Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh hell yes. This cropped up in the Sandcastle right about the time I was closing in on finishing my first Beginner run. I'm now neck deep in Experienced and Jesus Christ this thing is like Tension: The Video Game. I'm running Internationale and Olivia because the idea of PWR from KOs just seemed too good to pass up since KOs don't ruin things in Not Expert Plus. I gave her a Volt Disrupter and a KO+1 augment and whoa.

I am going to be periodically raving about this game. Especially when I manage to get away from one of those skin-of-your-teeth near miss clusterfucks that drags on for like 40 turns and winds up with you stim-burst-sprint-dragging an unconscious agent through a tight mess of Enforcer blind spots to the teleporter. I cannot believe the poo poo you come up with when the "gently caress it, reroll" option gets taken away.

Honestly the brevity of the campaign is perfect for ironmanning, especially combined with the near complete lack of RNG. Much better for it than Fire Emblem or Xcom or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
While this game is a motherfucker of the first order, sometimes it throws you a bone.

Like here:

Look at this loving map! It's silly! The teleporter is like right next to the objective and there was like one guy guarding that hallway! I mean okay it was an Omni Harbinger and I ate the alarm penalty for KOing him (which means apparently you can't EMP their consciousness sensors even though they're not listed as impervious like their heartbeat sensors are) but that's basically it! Olivia is sat there holding four different Neural Disruptors just smacking him in the head over and over again to farm power and Incognita is just hacking everything, just because (I was cocky and picked Rapier as my hacking program, confident that somewhere in the first three days I'd get either Lockpick 2, Dagger or Parasite but four secondary servers and a primary later, nope! Still just Rapier). Mika and Monster are just sat there observing the guards, who to their credit do sometimes poke around that lower corridor but only every other turn. Internationale is just parked on the objective, waiting for the jet to arrive so we can hit and run (I was sure there'd be a trap but there wasn't. I just pissed away like 15 straight turns and left without even touching the other two thirds of the map. There wasn't even anything of interest up there except one nanofab).

Also pictured: the PS4 port. It's pretty great except for one thing; the loving text is tiny! What the gently caress is with that poo poo! I sit about six feet away from a 32" 1080p screen and that poo poo is unreadable unless I concentrate and lean forward a bit. Also objectives with two lines (or anything with a gauge that fills up) tend to bug out, as shown.

Anyway the next mission made up for it by... well I might actually commentate over the 15-minute recording-grab I got off the PS4 because uhhh it sure was a thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Cathode Raymond posted:

The cost of rapier goes up with alarm levels, right? You might be in trouble if you're still using rapier heading in to the last mission :ohdear:

How's the ps4 control scheme?

Yup! Like I said I was really hoping to at least have a basic Lockpick by now. I've still got one and a half days left. There's gotta be one around somewhere. Otherwise... Well, it's gonna be interesting.

PS4 controls are entirely adequate. You don't have handy hotkeys for peek and stuff but anything that has clickable icons (doors, guards, etc) can be scrolled to with the d-pad.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
At this time I would like all of you to know that Nika is presently equipped with a Flurry Gun and a Stim IV :getin:

E: holy poo poo I just realised if I give the Stim to Olivia she can repeatedly KO a guy over and over with her Volt Disrupter to farm 20 PWR in a turn

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 12, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
BTW. I want to buy the soundtrack for this game but the only place I've found it for sale is on Steam, where they won't let me download it without buying the game which I'm not loving going to do because I already own the goddamn game jesus christ how hard can this be?! I just want to pay some money and download some goddamn music files! Why do I need to own the game for this to work?!

Is there a sane way to acquire the soundtrack?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Bifauxnen posted:

Not that I know of - hell, I find getting soundtracks on Steam to be annoying enough already even if I didn't have your gripe about owning the game on another platform. :v:

That Olivia power-farming idea sounds fun, but doesn't the volt disruptor suck up as much power as you'd get back? I really need to try out more of the archive agents... so far Decker's the only one I've played with much, pairing him up with Draco for a first-mission bootstrap bloodbath.

Yeah, it takes some doing to get the infinite setup rolling. You'll need max strength on Olivia for the +1 KO damage and at least one augment that grants another +1 (though of course you can farm faster with more copies). With one +1, you'll break even on any Volt Disruptor, and with each additional +1 you'll get a net gain in PWR. The sole catch is that you can't hit 20 PWR with this method because for some reason the PWR gain is applied before the PWR cost from the Volt Disruptor, so you're capped at 17 for a basic one or 15 for the mk III version.

