Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
I loved this show, watched through it twice now. I definitely got some heavy Avatar vibes off it and me and my wife started mentioning how different characters were the space version of Avatar characters. Lance was totally space Sokka (which made him my instant favorite) Keith was space Mako (Their rivalry had me laughing to tears at times "I cradled you in my arms!?!"). Dry old Coran now possessed by the ghost of Varrick and Hunk was pretty much space Bolin who quit his work out but never slowed down his diet.

The humor was great, the action was awesome. I actually liked that the characters got to do more than just ride in Voltron. It was cool to actually have action involving the team in the field more as well as actually have the lions do something other than form Voltron. The sparing use of the Robeasts actually made them seem like a credible threat rather than fodder for Voltron to mow down. By the finally we actually see how far they really come and it is cool seeing them go from struggling to control their lions and form Voltron to unleashing on the Galra.

My wife never watched the old show so she was really confused when I yelled out "PRINCE LOTOR!!!" during the finale. I hope we get some other classic Voltron characters next season like Queen Merla and Stride the Tiger Fighter (Stride could totally be used in an arc with the new reckless, headstrong Keith).

Complaints: WHY DID IT HAVE TO END WHERE IT DID?!?!? I was all super sucked in from the finale and was ready to binge at least 3 more but that was the end. Some argue the villians are flat but I feel like we will get more on the Galra and Zarkon next season, especially if that one Galra is who I hoped/hope he is.

I don't know if this if it has been cleared for a second season or not as I have not bothered to look into it yet but if you liked it PLEASE tell your friends to watch it. I need a second season and more views is our only way there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a Dreamworks show and Netflix has been courting Dreamworks really, really hard for the past few years, they even got a 52 episode order on that new season of the how to train your dragon cartoon that uses new assets, so I wouldn't be shocked if it was practically a sure thing from before the season got finished. That said, with how Netflix operates I don't think we'll ever get more than thirteen episodes at a time, which isn't necessarily bad but god I hope they don't give us a cliffhanger like this every time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Writh posted:

I don't know if this if it has been cleared for a second season or not as I have not bothered to look into it yet but if you liked it PLEASE tell your friends to watch it. I need a second season and more views is our only way there.

Has netflix ever canceled a show? It'll happen eventually but so far it feels like netflix works so closely with creators that all their shows end in finales and if a show was really bad they'd still make sure to make a 1 episode ending season or something rather than cut it off.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Has netflix ever canceled a show? It'll happen eventually but so far it feels like netflix works so closely with creators that all their shows end in finales and if a show was really bad they'd still make sure to make a 1 episode ending season or something rather than cut it off.

I'm personally not 100% sure but either way a show that has good view numbers would be more likely to avoid any kind of chopping block. Besides, more people need to enjoy this show just on how cool it is anyways!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I binge watched this over two days and it was surprisingly good. Definitely looking forward to season 2, but annoyed that I will have to wait so long. I may or may not watch it again later--haven't decided yet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So does the series have a toy line yet?

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I would buy the hell out of a fully formable version of this Voltron in a heartbeat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not until Spring 2017
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300220594.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
You can buy the 80s toys on eBay for way too much money, though!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eikre posted:

Similarly, I thought that original "BA baba da-ba, bup BA BA" fanfare in the original theme would have made a pretty good sting, but I haven't managed to identify it as a motif in any of the four(ish?) episodes I've caught so far. Am I mistaken? Because roughly 90% of my memory of the original show is that theme playing while Voltron extended his hands for post-assembly lion roars, and since I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this, I find it honestly kind of surprising that it isn't in the pile of appropriations.

There might have been licencing issues with the original music. I know that when they released Kimba The White Lion on VHS here in Australia it didn't have the original 60s theme song (which was by Bill Giant, Bernie Baum and Florence Kaye, who co-wrote a whole bunch of Elvis' songs) and it had a lovely new version instead.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

You can buy the 80s toys on eBay for way too much money, though!

I remember as a kid me and some other kid I think our parents were friends or something.

