Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
democracy... is it really all that good
yes
no
it's kind of ironic to vote on whether democracy is good or bad
View Results

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

is it all that it's cut up to be? smash that poll button folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

no poll voted 2

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Skyl3lazer posted:

no poll voted 2

uhh haha wow someone's blind

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
more like democrazy am i right

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/740763914988867585

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
well the US is a pretty poo poo example of a truly democratic country.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Reason posted:

what's a good one?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

democracy's first album was the only good one, ancient greece

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Reason posted:

dictatorship of the ruling class isn't truly democratic in the least

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
i viewed the results with mild disinterest without voting, this seemed the demographically correct thing for me to do

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Democracy is okay as long as you only let the right people vote.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

smg77 posted:

This. So Much This.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The best democracy is probably Switzerland. However, it recently rejected mincome, therefore democracy is bad and counterrevolutionary.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I loudly complained about the poll and how none of the options are acceptable to my class or stature and then drew and x on my screen and complaind that my vote wasnt counted.

FRAUD!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

smg77 posted:

Totally agree. Whites and people with photo IDs only please.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Totally agree. Whites and people with photo IDs only please.

he said the right people, not the white people

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Only members of the Wu Tang clan should be allowed to vote and Cappadonna doesn't count.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's good, you want to know what you get without accountability look at china

more democratic = better than

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

It's good, you want to know what you get without accountability look at china

more democratic = better than

i refuse to take this obvious bait

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Kansas has elected Sam Brownback twice. I can no longer in good concince believe that a job as important as ensuring that all citizens get proper medical care, that children receive an adequate education and that people do not starve or freeze to death in their homes can be properly filled by the electorate.

Maybe we can manage to vote on less important things like roads and what time on Sunday we can buy beer then expand it as/if we improve.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
i agree with Anakin, a strong dictatorship is truly the best form of government, but only if the dictator agrees with everything that I believe and shares all my values.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I love democracy. I love the republic.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

which actual democracy that exists in 2016 is the best one for showing off how good and cool democracy can be?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Earwicker posted:

which actual democracy that exists in 2016 is the best one for showing off how good and cool democracy can be?

I don't know, what do you think is cool? Switzerland probably has the most elements of direct democracy that I know of, and it's fairly responsive to the electorate as a result. It's a prosperous, safe country in the heart of Western Europe; it's also racist as poo poo and run by old people terrified of minarets (just like everywhere else). The various Scandinavian social democracies are pretty good, even though they're all :siren:constitutional monarchies:siren: which doesn't really prevent you from being a democracy and there's an argument to be made that it channels weird nationalism away from the actual levers of power. The US shows that a democracy can achieve great power and wealth, and can even deal with things like civil wars without collapsing, but it's abstracted the actual decision-making away from the electorate a layer or two and has some structural problems endemic to the system. And I hear some nice-ish things about Tunisia, even though every other country that took part in the Arab Spring has gone to hell in a handbasket. Take your pick I guess.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Earwicker posted:

Serioustpost:

None. Every nominally democratic nation has some form of ancestral division of powers and legislative parliamentarism with significant historical inertia - the core of our systems of government are built on hundred-years old ideas of democracy and legitimacy of rule through the popular vote.

While the systems have been refined over the years (no longer need to own land, be male and non-black etc.), the central concept of a representative democracy has endured. The problem almost every nation faces is a direct consequence of this; democratic representatives are not - nor have they ever been - a true representation of the will of the people, which ostensibly is the only place the legitimacy of the entire state machinery is derived.

And how could they be representative? They are vulnerable to peer pressure, personal and other financial pressure, normal psychological mechanisms associated with your "in-group" or the otherisation of voters and the general public (the nobility syndrome), political pressure and re-election and personal bias. And plain stupidity or lack of insight/training/experience or education.

This system has generated an upper class of politicians, with their own set of morals and methods. They have a huge impact on our society as a whole, but they are largely unregulated (they are the regulators after all) and often times above the law and legal consequence. They also profit personally from this "career choice". This "career politician" is complete anathema to the ideal of a public servant, which is likely part of the reason why the people as a whole really really hate politicians of any sort. But what can you do? After all, the people in charge to change the system are the same ones who profit from it.

