Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Finally beat the last boss in Kirby Quest. Now all that's left is the True Arena. Also rather sad they didn't include the Computer Virus boss in it, even if they did reference it in the level up screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

The only stickers you ever need are Rick and Rick Block. Since they face opposite directions, have them on each arm and they will always be facing forward. God bless.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Adeline and the doodles disagree

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Bandana Dee on one arm, Sailor Dee on the other.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://vine.co/v/5zTe9WY19eU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gooey is merely leveraging excess nutrients from foodstuffs he picked up onto Kirby to keep both of their vitality levels up.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008
What does StreetPass do in this game? I see the green dot next to code cubes sometimes, but other than that I haven't noticed any actual function... I'm only up to world 5, if that makes any difference.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

EndTask posted:

What does StreetPass do in this game? I see the green dot next to code cubes sometimes, but other than that I haven't noticed any actual function... I'm only up to world 5, if that makes any difference.

They give you better items from Bandana Dee.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Also you can exchange Arena/True Arena times with other people who've beaten them and get to see if they have the amiibo icon of shame next to their time as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kind of a shame UFO isn't available in the Arenas, even after 100%ing the game so you're forced to use the amiibo to even get access to it. On the other hand, that could have been intentional. UFO utterly shreds most bosses with the fully charged shot. (Dubior will still screw you up if you can't kill it quickly. :argh:) Thiugh it's a shame Smash also isn't available. It's not as ridiculous as UFO.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have no idea why Smash isn't accessible. There's no way it's as broken as good ol Archer, or PSI.

I guess because it's got the Stone invulnerability but also other really good attacks, they thought it'd be too good? :confused:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I have no idea why Smash isn't accessible. There's no way it's as broken as good ol Archer, or PSI.

I guess because it's got the Stone invulnerability but also other really good attacks, they thought it'd be too good? :confused:

Though it's still weird you can't get it in the Arenas seeing as it's available via the Ability Testing Room you unlock after beating the game (I think UFO shows up there as well but only after completing the game 100%).

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Just got to the last boss and I want to echo the 'holy poo poo' sentiment that everyone else had.

Not sure if this edges out SSU as my favorite or the best but I can't imagine them making a better Kirby game after this.

I hope they do. I believe in them.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Did you clear Meta Knightmare and True Arena yet? If not, that final battle goes even further.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aside from the 3d Rumble mini-game and maybe Air Ride why is it there has never been a proper 3D Kirby game? It seems odd that out of all of Nintendo's long-running franchises (or most active game franchises in general for that matter), Kirby is the only one that never truly made the jump.

Not that I'm complaining as I love the Kirby games and this one in particular might be next to Super Star as far as favorite games go but still it might be an interesting experiment for them to try some day.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 5, 2016

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Larryb posted:

Aside from the 3d Rumble mini-game and maybe Air Ride why is it there has never been a proper 3D Kirby game? It seems odd that out of all of Nintendo's long-running franchises (or most active game franchises in general for that matter), Kirby is the only one that never truly made the jump.

Not that I'm complaining as I love the Kirby games and this one in particular might be next to Super Star as far as favorite games go but still it might be an interesting experiment for them to try some day.

They actually did try to make one for the Gamecube, but it ended up getting cancelled.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SilverSupernova posted:

They actually did try to make one for the Gamecube, but it ended up getting cancelled.

Yeah I remember seeing screenshots of that, it could be neat if they tried it again one day though (although they'd probably have to put a time limit on Kirby's flight ability like they did in 64 as otherwise it seems like that would be pretty game-breaking in a 3D environment).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 5, 2016

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

would it? i don't think it would be anymore game breaking than it already is in the 2d games. they just encourage you not to abuse it by making your other movement options much faster and more fun. a height limit would be required for any stages without ceilings but that's it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HAL said in interviews that they were interesting in making a 3D Kirby. I believe they said that the whole foreground and background thing introduced in Triple Deluxe was a step closer to that. 3D Rumble seems to be a basic engine for a 3D Kirby. Flight time is limited in that subgame, despite the fact that you really don't need it there. And you can swallow enemies. Which has absolutely no use in 3D Rumble, as that pretty much breaks your combo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Only problem I see with infinite flight in a 3D game is going so high you can no longer see a shadow on the ground leading to a lot of blind falls etc. It would have to be like Kirby 3D rumble's camera angle all the time or 64's limited flight I imagine.

Like play city trial without a star in Air Ride and imagine that but with actual levels and hazards and it becomes a issue.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The fact that parts of HAL spent years prototyping and testing concepts for a fully-3D Kirby experience and nothing tangible ever came out of those ventures leads me to believe that a "Kirby in a 3D world with no boundaries" game [i]could[i] exist and work to a point; but it would always have the problem of some/many players feeling like it "Just wasn't Kirby" no matter what they tried. Like how there's probably a good chunk of Metroid prototypes with an open world from the N64 days locked in a vault we'll never see that never went farther than simple concepts for the same reason.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008
Just beat Meta Knightmare... and feel like I need to play a shitload of old Kirby games to appreciate the lore. Only played Kirby Superstar (SNES) back in the day, so only a few references were obvious to me. Man this game is good...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just beat the story mode and this is easily the second best Kirby game ever.

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008
echoing the bs insta kill on the True Arena final boss, at the same time though... well played HAL, I was expecting some sort of last hit so I sat there in Stone form...

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Is the instakill the final attack it does? I think I got lucky because I missed the first portion of it since I was floating at the top of the screen.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Planet Robobot actually nerfed attacks that give you invincibility. In Triple Deluxe, attacks or obstacles that could splat Kirby against the screen couldn't pierce invincibility frames. They can in Planet Robobot. There's only one boss in Planet Robobot that has such an attack, and that's Star Dream OS' final phase. Knowing about that nerf probably would have saved players some grief in the True Arena.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Going off topic, but the Kirby series is (sadly) too small to sustain a topic so i'll just post here.

