Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think focusing on development right now and doing more player outreach during the f2p launch makes more sense to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

Yeah just silence, mostly. Twitch wasn't quite the behemoth it is now so not getting streamers on board was pretty excusable, but short of the launch on Steam I can't remember any fanfare period. It didn't help that there was basically zero response from SLS about the whole "why should I play yet another moba?" misconception.

seems easy to fix really then

throw EA all hero packs or skins or whatever as giveaways on twitter and twitch, gifts to streamers, promote competitive as A Thing, start supporting the inevitable amateur tournaments that are gonna pop up on reddit or whatever, engage with the consumers and it'll do fine

Radical posted:

i think focusing on development right now and doing more player outreach during the f2p launch makes more sense to me

they could do both, even. is SLS really hurting for manpower?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Rafza posted:

i wasn't around for the tail end of BLC, what did they do (or not do) for it to die? just a lack of promotion or what

A few big stand-out reasons:
- It was published by FunCom. There was little to no advertising and navigating the website/registration process was an absolute nightmare.
- The original pricing scheme was ridiculous. The $100 "Titan" edition didn't even include all the champs, if I remember correctly. The game was optionally Free to Play from the start but the prices of unlocking anything via in-game currency were punitive. Earning enough to unlock even a single champion took dozens and dozens of hours.
- In a move designed to reinvigorate the game, they added medallions and traits which are similar to LoL's system, unlockable minor attribute boosts. Without going into a lot of detail, they were not good for the game.
- The game's small playerbase was self-reinforcing. New players would jump in and find themselves up against people who had been playing it for years.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Guy streaming Glutton https://www.twitch.tv/lirik

e: ok not Glutton exclusively but streaming regardless. hes real bad but it had like 25k viewers so w/e

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:siren:They just sent out the Diabotical kickstarter Battlerite keys!:siren:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Ok if they're paying Lirik to play this game they might actually have a marketing plan. That's good.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A stream of 27k viewers and the twitch chat is actually just discussing the game and thinking it looks cool

The hype... it's... happening????

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Battlerite is the #6 watched game on Twitch right now

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Brannock posted:

holy poo poo we in there

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

everyone that i know thats played the game actually really liked it so i think its gonna do fine as long as they get streamers to give it a try

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"it looks like there are two tanks" - man fighting engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Brannock posted:

Well, poo poo. I was gonna wait to post the new Battlerite OP (written by Unfunny Poster) for Early access time but now seems like a very good time!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790833

• Locked thread