We both had voltron toys, but mine was smaller and yellow part of the head didnt pop out to make the horns like his did.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Everything I want coming out Spring 2017.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

max4me posted:

I remember as a kid me and some other kid I think our parents were friends or something.

We both had voltron toys, but mine was smaller and yellow part of the head didnt pop out to make the horns like his did.

I had a friend who had a giant Voltron. At the time I thought it was as big as us, but I doubt it was really that large. Anyway, he didn't even know what it was. Just thought it was a rainbow colored robot. I was devastated that he had something that cool and I didn't and he couldn't even appreciate it. :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I made an effort post I was originally going to post on 4chan's /m/, but which I'm going to post here instead, mostly because it's way longer than the post limit and breaking it up in to 4 different posts seems both like more effort than I want (which is funny considering I didn't mind the effort of typing it) and because 4 long posts there seems kind of needless and lovely. I'll presage this by saying that I never saw Voltron as a kid (slightly before my time even I think, as well as being the wrong continent), but I have known about it for some time due to /m/.

That done, I enjoyed the first season, but I found myself having some recurring niggles with the show's world building and so on throughout the season. They're all minor things, but outside the season finale I found them myself regularly wondering about them which tells me that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I could have been, to say minor stuff was on my mind and constantly keeping me from fully engaging with the show.

For a start I didn't like how they handled the Lion's assignments. Princess Allura first states that the Lions choose their pilots. Then immediately after assigns the pilots to specific Lions based on personality qualities she should have had no idea if they matched up to given how brief her time with them had been at that point. I also had a problem with her saying the Lions were scattered to protect them from the Galra after saying that the Lions choose their pilots through a mystical bond that can't be forced, since it implied that even if the Galra got them they'd be worthless since they wouldn't be able to pilot them. I held off on any comment (beyond saying that the Lions being maneless was weird and probably made them female in one of the other threads) till the finale specifically in case any of my niggles were addressed though, and I guess the finale went some way to addressing that. I still think the Galra wouldn't have found pilots for at least one of the Lions (the Yellow one, requiring a pilot that was self-sacrificing) even if they had them all though, and that the character's worry over the Galra having them for even a moment was weird given the nature of the pilot assignment.

What was even weirder was that Keith, and Keith alone had to prove his character to his Lion to gain piloting rights - since by Allura's words the Lions should mystically have been able to tell their character from a glance. So why did he have to prove anything to the Red Lion? Shouldn't it already know he was capable of whatever, same as the Black Lion knew Shiro was a good leader?

I also didn't like that Pidge and Hunk seemed to have an immediate and complete understanding of technology that should have been far beyond them. Even if you took the best engineer in the world and showed them tech that was from a hundred years hence they'd struggle to understand any of it and would need time to comprehend it. And technology that allows for FTL, giant robots, plasma shielding and so on was shown to be far beyond them, because both the Alteans and the Galra were intergalactic space faring races, while Humans had only just managed to reach Pluto. Yet Pidge manages to rewire a Galra drone immediately, Hunk can repair spaceships and they both understand the technology in the Castle of Lions by the looks of it.

What's worse is that Pidge not only understands that tech, she appears to have a greater understanding of it and Voltron itself than either Allura or Coran considering she can apply the invisible walls technology of the Alteans to the Green Lion. Where Voltron is supposed to be made of a a mix of technology and magic beyond the knowing of anyone. If Pidge can just redo it within 6 or 7 episodes of meeting it, that doesn't suggest supernatural tech that's beyond anyone's understanding.

Even their adaptation to the Paladin suits bugged me though, because while Hunk voiced some doubts about them before donning them - immediately afterwards they're all using them like second nature. Them fitting at all seems like it could have used an explanation, especially when Hunk still has to wrangle his helmet in to place throughout the season. If they were a morphing suit that could fit anyone then he shouldn't have to. More annoying though is that they just zip around using the thrusters, summoning shields and the like, as if they've always done so.

