Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Your arguments are the same arguments of the farmers in central California with the signs that say "Is growing food wasting water?" stuck in their almond, alfalfa, and cotton farms - mostly for export and profits. Sure, if you want industrial ag to feed the world, then loving feed the world. But you're not, so why even use that defense?

You forgot raisins. My motherland is known for its ability to fill grapes with water just to dry them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

asdf32 posted:

Concentrated industry concentrates waste. That's a given. It's also not a bad thing if the result is less systemic waste overall.

I thought it was that in small-scale farming, the animal waste goes back into the land

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Anecdotally (in the U.S.), I've noticed that organic Fuji apples taste better. Nothing stands out to me about the rest. I usually just buy the first of whatever I need that I see at the store.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I had no idea that USDA organic ruled out GMOs. That seems silly. The part I thought was important was

USDA posted:

Preserve natural resources and biodiversity

How true is it?

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
So it doesn't matter how slow the boats themselves are, because the overall rate of transfer is huge. Amazing. I wonder if a ship packed with microSD cards could theoretically exceed the best Internet speeds (not counting the time taken to transfer the data onto a computer).

It used to boggle my mind that shipping stuff overseas isn't crazy expensive, but now I see that's just because my monkey brain can't account for how small the margins can get at that scale. I saw a Dole corporation ship in the San Diego harbor a couple of months ago, and the cargo on that thing—the amount of bananas was literally incomprehensible, but I guess that shows how many grocery stores are all over the place. I'm just amazed how it all stays fresh along the way, but I guess they time the picking for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah I wonder how expensive it'll be to retrofit them with the ability to use some other liquid fuel that we hopefully figure out

• Locked thread