Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Speaking of pause menu fluff, does anyone know what the fluff is referring to when you fight the Holo-Ice Dragon 2.0 and it mentions dragons being extinct except for a sleeping dragon in a cave on a far off island? That seemed way oddly specific but I can't pinpoint what it's referring to.

It's a reference to the real Ice Dragon in Kirby's Dreamland 2, where it's fought in a cave. Though considering that they made an entirely new design for its 2.0 version, it could also be a little hint for something in the future. Maybe.

AdmiralViscen posted:

What is the criteria for unlocking the bonus levels? I did it in the first world but not the second. Is it because I missed two cubes on 2-4?

Yes, getting all the Code Cubes unlocks the bonus levels.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Superstar will always be the best Kirby game because it's the only one with the helper system.

This guy gets it. Until they bring back Helpers and also Yo-Yo, they can never surpass Super Star.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

EclecticTastes posted:

This guy gets it. Until they bring back Helpers and also Yo-Yo, they can never surpass Super Star.

Listen, bringing back Mirror is what is most important here

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I always thought that Super Star was beaten by Returns and just about every mainline game after it. I still love playing super star and not saying anything about it but the other stuff just feels better to me, I like expanded movesets for powers and the bosses are unquestionably better in these later games.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I never grew up with Super Star but when I played Ultra on the DS I actually wasn't too fond of how the game was segmented into different sub-games. Like yeah, it gives the game a lot of variety, but I always thought it made the game feel disjointed as a result.

Adventure/NiDL and Air Ride are my top Kirby games, but Robobot is fantastic enough that it's a close third.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
We have enough "reformed delinquent antagonists" to make another Return to Dream Land at this point but with Magalor, Taranza and Susie instead of Kirby's usual pals.

I don't know what exactly you'd be doing, or why you'd be playing as them instead of the usual cast.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.
Holy crap, I was about to post on here to ask if anyone knew how to get 5-3's second code cube and then I just wandered upon how to get it completely on accident and it was the most adorable thing. :3:

I do have a question regarding the wheel mode robobot though, how exactly does the speed burst work? The moveset says to press b and a but it never seems to do anything.

Blaine the Train fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 12, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Did you know wheel mode can double jump? I didn't.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

We have enough "reformed delinquent antagonists" to make another Return to Dream Land at this point but with Magalor, Taranza and Susie instead of Kirby's usual pals.

I don't know what exactly you'd be doing, or why you'd be playing as them instead of the usual cast.

I'm not actually sure if Susie is reformed considering she's a complete and utter monster who killed her own dad with literally no regrets in that regard.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I've been waiting so long for this. I was really disappointed by Triple Deluxe so I decided to watch a bit of Robobot when it came out in Japan to see if it was actually any better and then I ended up watching significant chunks of the game and it's been hell to wait on this. I'm getting the same sort of feelings I got when Return to Dream Land came out and it was just so mechanically perfect and satisfying and fun and a return to form, except this isn't a return to form as much as a fun step forward. The robot is the best super-power they've done so far and a lot more satisfying (and far less tedious!) than the super abilities or hypernova were.

I also like that they added a more hefty story than we're used to with Kirby. Not so much that it'd be intrusive, but it's enough that it really adds to the game's feel. It's very fun and feels like one of those slightly-too-self-serious episodes of the Kirby anime. You can tell the scenario writer had a hell of a time. I also appreciate all the little lore nuggs they tossed in there for fun.

I hope the next Kirby game is finally the one they bring back animal friends--it'd be the logical next step from from the robot suit!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can the Robobot armor be considered a animal buddy.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can the Robobot armor be considered a animal buddy.

I'd say so.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, as a note on the final boss: the clock you fight at the end isn't Nova. Return to Dreamland's trivia actually notes there are tons of those giant clocks around, Nova was just one of many. Actually, the one in this game seems to be inferior in that while Nova ran on Star Essences or whatever those things you collected were, this one runs on life energy.

Yeah, filling in the blanks, Haltmann studied Galactic Novas with the intention of building one of his own so he could wish his daughter back to life.

This one did about as good of a job at fulfilling that wish as the one from Super Star.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

nerdbot posted:

I'd say so.

Yeah, filling in the blanks, Haltmann studied Galactic Novas with the intention of building one of his own so he could wish his daughter back to life.

This one did about as good of a job at fulfilling that wish as the one from Super Star.

It's implied it went down like this -

Haltmann finds the stars and begins studying them because think about the money to be made- in a attempt to power one up his daughter gets zapped and sent to Another Dimension (Returns to Dreamland's finale and bonus zones). Haltmann doesn't know what happens to her and assumes she's dead from his tinkering so he shuts down the project and begins to try to find a way to get her back. He eventually hits his breaking point and reactivates the Star Dream that zapped her and begs it to bring Susie back to life.

Star Dream tells him that it can't bring her back to life (but doesn't mention it's because she isn't dead) and Haltmann loses it.