I've been inspired to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 for the first time ever thanks to Robobot. Not that there were many overt Dreamland references or anything, I've just had Kirby on the mind. I never actually beat, or played much at all, any of the Dreamland games (including 64, the honorary last Dreamland game), so this is a pretty fresh experience for me. I decided to do KDL3 because I thought that 2 might have aged kinda badly, and I wasn't really in the mood for grappling with old platformer design choices.

KDL3 is amazing. I'm two worlds in, and everything about it owns. It looks amazing, the soundtrack is some of SNES' best, and most unexpectedly for me, it's not stupid easy. I'd kind of forgotten all about how the earlier Kirbs actually dared to pose a challenge sometimes. It's not too hard or anything, but I've actually died more than once on just some normal-rear end levels. The level designs aren't even anything too tough, but hey, turns out when copy abilities don't have attacks in every direction, invincible dashes, and OP guards, suddenly you need to actually watch out for yourself.

I'm totally playing 64 after this (and maybe KDL2 if someone can convince me), and I really recommend anyone interested in the series after Robobot to try KDL3. It barely shows its age.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
KDL3 is still my favorite Kirby game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For anyone looking to check those games out, do note that the Dark Matter trilogy (Dreamland 1 was directed by Sakurai instead of Shimomura, who directed said trilogy, and is pretty fast paced) are slower paced than most of the other Kirby games, and have more of an emphasis on puzzles than action.

On the topic of difficulty, I think a big part of why the newer Kirby games aren't that dangerous is because Kirby has built in damage scaling. The lower his HP is, the less damage he takes. (I don't know if Super Star or Squeak Squad had this, but it's something that's been in every Kirby game from Returns to Dream Land onward.) Also Planet Robobot has a random drop system in that enemies have a chance of dropping food whenever Kirby's low on HP. (Doesn't happen in the Arenas.) So the odds are really stacked in the player's favor there, where in the earlier Kirby games, you could only take 6 hits before dying. The newer games would probably be a lot harder if you could only take 6 hits, especially in the boss fights.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Only thing I don't enjoy as much about DL3 is that getting some of the required secret stuff for unlocking the final zone can be a bit of a hassle, particularly some of the more bullshit minigames. It's nothing impossible though.

Dream Land 2 is still an excellent game , and very similar to DL3 with some of the same problems with hidden stuff. Definitely play it if you can to get the full Dark Matter experience.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackheart posted:

Only thing I don't enjoy as much about DL3 is that getting some of the required secret stuff for unlocking the final zone can be a bit of a hassle, particularly some of the more bullshit minigames. It's nothing impossible though.

Dream Land 2 is still an excellent game , and very similar to DL3 with some of the same problems with hidden stuff. Definitely play it if you can to get the full Dark Matter experience.

Get it on your Wii U and abuse restore points, it's what they were made for. There are a lot of weird obscure secrets in the game but at least you actually knew what was and what wasn't a secret, unlike Crystal Shards at times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Get it on your Wii U and abuse restore points, it's what they were made for. There are a lot of weird obscure secrets in the game but at least you actually knew what was and what wasn't a secret, unlike Crystal Shards at times.

The sun floor in 6-3 utterly stumped me as a kid. It looked like a natural part of the level! :argh:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always thought Crystal Shards was way, way easier to 100% than the rest when it comes to hidden shards. As for the bosses Even 02 is sadly way too easy to cheese, during boss rush if you get past Miracle Matter you're basically done.

Triple Deluxe and Robobot have well hidden stuff that's not -too- hard to find yet still manages to feel very rewarding. It's a very good balance.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dreamland 3 is good because it has Batamon.

Spend all game going "What the heck is the deal with that guy?" then you find a secret room with like seven of them and one of them finally within your grasp and he doesn't even have a power

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dreamland 2 is also good because it has the best Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright battle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://vine.co/v/57Pblzmh50b

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Amppelix posted:

Going off topic, but the Kirby series is (sadly) too small to sustain a topic so i'll just post here.

I've been inspired to play Kirby's Dreamland 3 for the first time ever thanks to Robobot. Not that there were many overt Dreamland references or anything, I've just had Kirby on the mind. I never actually beat, or played much at all, any of the Dreamland games (including 64, the honorary last Dreamland game), so this is a pretty fresh experience for me. I decided to do KDL3 because I thought that 2 might have aged kinda badly, and I wasn't really in the mood for grappling with old platformer design choices.

KDL3 is amazing. I'm two worlds in, and everything about it owns. It looks amazing, the soundtrack is some of SNES' best, and most unexpectedly for me, it's not stupid easy. I'd kind of forgotten all about how the earlier Kirbs actually dared to pose a challenge sometimes. It's not too hard or anything, but I've actually died more than once on just some normal-rear end levels. The level designs aren't even anything too tough, but hey, turns out when copy abilities don't have attacks in every direction, invincible dashes, and OP guards, suddenly you need to actually watch out for yourself.

I'm totally playing 64 after this (and maybe KDL2 if someone can convince me), and I really recommend anyone interested in the series after Robobot to try KDL3. It barely shows its age.

Dreamland 2 has aged super well actually.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Getting back to the game in the topic title, and speaking of Dream Land 2, I just noticed that in Robobot, Dark Matter is wielding the Rainbow Sword.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SilverSupernova posted:

Getting back to the game in the topic title, and speaking of Dream Land 2, I just noticed that in Robobot, Dark Matter is wielding the Rainbow Sword.

The cutscene with him is the rainbow thief so who knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Japan got a demo for this game today, PAL-land's getting it tomorrow.

• Locked thread