Of course, up until that point Olivia is still a power farming... powerhouse. Just give her multiple disruptors and have her go to town. You always get the PWR bonus even if you're redundantly KO-ing an unconscious guard over and over again.

One thing I didn't know about Draco is that his temporary bonus effects aren't temporary stat-ups, they're assorted buffs like reduced item cooldown or extra AP or sometimes just money. Quite handy.

(And I found the soundtrack on iTunes... for about twice what it costs on Steam. The prices we pay for appreciating good things...)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Patch for PS4 version hit today. Bug fixes, performance tweaks (hopefully no more chugging) and... TEXT READABILITY! The text is a tad bigger and they've changed the typeface, it seems. The difference is night and day. gently caress yeah, Klei.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My Experienced run finished okay. For about five hair raising turns it was touch and go; Olivia was down and Monster was under fire but due to some incredible runaround and the best placed shock trap in history we made it through with no casualties (ahaha. ha. ha).

Now Expert kicks in and I guess I can't really rely on the power farming trick anymore since guards have a bit more KO resistance now. I seem to have adapted though. My starting team was Internationale (natch) and Prism (for Refraction Chamber, +1 PWR when a firewall breaks up to twice per turn, comboing spectacularly with Seed/Parasite). I have, however, been absolutely shat on provision-wise. I got two Detention Centers straight away but all I got was Xu (tolerable but there are so many better choices) and loving Decker (who is worthless without the modded stealth rig he brings you as a starter). A bunch of nanofabs (including a vestibule) and I couldn't get any more neural disrupters until Day 3. I haven't found any other firewall-breaking programs except Rapier, though I do have Ping (Ping has saved my rear end on countless occasions and I love it so much). I also have Shade although it doesn't seem to do anything ("reduces guard vision" apparently, but seems to not actually have any effect). I gave Internationale two extra aug slots at a lab but the only augs I've seen available are poo poo like the stat-up chips and AP modifying stuff, none of which I want (I want Distributed Processing and stim-cloak, goddamnit). So basically I am woefully underequipped.

So I decided to ghost Omni Foundry (on a much harder layout this time). Got away with it.

I think I love this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Never not started with Internationale either. Funny, that.

Also; holy poo poo does Xu's micro-EMP permanently reduce his AP?! He has 9 max AP despite having the same speed stat as my other agents, who all have 10. I've used his EMP once. If this is right then he's even more worthless than I thought.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hooray, Xu is forgiven for everything!

I love this game a lot (don't know if I mentioned that) but drat certain parts of it could be clarified better.

It's the kind of game that would benefit hugely from having an in-game reference of all the stuff in the game, like a wikia but without the ads.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I found Derek in a Detention Center today, and for a hot second I thought he wouldn't come with his Transport Beacon that goes with his augment, but no, he had it. Just as well, because it saved the poo poo out of me in the Research Facility (the thing before Omni Foundry).

Prism was cornered in one of the switch rooms by five - five - guards (including one Enforcer, who got called out in like the third turn by Validate. I didn't know Validate could spawn loving Enforcers!). I tried to Ping them away but there were five of them and one of them decided to wait right in front of the only door out of the place. So I went and hid her in a corner because they'd now be coming into the room (Wisp told me so. I loving love Wisp). Of course, since they all crammed in to the room, one of them couldn't reach his objective and therefore "hmm, investigating..."-ed the single square in that room that would let him see Prism. This led to Prism getting Overwatch'd by all five guards.

Fortunately! She has a Stealth Rig, so she doesn't get shot. Of course, the door is still blocked, so it's all she can do to find another hiding spot in the room. Wisp tells me the guards are going to keep milling around, and that Enforcer's got his grenades, so I'm not hopeful. I'm already weighing up the emotional pros and cons of just retiring this Agency right here.

It is about this point Internationale discovers the exit pad (which is on), and I observe she's carrying the Beacon. It's also about this point I notice that Derek is in the room adjacent to Prism; also a dead end but whatever, this mission is already hosed.

So Derek turns on Sprint and starts stomping around the room, drawing a bunch of attention. All five guards charge him. They leave just enough space for Prism to Stim III the gently caress out of there. Of course, Derek gets spotted, but we just zap him the gently caress right out of there while Prism slips out the back way. The confusion leaves ample space for Prism to reach the exit.

I loving love Invisible Inc.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, Stim I gives you back 4AP and has a 9 turn cooldown. Stim II gets you 6 AP for 7 turns. Stim III gets you 8 for 4 and gives you a second attack. Stim IV gets you 10 AP and unlimited attacks (hello Flurry Gun) for a 4 turn cooldown but can only be used once per mission unless you burn a charge pack.