I don't think there's been many well-published suggestions or political texts (books like Das Kapital and other manifestos) proposing complete systemic reform of democracy (though I could be wrong about this and I just missed the memo). I guess that's because democracy is sort of a sacred thing now, and any deviation from the tradition is automatically assumed to lead to fascism or worse. Don't know how true that is either.

The famous quote from Churchill goes "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" or something to that effect, and it makes a good point. A democracy is only as good as the average voter. The later years of greater average intelligence and more education should make one hopeful in that respect, though the spreading of ideas through the internet in viral fashions has given every terrible idea and impulse a soapbox these days, eroding a lot of basic common sense and good that I assume existed in earlier public debate on issues.

I'd like to see proposals to reform democracy to take into account the inherent weaknesses of the system, particulary the elimination of "career politicians". Not that I think that would happen without drat near a revolution.

Now returning to your regularly scheduled shitposts, thanks for reading.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goku

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Turn around the question, and ask what dictatorship is a good role model. People go way loving overboard over problems in US, there are problems sure, but compared to the rest of the world there's no comparison. The only countries that compete are also democratic. The problems that do exist are from a lack of democratic control, e.g.- the market screwing people and then buying off politicians.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Homework Explainer posted:

dictatorship of the ruling class isn't truly democratic in the least

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

The great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department, consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means and personal motives to resist encroachments of the others. The provision for defense must in this, as in all other cases, be made commensurate to the danger of attack. Ambition must be made to counteract ambition. The interest of the man must be connected with the constitutional rights of the place. It may be a reflection on human nature, that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government. But what is government itself, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were goku, no government would be necessary. If goku were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if you've been weaned on a diet of liberal democracy all your life this will sound counter-intuitive but the single-party democracies of cuba, china, etc., paired with their systems of worker control and input probably result in more individual influence in daily life than any of the countries we consider the "freest."

it's easy to call those places "dictatorships" and handwave away their constitutions, their systems of government, the whole apparatus of workers' power. it's a lot harder to examine these places as they are and analyze from that plane instead of "oogah boogah scary tyrantmen"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you said you weren't taking the bait

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i am but a man, given to folly and error like all others

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the problem with democracy is that The People are awful

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Homework Explainer posted:

if you've been weaned on a diet of liberal democracy all your life this will sound counter-intuitive but the single-party democracies of cuba, china, etc., paired with their systems of worker control and input probably result in more individual influence in daily life than any of the countries we consider the "freest."

it's easy to call those places "dictatorships" and handwave away their constitutions, their systems of government, the whole apparatus of workers' power. it's a lot harder to examine these places as they are and analyze from that plane instead of "oogah boogah scary tyrantmen"

nice meltdown :twisted:

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

PleasingFungus posted:

the problem with democracy is that The People are awful

Hold on, Nobody seconded this motion. I call for a vote to strike this statement from the charter. All in favor say aye and raise your Post-Badge in the air.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is the alternative being ruled by benevolent tyrant Reinhard von Lohengramm?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Hold on, Nobody seconded this motion. I call for a vote to strike this statement from the charter. All in favor say aye and raise your Post-Badge in the air.

*cups hands around mouth, repeats this verbatim to 'human microphone' it to the people standing slightly behind me, who repeat it to the cluster behind them, the whole process adding 30 minutes to any simple procedural action that could've taken 20 seconds with a proper P.A. system*

This is what democracy looks like! This is what democracy looks like!

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

*cups hands around mouth, repeats this verbatim to 'human microphone' it to the people standing slightly behind me, who repeat it to the cluster behind them, the whole process adding 30 minutes to any simple procedural action that could've taken 20 seconds with a proper P.A. system*

This is what democracy looks like! This is what democracy looks like!

lmbo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But for realsies Homework Explainer, you're being naive. The CCP has 0 input or accountability from workers, it's an oligarchy plain and simple. It rules through a campaign of suppression and fear, hides what's inconvenient. An example: The truth about how bad soil safety is in China is considered a state secret, even as it is suspected that 1/6 of Chinese farmland has excessive levels of heavy metals. The polluters are obvious, but none will face punishment, because they're tied to local officials. Protests are, naturally, out of the question, because it is China.

Compare that with the reaction to flint, and you see the difference. Liberal democracies, as flawed as they are, are capable of adapting to crises. China can't, because any popular action is automatically interpreted as an existential threat to the CCP itself. It can't leave any opportunity for political change, and so cannot adapt. It will run off a loving cliff if that lets the system of bribes work one second longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

• Locked thread