Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Remake to the PS2 ODIN SPHERE by Vanillaware. It looks nicer and runs better, and the combat and maps aren't as lovely and samey. If you didn't play the first one, the conceit is that the events of the game take place in 5 books that a little girl is reading in her attic with her awesome cat Socrates. Each character gets a book dedicated to them consisting of 6 acts and an epilogue, and all the stories are going on in parallel. You don't get to choose the order that you play the characters in, but each one has some gimmicks to their playstyles to keep things fresh.

Other stuff

The PS4 version runs really well, and I haven't noticed any slowdown unless I've got a couple whirlwind potions or something going along with a lot of enemies on screen. Idk how the PS3 and Vita versions do, maybe those are worse, maybe they aren't.

Speaking of potions, they make things super easy for you. Do alchemy first if you're having trouble with a fight, instead of grinding. Seriously, a properly timed whirlwind potion can just chain juggle enemies for 20 seconds and they can't do poo poo about it.

Thinking of playing classic mode? You probably shouldn't, it doesn't sound or look fun.

The end of the game is a boss rush where you get to pick the order that you use characters in. There's an intended order for the ~true ending~ that you can probably divine from clues in the game or just look up on Gamefaqs like the rest of us.

Haven't found all the Phozon Prisms for a character? Check this poo poo out.

Morpheus posted:

If there's a skill that has a chest with a question mark on it, that can be found somewhere in a chest in the level - it'll be behind a hidden door somewhere. Sometimes there's combat behind said hidden door, sometimes not, but it'll always be hidden. There are places where there'll be a door just in the environment that doesn't show up on the map, but you still enter it with X + Up.

You can give skills fighting game inputs if you want, you're not stuck with just the 4 defaults.

You can change the difficulty whenever you're not in battle. You're not stuck with your initial selection forever and ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ndZhjAREU

Leifthrasir???

Wikipedia posted:

In Norse mythology, Líf (identical with the Old Norse feminine noun meaning "life, the life of the body")[1] and Lífþrasir (Old Norse masculine name from líf and þrasir. Lexicon Poëticum defines this name as "Livæ amator, vitæ amans, vitæ cupidus", "Líf's lover, lover of life, zest for life"),[2] sometimes anglicized as Lift and Lifthrasir, —female and male respectively—are two humans who are foretold to survive the events of Ragnarök by hiding in a wood called Hoddmímis holt, and after the flames have abated, to repopulate the newly risen and fertile world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Epic game, everyone

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

But how much does it cost? I tried like 4 times to get into the ps2 version and I think only once I finished the first character's story

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Demicol posted:

But how much does it cost? I tried like 4 times to get into the ps2 version and I think only once I finished the first character's story

60, 50, and 40something for PS4, PS3, PSV standard editions respectively.

That's in ameribucks though, idk what poo poo Canada has to deal with

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sony is weirdly nice and charges the same price CAD as USD on the psn store

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The Vita version runs extremely loving well.

The only time I ever managed to get slow down was when I was stacking 10+ attack potions on a giant boss.

Also if you haven't played the original before, classic mode will make you appreciate the remake a hell of a lot more.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I thought this was just going to look nicer and smoother but they really changed a lot. The combat is so much more mobile now and everything chains together well. They took out pretty much everything that was tedious or frustrating about the original and then added a whole lot of new quality of life upgrades.

It's good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've only just reached Gwendolyn's epilogue but this game is pretty sweet so far.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've been watching My Name is Katz's lp of the original version as I progress here, and it's ridiculous how much the mechanics have changed. Gameplay-wise it's almost like a sequel in that regard.

Been enjoying the game on hard, but some fights are a bit of a slog on account of how much HP the enemies have. Even with endlessly combo-ing them and tossing out high tier potions some enemies just take way too long to die.

Also Cornelius is amazing. Little murdercopter bunny.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its weird that you don't get ranked on boss fights

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I knew this game was good the moment I realized you get points for using items in fights instead of losing them. The fact that the points don't matter is also probably a plus. Still going to S rank every screen.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kobogartimer posted:

I knew this game was good the moment I realized you get points for using items in fights instead of losing them. The fact that the points don't matter is also probably a plus. Still going to S rank every screen.

