Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Feenix posted:

I'm at the 12 hour mark and almost done with Gwendolyn. A couple questions:

1) Is it just the same characters running through the exact same set pieces or is there some variation?

Ummm, I guess I had only one question...
The ordering of the bosses changes, and some books have new bosses and omit other bosses.

The stages themselves will look the same but the dungeons will have changed their overall map. Each book tends to introduce a new gimmick just to break the pace up a bit, they can range from the pointless sand and ice storms and other obstacles that you just throw a potion to clear, to some pretty cool ones like the few SHMUP side scroller rooms in Mercedes' book.

Things also escalate a little in terms of the fights and especially the trials. Bosses and mid bosses will get a little harder in each subsequent book, usually by being slightly more aggressive or pumping out more adds during those particular phases. For example, on Hard, Wagner in Velvet's chapter will spawn A TON of ice elementals and the Large class of ice elementals during his tornado special moves.

Finally, I think the frequency of trials goes up in the later books so you get to partake in the big rear end fights more often than the small fry. I don't think you see one on Gwen's book until maybe the last chapter? They're more common in the later books.

Honestly I'd say your concern is well founded but the game does a good job of mixing up the dungeons that combined with the variations in character, won't bore you in the long run. It was my biggest concern going into the remaster and I couldn't be happier personally.

My ranking of books/characters is probably like:

Cornelius / Velvet > Gwen > Mercedes > Oswald.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they give a reason why they are charging full price for a decade old game?

well the decade old game is included in a package with an almost completely revamped game with the same assets

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
i hope classic mode also includes the lag that made the ps2 chug extremely hard when you first played it

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The collectors boxed edition was at Fry's for only :10bux: more than the downloadable game, and came with a TON of nice goodies. (T-shirt, tin case, artbook, poster, its all very good quality stuff too) so if you're interested in this I would definitely check around your stores and see if you can find it.

About to finish Gwen's story, if you played the original before I would definitely play on Hard. This is a Resident Evil-RE:Make level upgrade, it basically fixes all the clunky UI management and bag stuff from the original and the new combo system is excellent.

I'm so happy with this. Odin Sphere's one of my favorite games, and being able to play it again with all the little nitpicky issues fixed and NO SLOWDOWN is a dream come true.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
fighting odette at a double digit frame rate was insane

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Looper posted:

fighting odette at a double digit frame rate was insane

Most framerates are double digit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You haven't seen PS2 Odette then.

I got to Oswald and I'm on chapter 4 (I think)

I really don't understand him and he moves in such a slippery way it's hard to play as him. Half of his moves wind up hitting enemies twice then moving them behind me while Oswald flings himself violently in some other direction. I need this man to chill.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Stop pushing forward when attacking in berserk form.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Most framerates are double digit.

Not the PS2 Odette fight.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the hidden chest in oswald's storming battlefields has such a bizarre trigger

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I was fine moving from Gwyn to Cornelius on hard - one shitwrecker to another, basically no adjustment needed - but using Mercedes is really fuckin' difficult early on. At the moment I'm spamming homing and power shots until I run out of POW, then fire a Round Shot to clear the area while I reload, then repeat, but I've gotten mulched in a couple of locations.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Thank you game Jesus for making this.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Endorph posted:

literally every problem with the original is fixed
the grind

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Relin posted:

the grind

There really isn't any grind though unless that's just what you're calling doing the same levels with different characters

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ya know, I had thought that they didn't really let you keep anything substantial as you transfer to each new character, but having a growing list of recipes really opens you up for faster leveling. As you go forward, you know which ingredients to hoard back at your item boxes and can make efficient use of the leveling bonuses to kickstart your HP & perks. I bet each successive character has a shorter total playtime than the last. I mean, Gwendolyn took me about 8 hours, but I'm halfway through Oswald and I'm at around 20 hours now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
A question and some thoughts...

1) So I am in the Epilogue and I just got Gungnir special. It says it takes 50PP. My max is 44PP and leveling up doesn't increase it, apparently. What does? I just earned something at the end-game I cannot use?

2) I was playing this game on Hard. I switched to normal at about the 80% complete (for Gwen) because it was starting to feel like endless bullet sponge time wasting. it took forever to down things and bosses. I could do it, it was just annoying.

I am really good at combos and damage avoidance and getting tons of hits in... but was I missing something with regards to my abilities or anything? One bar of a boss, for example would take the better part of 10 minutes, sometimes. It just took too long...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

10 minutes for a bar of health is super unusual, I could melt like 75% of one in the time they let you juggle a boss after launching them. Are you leveling your skills and your psypher? Not leveling your psypher at all would explain your shortage of pp since that gives you some extra. Also maybe a dumb question but I'm assuming you're in line with the levels of enemies?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cake Attack posted:

10 minutes for a bar of health is super unusual, I could melt like 75% of one in the time they let you juggle a boss after launching them. Are you leveling your skills and your psypher? Not leveling your psypher at all would explain your shortage of pp since that gives you some extra. Also maybe a dumb question but I'm assuming you're in line with the levels of enemies?

