Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I tried out the demo at a store, and I really like the Robobot Armor. A much better implemented super mode than Super Abilities and Hypernova. Looking forward to playing the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

From what I'm hearing, the game is just more Triple Deluxe. So if you're expecting a significant advancement from TD, don't.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The boss music is fantastic.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I hear that this game ignores subtleties and just spits out story now so that'll probably make connecting it to past games easier on literally insane people like me.

Picking up the game tomorrow and just excited to play another Kirby game tho

Ehh, not sure where you got that idea. This game seems to have just as much story as the past Kirby games. The difference between this game and those is that some of the boss fights just have cutscenes before they start, now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The boss fights in this game are really good. It looks like HAL learned from Triple Deluxe on that front. That game had good boss fights too, but some of those bosses (Pyribbit especially :argh:) had the problem of hanging out in the background too much, leaving you limited opportunities to damage them. There's a lot less of that downtime in Planet Robobot. Probably helps that some of those fights just take place in circular arenas.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 10, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Playing around, it looks like bosses no longer have invincibility frames like in RtD or TD. The result is that Ice is disgustingly broken! :catstare: Its midair attack hits multiple times, which only hits bosses once in TD. In Planet Robobot, it shreds them in a few seconds. I'm not sure if this out damages Hammer, though.

It looks like the change was to accommodate for Poison's DOTs, but they didn't bother nerfing other multi hit skills in the process. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 11, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wasn't expecting to like Team Kirby Clash as much as I did. I had more interest in 3D Rumble. It's decent, but a bit barebones. Hopefully they'll make a more fleshed out version, or maybe a whole game of 3D Kirby in the future.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo, the final boss! :supaburn:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Are there warps in Meta Knightmare Returns like there were in Dededetour?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SylvainMustach posted:

Somehow, and I'm not sure if this is just me, the water levels feel a bit tighter than Triple Deluxe. Maybe I'm imagining things or maybe you just don't swim as much, but it doesn't bog down the rhythm of the game like I felt it did in TD.

They gave Kirby a bit more weight than in Triple Deluxe, (he falls a lot faster) so that might have something to do with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

But, uh, what happens if he finishes counting down?

He launches a bunch of FATAL ERROR windows at you, which cover the entire screen. They'll kill you if you don't use the barrel roll to dodge through them, after which, Star Dream begins the countdown again.

Also, the True Arena in this game does not mess around. :catstare: You do not get a single Maximum Tomato at all in this. Or even a regular tomato!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL! :argh: What the gently caress!? The true final boss has an last ditch instant kill move!? I was trying to abuse invincibility frames to get through that, but no! That wave move ignores invincibility frames!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Can you cheese the Arena with amiibo? I imagine they just don't give you the food they normally do when you use them, but if I can use it infinitely, I imagine my Jigglypuff giving me Mike all the time could be pretty abusive.

They do. You can't use the same Amiibo more than once, though. And I think you're limited to 10 per level/in the arena or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

If it's not Nova, how do you explain why it summons Nova's signature accessories?

It's probably just a callback in that case. Hal loves throwing those out there in the more recent Kirby games.

So President Haltmann dies gets wiped from existence, never knowing that his daughter was alive the whole time. And Susie doesn't know that Haltmann is her father, on top of the fact that she played a big hand in his obliteration. Ouch. Never would have expected that in a Kirby game of all things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Speaking of pause menu fluff, does anyone know what the fluff is referring to when you fight the Holo-Ice Dragon 2.0 and it mentions dragons being extinct except for a sleeping dragon in a cave on a far off island? That seemed way oddly specific but I can't pinpoint what it's referring to.

It's a reference to the real Ice Dragon in Kirby's Dreamland 2, where it's fought in a cave. Though considering that they made an entirely new design for its 2.0 version, it could also be a little hint for something in the future. Maybe.

AdmiralViscen posted:

What is the criteria for unlocking the bonus levels? I did it in the first world but not the second. Is it because I missed two cubes on 2-4?

Yes, getting all the Code Cubes unlocks the bonus levels.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 12, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Ending spoilers (and true arena) but I do find the pause menu fluff genuinely kind of disturbing to think about.