There is an augment that makes you cloaked when you Stim. There is also an augment that gives you an AOE KO (that I think ignores armour? Someone factcheck this) when you cloak.

Oh and don't forget the augment that gives you an additional Stim when you cloak.

Stims are great.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 17, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Mzbundifund posted:

Thanks for the update, but what does

this mean? How can you have a 4 turn cooldown usable once per mission? Does the charge pack only remove the once-per-mission restriction but you still need to wait out the cooldown?

That is exactly what it means. All of the fourth-tier items added in the DLC are like this; ludicrous and with short-if-any cooldown, but they require charges (and unlike weapons that require charges, they recharge automatically between missions). Using a charge pack adds another charge but you still have the cooldown. If you're really pressed you can burn a second charge pack to skip the cooldown too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Since we're in info dump mode I want something clarified.

Drag speed: I've not seen this documented anywhere but I think I know how it works, so if someone could confirm this it'd be great for all. As far as I can tell, it costs 4AP to drag a body one space, but with the perks you get by buying Strength that goes down to 3, then 2. Right?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
rear end in a top hat of a CFO mission just now.

So we start in the dark room at the bottom left of the V. All the way on the left side of the V is the Power Cell. Down in the lower right of the V is a Relay Station. The two switches are midway to each branch. Note the executive's office all the way in the right, and the chokepoint loving central in between. There's a Modded MKI in each branch for bonus fun.

Here's the kicker; on Advanced Alarm Level 1, the loving executive gets a patrol right alongside the guards. The only reason I was able to make any progress in this mission at all was because both Prism and 'Nale are rocking Stealth Rig IIs and Stim IIIs, and I noticed the MKI and the exec were the only people to go into the middle of that branch (you can see the AP counters and the pinned guard), and it also happens to be right next to the exit and far from the Enforcer spawns.

So we get our codes, the Enforcer's one turn away and we're right by the exit. Time to teleport Derek over and get out!

I left the Transport Beacon on the plane.

Well, I was able to KO the Enforcer with a shock trap and Ping away the other nearby guards (protip: shock traps make noise), and Derek ducked and weaved through the patrolling guards, which was now possible thanks to the missing MKI. Of course, if he hadn't had a Stim on hand himself we still might not have made it. I was ready to leave him for dead; all he had on him was a basic Disruptor, a Med Gel and a Stim, and Prism and 'Nale can sure as poo poo hold their own now. But he made it.

How did I leave the loving beacon on the plane.

Also, note the redone PS4 text. Compare my last screenshot:

Much better! The objectives display glitch seems to happen a bit less often too. Of course, now there are a few places where text scrolls off the bottom of its display area (some item names, inter-mission dialogue). :sigh:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I haven't used shock traps much at the end, but the KO reduction seems to mean they can get up again before your turn starts - at least, that happened the last time I used one, but it may have been a bit of a glitch since it happened the same turn that the KO protection went up one level; either way, shock traps aren't quite reliable.

IIRC when Watchdog installs it also affects currently KO'd guards, making them recover a KO point (basically, an even worse Jolt). A few ways this can gently caress you, obviously. One of my favourites is when you try poo poo with Monster's overclocked DART after guards already have KO resistance and happen to roll Watchdog/Jolt; this makes the guard you just KO'd immediately wake up. On *Plus it could also happen that your KO sends the alarm level up to 4.

Does KO reduction have a minimum? (IE, is it possible for Guards to become un-KO-able?)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I beat Expert!

The Mainframe was... it was...

Just look at it.

:supaburn:

I credit my success entirely to Prism, who spent the entire hacking sequence and about five turns thereafter sprinting around that huge clusterfuck room while cloaked, keeping like six guys busy all at once. Between that, 'Nale running interference and liberal Pinging, I was still only barely able to get Monster to the mainframe, and very nearly had to sacrifice Prism for the cause. The one benefit of that huge room is that with agents in each corner it's pretty easy to step into guards' peripheral vision.

I started up an Expert plus run and wiped on the first Executive Terminals.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SSNeoman posted:

ALARM LEVEL 6. ELITE ENFORCERS INBOUND. THEY WILL BE YOUR DEATH.

It took me a couple playthroughs to notice but Incognita's dialogues for these change during the OMNI missions when she's on low power.

"Additional guard patrols. Kill them! Kill them all!"

I didn't notice the first few times because I was busy saying "gently caress" repeatedly.

