Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so I finished the game, and it's just been stuck on one screen. Am I supposed to reset or something? I didn't think we had to do that since the N64 days.

edit: Nevermind, my controller just died :downs:

So I know that the idea is to match the right fighters to the right bosses, but does this lead to the same thing, or is there somehow an ending further beyond that? Aside from the curtain call.
That gives you the good ending. If you take the 'wrong' people you will either get a special scene at the start of the fight or something super generic. The special scenes may fill in some holes here and there. The generic ones are rather useless. Use the cat with Alice on the chair to see your scene checklist on what you still need to unlock. You can view everything in two complete and two partial play throughs IIRC.

If you do all of that you get to see the final ending which resolves one big thing and also gives you a small nod to one small thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I can't believe Oswald has to fight that drat airship two chapters in a row

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I 100%ed this game the other day and it was great. Got both endings and the special extended ending, and the "curtain call", all on Hard difficulty all the way. Picked up a copy of Grand Kingdom afterwards which I plan on messing with after I play Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

pissdude posted:

I 100%ed this game the other day and it was great. Got both endings and the special extended ending, and the "curtain call", all on Hard difficulty all the way. Picked up a copy of Grand Kingdom afterwards which I plan on messing with after I play Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Nah dude, you didn't 100% unless you 100% heroic mode. You know this.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Not sure why people didn't like Oswald, he remains the funnest (for me, anyway.) I think the idea really is to just stay in shadowform and spam with him though, he just does silly damage. The only thing I had trouble with was the Horn Mountain rock golems. He has real issues with those.

Jumping to lvl 1 Velvet after murder-beasting for the past few hours is kinda rough!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mistaya posted:

The only thing I had trouble with was the Horn Mountain rock golems. He has real issues with those.

yeah the fight with two of them with oswald is one of the hardest fights in the game imo.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The gameplay is what kept me from getting really into the first one but they've fixed it so now it's really cool and good.

I'm taking a two week break due to travel before I hit the Doomsday chapter, I feel like I never got a good feel for Velvet. Pretty much every boss fight took a while.

Is there a particularly good way to grind up phozons and whatever else? I'm guessing rank 9 xtra phozons but I remember getting quite a few from stuff like the ooze fights because so many enemies. Same for bumping up materials, I guess it's pretty much just grind for stuff like cocoa?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game is great and has even better combat than Muramasa, which I loved. I can't wait for Vanillaware to tell us more about that mech game they are making next.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

The gameplay is what kept me from getting really into the first one but they've fixed it so now it's really cool and good.

I'm taking a two week break due to travel before I hit the Doomsday chapter, I feel like I never got a good feel for Velvet. Pretty much every boss fight took a while.

Is there a particularly good way to grind up phozons and whatever else? I'm guessing rank 9 xtra phozons but I remember getting quite a few from stuff like the ooze fights because so many enemies. Same for bumping up materials, I guess it's pretty much just grind for stuff like cocoa?

i found the best way to grind was to simply re-clear stages. the repeat rewards frequently high end cooking ingredients, the extra seeds you can jam into xtra phozon potions, and the extra potions you can combine.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fight the slime mini boss in Valentine City or w/e

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I've really disliked playing as Oswald, even more than Mercedes. At least she had a playstyle change up with being focused on range, Oswald's just a worse version of the two other brawlers, even with berserker mode

Part of it's probably fatigue from hard mode tho, I ended up switching down to normal after struggling all through Winterhorn mountain

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oswald is really just super bad for winterhorn, I didn't mind him as a whole

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Finally sat down and finished it out, got the true final ending, had a blast.

Velvet's last trial was a fun challenge!

The only boss in the Armageddon rush I really dislike is Gallon because it takes forever and you have to do it every time ugh. But yeah, great game, A+++ would recommend to anyone who likes beat-em-ups.

I still like Oswald. :colbert: Honest Gwen is probably my least favorite because of how her flying mechanic works, it makes perfect sense for the character but the time-to-turn and it's hard to get her to land where you need her to. That's not saying much though because I like everybody.

O D I N S P H E R E

Probably going to go plat it tonight, just missing a couple of the 'eat three times' things.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Velvet is super cool and I like basically all of her physicals and then how easily her first psypher move stunlocks things. Her movement's weird and really forces you to commit to going somewhere because of big windups before it actually happens, but I'm digging it for now

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mistaya posted:

I still like Oswald. :colbert: Honest Gwen is probably my least favorite because of how her flying mechanic works, it makes perfect sense for the character but the time-to-turn and it's hard to get her to land where you need her to. That's not saying much though because I like everybody.

I think Gwendolyn is intended to ease new players into the game somewhat. She has the least twitchy movement which is good since you don't have to track your own flipping around while also learning enemy movement patterns, and she's also the tankiest character with her shield and all those ice moves that immobilize enemies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm glad she had her aerial moveset though. It's one of the twitchiest in the game and you can air combo for days.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol I got ganked on the last bar of Velvet's Armageddon boss, down to normal for the refight we goooo

Since I'm probably getting the ~true ending~ tonight, what's there to do once that's over with? I see that I'm only at 50% trophies with 2 bosses to go in the ending. Also, should Maurie's food trophy have shown up by now? I thought I had eaten one of everything, but idk if there's postgame recipes or something

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a few recipes that you only get by eating three of certain dishes. Also you need to get a single character to level 65 for the all abilities trophy, and you'll need to play through Armageddon a few more times to get all the scenes.