Return to Dreamland happens and the rift to Another Dimension is opened and Susie gets spat out- she returns home but Haltmann's too far gone in his obsession with work to realize it's her so she plans to sabotage Star Dream while acting as secretary, it'll teach him a lesson alright. Then Robobot happens and Haltmann dies and gets his soul erased never knowing his daughter was in front of him the whole time.

Putting pieces together from pause screen text is fun :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 12, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending spoilers (and true arena) but I do find the pause menu fluff genuinely kind of disturbing to think about.

When fighting Star Dream OS it states that there's .01 of Haltmann's soul messing with it trying to stop it. By the end of the fight in it's final form it just casually mentions that it's deleted his soul and life entirely now and you can actually hear him scream when you bust the heart. It's actually kind of hosed up.

If you listen closely, you can actually hear Haltmann scream every time you take out a pillar. Star Dream didn't delete Haltmann's soul. Kirby did.

nerdbot posted:

I hope the next Kirby game is finally the one they bring back animal friends--it'd be the logical next step from from the robot suit!

It would be interesting, but they would probably have to bring back the one power per ability formula if they don't want to have to design separate skillsets for every possibly ability/animal combination. Even then, it would probably be limited to the original 3 if they try to keep around 20+ powers like they did in the more recent games.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's implied it went down like this -

Haltmann finds the stars and begins studying them because think about the money to be made- in a attempt to power one up his daughter gets zapped and sent to Another Dimension (Returns to Dreamland's finale and bonus zones). Haltmann doesn't know what happens to her and assumes she's dead from his tinkering so he shuts down the project and begins to try to find a way to get her back. He eventually hits his breaking point and reactivates the Star Dream that zapped her and begs it to bring Susie back to life.

Star Dream tells him that it can't bring her back to life (but doesn't mention it's because she isn't dead) and Haltmann loses it.

Return to Dreamland happens and the rift to Another Dimension is opened and Susie gets spat out- she returns home but Haltmann's too far gone in his obsession with work to realize it's her so she plans to sabotage Star Dream while acting as secretary, it'll teach him a lesson alright. Then Robobot happens and Haltmann dies and gets his soul erased never knowing his daughter was in front of him the whole time.

Putting pieces together from pause screen text is fun :v:

I was about to ask where you drew the conclusion about Another Dimension from, but then I remembered the Holo Doomers' 2.0. description. Which does raise an interesting point.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Security Drones you fight throughout Chapter 6 have the same attack pattern as the boss from Egg Engine right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Security Drones you fight throughout Chapter 6 have the same attack pattern as the boss from Egg Engine right?

Pretty much yeah

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'd honestly never played a Kirby game before until this one as it seemed like a pretty lame game series to me but, I have to say I am quite enjoying Planet Robobot quite a bit, I'm currently about half way through the Meta Knightmare mode having finished the story mode earlier, the final boss was pretty good though, way better than what I usually see in Nintendo games.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Does the Robobot get forms for every Copy ability or just certain ones?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Just certain ones. But you'd never really know it unless you asked.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ometeotl posted:

There's a handful of powers you can use. Enemies with other abilities don't appear during Robobot sections, so it feels less contrived, at least.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Still not 100% sure if this is better than triple deluxe, but it's at least as good. Which is nice because both are already almost perfect like King Dedede.

drat, there's a part of this game that is a better Star Fox than Star Fox.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, it turns out the instant kill move the true final boss has actually technically isn't an instant kill! It only kills you if you don't have full HP. :v:

I've 100%ed Planet Robobot. I'm just gonna say that this is by far the best Kirby game to date. The Robobot is really nicely implemented and is a much better super mode than the Super Abilities and Hypernova. Also I like how the game contains a lot less ability puzzles, so you can play how you want. And if there is one, there's an enemy or copy essence nearby so you don't have to worry about copying a miniboss. The boss fights are probably the best in the series.

I would have to say my favorite ability in this game is Poison. I love setting up DOT traps for bosses while whittling away at them with my Up + B. (Yeah I know it's a poor man's Water. :v:)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2016

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

[quote="Dr. Fetus" post=""460946694"]
It would be interesting, but they would probably have to bring back the one power per ability formula if they don't want to have to design separate skillsets for every possibly ability/animal combination. Even then, it would probably be limited to the original 3 if they try to keep around 20+ powers like they did in the more recent games.
[/quote]

I feel if they keep it like they handled the Robobot it would be very doable and fun.

Honestly, as much as I love the animal friends they sucked to actually use. The Robobot feels like a modern, streamlined take on them. The animal friends trade off your versatility and easy mobility for puzzlesolving ability. Similarly, with the Robobot you move a bit slower and can't float, and instead of many versatile attacks you get just one really big and satisfying attack you can use to solve rooms.

