Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The healing sound from absorbing HP gets really old, especially with how many hits you can deal. It's too bad they didn't tone it down in some way.
I forgot how much of a jerk Mercedes looks like before you get to her chapter and see the poo poo she's going through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

She's still a jerk for most of that too, though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
True. But knowing the details helps a little. I'm probably just being influenced by the ending, if I'm remembering what happened right.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stelas posted:

Cleaned away the game in one long push today. What a good remake, but man, the final bosses kind of felt like afterthoughts compared to some of the trials. Cornelius' propechy boss barely did anything, which was probably for the best since I had poo poo-all levelled up that could hit aerial targets without going right through them. I ended up mashing it down with normals.
Those bosses do kinda suck yeah, but they are made worse if you fight with them with their prophecy characters except for Velvet's. If you fight with them others they are a bit more fun at least.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Those bosses do kinda suck yeah, but they are made worse if you fight with them with their prophecy characters except for Velvet's. If you fight with them others they are a bit more fun at least.

I dunno. I mean, Cornelius' sucked, but Oswald's was fine once I found a place to stand to easily hit his head. Mercedes has Spirit Call and Infinite Ammo at that point so she didn't care about a drat thing, and Gwyn's seemed totally suited to a lot of aerial motion. Velvet's was easy, but only because I'd decided the Hello I Am A Helicopter move was worth using. Without it I can see it being a bit harder.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 19, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I got stuck on the drat Cauldron for a literal hour. Even with Overdrive potions it would take like 20 minutes to get it down to its final health bar, at which point I'd keep getting killed by the drat tiny missile barrage when the core is exposed. Worst loving boss fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I finished the Cauldron off first try and I'm satisfied as is given the afternoon it alone stole back in the PS2 days.

Just stood at the top and used Round Flare to break everything up there rather easily. Jumped down to the plug (:v:) and used the early spell that throws crawling fire on the ground as well as flame road and just beat on it with spiral drive. It took like 3-4 minutes but was relatively painless.

Had a lot more trouble with Gwendolyns though as I forgot my set up with her entirely and it's a rare example of a boss unable to be stunlocked to hell and back.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just played the first level and got the ice spell but sometimes when i hit circle it doesn't come out even if i have enough blue gems.

it it on a timer i'm not seeing or do i need to hold the button or something and sometimes i'm just tapping it wrong?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It's very possible that you are somehow cancelling the cast before they're fired off. Are you still getting the startup animation for it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

InfinityComplex posted:

It's very possible that you are somehow cancelling the cast before they're fired off. Are you still getting the startup animation for it?

nah if i get the camera freeze and pose i get the spell but sometimes i get nothing when i hit circle. i'll experiment more i'm probably being stupid

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
How did you bind it then? As the first four unregistered ones shown on the skill screen are 'free binds' and as such work regardless of whether or not you're in the air. Furthermore unregistered binds shouldn't conflict with it if you just have the ice spell on circle and nothing else.

edit: questioning when it's midnight weeeee

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 20, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you use the PP count under your health bar, not the number of phozons held that gets displayed in the top right

i didn't realize this right away

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Man, I haven't even finished Gwendolyn's story yet and I'm already caught reminiscing about all my thoughts back when I played the original. They did a really good job keeping the feel of it.

The redone combat is pretty great too. A lot more flexible and exciting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maury's chickencheese will give me the strength to survive Armageddon

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trying to decide between the Vita version and the PS4 version. I want to play the game in as high definition as possible, but I also want to justify having a Vita :ohdear:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Pollyanna posted:

Trying to decide between the Vita version and the PS4 version. I want to play the game in as high definition as possible, but I also want to justify having a Vita :ohdear:
Would you like to play while not in front of your TV?

Get the vita version.

Are you fine with sitting in front of your TV for a week?

Get the ps4 version.

Any thinking beyond that is a waste of everything.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mithaldu posted:

Would you like to play while not in front of your TV?

Get the vita version.

Are you fine with sitting in front of your TV for a week?

Get the ps4 version.

Any thinking beyond that is a waste of everything.

Apparently the game looks quite good on the Vita's OLED screen, so there's that I guess.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man, that Wagner fight with Velvet can go to hell. That took me a lot of tries on Hard, I had to try like four different strategies to deal with the onslaught of ice elementals.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Mercedes is just loving ridiculous. Banshee call, Spirit call, and whatever the other one is coupled with a vampire ring just turns the entire screen into a math book.

Also the Mandragora skill sounds worthless but just use it, it works on any that you throw on the ground so you end up with some hilarious army of flailing freaked out vegetables all over the place.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I really love the feeling of sliding across the screen while bombarding it with shots.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kiss the frog, mercedes

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Reporting in to say gently caress Cornelius' trial fight for volcano stage. First time I've switched down from Hard in a while.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7LmTVnp5C4

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Finished armageddon on the flight back home and although as a whole its a really powerful collection of scenes that ties most of the thing together, I cant help but feel that Mercedes was absolutely hosed over it.

