Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That said the best part of the show was Lance's slippers.

You do not know how much I want those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ConanThe3rd posted:

You do not know how much I want those.

Try eBay

Also don't forget that Reebok brought out a Voltron series

Also there's this:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SalTheBard posted:

I loved Voltron as a kid so this has been nostalgia overload.

Same here. I can remember when it was big and the coolest kids on the playground had all the lions.
My folks misinterpreted what the good one was and instead I got the lovely car one for christmas

This is a pretty good show. Waiting now for S2

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BrianWilly posted:

Also, I reeeeally want them to introduce Vehicle Voltron into this world at some point. They did it really well in the Devil's Due comics.

When I was a kid my grandparents bought me a complete vehicle Voltron from Mr. Big toys. It was awesome.

Now Netflix just has to greenlight a Starblazers resurrection and my early-80s nostalgia will be complete.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Finished watching this today. I liked it, but that last episode reveal makes me want a lot more world-building about what went down 10,000 years ago. Shows like Avatar were a really slow burn reveal of how the setting worked, so I hope we get some of that next 'season'.

- Things were peaceful enough between the Galra and the Altaens that the Princess could visit them, and Zarkon could be the Black Paladin. So what was the impetus that triggered the the flip to war? Were there other space empires as big as those two that have since been wiped out? Do any of those still survive?
- Does this imply that Voltron was a collaborative project between a bunch of alien races? Is that why it's still super-powerful after 10,000 years of weapons development? Was each of the original pilots a different species?
- Were all the characters scattered to the four corners of the universe at the end of the last episode there? Are we going to get some individual story arcs as they work to reunite?

Also, is it me, or does Zarkon's fighting gear look like basically the Voltron battle suits repainted in his colors?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

Now Netflix just has to greenlight a Starblazers resurrection and my early-80s nostalgia will be complete.

There was a live action film a few years ago in case you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofVaIpUxHk

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This was really good enjoyed watching it with my son but it feels like they asked for 24 episodes but got shot down after storyboarding.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a live action film a few years ago in case you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofVaIpUxHk

Holy poo poo, that looks awesome :munch:

Now to track down an English subbed version.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
^^^: That movie is basically a live-action version of Space Battleship Yamato 2199, which itself was a pretty dope 26-episode series. Well, except for the weird thing where all the male characters got awesome space jackets and bell-bottom uniforms and all the ladies got skinsuits.

precision posted:

The whole time I was watching (and thoroughly enjoying) Voltron, I was thinking that giving Robotech the same treatment would be a slam dunk.

Probably too much to hope for a Bubblegum Crisis reimagining, though.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 20, 2016

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
They've made quite a few Macross shows, but I doubt they could get licensing for a new Robotech. Done in this style, it would be pretty good, though.

A Bubblegum Crisis could be cool.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This was bad rear end. Thought the Balmera arc dragged just a bit, but holy hell. I want any word on Season 2 I can get.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robotech revival will never happen because Harmony Gold are a bunch of absolute shits in regards to rights.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Agreedo, but they did recently put out a Robotech board game, RPG, and the sorta-properly-licensed Battlemechs they'd been making GBS threads up have shown up in MWO and that new B-Tech game, so maybe not all hope is lost.

I'd be okay with just Voltron for now, though. It's been well done so far, and there's only so many reboots that will be exciting before reboot fatigue sets in.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I should probably go back and rewatch the original now; for some reason I seem to remember one of the pilots (Pidge?) getting killed off and Allura taking their place as a lion pilot?

Probably something they had to work around with/from Golion, I've never seen the source but apparently it was really brutal.

e: Yeah, derp, should have spoiled that.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 20, 2016

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
WarLocke - Maybe get rid of that, or spoiler it. That was one of the few points the plot of Voltron had, and it'd be a shame to spoil it for newcomers. On the other hand, different show, so it might not happen?

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Hey OB_Juan

Why would you tell warlocke to spoil that?

Its a plot point from beast king go lion that aired in march 1981, That later got the old DBZ "Blast into another dimension lets take him to a hospital planet. which was aired in 1984.

I swear people get so stuck on spoilers I find they are distracting to the conversation.

Warlocke's post does remind me of something. That scene he is talking about has the black lion pilot shaking with rage not even looking at the princess and he lectures her that when they fly their lives are in eachothers hands, they have to trust eachother, she endangered their lives and SVEN WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THAT!!

