Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well count me as one who got interested in the game from what I saw initially. Currently trying out a campaign run, loads of fun. Also, I was frustrated about the lack of vault cards, thought they were a random drop. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Finished my Expert run, after some abortive starts I settled on a team of Draco/Shalem 11. Ended up getting Nika/Internationale as my others, and yeah, Internationale's passive is definitely up there. Since she was my 4th, I ended up running her face along the walls in the start of missions to try to find hack targets.

Draco's passive allows for REALLY efficient leveling, since the cost is basically the charge pack for whatever gun you use. Basically requires a better gun if you want to level him early, so I combined him with Shalem so it'd be 200 cred per bullet rather than 400. Of course, the cost for like 4-5 level-ups ended up being free later on when I hacked some turrets. It was funny that Draco made it up to Shalem for basically stealing his gun early on by embarking on some ridiculous rescues in the late-game. Shalem in two different situations got shot and surrounded, and Draco with his 4 strength and the 6 AP when cloak and cloak with stim Augments extracted him while cloaked and dragging him 13 squares per round. It was hilarious to see him invisibly drag someone for longer distances than most people walk. I found that in the late-game I had to largely ghost missions anyways since the armor ramping got too high, especially with the daemons. But the money saved on upgrading Draco enabled me to basically max out everyone else.

But yeah I finished my run, would you guys recommend Expert Endless next or a campaign Expert Plus?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Finished my Expert Plus run and jesus CHRIST, the original Dr Xu is broken. Spammable EMP is unfair. Starting setup, Dr Xu, Archive Banks, Seed, Mercenary. Early game, opening the majority of safes without needing to hack means that the 3 free hacks is more than enough, so you can convert the consoles into cash as much as the cooldown is up. Level up hacking and suddenly the consoles give more money for missions than the safes do. The biggest problems with this start is Dr Xu's 7 AP and not having a 2nd Neural Disruptor to work with, but it basically ceases to matter when you are just swimming in credits.

Mid-late game, EMP off heart monitors then just shoot the guard to remove inconvenient guards. Works on most of the barrier shields too. I got Draco as my 4th, didn't actually want him, but he still maxed out first due to the consequence-free murder I could do :/.

Tried out Leash when you recommended it, yeah it basically makes those drone missions hilariously easy.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like Invisible Inc, and I think the design is overall great, but it kind of has a ton of weird little foibles like that. Another weird quirk is the inability to reload a gun while on the jet. I know it doesn't actually matter persay, but it's still odd.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Random thing, Dr Xu gets incredibly goofy when you give him Stim IVs. He's already insanely good what with having the only silent method of doing an EMP and the only way to EMP without ending turn. It doesn't have a cooldown, so Stim IV means you can spam it. Oh hey, Magnetic Reinforcement, that just means i have to zap it 4 times. Oh hay, 4 chests in this room, yoink got all of them in the same turn.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Huh, so apparently I was already accidentally following Klei. Haven't played Shank, but played Mark of the Ninja and quite a lot of Don't Starve (specifically Don't Starve Together). That's neat to know, and I should really be paying more attention to them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The technician gets you a free program for Incognita. It's a nice boost if you can get it, especially early, but that's also when it's hardest to do so eh. It was doable in that previous mission, but because Bifauxnen was unfamiliar with how it worked, he wasn't able to use it.

It's definitely not worth killing your team over though, because the program is completely random and so you may not even want it. I generally look for it early if I can, but if I don't find it within the first bit I skip it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think Central's fine personally. On my Faust/Brimstone run, I prioritized maxing her anarchy for the bonus items. She subsequently found me 6 EMP pack 1s on the run I was using Dr Xu with his spammable free EMP to compensate for Brimstone's lovely firewall breaking.

It still came to use on my ancilliary characters, but it was still a spectacular example of RNG trolling on the already RNG-full Faust run. RNG-aside I think Central's high anarchy is a reasonable method to try to accumulate money faster to get out of the beginning slump.

My favourite 2 Anarchy starting character is still Archive Banks though. Parasite is good enough to handle most of your hacking early on so the need for more power is lessened, and the money flow from her stupid conversion chip quickly gets out of hand if you start with a Hacking 2 character as well.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personally I don't really like Sharp because by the time you really have enough augments to really see his boosts, the challenging part of the game is largely over. I tried using him in my Endless Plus file, and Nika (who i rescued randomly) ended up taking the show. The augment to ignore heart monitors only works on kills, so it took actually more work for Sharp to be able to remove someone without raising the alarm... and he could only remove one without raising the alarms. Whereas I have had Nika just outright shoot like 4 things in a round to unshit a situation in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Christ yeah, Xu. He's basically my favourite for how obscene his little zap is.

I've been thinking of starting another run but I sort of want to try something different. Would anyone have any suggestions?

My favourites are Dr Xu, Archive Banks, Draco, Gladstone roughly in order to avoid retreading old ground with the same characters.

• Locked thread