I also thought Zarkon's desire for Voltron, even with the finale's confirmation the Paladins are underusing it massively, is kind of stupid. He says he wants it for "Ultimate Power", but what exactly is "Ultimate Power"? He's a 10, 000 year old super alien that can dominate giant robots in a physical fight and controls the entire galaxy using a mix of magic and technology. What exactly is having Voltron going to do for him that he doesn't already have? Any martial, physical, strategic, personal, mystical or technological power that he would get from it would appear to be useless since he's not going to get anything more than the galaxy using it really is he? And he's already immortal and physically capable. So what will it do?

There's probably others I'm forgetting, but they're all minor niggles that hampered my enjoyment of the show. I think the show had bigger issues too though. The fact the show relied so much on humor and used it so much squashed any tension that the show was building and made jokes out of several scenes that could have been more emotional. Sometimes the jokes coming thick and fast or out of nowhere worked, but occasionally it made what could have been an interesting scene just another chance for humor instead, like when the Castle of Lions was infected and turning against them or what have you. It's hard to take it as a serious threat when it's constantly a chance for jokes, between food attacking or Keith and Lance squabbling.

The Galra are fairly flat as an enemy too, and I feel like I know nothing about them or any of their leaders or goals after one season of the show. The Druid dude that Keith fought in episode 10 definitely had a great design though, and I prefer that bird like mask to Haggar's design honestly. I didn't like that Voltron barely appeared in the show's climax either. I wouldn't mind it if this was season two, since we'd be more used to it then and playing with expectations like that then is fine in my opinion, but I do think the titular bot should at least appear in the climax of the first season and actually do something. I didn't mind it's absence outside of that instance.

Ultimately though I enjoyed it and I look forward to season two whenever it comes out. I hope the production crew were able to use season one to get comfortable with the show and that they can expand the universe and fix some of the issues with a second season, but even if it's more of the same I'll almost certainly watch and enjoy it regardless.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Even if they can't use the Lions normally, the Galra have enough weird tech/magic that they could do something with them that probably isn't good. In the final episode it seems like Zarkon is using a spell to hijack the Black Lion instead of letting it chose him.

And Zarkon's obsession make complete sense, it's psychological, not strategic. He obsesses over Voltron because it was denied from him.

The other complains, they're more up to taste/genre conventions/the magical suspenders of disbelief so I've got nothing. It's is a bit like Goldblum hacking an alien ship with his Mac.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't like how the pilots are all guys..

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't like how the pilots are all guys..

Ehhh... If you're still early on in the series, keep watching.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not really the same.

They just say it, but everything is back to status quo. They even keep using the same character model and poor Katie has to keep Hilary Swanking.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Bad guys don't want to ride voltron, they just want to make sure the guys fighting them aren't riding it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Aphrodite posted:

It's not really the same.

They just say it, but everything is back to status quo. They even keep using the same character model and poor Katie has to keep Hilary Swanking.

I get what you mean. Once the reveal is out there, she could feasibly revert to her previous look. It's not directly addressed, but I'm guessing that's just what she's comfortable looking like now?

a.k.a. they didn't want to adjust the character model sheets for her. That might be something which could be adjusted between seasons. I'm not sure if that could fall into the next set of episodes since I think they're still considered part of the first season order. So maybe season "3". That would also allow them to adjust some of the other pilot differences if they plan to bring it closer in line with the original at some point.

Teek fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 15, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even if they can't use the Lions normally, the Galra have enough weird tech/magic that they could do something with them that probably isn't good. In the final episode it seems like Zarkon is using a spell to hijack the Black Lion instead of letting it chose him.

And Zarkon's obsession make complete sense, it's psychological, not strategic. He obsesses over Voltron because it was denied from him.

The other complains, they're more up to taste/genre conventions/the magical suspenders of disbelief so I've got nothing. It's is a bit like Goldblum hacking an alien ship with his Mac.

