Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm only able to post about how great the new Kirby is because my 3DS needed to charge. This game combines my two great loves, Kirby and giant robots. I'm really enjoying the Robobot more than previous super modes for Kirby, because it's integrated more fluidly into the levels, rather than just turning part of a level into a big gimmick section (well, aside from the Jet and Wheel Mode levels, but they're special cases and also they own). Also, the soundtrack is incredible, I'm loving the remixes that are sprinkled across the different levels. While Dream Land 3 and 64 are far from my favorite entries, gameplay-wise (I've always preferred the faster style from Super Star), I love their soundtracks, so I'm glad to hear a lot of remixes from them in Planet Robobot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Incredible. Somehow Kirby of all the games has pulled off a drat excellent plot twist, and by far the most blatant connection between games outside of Paintra being Drawcia's sister. Still curious how it all links up, though. Definitely don't look at this spoiler until you've beaten the game, in case you're the kind of person who might be tempted. Does Star Dream become Nova after this, somehow, or did Haltmann just build it from the remaining debris sometime after the defeat of Marx Soul? I'm leaning toward the former, though I suppose the True Arena might clear things up a little.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Remember how I said all games are connected? Spoilers

Him and Marx apparently knew that there's a ton of them, Star Dream is just one of them.

Well, I was aware of that connection, but given that Star Dream summons the very same items that are embedded in Nova's face, it doesn't seem likely that it's a mere coincidence. My pet theory is that by the end of all this, it'll turn out that all the magic that turned the various recent villains into Soul bosses (Drawcia, Magolor, Sectonia, Marx, and I'm gonna assume Star Dream/Nova) ends up combining along with some fraction of the hosts' actual souls to form Zero, at which point they go take over the Dark Matter and kick off the events of Dream Land 2 or 3 (the Dark Matter from 2 may not have been under Zero's control at the time).

Jesus, the more I think about Kirby's lore, the more I notice that Kirby actually has a ton of lore.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There's a lot more you'll learn about doing meta knights stuff. Kirby lore is real and shockingly powerful.

This is true, but easy to forget in all the bright colors and excellent, breezy gameplay. I mean, I've been playing Kirby since I was three years old, Dream Land was the first video game I ever laid hands on, and I still often fail to appreciate how deep the rabbit hole goes.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

One of the face buttons does this.

It's the X button. Does pose a slight inconvenience if you play a lot of Smash Bros., I find I occasionally go to jump and whoops gotta inhale that power star.

By the way, I've seen some praise for Poison (and rightly so), so I'm gonna give props to Doctor as a fun new power. The clipboard dash is interesting (you don't go through large enemies like most dash attacks, preventing you from stopping inside a boss and getting hit), the research lab is neat, and the pills are surprisingly useful, dealing respectable damage and staying onscreen a while, making them useful for bosses that move around a lot, especially if you're trying to keep your distance. My favorite part, though, is probably the very satisfying clicking sound the pills make when they bounce, it's just a really nice sound effect.

ESP's pretty good, too, though the moveset's a little small (and two moves require you to do some serious teching), and outside of the pretty rad dash attack, attacking with it leaves you immobile. Used right, though, ESP could end up alongside Stone as a power that people who aren't that good at video games can use to cheese their way to victory.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I just discovered one of the newly-added forms for Stone Kirby, and it's pretty great. Now he can turn into the true face of evil.

Turns out Haltmann Works Company must have taken out a loan from a certain unscrupulous racoon....

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Okay here's a small spoiler for anyone who makes it to the end of the True Arena because this is actually pretty bullshit. When you beat the final boss' last form, the waves it gives off are not just cutscene stuff, and are also an instant-kill that overrides Stone, so be sure to dodge them.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Hello everyone, I just beat the game, and it was good. Gonna do the bonus campaign eventually. The connection to past games makes me wonder about the big picture. Is there anything concrete that connects to other games besides the Dark Matter trilogy and the thingie (you know) in Triple Deluxe? Or is it all just speculation?

Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot seem to have the most concrete connections, but yeah, all this continuity stuff only started up with Return to Dreamland. Before that, only the Dark Matter trilogy had any sort of connection. It looks like Hal's planning to tie the series together, possibly due to their realization that a lot of fans are old enough to appreciate it, given how old the character is.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That's an interesting theory, but I think the timeline's a lot more complicated than that. Dream Land and Adventure definitely came first, but I believe that it's Amazing Mirror that happens next, and Return to Dream Land is what came right after that. Then Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot happen shortly afterwards, with Canvas Curse happening somewhere in that time, as well (before, during, or after). Not long after come the events of Revenge of Meta Knight (preceded by Dyna Blade), where after the failed alien invasion, Meta Knight decides that Popstar needs to militarize to fend off threats like that in the future, rather than rely on a flake like Kirby. After that comes Milky Way Wishes, where Marx tricks Kirby into tracking down Nova, the remains of Star Dream, while around the same time, Meta Knight uses it to have a rematch with Galacta Knight (GK being the strongest entity Nova knows). Marx ends up killed along with Nova, and like every previous villain up to that point besides Nightmare, becomes an insane revenant animated and warped by the magic of the device he messed with. After that comes the events of the Dark Matter Trilogy. Dark Matter invades Dream Land, attempting to use Dedede as a puppet ruler, and is defeated, but encounters the lost, angry, magic-infused souls of the previous villains, who have coalesced into into a force of pure hatred, Zero. It ends up infecting a portion of the Dark Matter, taking on its familiar giant eyeball form in the process, and eventually takes over entirely. Then it's destroyed in Dream Land 3, but like the beings it was formed from, Zero's full of too much ill-advised magic to die so easily, and its soul persists, continuing to control the Dark Matter, but what little sense of identity and purpose it had (such as hating Kirby, and by extension, Popstar) in Dream Land 3 was destroyed, leaving it with just the impulse to corrupt and/or destroy everything it can reach, which is what happens in 64. Then the rest of the series happens from there. Dark Nebula is the fused remains of the Dark Matter and 02, far weaker than they had been in 64, but still very dangerous. Also, some games with little connection to the rest of the series (Epic Yarn and Rainbow Curse, for exampe) could take place in-between a lot of stuff (though Rainbow Curse definitely happened sometime after Canvas Curse).