Also; twice ever have I come across the Technicians in a level. Both times the resulting program, that I went out of my way to tail a guy and wait around seven loving turns for, was Overdrive (all programs PWR cost +1, cooldown -2 (min 1)), and both times I wasn't really using many programs with cooldowns.

Overdrive can be nifty with Ping because you can use it every two turns now, but unless you're also packing a bunch of programs like Dagger it just makes everything needlessly more expensive. And if you're using Fusion for PWR, loving forget it.

I've developed a favourite program roster that I strive towards; Seed, Parasite (thoughts on 2.0?), Ping, Wisp and Lockpick 2.0, and some other icebreaker after the expansion hits (I like Hammer) or Hunter or something. Or Bless (probably Bless when I try endless).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
[_] Remain a subsidiary of Kelfried & Odin
[] Leave Kelfried & Odin

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

lotus circle posted:

Reading this thread renewed my love for this game. Has anyone played the ps4 version? I have it on Steam, but my computer is kinda crappy and it'll probably overheat quickly if I play it now.

I have been periodically raving about it. It is quite a good port, though not without some quirks. Totally fine though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Technician Room gives you a random program for free. At least I think it's random. I'm not sure if it follows the same or different rules as the Server Terminals, and both times I've put up with the seven turn wait it's spat out Overdrive, which I immediately went on to regret picking up.

Daemon Reversal is neat although kind of impossible to plan around. The closest you can get is with the Faust/Brimstone gimmick run. Brimstone is a poo poo program, eating 3 PWR for one lousy firewall, but it also grants a passive +10% to your chance of Daemon Reversal, for a total of 20% for any given Daemon. Faust grants 2 PWR per turn but also has a 20% chance of spawning a Daemon each turn. Combine this with Central on your team for maximum hilarity.

I think I mentioned this before but I still don't really like Central being on my team, even in Expert Plus. Instead I went with Prism for a constant flow of extra PWR as my free seeded Parasites break all the firewalls in the map. Right now I've got that backed up by Lockpick 2 and Data Blast, and Data Blast is very nice.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

A nice nanofab.

Holocircuit Overloaders sounds fun but is a bit of a liability on Expert Plus. It activates a 2-tile 2-turn armour-disregarding stun around the agent when they cloak. This is particularly fun when paired with Subdermal Cloak, which causes you to cloak when you use a stim (but also eats 5 PWR, making stimming a bit of a liability), and/or Chameleon Movement, which gives you +6 AP when you cloak (sadly it does not cause an infinite feedback loop).

The Flurry Gun is incredible if and only if you are specifically doing a lethal run and are planning around getting the Flurry Gun. I think it's been mentioned before in the thread. It has infinite ammo but can only be fired for one turn per mission and is subject to the usual weapon restrictions. To effectively use it, you need one of three things. One: to orchestrate a Fire Emblem style trading gambit in which agents fire the weapon and then pass it to other agents. Two: to have Nika, who can attack twice per turn. Or Three: to use a Stim IV, which grants unlimited attacks for a turn. It has 2 AP, which is great, but on higher difficulties won't cut it after a while so it also helps if you have a Piercing Scanner or cart around a Ventricular Lance (or are Shalem).

The Buster Chip III is an incredible item. It chews firewalls, and has a short cooldown. I always grab one, sometimes more.

Seeing Bifauxnen's shiny new av reminded me I don't think we ever had an overview of the on-file bios of these agents, or heard Central's (voice acted) commentary. For example: "Internationale is one of the best all round agents I've ever seen, but she's held back by an unfortunate abundance of social concern. Used correctly she's the bedrock upon which you can build a winning team. Just don't ask her about the plight of the global proletariat."

(Every agent has a file of some sort; a report or magazine article or some piece of correspondence you can unlock in-game. Internationale's is a letter to the editor of a magazine she used to subscribe to but abandoned when they became not revolutionary enough for her.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Firing up a new game of Invisible Inc - haven't played it in months, so I've been reading this LP to give me a refresher on how to play. I'm trying to wean myself off of Internationale, too, since I've used her in essentially every game.

So I also figure this is a good place to ask: does anyone know if achievements still unlock if you use custom difficulty? i.e. set difficulty to expert, then to custom to change the rewinds, then play through - will it unlock anything?

For achievements requiring you to be on some specific difficulty (like completing the game on Expert or something), you can change the number of rewinds without causing the difficulty to become Custom (Only the Ironman achievement cares about rewinds). For achievements that don't name a specific difficulty, you can use Custom and set whatever you want.

• Locked thread