It was a serious adult themed note in the show that had a early setup and then that pay off.

Which leads me to why I am not really liking this show.

They set up the KING AI, whats the pay off? The events in "crystal Venom" just really fell flat to me.

They set poor pidge up with soo much poo poo. Missing family, leaving the team, getting the data to find them. But then swap it out for a pay off regarding HIS SECRET. Which is like the dude has so much set on him as a character having him come clean to the team about his secret was just so left field I cant help wonder if it wasnt just thrown in for progressive cred or something.

Shiro has a good set up, memory loss magic arm, and i hope they are building to a good pay off.

Hunk got a little arc with the balmara, wasnt really a character arc, but some of time they spent on pidge should have gone to keith and lance.

I think the writers want to make a different show than voltron so they put up set peaces from the original show, and in my opinion move too quickly to get them out of the way to get to the show they want to do.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

max4me posted:

Hey OB_Juan

Why would you tell warlocke to spoil that?

I guess fair enough. I figured not everyone watching this watched those. But it is like, 30+ years old.

I'm going to wait for the next set of episodes before judging how much which plot details paid off. These first episodes seem like more of a half season than a full one.

I do like this version of the characters more. They're still kinda stock characters, but well executed stock characters, at least.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Finished watching and this series really surprised me. Like I was honestly expecting a monster of the week deal but they really used everything in this and all characters got some decent coverage.

Loved the tiny Evangelion reference in the second last episode.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Finally finished it too and I also enjoyed it. I said this before but i'd like to see G-force done this way(mainly because I love the way the costumes look).

Norman Reedus should do more voice acting work; he's got a cool voice.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The lack of women in this show is distinctly weird more so because the art style is Avatar in Space so seeing 5 dudes and 2 women feels off after having so many female characters in Korra, an action adventure show.

I got lesbian space rocks though if I get too complainy about it.

Also this show made me want to rewatch Megas XLR since Megas had inspiration drawn from Voltron.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i need this show's soundtrack asap

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Crystal venom's story beats were so blindingly obvious about 30 seconds into the episode. But it's a kids show so it's going to be someone's first corrupted ai story at least.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yeah it's still a children's show despite abusing both the relaxed standards for animation and the relaxed standards for non-human antagonists to be exceedingly violent

e: that being said i thought it was cool that sendak's provocation of shiro had actual consequences. i wonder when he's going to show up again, since of course he's going to show up again at some point

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Enjoyed the first season, though it definitely has it flaws.

Lance and especially Keith seem to have basically no character development (and in the case of Keith, character anything) during the entire season.

The world-building (universe-building?) was also pretty lackluster, with the main casts roles in the universe not really making any sense. I didn't realise feel like they were the chosen ones, since it was presented as "oh, I guess you can pilot the green lion. Oh, and you can pilot the yellow lion, I guess?" rather than manifest density or whatever they were presumably going for.

I also really don't understand the logistics of a single super robot taking on a galactic empire. Most powerful weapon in the universe, sure (not that we've really seen much that backs Voltron up as all that thus far), but it's not the most omnipresent weapon in the universe. You can't free a world at a time without the galactic empire reconquering world 1 when you start liberating world 3 (especially if the demonstrably evil galactic empire who can communicate with you just says they'll destroy every liberated planet).

The whole king AI thing was also pretty bizarre, because it felt like the show-runners decided midseason (or even earlier given that they barely used it past the first episode) that they'd made a mistake in introducing it.

That said, it's fun, it's well-animated, and the voice acting is pretty fantastic. If the show can just slow the hell down and breath for a little to flesh out the world and characters, it could be pretty great. Longer episodes or seasons could go a long way.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Season 2 later this year:

https://twitter.com/Voltron/status/756256148794314752

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Awesome, can't wait to see it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh, I didn't expect it to be so (relatively) soon. Netflix schedules are weird.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo Pidge was a girl all along!!

Thanks a lot, Voltron. Now I look stupid in front of my wife after insisting the opposite for the past six episodes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Applewhite posted:

Thanks a lot, Voltron. Now I look stupid in front of my wife after insisting the opposite for the past six episodes.

You're not going to make a modern kids show with no gender diversity. Plus they also hint at it several times if you're not just cynically considering viewer demos.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 26, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Applewhite posted:

Shiro outright says it in episode 3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcanen posted:

Enjoyed the first season, though it definitely has it flaws.