And this is assuming there's not LoZ-style timeline split coming somewhere down the line.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The GB quick view of it was pretty funny, Dan and Jeff askin if Kirby got his doctorate from the same med school as Dr Mario

Protip: Doctor Kirby makes every cutscene even better.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Robobot has pretty conclusive proof that it and Triple Deluxe come after the Dark Matter Trilogy (somewhat big spoilers) Seeing as Star Dream creates a clone of Dark Matter's swordsman form and all.

But yeah you can shuffle some stuff around and still make it work.

In theory, Dream Land 2 could come long before Dream Land 3, actually. I'm aware of the Dark Matter Clone, but like I said, I believe Dark Matter was independent at that point, and Zero didn't yet exist. So, its place along the timeline is quite flexible (whereas 64 almost certainly came very shortly after Dream Land 3).

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are there warps in Meta Knightmare Returns like there were in Dededetour?

There are not, but just about every section that features heavy Robobot use is cut from the sequence, so that's a lot of skipped game on its own.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah I just now finally got the last sticker and reached 100% completion, and good lord this is the new second-best Kirby game (I doubt they'll ever top Super Star, but topping perfection's not easy). Every little touch is amazing, start to finish, and even the little bonus subgames are a lot of fun.

By the way, what stickers is everyone going with for their robot suit? I went with the Pink Ball kanji on the right and Chuchu on the left. I was reminded of decals from old fighter planes more than Nascar, so it seemed amusing to include the closest thing to a girlfriend Kirby's been shown to have as decoration for his robot.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Started a True Arena run with leaf and got hit during Clanky Woods, in a attempt to get leaf back I inhaled and accidentally swallowed a boulder turning into Rock Kirby. Whooops.

Got to the true final boss and failed because the random power up roulette gave me cutter and apparently cutter just can't hit the final boss and I didn't say "screw it" till it was too late to actually fight back :argh:

I'm pretty sure Cutter can hit just fine as long as you jump. Though, I just used Stone because it's reliable and I wanted to 100% things quickly before really digging into the Arenas.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

HAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL! :argh: What the gently caress!? The true final boss has an last ditch instant kill move!? I was trying to abuse invincibility frames to get through that, but no! That wave move ignores invincibility frames!

Hey man I posted a spoiler earlier about that same thing specifically for people who were about to face it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Also, as a note on the final boss: the clock you fight at the end isn't Nova. Return to Dreamland's trivia actually notes there are tons of those giant clocks around, Nova was just one of many. Actually, the one in this game seems to be inferior in that while Nova ran on Star Essences or whatever those things you collected were, this one runs on life energy.

If it's not Nova, how do you explain why it summons Nova's signature accessories? Do all of these clockwork stars use the same weathervane, compass, spyglass, lightbulb, pocket watch with distinctively bent hands, and piano keys? Not to mention that it only gained its crown and bow (the bits at the top of a pocket watch, not headwear) after fusing with Star Dream, which Haltmann explicitly said he had created, and that it was that same supercomputer that had the power to grant wishes due to being built from an ancient wish-granting machine (possibly once a piece of Nova, or possibly any number of other things, given the disparate sources of his tech, but it's at least reasonable to assume that Novas can't normally grant wishes). I mean, the whole thing lines up as an origin story for Nova and its unusual appearance (the bric-a-brac covering it, why it looks like a giant pocket watch, and why it appears heavily damaged). As for why it needs a more potent energy source, well, you saw what Kirby did to it, it probably requires a ton more power to operate just because it's been so heavily damaged, and has to account for widespread system failures.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

My favorite thing about Kirby lore is how little any of it has to do with Kirby.

Much like Mad Max, The Man With No Name, and other such classic characters, Kirby is the main character of the story, and is the locus of action, but it's not so much his story as it is the story of those he interacts with. He's the force of change that tips the scales of a conflict, but he changes little himself in doing so. That he so often fails to view obvious threats with any sort of enmity, and seems at times perpetually confused by what's happening around him allows him to serve as a neutral lens through which to view the other characters, forming our own opinions, rather than being guided by the opinions of a traditional main character.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Superstar will always be the best Kirby game because it's the only one with the helper system.

This guy gets it. Until they bring back Helpers and also Yo-Yo, they can never surpass Super Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

Does the Robobot get forms for every Copy ability or just certain ones?

There's a handful of powers you can use. Enemies with other abilities don't appear during Robobot sections, so it feels less contrived, at least.

• Locked thread