Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
If there's one problem with the new version, it's that it's almost too easy now. I've demolished several major bosses where I don't think they even had a chance to fire off an attack because you can interrupt all of their moves with either damage or skill stuns, and they just melt away under the weight of 2 alchemy DOTs, rotating elementals, and a never-ending stream of quick-replenishing POW damage skills. I only ever use healing items on some dual-mid-boss levels and when I get lazy and incautious against that annoying dwarf zeppelin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Archenteron posted:

I watched a video of Mercedes fighting her final boss in her chapter and between her bullet sprays and juggle techniques it was like she was a Fighting Game Touhou and it kinda rocked.
Yeah you do all of that but it's a fraction of the stuff you can do with the other characters. It's still bearable but she's really boring compared to the others. There's just not a lot of skills to chain with her so it's mostly just shoot shoot and reposition.

If you watched an end video of her though that'll be better because she gets two skills that basically give her floating options that also spam shots. Until then it's pretty Zzz

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

you should change the thread title to be odin sphere leifthrasir: vanillaware made a good game

Dragons Crown was good!!!!!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Does this game still have huge problems with inventory management? Playing the game when it first came out, every battle was about 5 minutes of action, and then 10 mintues of growing plants and futzing with inventory.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

Does this game still have huge problems with inventory management? Playing the game when it first came out, every battle was about 5 minutes of action, and then 10 mintues of growing plants and futzing with inventory.

Nope, the inventory automatically sorts itself into categories for you. Seeds and mandragoras fall under their own compartments so they don't count against your item limit.

The only time I've had to do actual management is when I let food or potions pile up for too long.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Thank goodness! Having to constantly stop and start to fix the inventory mess single-handedly ruined my love of the game. If they fixed that, I'll give it another shot.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Erg posted:

Nope, the inventory automatically sorts itself into categories for you. Seeds and mandragoras fall under their own compartments so they don't count against your item limit.

The only time I've had to do actual management is when I let food or potions pile up for too long.

Also all the bag size increases are gained as level clear rewards so you don't need to save your money all game long with each character to finally buy the large bags when they become available.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Also all the bag size increases are gained as level clear rewards so you don't need to save your money all game long with each character to finally buy the large bags when they become available.

Oh drat, I forgot they pulled that poo poo in the first game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally every problem with the original is fixed

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Endorph posted:

literally every problem with the original is fixed

The loving wizard when I was playing as Mercedes in the original was my wall and prevented me from beating the game. Finally killed the fucker last night and I am so drat glad that I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've never got to play as Velvet in the original because of that loving wizard boss in Oswald's story. That god awful POW system is gone so maybe now I can murder the gently caress out of him this time.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
WIZARDS

NO SENSE OF RIGHT AND WRONG

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

thanks alot assbag posted:

Thank goodness! Having to constantly stop and start to fix the inventory mess single-handedly ruined my love of the game. If they fixed that, I'll give it another shot.
The food truck can also cook food with ingredients straight from the storage box so you can chuck all your junk into the box.

Really the game is great. I don't even think it's too easy if you lay off potion spamming. If you get in a bad spot then potions solve everything.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bricked in the original about three quarters of the way through Oswald's story, when I ran into those loving slimes. Is there any good way for him to kill them now?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You just beat em up, no more having to burn them up.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Does the game get significantly harder past the first chapter when playing on normal?

Due to the sheer variety of attack moves, there's never a reason to be conservative either in movement or to even use blocking, and i found myself waltzing through the first chapter, wrecking the first boss with a few 100+ combos; while getting no noticable damage over the course of that. So i'm very tempted to switch to hard.

Also, comparing classic to refined is fun because it shows they recognized what the problems were: Trying to fight while having to check your stamina gauge in the top left is tedious; but no idea how to solve that properly: Made all normal attacks free, while still keeping the meter, now for skills, in the top left, being useless and inaccessible in combat.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

play on hard, even there it's still fairly easy

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Wish they'd just fixed the UI so i could play it in classic mode with more involved combat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

One thing I dislike about hard mode is just how beefy some of the enemies are. Later on in each of the books the mini-bosses tend to have so much HP that even with potion and skill spam it still takes me forever to whittle down their HP.