The show mentions on two or three occasions that the Paladins share a psychic link with their Lions, which allows them to do things like see through the eyes of their Lions. It was almost definitely that that Zarkon used to compel the Black Lion to come to him, since he used to be it's Paladin and all. As for his obsession, I don't think it's psychological. I did consider it, since it would make sense, but the show appears to be playing up the idea that having it will give him something he can't get or do without Voltron. Which can't be galactic control, physical might or immortality, since he already has all three for all intents and purposes. Which is why I find it odd that he's so obsessed with it, when him being over it or simply psychologically obsessed like you mention would make more sense.

I'd say the other complaints are less down to taste, genre conventions or suspension of disbelief since I watch mech shows quite a bit and like at least some of them, many of which are rife with genre problems. I'd say it's more down to odd writing choices. Allura going asleep for 10 millenia and humanity being a backwards species compared to the Alteans and Galra seems to be kind of worthless for one, with a rejigger so that humanity ran in to them while expanding and being aware of them for several decades, if not under their rule being a better way to do much the same thing.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bad guys don't want to ride voltron, they just want to make sure the guys fighting them aren't riding it.

I highly doubt it. Partially because Zarkon was aware that the new Voltron Paladins weren't very good at using it, but still wanted it to be his instead of just destroying it to prevent them using it against him if/when they get good, partially because he was almost certainly using the psychic bond he shared with the Black Lion by being it's Paladin at one point to compel it to come to him, but mostly because you don't go around talking about how having X will give you ultimate power if having X will actually just prevent what you have from being taken from you.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 15, 2016

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It seemed like people thought that Voltron could somehow defeat him.

Also, if I used to be the Paladin of a giant, magical, sentient(?), lion robot, I'd probably not want that thing just out and about after being hidden away for 10,000 years. Moreso if I had a psychic connection with it.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Allura's life force is linked to the lions, who have psychic power to sense if they are able to connect with a pilot. It is not too far a stretch to say that may demonstrate itself as intuition, they've made clear Allura has a lot more going on than she first seemed when we met her but that is just speculation.

I don't think Keith had to prove himself to the red lion. Allura mentioned, in a much nicer way, the red lion is an rear end in a top hat. It knew Keith was its kind of rear end in a top hat but it had to be an rear end in a top hat about it and wait till he almost died, morale of the story; red lions is jerks. Honestly, it was the only lion that demonstrated its temperament.

Pidge modding green lion isn't that far a stretch. Pidge clearly is demonstrated as having a gift for technology and she has the benefit of Coran, the castle's keeper. They don't really have to show the part where Pidge has Coran explain systems that make the invisible walls work on a technical level before she tries to make a modular copy of it to install in green lion. I took it more that she just hooked a box into the lion that would work with any ship, again probably enlisting Coran to fill the blanks.

They also showed the Voltron Force was training to the point of collapse early on. In the episode where the castle attacks them Keith even heads down to do some combat training. They received a rushed basic and because it is not interesting enough to show we don't see their continued training. As for the suits you got me there, since we got space magic science refitting the suits would probably not be a big deal I think the helmet is just a visual gag.

The Galra would definitely be able to find someone to pilot the yellow lion. It is all about sacrifice and Zarkon is the evil king of THE KNOWN UNIVERSE. I'm sure he has someone who has an intense loyalty to him who would sacrifice for him. I mostly took his desire to have Voltron as one removing a threat and two gaining what has been called "The most powerful weapon in the universe" regardless of how strong he is now he wasn't always that way (I assume). The concern becomes when someone else gets that strong. Better to be Zarkon strong and riding in Voltron than not. He did mention that the lions were not as strong as they should be in the hands of our current pilots. Voltron's power could be proportional to the power of it pilots (however that power is measured). Besides that, since it is made with space magic, do we even know if Voltron CAN be destroyed. Every time we've seen those "danger lights" going off in the cockpit the outside of the lion doesn't look like it is in that bad of shape. Not to mention if the lions are anything like in the old show they each should have a crystal like the castle of Lions so they can theoretically be corrupted.

I took what happened with Shiro as Zarkon's connection with Black Lion being stronger. He was the original Black Paladin, he rules the known universe, and Black Lion likes natural leaders.

