Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Nobody is saying all-local.

But the current mixed approach should be expanded. Some people get produce locally, but the majority don't even consider it.

Yeah, because it's really loving expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

If you read some of the articles I cited, you might notice that it is not. If you buy in season fruit and veg from a farmer's market it will typically be less expensive than supermarket prices. Yeah, they aren't doing the same volume, but they also don't have nearly as much middleman overhead and transportation costs.

Well from my personal experience there usually is a significant price difference (especially once you move to things like meats, eggs and cheeses).

But even if we grant you that, the fact that they're not able to produce as much volume means that prices will rise significantly if people actually start switching over to local consumption.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Of course meats and cheese are more expensive. Buy those at the supermarkets. Livestock is terrible for the environment and you shouldn't encourage local livestock operations.

Eggs are not nearly as bad, and I'm surprised you find them more expensive at markets. They're much cheaper here. Same with honey and most in season fruits and veg.

But even if we grant you that, the fact that they're not able to produce as much volume means that prices will rise significantly if people actually start switching over to local consumption.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Read the thread. Switch when it makes sense, don't when it doesn't. Most people don't even consider it, which is the problem. Buy most of your produce from local markets. The price won't go up too high or people will stop buying it. We're not saying eliminate supermarkets and industrial agriculture - but use them to supplement what is produced locally.

That's the point. Local produce is very sensitive to demand shifts because it has very low volume. The net result is going to be that maybe a few more people will buy local, and most people will still buy what they've always bought.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Which is why we should encourage more local farms, and we should encourage more people to buy from them.

That's the main point of the argument. People need to change the way they think about food and the way they interact with food production. The current system is environmentally unsustainable and economically wasteful.

Local farms are even more environmentally unsustainable and economically wasteful. They objectively use up more resources.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Read the thread. I've already posted sources that dispute that claim. Please post some that support it.

Your sources do not dispute it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well I'm sorry about your reading comprehension skills. The Columbia article I posted on the last page discusses it.

Yeah and it concluded "you'd do better to just go Vegetarian".

quote:

So while buying local food could reduce the average consumer’s greenhouse gas emissions by 4-5 percent at best, substituting part of one day a week’s worth of calories from red meat and dairy products with chicken, fish, eggs, or vegetables achieves more greenhouse gas reduction than switching to a diet based entirely on locally produced food (which would be impossible anyway).

Note the use of "could" and "at best".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

4-5% is not insignificant, especially because that is just greenhouse gas emissions. It doesn't consider water use, chemical use, and excessive need for fertilizer due to monoculture practices.

And that's literally the best case scenario they could've constructed, and they still concluded with "but if you just ate a little more chicken instead, it would've saved a ton more greenhouse gas emissions".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Eating a chicken sandwich instead of a hamburger saves more greenhouse emissions than switching your entire diet to local food.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm done engaging. No wonder the OP fled.

You won, but not by proving your point. You won by endlessly arguing your opinion with no support other than more of your opinions.

I'm just using the factually sourced articles you posted. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enki42 posted:

we've distorted the market in such a way that some practices that have obviously negative externalities make sense (transporting vegetables capable of being produced locally over huge distances,).

People massively overestimate the costs of transportation. Even with carbon externalities factored in, it still might be legitimately less wasteful to ship something in from another region.

• Locked thread