Yeah, the only things you can do to tank your score are taking damage or taking too long, so you never have to handicap yourself for the sake of score

it's nice

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah I have the vita version and it looks beautiful on the oled, plus I havent seen it stutter yet. Really cool game I missed out on.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Quick question. Do you only get new characters after you complete the previous in a linear fashion?
Played the demo before I bought and I wanted to play Velvet right away.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah. Order is Gwendolyn, Cornelius, Mercedes, Oswald, Velvet iirc. Mercedes and Oswald might be transposed

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I think there's a storytelling reason for the the order their stories are told in, even though all their stories are happening at the same time. I assume Velvet's story has a lot of answers for questions raised in the other stories, hence why hers is last. I never finished the PS2 version, so I don't fully know.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only know of the game because of the LP. I will be looking forward to it when it gets a PC port.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Allarion posted:

Yeah, I think there's a storytelling reason for the the order their stories are told in, even though all their stories are happening at the same time. I assume Velvet's story has a lot of answers for questions raised in the other stories, hence why hers is last. I never finished the PS2 version, so I don't fully know.

Yeah. All the stories are concurrent but that doesn't mean you can have them a la carte, there's a clear narrative underlying the order they're shown in

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Allarion posted:

Without giving too much away, you're correct. Velvet's story has the most connection to the apocalypse prophesies that build up in the other character stories due to her relations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Wait, so Odin Sphere is actually a good game now?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It was always a good game, now you just don't need to qualify that statement

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Wait, so Odin Sphere is actually a good game now?

No

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Epic game, everyone

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Goddammit Cake Attack

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

It was always a good game, now you just don't need to qualify that statement

Fair

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Just how anime is this anime game?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spudd posted:

On a scale of Babylon to America, it is very Norse

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Spudd posted:

Some character designs aside, surprisingly low on the anime. The game takes a lot of affection and inspiration from various western (and Norse) stories, and plays them pretty straightforward.

I imported this way back when because I was too impatient to wait for the NA release. It's a very good update.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

The bunny is so fun, he turboclowns all normal monsters. I never got 2000 points as the valkyrie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=836L32MFvXY

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
your health doesn't constantly drain on cold or hot maps anymore this game iS GRRREAT

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Looper posted:

your health doesn't constantly drain on cold or hot maps anymore this game iS GRRREAT

Holy poo poo, that is the best change. I ordered this game earlier this week. Looking forward to playing again, I loved the PS2 version, despite its flaws.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Odin Sphere is one of my favorite PS2 games and I'm happy they fixed the combat so it's actually fun now.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
mercedes still a total bore

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Rascyc posted:

mercedes still a total bore

I watched a video of Mercedes fighting her final boss in her chapter and between her bullet sprays and juggle techniques it was like she was a Fighting Game Touhou and it kinda rocked.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

This game is...extremely good. Vanillaware finally made a game that's gameplay lives up to it's gorgeous art. Dragon's Crown was OK though i guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I loved Odin Sphere even back in the PS2, and seeing that you can do some DMC-esque crazy poo poo in here makes me want a PC port so fuckin' bad

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 11, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

One of the best things they did was make you start as Gwendolyn "Aircombo Shitwrecker Supreme" Odinsdaughter because starting out with a super brawler is the perfect gateway to the rest of the game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Stelas posted:

One of the best things they did was make you start as Gwendolyn "Aircombo Shitwrecker Supreme" Odinsdaughter because starting out with a super brawler is the perfect gateway to the rest of the game.
Yeah, the controls in this version are so responsive. You really feel like you're in 100% control of the character's actions and can flip around, combo with a skill, then cancel fast and jump to the other side of an enemy and continue where you left off. It's very satisfying and pretty much fixes the only problem of the original game (dull gameplay with slowdown).

It's still a little deflating when you finish a character and have to start back at level 1, but what are ya gonna do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haven't started Cornelius yet but this game is fun as poo poo, massive improvement from the PS2 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you should change the thread title to be odin sphere leifthrasir: vanillaware made a good game

• Locked thread