There's also a postgame boss rush.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

There's a few recipes that you only get by eating three of certain dishes. Also you need to get a single character to level 65 for the all abilities trophy, and you'll need to play through Armageddon a few more times to get all the scenes.

There's also a postgame boss rush.

wow gently caress that boss rush

It took me an hour even on easy

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I just beat this game, got the good ending. The final boss rush was tiresome though. For the entire game beforehand, the key to success with everybody but mercedes was literally "spam the pow attack that hits a bunch while wearing vamp ring, power stone, and mars bangle." Then none of the last bosses are solid so all those sweet-rear end multi-hit moves just fly right through things. I was on normal so it wasn't any trouble but it did slow things down considerably.

Went back and read the thread and I am really surprised people were having trouble with Oswald. His multi-stab attack is the best out of anyone's and you can just do disgusting damage between that and the pp skill that also zerks you. None of my boss fights during his chapter lasted more than a minute and a half.

Also surprised to see complaints about grinding. I never had issues staying on-level with the areas I was in and I never grew food that wasn't fed entirely by rosemelie's. I did bee-line gourmet first thing every time though. I aggressively ate food at Moury's and the pooaka cake and I also cleared out whole levels though.

On the whole I liked it a lot, it's a huge improvement over the ps2 version.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Bring Vanillaware to PC you fuckers. Stop having them be on Playstations. :cry:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Has anyone found out why they named the remake after Oswald, the shittiest and most bitchmade of all the playable characters

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Because Leifthrasir is an actual thing in Norse mythology and makes perfect sense with the game's setting and story.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I am Scandinavian, I know who Livtraser is

my question is why would you name the remake after Oswald, he is a turd

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I made it all the way to oswald and now I've kind of lost interest.

Doesn't help that I'm up on Winterhorn loving ridge fighting the double golem challenge room and fuuuuuuuuck those guys.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Instant Grat posted:

Has anyone found out why they named the remake after Oswald, the shittiest and most bitchmade of all the playable characters

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The problem with this game is the best and funnesterest character is up first and it's really all downhill from there.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Velvet is last though

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

gannyGrabber posted:

The problem with this game is the best and funnesterest character is up first and it's really all downhill from there.

Tornado Murderbunny is loving awesome

Also if you can get through Oswald you will probably have some fun with Velvet, she sets everything on fire and turns into a drill. It's good

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've played the first 2 stories and finding very hard to start the third one. Grinding a lot of food to eat 100+ dishes and a lvl 9 Yoghurt at once is a pain.

I know that I don't need to, but how can I say no to getting 40+ levels at once :smith:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I've played the first 2 stories and finding very hard to start the third one. Grinding a lot of food to eat 100+ dishes and a lvl 9 Yoghurt at once is a pain.

I know that I don't need to, but how can I say no to getting 40+ levels at once :smith:

By not being a masochist and concentrating on having fun and finishing the game instead of min/maxing? :shrug:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You definitely don't need to go that far, though I would at least recommend saving as much money as possible in all stages prior then sinking it into top-tier ingredients to hand off to Maury along with the Yoghurt potion. Until you reach that point you can basically do whatever you like. I didn't really go super optimizing on Gwendolyn and she still came out a similar level to everyone else, just lacking skill levels because I hadn't been sucking everything into Phozon potions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yeah, I did 90% of Cornelius without using the restaurant and my only problem area was the twin shadows miniboss. I think the main problem is that I don't like Mercedes weapon and I'm trying to find an excuse to avoid playing as her.

Valentine Coins are shared between all characters, right?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Not as far as I remember, no.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

because that's the ending of the game

I am sad that the title wasn't, "ODIN SPHERE: GWENDOLYN DESTROYS EVERYTHING" though

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, I did 90% of Cornelius without using the restaurant and my only problem area was the twin shadows miniboss. I think the main problem is that I don't like Mercedes weapon and I'm trying to find an excuse to avoid playing as her.

Once you've finished Velvet's epilogue you can share everyone's chests between each other, but there's no way to transfer the magic coins

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Instant Grat posted:

It's named after the ending of the game

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I only saw that this had released a few days ago, but it looks like it's worth buying the game for a third time. Does it change up the core loop of the first one where you suffer through to unlocking the forest and kitchen, stop to spend several hours on a mulberry/yogurt farming spree so you can survive, then play through the rest normally? That was what killed my attempts to replay the original.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You don't ever have to stop for extra resources like that, no. Just as long as you're eating at Maury's whenever possible, and spending all your V-bucks between levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mailer posted:

I only saw that this had released a few days ago, but it looks like it's worth buying the game for a third time. Does it change up the core loop of the first one where you suffer through to unlocking the forest and kitchen, stop to spend several hours on a mulberry/yogurt farming spree so you can survive, then play through the rest normally? That was what killed my attempts to replay the original.

The new combat system gives you such a huge amount of tools that you can pretty much punk the game forever on Normal difficulty. Some fights will give you pause on Hard but by and large it's just good old slaughter-everything fun.

• Locked thread