Since we saw what I assume was Prince Lotor in the finally I hope that means we will see a little more of what is going on behind the curtain in the Galra empire next season.

Writh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 15, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm pretty sure it was the big spell the Druids had just cast on him, what with it being set-up for multiple episodes and a big scene. If he could just hijack it he would have done so straight away instead of needing a power-up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Writh posted:

Allura's life force is linked to the lions, who have psychic power to sense if they are able to connect with a pilot. It is not too far a stretch to say that may demonstrate itself as intuition, they've made clear Allura has a lot more going on than she first seemed when we met her but that is just speculation.

That makes sense. The scene still sets badly with me on a conceptual level, but it's a good explanation for it.

Writh posted:

I don't think Keith had to prove himself to the red lion. Allura mentioned, in a much nicer way, the red lion is an rear end in a top hat. It knew Keith was its kind of rear end in a top hat but it had to be an rear end in a top hat about it and wait till he almost died, morale of the story; red lions is jerks. Honestly, it was the only lion that demonstrated its temperament.

My question is why it was the only Lion that had that need for demonstration and I don't really buy the idea that it's just because the Red Lion has a dickish personality. Allura does mention that he'll have to earn the Red Lion's respect because it's temperamental just before she sends Keith off to get it by the way. That's as good an explanation as is ever likely to come up though, but again, it sits badly with me on a conceptual level. I don't expect anyone else to share that opinion by the way, or really hold it against the show. It's just a thing that niggles at me while watching it. I wouldn't mind it if I was completely in to the show and have overlooked bigger issues on other shows I do like often.

Writh posted:

Pidge modding green lion isn't that far a stretch. Pidge clearly is demonstrated as having a gift for technology and she has the benefit of Coran, the castle's keeper. They don't really have to show the part where Pidge has Coran explain systems that make the invisible walls work on a technical level before she tries to make a modular copy of it to install in green lion. I took it more that she just hooked a box into the lion that would work with any ship, again probably enlisting Coran to fill the blanks.

I don't even think it's just a stretch, but actively a bad idea, because having someone who's just seen that kind of technology understand it and able to mod it undercuts the futuristic quality of that technology and the point of making it an alien race or so advanced in the first place. Pidge and Hunk being able to modify Galra, Altean and Voltron tech as soon as they see it in such a blase manner makes it seem like there's nothing impressive about the technology. I don't think they need to show her getting a technical explanation on it's specs to do it, but I do think her doing it needs to be given more weight by the show and that if Coran had to help her then that would actually be a good idea to show since it'd not just give him more screen time but help fill in the supernatural nature of the technology just by needing two people to work together to do it at all.

Writh posted:

As for the suits you got me there, since we got space magic science refitting the suits would probably not be a big deal I think the helmet is just a visual gag.

It's definitely a visual gag, and I think a good one personally. I don't actually mind that he has to at all. I only mention it because I found them being able to wear and use the outfits so naturally kind of jarring. Bringing up something so minor as the fitting of the suit was me trying to find little issues with the whole idea they could use them so perfectly from the get go to explain why it stood out to me in the first place.

Writh posted:

The Galra would definitely be able to find someone to pilot the yellow lion. It is all about sacrifice and Zarkon is the evil king of THE KNOWN UNIVERSE. I'm sure he has someone who has an intense loyalty to him who would sacrifice for him. I mostly took his desire to have Voltron as one removing a threat and two gaining what has been called "The most powerful weapon in the universe" regardless of how strong he is now he wasn't always that way (I assume). The concern becomes when someone else gets that strong. Better to be Zarkon strong and riding in Voltron than not. He did mention that the lions were not as strong as they should be in the hands of our current pilots.

He might have been able to find someone to replace them, but I don't think subservience is the same as self-sacrifice, especially for beings able to innately sense real personality and intention. I don't think he wanted to simply prevent Voltron being used against him or desired it because he saw it as his and couldn't stand it was taken from him though. If it was there's no real point in him talking about how having Voltron will grant him ultimate power, or him and Haggar talking about how energy collection and conquest could be forgotten and the real goal of capturing Voltron could be given priority going forward because energy production was now so easy. It suggests they put greater emphasis on using Voltron than galactic conquest, rather than that Voltron was simply an impediment to conquest they wanted to ensure couldn't be used against them.