When fighting Star Dream OS it states that there's .01 of Haltmann's soul messing with it trying to stop it. By the end of the fight in it's final form it just casually mentions that it's deleted his soul and life entirely now and you can actually hear him scream when you bust the heart. It's actually kind of hosed up.

If you listen closely, you can actually hear Haltmann scream every time you take out a pillar. Star Dream didn't delete Haltmann's soul. Kirby did.

nerdbot posted:

I hope the next Kirby game is finally the one they bring back animal friends--it'd be the logical next step from from the robot suit!

It would be interesting, but they would probably have to bring back the one power per ability formula if they don't want to have to design separate skillsets for every possibly ability/animal combination. Even then, it would probably be limited to the original 3 if they try to keep around 20+ powers like they did in the more recent games.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's implied it went down like this -

Haltmann finds the stars and begins studying them because think about the money to be made- in a attempt to power one up his daughter gets zapped and sent to Another Dimension (Returns to Dreamland's finale and bonus zones). Haltmann doesn't know what happens to her and assumes she's dead from his tinkering so he shuts down the project and begins to try to find a way to get her back. He eventually hits his breaking point and reactivates the Star Dream that zapped her and begs it to bring Susie back to life.

Star Dream tells him that it can't bring her back to life (but doesn't mention it's because she isn't dead) and Haltmann loses it.

Return to Dreamland happens and the rift to Another Dimension is opened and Susie gets spat out- she returns home but Haltmann's too far gone in his obsession with work to realize it's her so she plans to sabotage Star Dream while acting as secretary, it'll teach him a lesson alright. Then Robobot happens and Haltmann dies and gets his soul erased never knowing his daughter was in front of him the whole time.

Putting pieces together from pause screen text is fun :v:

I was about to ask where you drew the conclusion about Another Dimension from, but then I remembered the Holo Doomers' 2.0. description. Which does raise an interesting point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey, it turns out the instant kill move the true final boss has actually technically isn't an instant kill! It only kills you if you don't have full HP. :v:

I've 100%ed Planet Robobot. I'm just gonna say that this is by far the best Kirby game to date. The Robobot is really nicely implemented and is a much better super mode than the Super Abilities and Hypernova. Also I like how the game contains a lot less ability puzzles, so you can play how you want. And if there is one, there's an enemy or copy essence nearby so you don't have to worry about copying a miniboss. The boss fights are probably the best in the series.

I would have to say my favorite ability in this game is Poison. I love setting up DOT traps for bosses while whittling away at them with my Up + B. (Yeah I know it's a poor man's Water. :v:)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 12, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Wow, Ice gives you an infinite guard with no chip damage. Is that new? Suddenly Ice is an awesome choice for True Arena.

It's also one of the highest DPS powers in the game, as this True Arena speedrun shows. (Don't bother with that tactic in Triple Deluxe. Planet Robobot's bosses no longer have invincibility frames, which is why this is possible.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 13, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

I haven't unlocked it yet but out of curiousity, are there save points in the Meta Knight mode like there were in Dedede Tour or do you have to do it all in one sitting?

There are, don't worry. Also unlike Dedede Tour, the EX levels are tackled within their respective worlds instead of being packed all at the very end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Apparently Susie's line about teaching the old man a lesson was "wake him up" instead in the Japanese version. Her plan to drag Haltmann back from the deep end instead backfired horribly for the both of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It also turns out that Cutter also has a high amount of DPS if you really know how to use it, as this True Arena speedrun shows.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

So it's the third wave that instagibs? Cause I got hit by the first one and while it was a sizeable amount of damage, it was nothing a better healed me couldn't have dealed with. Last one got me though. Does it just hit through everything? You couldn't theoretically get hit by the second one and invulnerable through it or something? I just want to know since I was really proud of my last performance and don't want to screw up twice.

The waves deal all of Kirby's HP minus like one pixel. At least the third one does. It's not too hard to dodge. ESP's dash can avoid it. The invincibility frames from swallowing a copy ability can avoid it, since that has the absolute highest priority. Archer's crouch, Leaf Guard, and Stone will still get hit by it, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Larryb posted:

Is it even possible to get those abilities in the normal game without using an Amiibo?

Yes. Smash is hidden in a couple of levels while UFO can be obtained from the copy testing area when you achieve 100% completion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Bee posted:

I don't know about 100%, but I know I didn't see Smash despite it having a copy essence.

