Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Why is the discussion of subsidies limited to industrial farms. Where I live small farmers are entitled to subsidies just as much as large farms.
And it is generally recognised here that although small and part-time farmers help maintain rural economies, they limit efficiency and hinder long term development.

Though it's politically difficult to say that small farmers should be bought out and replaced by larger organisations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Junior G-man posted:

In the EU larger farmers get more subsidies because the basic payment is per hectare; the more land you have, the more subsidies you get. I know the US has switched to an insurance-based model of 'protecting' farmers, but I'm not too familiar.

I'm from Ireland so we would be using the EU rules. That's what I meant though, small scale are just as entitled to large industrial farmers to subsidies, as it per hectare a larger farmer would receive more but as a percentage compared to production it would be the same. And there's all sorts of benefits available to small farmers and young farmers that industrial farms wouldn't be entitled to. So I always find it odd when people rail against the evil industrial farms receiving corporate welfare. Though I hadn't heard of the US insurance-based model.

I've heard people say that as a small island we have too many farmers for the arable land so there's over production in some areas due to duplication. That the land would be better utilised if we had fewer but much larger farms. I assume the same would be true on a wider scale, that larger farms are better able to use their available land and produce more efficiently with less waste.

• Locked thread