Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I live in a well developed farming nation (Denmark), and it's my clear impression that organic tastes better and doesn't contain herbicides that are toxic to humans - but itt a lot of respected posters claim the label is bullshit?

Am I being a dumb, or is organic just not regulated in the United States?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

A big factor in the taste of produce is the soil and growing conditions. Those have nothing to do with organic or herbicides. You would not be able to taste the difference.

An example here in the States is the Vidalia onion. There is something about the soil in Vidalia, Georgia that produces onions that are mild and sweet, that can be eaten like an apple. Genetically, the plants are identical to those grown elsewhere, and when those plants are grown elsewhere they taste like ordinary onions. There's just something about the soil and growing conditions in Vidalia that produces onions like that.

It's also why certain regions are renowned for their wine. The varieties of grape that produce ordinary wines elsewhere produce spectacularly good wines in particular places. The difference has been known for centuries, long before modern agriculture existed.

Another issue in the perception of taste is expectation. If you think organic food is supposed to taste better, you will generally find it does - although in a blind taste test you would not be able to tell the difference between organic and not.

I guess I've been deceived, then. It's just, looking at the public discourse here, it's generally perceived as objective truth that organic produce is less toxic( being made without glyphosate, for example), taste better and is better for the earth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Don't get me started on the EU glyphosate discussion. It is without a doubt the most moronic EU-based discussion of the year. By a long margin.

Can you start on the EU glyphosate discussion? Keep in mind that I don't know anything about farming, and as a (wannabe) conscientious consumer I get worried when I hear that I'm carrying it around inside me.

• Locked thread