Smash and UFO are completely unobtainable in the arena without amiibo. You can't even obtain them from the random copy essences. On that note, Doctor's down + b will never produce a recovery potion in th arenas.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I've tried a no ability run of both arenas, and I have to say, it's pretty interesting just how intricately the bosses are designed in the more recent Kirby games. They're clearly designed around Kirby having to just wait to for opportunities to spit things back at them, but HAL lets players have their fun with abilities.

Holo Defense API pretty much becomes an entirely different fight since you're actually forced to deal with each bosses' attack patterns instead of being able to burst them down in a few seconds. The Holo Doomers are actually pretty nightmarish to deal with in the 2.0 fight.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Interesting little detail in one of the final boss fights. Those Susie bots Haltmann summons don't look quite like the Susie we see throughout the game. And note the angel wings.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

sharrrk posted:

hi. i beat true arena and i'm still at 98% and missing a cutscene. what am i forgetting

Did you complete the sub games? And did you also get every single sticker?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Senerio posted:

Question: where's the best stage to farm for the last 15 blue stickers I need?

1-4 if you have the Kirby series Kirby amiibo to get the UFO ability. It's still a good place to farm for stickers even if you don't have access to UFO, but getting through the stage will take longer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Is it me or does the final boss theme have a sound sample of Haltmann screaming in it?

The True Arena final boss? Because that's not in the song. It's what you hear every time you destroy a pillar.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kind of a shame UFO isn't available in the Arenas, even after 100%ing the game so you're forced to use the amiibo to even get access to it. On the other hand, that could have been intentional. UFO utterly shreds most bosses with the fully charged shot. (Dubior will still screw you up if you can't kill it quickly. :argh:) Thiugh it's a shame Smash also isn't available. It's not as ridiculous as UFO.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HAL said in interviews that they were interesting in making a 3D Kirby. I believe they said that the whole foreground and background thing introduced in Triple Deluxe was a step closer to that. 3D Rumble seems to be a basic engine for a 3D Kirby. Flight time is limited in that subgame, despite the fact that you really don't need it there. And you can swallow enemies. Which has absolutely no use in 3D Rumble, as that pretty much breaks your combo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Planet Robobot actually nerfed attacks that give you invincibility. In Triple Deluxe, attacks or obstacles that could splat Kirby against the screen couldn't pierce invincibility frames. They can in Planet Robobot. There's only one boss in Planet Robobot that has such an attack, and that's Star Dream OS' final phase. Knowing about that nerf probably would have saved players some grief in the True Arena.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For anyone looking to check those games out, do note that the Dark Matter trilogy (Dreamland 1 was directed by Sakurai instead of Shimomura, who directed said trilogy, and is pretty fast paced) are slower paced than most of the other Kirby games, and have more of an emphasis on puzzles than action.

On the topic of difficulty, I think a big part of why the newer Kirby games aren't that dangerous is because Kirby has built in damage scaling. The lower his HP is, the less damage he takes. (I don't know if Super Star or Squeak Squad had this, but it's something that's been in every Kirby game from Returns to Dream Land onward.) Also Planet Robobot has a random drop system in that enemies have a chance of dropping food whenever Kirby's low on HP. (Doesn't happen in the Arenas.) So the odds are really stacked in the player's favor there, where in the earlier Kirby games, you could only take 6 hits before dying. The newer games would probably be a lot harder if you could only take 6 hits, especially in the boss fights.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Get it on your Wii U and abuse restore points, it's what they were made for. There are a lot of weird obscure secrets in the game but at least you actually knew what was and what wasn't a secret, unlike Crystal Shards at times.

The sun floor in 6-3 utterly stumped me as a kid. It looked like a natural part of the level! :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Constr posted:

What's a good true arena ability that isn't too cheesy?

In what way?

Hammer can rip through the bosses pretty fast offensively. Though it can also cheese the true arena depending on what moves you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clouds only deal a 5th of the damage puddles do, so puddles are more damaging if the boss can even be hurt by them. Ideally if you're using Poison, you would want to have the boss standing in both, as damage instances from multiple clouds don't stack. Same with puddles, but puddle and cloud damage do stack together.

• Locked thread