everything not nailed down right now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Relyssa posted:

I have enough points left for one more lucky person to get a free month of premium. Next month when they distribute more I may be able to do this more but for now you're getting what's left. PM me your profile if you don't mind.
Awesome thanks, Sent.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anything I might likely want to turn off in, or add to, Magnum Opus? I saw that Rad-Ban Eyewear mod people were talking about earlier scroll past in the preview...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why in the gently caress does Magnum Opus make Brotherhood power armor have a special paint job that I can't seem to craft that makes it much, much stronger as armor? Like a T60d I've, uh, rescued after the owner had to leave it behind has better armor than the corresponding pieces of X-01 I've found at max upgrade.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dolphinbomb posted:

If you want Brotherhood power armor, maybe you should join the Brotherhood.
Or I could pickpocket the power cores out of every patrol I see and dd them to my growing collection.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

there should at least be a smaller number of them and more places that are populated by NPCs with names instead of "Settler"s. Maybe a lot of those places need help with infrastructure projects but make that quests to get materials or rare components rather than "Hello thank you for helping us with 1(One) Thing I am going to turn off my personality and let you call all the shots now"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do note that the OP was last edited in 2020, it's 3 years out of date.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

So far I have Abernathy, Red Rocket, and Sanctuary. Ive got the basic needs met, but happiness is only 22% at Sanctuary.

Do the tatos I farm actually convert to player-edible, or are they purely for settlers to use?

Not sure what a good goal is now that my settlers are food and water stable. Im level 4 now as well. Any recommendations on where to take things?

Do you have Defense, and are the beds you've provided everybody under roofs?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah I understand, I was just caught off guard since a UI submod interacting with those internal systems in such a way was unexpected. I still don't see the salvage ingredients for items outside those FROM the SS2 mod, but I imagine thats due to the exact mechanical reliance on ID's described. Id rather not restart a 14 hour game since I just got to Chapter 2 of the mod, so I'll deal with it.

I think the UI sorting stuff actually does that by rubbing itself all over the item names/IDs/something, so that actually seems like it could cause horrible problems if it's not there from the start.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thanks a bunch. I'm not a huge building stuff guy but the story stuff from sim settlements sounds neat so I may get that.

For now I'll grab base TMR and a few of the 'extended' mods and start tweaking from there.
Good news: Sim Settlements lets you have other people do building. You just go "make a building of X type here" and then the settlers actually handle it. Or you can turn an entire settlement over to a mayor and give them a building plan and forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah you can simply turn on a city plan for a particular settlement and your settlers will just build literally everything, you don't have to actually place much of anything except for a starter item here and there.
You can also just build "a house" , or "a shop" "a resource production facility", etc, if you want more control (and for things to go faster than it seems to with full city plans) without having to build floors, walls, doors, beds, etc etc. Or if it's a modded location without a city plan for it.