But yeah, even then it's not that difficult, even to get S ranks. Which is a bit disappointing, since it makes getting S ranks standard fair and anything less feel like crap.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Should I save the special coins for certain things instead of dishes?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

On hard I'm finding Mercedes' book pretty difficult, especially challenges. After the untouchable world-ending power of Cornelius, awkward fairy with 300 hp is not standing up well to double snowman. This fight is kind of messed up!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished Cornelius's book a couple days ago ( He's fun ) and started Mercedes book. I hated her little prologue and really not looking forward to HERE WE GO every 5 seconds. Someone please lend me your energy so I can stomach this.

Like I beat this game back on the PS2 even getting the golden wheel ending but I'm not sure if my heart can take awkwardly flying around spraying 5 damage bullets.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

Should I save the special coins for certain things instead of dishes?

AFAIK that's their only use.

Kobogartimer posted:

On hard I'm finding Mercedes' book pretty difficult, especially challenges. After the untouchable world-ending power of Cornelius, awkward fairy with 300 hp is not standing up well to double snowman. This fight is kind of messed up!

The secret to Mercedes is that while firing you can strafe backwards while still firing in your initial direction. This allows you to just keep damaging the enemies while staying out of their attack range. Use power shot or w/e the big sideways special is called if you need to get some time to reload.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I'd like to submit Exhibit A.

Getting better every time. I'm going to use all those drat spirit potions next time.

^^Yeah, thanks. I'm not giving up and I'm figuring her out and still having fun.

e: Closure.

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 12, 2016

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That double snowman challenge was the only thing that gave me trouble. Once I got spread shot everything just melted. Her homing crouched shots are stupid OP and made the wizard boss trivial.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The bow actually pumps out sick damage as long as you upgrade the passive Psypher skill.

Most of her active skills are really bad and all her POW ones are just used for repositioning (you can dodge out the flip one too for flight!)

As for her PP skills, the starting one does good damage so use that one. Spread shot is not bad but it never did more damage than just spamming shots so I just guess it's convenient for not consuming POW. Unlimited shot is useful.

It's a mega boring chapter but she's not weak. She's the only character I've leveled the Psypher to max before post game.

Her best skill is, unfortunately, the one you learn last in the main game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tfw you juggle a boss so hard that you miss the new health bar launch since it was still in the air

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I'm legit impressed with this remake. Odin Sphere PS2 was very pretty with a billion issues from framerate to stiff unwieldy characters to everything about leveling and inventory being horrifically unfun to manage that basically made it the best looking poo poo game of it's generation. But so far in the remake my only real complaint is that it's probably too easy, especially since it showers you in endless potion materials and enough food to be grossly overpowered for whatever major moments the game has thrown at me so far. But I've only finished Chapter 1 so far, so maybe it gets harder (then again, I remember Gwendolyn and her chapter being a particular low point in the original, so the fact I'm coming out happy speaks well for the future.) Combat is fun and fluid, inventory is nowhere near as unfriendly as it used to be outside managing the gross overindulgence the game takes part in, and even on Vita the game is keeping a steady clip during actual gameplay.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm impressed by the pre-order artbook gift as it's much nicer than I expected.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It feels good to be wrecking poo poo as Oswald again and now better than ever. I got the new divekick and I am in awe at how much damage it does at level 1.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I feel like they kinda hosed up with Oswald but I don't know. You get a skill later on that puts you back into berserk at the cost of PP, so I maxed that out and rarely left berserk after that. I left almost all the other skills at like level 1/2.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Playing on Hard is the right decision for this. The fight against the red witch actually had me retry and rethink my approach a bit, since the solution for her isn't just "relentlessly pile on as many attacks as possible as fast as possible and waste not a single second with not attacking", as it has been for literally everything else so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How do you get past the sandstorm in Cornelius Chapter 5, Act 3?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You need to equip iron boots. They're a battle reward somewhere in that stage

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they give a reason why they are charging full price for a decade old game?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

lets hang out posted:

You need to equip iron boots. They're a battle reward somewhere in that stage

You can also buy them from the rest stop vendor if you missed the reward for whatever reason.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Probably because they had to completely redo everything save for write a new story? Also, Atlus. I don't get why people are mad at it though. I don't even generally buy games full price and I'm not at all upset about the price on this game. It has a ton of content. If you want to wait 6 months it will surely be on sale for $20 though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

because its not just an HD remaster

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

because they completely remade the entire game from the ground up?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm at the 12 hour mark and almost done with Gwendolyn. A couple questions:

1) Is it just the same characters running through the exact same set pieces or is there some variation?

Ummm, I guess I had only one question...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

There's a few more levels total then each character goes through in their book and the same areas are arranged differently for different characters

• Locked thread