Always seem to be at or near (within 2) the enemies. My Psypher is like 6 right now... out of 9. I have been leveling it, yes...

Yeah I don't think I've really missed anything in terms of mechanics or things I need to do for parity...

[edit] I also just leveled my Psypher to 7/9 and got 1PP more. /45.

So when I hit level 9 on Psypher (which I doubt will happen before game over for Gwen, I would have... 47PP? I need 50 for Gungnir move. How loving bizarre.

[ed2]

MrAristocrates posted:

Leveling skills also gives you additional PP and other upgrades.

Oh, ok.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 16, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Leveling skills also gives you additional PP and other upgrades.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Any impressions on the PS3 version? No PS4 and playing an action game on the Vita will destroy my tiny 30 year old hands.

I do not care about graphics, I just want a very smooth experience.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Feenix posted:

Always seem to be at or near (within 2) the enemies. My Psypher is like 6 right now... out of 9. I have been leveling it, yes...

Yeah I don't think I've really missed anything in terms of mechanics or things I need to do for parity...

[edit] I also just leveled my Psypher to 7/9 and got 1PP more. /45.

So when I hit level 9 on Psypher (which I doubt will happen before game over for Gwen, I would have... 47PP? I need 50 for Gungnir move. How loving bizarre.

[ed2]

Oh, ok.
You are leveling wrong. Level the skills you use more before leveling the Psypher. The Psypher only gets good returns after like level 6.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So it seems Amazon ran out of stock and won't be sending my order out until the end of the month. Bugger.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally got to Velvet's chapter. She's probably my favorite character to play as. Helps that her chapter is full of trials too due to being the last one.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Is Oswald supposed to have paper thin defenses

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

He's a bit of a glass cannon, yeah. Shouldn't matter too much with how quickly you can kill poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

Any impressions on the PS3 version? No PS4 and playing an action game on the Vita will destroy my tiny 30 year old hands.

I do not care about graphics, I just want a very smooth experience.
i don't think there's any fps drops between ps3 and ps4? just based on looking at youtube vids of ps3 tho

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

I had him wear the vampire+adversity ring so he can rip and tear with reckless abandon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Genocyber posted:

He's a bit of a glass cannon, yeah. Shouldn't matter too much with how quickly you can kill poo poo.

He does have a tendency to get the bosses you can't combo well, though, and the 6th boss for him is obnoxious as poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oswald's Chapter 6 end boss is kind of a shitshow just because of that uninterruptible teleport. It's especially a shame after the ooze trial, which was awesome.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The ooze trial with Velvet is amazing since you're just chaining everything perpetually. The wizard bosses are the worst in general though just cause of their teleporting.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Velvet is so much fun to play as

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The boss I found the worst with Oswald was his prophecy boss. Everyone has a much easier time with that boss. The dive kick is the saving grace on that fight, or just a bunch of blaze potions.

Cake Attack posted:

Velvet is so much fun to play as
Ya I did the post game as Velvet. A+ fun.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Is Velvet supposed to stay on the ground, more or less? Her launcher fails to come out as smoothly as the others, and she sinks like a stone in an aerial combo so far.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Velvet's crouch-charge seems really strong.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
She can do anything once you have spiral drive, the forward drill charge. If you have it at level five you can pretty much infinite air juggle until you leave the screen and then you can reset it with her regular charge. The reset can be tricky and even if you suck at that it won't matter because spiral drive is also good on the ground.

Other cool stuff is the sling grab which leaves you invincible the whole time you are swinging the enemy around.

At the end of her book you get air raid which is also total invincibility while swinging around and you cancel it at any point into spiral drive.

If you want to stay on the ground and hit air borne targets you eventually get round flare which spins you like a helicopter.

She can do everything pretty much. Her PP skills are weaker than Cornelius' though but I liked spamming Flare Shot. The pillar and ground fire spells were useful at times too though.

Anyway spiral drive is when she comes together.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm only on Cornelius so far but the Velvet fights have been the hardest for me and I'm looking forward to her chapter

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Working through Cornelius myself now. The new animations for him are really cool.

I'm most looking forward to Oswald since he was my favorite in the original. He was a bit tricky to get the hang of there too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what's the post game like? Nearing the end I've had my fill of the game but if it's short I might bother with it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's just a boss rush dungeon with every single boss set to level 50 and no trash. No curve balls thrown, just takes awhile and there's no checkpoints so make sure to take all your pots.

Wouldn't bother unless you want the chievo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cleaned away the game in one long push today. What a good remake, but man, the final bosses kind of felt like afterthoughts compared to some of the trials. Cornelius' propechy boss barely did anything, which was probably for the best since I had poo poo-all levelled up that could hit aerial targets without going right through them. I ended up mashing it down with normals.

• Locked thread