Writh posted:

I took what happened with Shiro as Zarkon's connection with Black Lion being stronger. He was the original Black Paladin, he rules the known universe, and Black Lion likes natural leaders.

That's definitely what happened. He even says that Shiro's connection is weak compared to his own. I don't know if I gave off an impression he did it by some other means, but this is certainly what I meant.

Writh posted:

Since we saw what I assume was Prince Lotor in the finally I hope that means we will see a little more of what is going on behind the curtain in the Galra empire next season.

Hopefully. I still think it's a little sad we got less character out of the Galra this season, but they may have wanted to concentrate on world building and the good guys this season and put that off till next season (or the continuation of this season? Whatever) because of it. This season was pretty densely packed, even if I didn't like all the inclusions.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm pretty sure it was the big spell the Druids had just cast on him, what with it being set-up for multiple episodes and a big scene. If he could just hijack it he would have done so straight away instead of needing a power-up.

The only spell that's set up for multiple episodes with a big scene pay off is Haggar collecting quintessence by draining a whole planet at once. And even then, the spell itself is only shown in that one episode, with a bit of later payoff when Keith attacks a druid. Which is the last time we see her in any capacity before the finale, at which point she and Zarkon both talk about how the experiment itself was a success and that it's payoff is they can now afford to forget mining and colonizing and concentrate on Voltron. Before Haggar uses said quintessence to make a Robeast and send it to attack Voltron. We don't see her again till the finale, we only see Zarkon chastising Prorog for underestimating Voltron and the only druid in view is the one Keith fights, who's confirmed to be collecting or distilling quintessence by Coran. The Solar Barrier being raised on Zarkon's order is given a bigger scene in the finale than the druid's casting a spell on him.

He also does hijack it straight away. He does so literally the first time he sees it in the entire show, with him just ordering it captured and brought to him maybe twice in the space of a few weeks prior to that point. We see multiple shots of him overlaid on Voltron/Shiro/the Black Lion while talking, at one point even mentioning that Shiro's connection with it is weak, just before it ejects Shiro and comes to him. The only spell he gets in the finale is a couple of druids casting lightning on him just before that, which is almost certainly to boost his mind so he can communicate with the Lion over distance or despite Shiro. There is no build up to the scene, no multi episode set up - it just happens.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For the entire season, Zarkon stays away from Voltron while planning something with the Druids. His commander questions that, eventually trying (and failing) with a plan of his own. Then when Voltron comes to him, the Druids cast the "power-boost" spell on him, making him strong enough to "Brute Force" the Black Lion. Which doesn't seem alright. And responds to Shiro when he manages to get back in.

It's not spelled out, because our viewpoints characters don't see it or know any of it, but it's pretty clear that Zarkon used the Druid's magic to become "strong enough" to force the Black Lion to respond. Without that spell the Black Lion most likely would not have responded to him, hence why he dodged Voltron during the entire season up to the finale.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He didn't dodge Voltron though. He's a leader, he doesn't take the field every episode or day. He ordered it brought to him and then when it was right in front of him went and got it instead. The only plan he had with the druids was the quintessence one and to make Robeasts. Prorog didn't like that Haggar had his ear, because he didn't trust magic, so he made a separate plan, but Haggar and Zarkon weren't planning something all season that resulted in the lightning spell in the finale.

The reason the Black Lion responds could be something as simple as Zarkon no longer interfering given he was concentrating on Keith and not it. Or that Shiro managed to regain it's respect despite him by managing to stand up to Haggar.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Teek posted:

I get what you mean. Once the reveal is out there, she could feasibly revert to her previous look. It's not directly addressed, but I'm guessing that's just what she's comfortable looking like now?

a.k.a. they didn't want to adjust the character model sheets for her. That might be something which could be adjusted between seasons. I'm not sure if that could fall into the next set of episodes since I think they're still considered part of the first season order. So maybe season "3". That would also allow them to adjust some of the other pilot differences if they plan to bring it closer in line with the original at some point.