The thing they did better is, there's no "I need this friend and this power from another level and then I take them through an autoscroll section to open a door at the end," you just either get the Robobot when you need it, or the Robobot is a reward itself for solving stuff.

If they did the animal friends like this (one big strong power with utility vs. a variety of moves, they just show up in the levels as needed and feel like a natural thing the game is built around) I feel like it could be a fun and natural progression forward from here.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Oh my god the waddle dees follow traffic laws. :3:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ometeotl posted:

Its about half, most of the staple ones have it.

Wheel, Jet, Cutter, sword, spark, fire, ice, esp, Mic, bomb, stone

So none of the more esoteric ones like Smash, Circus, Poison, or arrow have it.

I think the only really disappointing omission is hammer.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

exploding mummy posted:

I think the only really disappointing omission is hammer.

Indeed.

Edit:And Fighter would just be Master Asia 's moveset,no further revision needed.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 13, 2016

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The music in this game is incredibly powerful but I think Moonlight Capital is still the stronger final stage music... for now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So I've beaten Meta Knightmare Returns, game owns, this story poo poo is bananas, Return to Dreamland's multiplayer was better than Super Star's (and so was Dreamland 3's,) if I don't get to hear a remix of Heart of Nova in the True Arena I'm suing Kumazaki.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I definitely appreciate the fact that you don't need to squirrel away power ups for a future secret area. I never enjoyed getting those secrets and largely didn't bother. Having the item you need right there is just fine.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

alcharagia posted:

So I've beaten Meta Knightmare Returns, game owns, this story poo poo is bananas, Return to Dreamland's multiplayer was better than Super Star's (and so was Dreamland 3's,) if I don't get to hear a remix of Heart of Nova in the True Arena I'm suing Kumazaki.

Keep us posted :allears:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Wow, Ice gives you an infinite guard with no chip damage. Is that new? Suddenly Ice is an awesome choice for True Arena.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rocketlex posted:

Wow, Ice gives you an infinite guard with no chip damage. Is that new? Suddenly Ice is an awesome choice for True Arena.

Ice has always had it. Ice did get massively buffed though due to how boss i-frames work now. Also it's new bowling ball move owns.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ice Ball isn't new. Ice was one of the best abilities in Triple Deluxe. Actually it was beast in Return to Dreamland t- Actually it- Ice loving owns

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

It's also one of the highest DPS powers in the game, as this True Arena speedrun shows. (Don't bother with that tactic in Triple Deluxe. Planet Robobot's bosses no longer have invincibility frames, which is why this is possible.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the only reason ice wasn't the best in triple deluxe is because beetle existed. now that it's gone in robobot, it can take its proud position of second best power behind the impossibly good and cool jet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

alcharagia posted:

Ice Ball isn't new. Ice was one of the best abilities in Triple Deluxe. Actually it was beast in Return to Dreamland t- Actually it- Ice loving owns

Egg on my face, Ice and Fire are abilities I rarely ever touched in the past unless it was a obligatory fuse puzzle. I picked up ice in robobot after hearing how good it was now and noticed Ice Ball and was like "wow they added a new move for it!"

Me and a couple friends who've done numerous runs of Triple Deluxe all thought that it was a new attack :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
basically any power that changes kirby's movement, whether vertical or horizontal, is Good poo poo to the max unless it's garbo Metal from Squeak Squad

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Another really fun bit of Kirby lore: This game heavily implies that Galacta Knight has been experiencing your fights with him in reverse order. When he's summoned in Meta Knightmare Returns, he is for once not encased in crystal. He was just tooling around somewhere until Star Dream pulled him over. But after losing, he gets sealed and chucked into a void... and as it turns out, across time. Since the fight with him in Meta Knightmare Ultra ends with him exploding, presumably the order of events was Planet Robobot > Return to Dreamland > Super Star Ultra.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

alcharagia posted:

basically any power that changes kirby's movement, whether vertical or horizontal, is Good poo poo to the max unless it's garbo Metal from Squeak Squad

poison is a pretty nice addition in this regard

enemies take chip damage if they stand on a poisoned spot

you do get invincibility frames on the dash

you can poison areas to gently caress with enemies zooming in and out of the plane

plus mashing B basically nets you a melee finisher if you're near an opponent, and can easily KO bosses in two or three goes

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I love that Kirby of all series is one where you can have a serious discussion about invincibility frames and DPS. Like you've got fighting games, the Dark Souls series, and then also Kirby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Had my first attempt at True Arena with Mirror. It can reflect some pretty wacky stuff back at the attackers, like Holo-Kracko's lightning beams and the flamethrower from the D3 Cannon. I still was out of practice so I made it past the second-to-last boss with a sliver of health, and the healing from the Final Pep Bottle was only enough to carry me through the first phase of the final battle. Sectonia Clone in particular is a bit of a rough nut to crack, despite me technically having experience with it. Guess I'm just missing Beetle.

• Locked thread