Yeah yea shes annoying for most of the game but having her mature as a character from a completely ignorant little girl hunting frogs to a competent leader of her country and completely humiliating Odin only to have her die in despair having just seen the man she loved dead seemed like worst possible outcome for her. Sure her actions guarantee that the world doesnt get hosed over again by Onyx later on but she never gets to see it happen unless shes sentient in tree form.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Anyone else trying to tackle hero mode? I'm still on Gwendolyn's chapter and so far level 9 Ice Spirits seem to be the way to go, allows for at least six mistakes

edit: and Blizzard spam

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Finished armageddon on the flight back home and although as a whole its a really powerful collection of scenes that ties most of the thing together, I cant help but feel that Mercedes was absolutely hosed over it.

Yeah yea shes annoying for most of the game but having her mature as a character from a completely ignorant little girl hunting frogs to a competent leader of her country and completely humiliating Odin only to have her die in despair having just seen the man she loved dead seemed like worst possible outcome for her. Sure her actions guarantee that the world doesnt get hosed over again by Onyx later on but she never gets to see it happen unless shes sentient in tree form.
There's a bonus scene regarding your spoiler if you get the super duper true ending that is related. Not sure it will change your mind but yeah.

If you just wanna see it here it is - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ijFSrpjZjG4/hqdefault.jpg

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's like I'm playing Marvel vs Capcom but single player and the juggles are somehow longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAR4kwvduD0

This game is loving great

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rascyc posted:

There's a bonus scene regarding your spoiler if you get the super duper true ending that is related. Not sure it will change your mind but yeah.

If you just wanna see it here it is - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ijFSrpjZjG4/hqdefault.jpg

It actually did, but I had to see the youtube to actually get an idea of what was happening. drat couldn't they have just shown that in the first place instead of having to unlock a bunch of extra scenes.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The sound effects in this game are oddly satisfying. The music is pretty good too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a particular trick to using Velvet? I haven't quite figured out what her gimmick is yet besides "has long chain".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a particular trick to using Velvet? I haven't quite figured out what her gimmick is yet besides "has long chain".

Set down fire and whack away. Velvet is one of the easiest characters to play and frankly I think she breaks any difficulty over her knee with only one or two moves.

Here's my first attempt at the chapter 6 boss with her It's on normal but should still show what I mean :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Her fire attack that rolls through the floor combined the the spiral drill will carry the game for you. You'll want to upgrade the one where she spins around with her whip on both ends too for stationary mobs. Fire pillar is also good I guess.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
She goes from kinda sucky to god mode once you get the drill. Just tough it out until then. I liked the very first fire bullet skill myself.

Until you get drill I just used the first chain move and the grab that flips people around.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Her fire attack that rolls through the floor combined the the spiral drill will carry the game for you. You'll want to upgrade the one where she spins around with her whip on both ends too for stationary mobs. Fire pillar is also good I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Set down fire and whack away. Velvet is one of the easiest characters to play and frankly I think she breaks any difficulty over her knee with only one or two moves.

Here's my first attempt at the chapter 6 boss with her It's on normal but should still show what I mean :v:

So basically what I've been doing already: relying on one or two skills that hit the most often and cheesing away. :v: She's definitely my personal favorite of all the characters, and is the most fun to play IMO. Thanks!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Velvet has a skill that's like "does more damage the further away you are from enemies" but all her skills shove her against enemies so I spent a good portion of time wondering what exactly I was doing wrong. Then I noticed it only added like, +10 or so to my damage at best and decided not to worry about it and just cheese away with her insanely broken moves.

I honestly think it goes Cornelius > Velvet > Gwen > Mercedes > Oswald in how easy it is to break the game. I still don't understand what I should be doing with Oswald whenever I go back and play as him- he attacks soooo slowly when he's not in berserk mode that he's auto delisted to A rank most of the time, and as a Berserker he doesn't get the same air-time on hits that the others do so when enemies float or whatever it's all about jumping up and down in place trying to hit things. He has a million different passive boosts so I don't know what attacks are actually useful.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You weren't kidding about that skill combo. :stare: I've gotten at least one 450+ chain with that.

Also, holy poo poo King Valentine is disgusting. Velvet's chapters are hard to watch sometimes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Lightning Saber owns and feels super good to use, Cornelius is the bomb

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so I finished the game, and it's just been stuck on one screen. Am I supposed to reset or something? I didn't think we had to do that since the N64 days.

edit: Nevermind, my controller just died :downs:

Rascyc posted:

super duper true ending

So I know that the idea is to match the right fighters to the right bosses, but does this lead to the same thing, or is there somehow an ending further beyond that? Aside from the curtain call.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 2, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Double post, but I saw everything in the game, finally. About the last scene, is the Curtain Call supposed to imply something about the world? Did it somehow reset to before the apcalypse, or is it just a bonus thing? Otherwise, is Alice's world supposed to be ours, or somehow the one that came after Erion? And who is the guy talking to, and why are they supposed to be writing Odin Sphere?

Prolly overthinking this, but I'm curious.

edit: And is there anything else after unlocking all the scenes? Aside from NG+.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

finally finished oswalt. least fun character by far imo

• Locked thread