Hair takes time to grow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

tsob posted:

He didn't dodge Voltron though. He's a leader, he doesn't take the field every episode or day. He ordered it brought to him and then when it was right in front of him went and got it instead. The only plan he had with the druids was the quintessence one and to make Robeasts. Prorog didn't like that Haggar had his ear, because he didn't trust magic, so he made a separate plan, but Haggar and Zarkon weren't planning something all season that resulted in the lightning spell in the finale.

The reason the Black Lion responds could be something as simple as Zarkon no longer interfering given he was concentrating on Keith and not it. Or that Shiro managed to regain it's respect despite him by managing to stand up to Haggar.

You're being weird man. This isn't even that important to the plot but you keep arguing that these scenes were completely meaningless for some reason. It's right there in your posts: the "lightning spell" you keep dismissing.

Zarkon really wants Voltron.
Zarkon refuses to send the whole fleet and prefers to do some sneaky poo poo with the Druids.
The Druids use Quintessence to power up monsters into the Robeasts.
The Druids harvest Quintessence from planets.
They keep saying that they're onto something that will make Zarkon "more powerful than anything".
They find out how to harvest an entire planet of Quintessence at once, which they say will let them win.
They use that Quintessence to fuel a spell on Zarkon, powering him up.
Right after that, Zarkon jumps into space and does all kind of crazy poo poo including jacking the Black Lion.

That's a pretty simple storyline to follow, with each part building off each other to the payoff in the finale. What you're arguing is, essentially, that these moments are all unrelated and unimportant. That doesn't work.

I hope that convinces you because I don't have anythin else to say on the subject: it's really a small thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished it. Too short. gently caress that ending.

Also I am an old fart who thinks this newfangled soundtrack is balls. I've heard this new theme at least thirteen times by now and I still couldn't bring it to mind to save my life. Not once do we even get a hint of the old Voltron motif? Goddrat you.

Also I thought the Balmora arc was kinda lame and too on-the-nose. Good for the childrens though, I guess.

Okay I'm being harsh, but all in all I would give this show a solid 8 out of 10.

I'm really interested in the Paladin assignment twists. Anyone who knows the old show immediately knows that Shiro, Lance, and Keith are in the "wrong" lions right now...I'm looking forward to how this eventually plays out 'cuz you just know it's gonna play out in an interesting, fitting way. And I thought that putting them in the exact colors of their old cartoon uniforms was actually pretty clever.

Also, I reeeeally want them to introduce Vehicle Voltron into this world at some point. They did it really well in the Devil's Due comics.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're being weird man.

I might as well accuse you of being weird, because, in case you hadn't noticed, you're doing the exact same thing. Except, of course, you think you're right, so it doesn't count.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This isn't even that important to the plot but you keep arguing that these scenes were completely meaningless for some reason. It's right there in your posts: the "lightning spell" you keep dismissing.

I'm not dismissing it, I'm just saying it's not a huge spell that had a multi episode build up and a big scene to pay it off. I know the scene exists, I just don't think it's near as important as you do. And I'm also saying that it's not actually a spell to allow him to take over the Black Lion. Since doing so would run counter to Allura's first line about Voltron (it's a mystical bond can't be forced), without any kind of foreshadowing or build up to doing it and also because it makes his role as the previous Black Lion Paladin worthless, since the danger of him piloting it is no longer there given that he has to use magic just to get it instead of using his bond to pilot instead of Shiro. It also makes his line about Shiro's connection being weak just as Shiro is ejected kind of pointless, along with making King Alfor's decision to hide the Black Lion specifically to keep it out of Zarkon's sight and ensure he can't get it kind of weird.

I'm discussing it at all because I liked the show, and like discussing shows I like, even if only in small stuff.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Zarkon refuses to send the whole fleet and prefers to do some sneaky poo poo with the Druids.
They keep saying that they're onto something that will make Zarkon "more powerful than anything".
They use that Quintessence to fuel a spell on Zarkon, powering him up.