Lance and especially Keith seem to have basically no character development (and in the case of Keith, character anything) during the entire season.

The world-building (universe-building?) was also pretty lackluster, with the main casts roles in the universe not really making any sense. I didn't realise feel like they were the chosen ones, since it was presented as "oh, I guess you can pilot the green lion. Oh, and you can pilot the yellow lion, I guess?" rather than manifest density or whatever they were presumably going for.

I also really don't understand the logistics of a single super robot taking on a galactic empire. Most powerful weapon in the universe, sure (not that we've really seen much that backs Voltron up as all that thus far), but it's not the most omnipresent weapon in the universe. You can't free a world at a time without the galactic empire reconquering world 1 when you start liberating world 3 (especially if the demonstrably evil galactic empire who can communicate with you just says they'll destroy every liberated planet).

The whole king AI thing was also pretty bizarre, because it felt like the show-runners decided midseason (or even earlier given that they barely used it past the first episode) that they'd made a mistake in introducing it.

That said, it's fun, it's well-animated, and the voice acting is pretty fantastic. If the show can just slow the hell down and breath for a little to flesh out the world and characters, it could be pretty great. Longer episodes or seasons could go a long way.

If the Voltron is Ideon level, yeah you can take on a galactic emprie with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm about halfway through this and have a dumb question and don't care about spoilers.

Does Keith's lion every get anything special about it? Red lion has a super heat laser and has the sword, Green has invisibility and a shield, yellow is big and can knock stuff around, black is the torso and head of voltron and has that dumb mouth blade. Blue seems like it's the generic model and I guess has an ice ray that's about as powerful as a regular laser?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Radish posted:

I'm about halfway through this and have a dumb question and don't care about spoilers.

Does Keith's lion every get anything special about it? Red lion has a super heat laser and has the sword, Green has invisibility and a shield, yellow is big and can knock stuff around, black is the torso and head of voltron and has that dumb mouth blade. Blue seems like it's the generic model and I guess has an ice ray that's about as powerful as a regular laser?

Ice Beam has applications but that's about it IIRC, maybe next season Lance will do some character growth and thus unlock some cool new stuff for his lion.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Radish posted:

The Green Lion's invisibility is an after market mod done by Pidge and the Yellow Lion can summon a gun for Voltron too so I'd guess each Lion can summon a weapon of some kind for different situations and we just haven't seen all of them yet since there's only been a few Robeast fights. They can possibly all summon any weapon they wish a la Zarkon and apply it to either their Bayard, their Lion or Voltron - though that's probably a ways off even if it's true. If the Blue Lion has any special features it hasn't been detailed as of yet though, but we're only a dozen episodes in so it's hardly a big deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like how nonchalant Pidge was about that too. She's just "I modded the training room stuff to make my robot disappear, nbd"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm just coming in here to say that Hunk is the best.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Junpei Hyde posted:

Bolin always was a fan favorite.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Junpei Hyde posted:

You misspelled Pidge, though Hunk is great too.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

You misspelled Pidge, though Hunk is great too.

Pidge is still top tier, but Hunk is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Shiro FTW: https://twitter.com/bbbreakfasttt/status/759093670737870848 He's so pretty and full of issues. :allears:
I am so into him but my wife has just absolutely Holtzman'd in response to him and tore through the show upon seeing him. She really got into the whole show though so I can't wait for Season 2 to drop and watch it with her, and we'll probably rewatch Season 1 before it does. It's great to find something so soon after we just rewatched ATLA.

I'm just leaving this here too: https://twitter.com/bbbreakfasttt/status/761413422051307520
(Amanda Schank is a treasure, she's also done another one of Lance and has some lovely Voltron sketches she's done recently. )

Hunk (rewatching Korra currently and he really is Space Bolin) and Pidge had nice arcs too, and I'm looking forward to further development for Lance and Keith. Their budding friendship/rivalry dynamic was fun in the small doses we got. This show is so good, basically, because Allura handling what was thrown her way and then wrecking poo poo when necessary was amazing and Coran is just delightful. I can't wait to see the team dynamics change and grow once they all return from being scattered. Which won't take too long, right? :ohdear:

If it can beef up the villains going forward, after the finale showed promise in this respect, it really will be something.

• Locked thread