See, these bits aren't true. Zarkon only ever said that a fleet alone can't hope to beat Voltron due to it's strength before denying Prorog permission to move the fleet, because he had other plans on how to tackle the issue (Robeasts). He never does anything sneaky, unless you count sitting on his throne giving orders doing sneaky poo poo. The Druids also never indicate that their quintessence plan will make Zarkon "more powerful than anything", only that it will give them access to more power than ever before, with power being implied to be energy in this case - what with them discussing how they'll no longer have to mine because of the new method of quintessence generation. It's Zarkon himself that says having Voltron will give him "ultimate power". And quintessence itself is never seen or mentioned in the finale. It's probably used in the spell, but the spell itself has no build up or great import during the finale and all the talk of quintessence is to pay off the planet draining, Robeasts and the bond with the Lion itself. Allura says in the first episode "the quintessence of the pilot is mired in his Lion", and Zarkon is a previous Paladin - so Zarkon's quintessence is mired in the Black Lion according to her own words. There's not even any indication he's more powerful than normal due to the spell, since Coran warns Keith fighting Zarkon is a bad idea even with a giant robot Lion without knowing anything about the spell and is un-surprised (though distressed) that Keith is being beaten so badly. It also runs counter to his and the Galra's entire "might is right" philosophy to power him up for a fight using magic to make him more than he is normally.

BrianWilly posted:

Also I thought the Balmora arc was kinda lame and too on-the-nose. Good for the childrens though, I guess.

I was enjoying the episode until Allura found out she could heal it and made everything okay again using magic. I'd have preferred that be the downer episode and the next one be happy, than the way we got personally - though that's partially because I didn't find any emotional resonance in the next episode at all, and what should have been a bittersweet ending, if not an outright sad one, left me feeling nothing because I didn't connect with it at all. I guess I just didn't think Alfor's hologram had had enough screen time to make an impression and that losing his hologram wasn't really analogous to losing him or even accepting his death given how it was done or something? I thought it was a good idea, but had an unsatisfying execution and the loss of the Balmera would have been more emotionally harrowing and interesting.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 17, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a kids show this sure is surprisingly violent. Especially toward the foot soldiers, sure they're shown to be robots but robots who can talk. Also in they kind of just gloss over the fact that there are regular guys also serving on those battleships that they're constantly blowing up.

Other than the cliffhanger ending the only thing I'm kind of disappointed in is how Pidge's story just kind of fizzles out. Pidge's father and brother being taken is kind of the inciting action for the entire series and then there's no resolution at all.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Mr. Fowl posted:

Rhys Darby is really one of the highlights of the show.

I wasn't gonna bother with this but boy I sure as gently caress am now

For the record I found the old series on youtube and watched em for a bit a few years ago. The Lion one was next level loving trash but the vehicles one had some suprisingly intelligent plots and more interesting robots, as well as Peter Cullen.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 17, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I was enjoying the episode until Allura found out she could heal it and made everything okay again using magic.
Yeah that wasn't the only thing I disliked about the arc but it was probably the crux of it. I liked the speech that Allura gave to the Balmoran people about continuing to fight and live even if their planet is destroyed, in order to honor the memory of that planet; it was obviously a very character-fitting speech for Allura. I thought the story would've ended fine, on a bittersweet and hopeful note, if all the Balmorans had gotten on Castle Lion and went on to search for a new home.

But then Allura just cast Holy and saved the whole planet I guess.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
penny arcade talks about this now voltron

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/06/17/mad-catz

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What the gently caress is going on with that hair?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So. Look. Everyone's thinking it, and I'm just gonna say it: Allura and Coran are gonn' have to to repopulate Alteia by themselves, aren't they?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I haven't watched the last episode yet but I got the impression Alteia is gone.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I figure they're gonna find a bunch of frozen Alteians at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The stuff about AI King was kind of weird because he was barely a thing before they had to get rid of him.

• Locked thread