Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Can we talk about that loving final battle? Two seasons of them forming the weapons, the sword getting near constant use, lots of explosions, but they always specifically said "Form the sword!" or "Form sword!" Was "Form! Blazing Sword!" too corny? Were we just not calling it that now?

Nope. It just turned out that we needed Shiro's Bayard to finally get that Blazing Sword, and attack call or not, that was a moment that smacked right into my nostalgia button over and over again in the best way.

Now someone hurry up on Season Three, because they were super loving right about leaving off on a massive cliffhanger. I'm calling it now, the dude Keith met in the big planet fucker monster was Prince Lotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I would assume from the start, since most Netflix originals are produced by Netflix themselves.

Not exactly, most are commissioned by Netflix, but a lot are also series that they just get international distribution rights for. Netflix makes very little content directly, but they do have a deal with Dreamworks Animation for a ton of shows, including Voltron, and it predates the show by a good bit, so they probably knew going in.

Also, I'm on (s2e7) the space mall one and I'm a sucker for fantasy/sci-fi markets are just like modern ones jokes. Especially liking Coran trying to be all cloak-and-dagger with what's clearly a teenage girl making part-time minimum wage

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kurui Reiten posted:

It just turned out that we needed Shiro's Bayard to finally get that Blazing Sword, and attack call or not, that was a moment that smacked right into my nostalgia button over and over again in the best way.

This was good. Like really, really, good.

Also, last episode: Shiro - Dead, Hospital Planet, stuck inside the Black Lion somehow, or Zarkon's Prisoner?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

Also, last episode: Shiro - Dead, Hospital Planet, stuck inside the Black Lion somehow, or Zarkon's Prisoner?

In order of likelihood I'd guess: returns with amnesia, dead, is now one with the Lion a la Eva.

For a fluffy old-school super robot show, it's nice that it feels like they really do have a long term plan. Last ep: It seemed really obvious from the start of S1 that Shiro was going to die (and that Allura probably becomes pilot of the Black Lion next season, I'd guess), but they took their time with it and made it fun.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Valentin posted:

In order of likelihood I'd guess: returns with amnesia, dead, is now one with the Lion a la Eva.

For a fluffy old-school super robot show, it's nice that it feels like they really do have a long term plan. Last ep: It seemed really obvious from the start of S1 that Shiro was going to die (and that Allura probably becomes pilot of the Black Lion next season, I'd guess), but they took their time with it and made it fun.

What? They could not have foreshadowed Keith becoming the black power ranger any harder if they tried.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Valentin posted:

Phylodox posted:

What? They could not have foreshadowed Keith becoming the black power ranger any harder if they tried.

It's hard to guess. Shiro made his preference known, and Keith seemed to be trying to grow into the role. Normally, I'd say they'd go with that, and following the original, move pilots around, and put Allura in the blue lion. But I also wonder if they'll have her in one at all? The ship seems to need her to wormwhole around, and it's not great having half your hyperdrive on the front line. Plus, the castle's pretty combat effective as is. I could see them getting a new Red lion, with Keith in charge, I could see Allura ending up driving the black lion, I could see them doing something Really Weird.

Another possible outcome would be Shiro as a bad guy, like, mind controlled by the Druids.

Also, looking forward to learning how Allura's people fell into being the Druids. Should be fun/grim.

Sorry to keep adding these. Matt's going to be a bad guy, right? Like he escaped Zarkon, and became a space criminal?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

OB_Juan posted:

It's hard to guess. Shiro made his preference known, and Keith seemed to be trying to grow into the role. Normally, I'd say they'd go with that, and following the original, move pilots around, and put Allura in the blue lion. But I also wonder if they'll have her in one at all? The ship seems to need her to wormwhole around, and it's not great having half your hyperdrive on the front line. Plus, the castle's pretty combat effective as is. I could see them getting a new Red lion, with Keith in charge, I could see Allura ending up driving the black lion, I could see them doing something Really Weird.

Another possible outcome would be Shiro as a bad guy, like, mind controlled by the Druids.

Also, looking forward to learning how Allura's people fell into being the Druids. Should be fun/grim.

Sorry to keep adding these. Matt's going to be a bad guy, right? Like he escaped Zarkon, and became a space criminal?

allura goes in a lion, corwan and slav pilot castle

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

allura goes in a lion, corwan and slav pilot castle

Guys, we clearly saw that Sir Coran the Crimson Caped, Knight of Altea, Steward of the Castle will pilot the Red Lion so well he won't even need to be in it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, its not a romantic relationship at all. Keith was an orphan, and Shiro acted like a big brother to him. Shiro is older than the rest of the paladins.

Well, yeah, I agree with your latter points (I hadn't realised about the age gap, tbh). But there's pretty strong subtext here, particularly in the latter half of the season (Keith's vision in the seventh episode, the way he constantly panics and runs around after Shiro whenever Shiro's hurt, generally more than any other character. Enough, I think, to convincingly argue that Keith has a crush on Shiro at the very least.

While I acknowledge that there is an alternative here, I think it's a sucky one, 'cause it continues to suggest that the the only same sex couples that kids cartoons are going to focus on (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Korra) are those between women. And, frankly, there's more "evidence" for an emotional relationship between Shiro and Keith than there was one for Korra / Asami in Season 3.

Waffleman_ posted:

I would assume from the start, since most Netflix originals are produced by Netflix themselves.

That's not always true -- sometimes they'll just slap a "Netflix Original" title onto any old show that they helped give international distribution rights to, and start actively funding the show in later seasons. (Scrotal Recall being a really good example). Perhaps that's what happened here?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Oh, that wasn't how I'd read that. I thought he just meant he wanted Keith to lead the team in the event of his death, not in the forming the head sense but in a more general way. The idea of switching lions didn't really occur to me because of how they depict them as being temperamental, though I guess that's the point of having Keith be able to wake the Black Lion up at the start of the season.

On a non-black bar note, it took me a while in S1 to realize Keith and Shiro weren't supposed to be related, and the same was true in S2 because I forgot I learned it the first time around.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 22, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Keith also is now half purple alien. Black Lion's main energy color scheme is purple. Bam. Also Allura's hidden space magic is mostly reddish, so she'd fit with the red lion color.

Now what really interests me is that the red lion saved Keith's rear end pretty much nonstop all season, so i'm super interested to see how she handles Keith changing lions if that happens.

Amazing season, all the character work from last season lead to some really good standalones this season and it was all pretty great. There was one fatal flaw in the last fight, tho: ZARKON'S MECH WAS SO FUCKIGN COOL! SO COOL! SO INCREDIBLY COOL Ever single action it did was amazing and extremely my poo poo, so i was just rooting for him until the flaming sword came up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Zarkon's mech looked like something straight out of Super Robot Wars, like the Adamatron or something. Cool, very cool.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I didn't like this season near as much as the previous one, but the show is so good when it goes full anime, and the last Voltron scene in the last episode was so goddamn awesome.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm amazed that a kid's show did a straight homage to Battlestar Galactica.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

MonsieurChoc posted:

Zarkon's mech looked like something straight out of Super Robot Wars, like the Adamatron or something. Cool, very cool.

I got some Epyon vibes from it, especially its sword-whip.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I will say, and someone else might be able to articulate it better, but I feel like there's something off about Voltron's proportions. Something that just makes it feel weird to me, like maybe it needs some work on the shoulders or something.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Kurui Reiten posted:

I will say, and someone else might be able to articulate it better, but I feel like there's something off about Voltron's proportions. Something that just makes it feel weird to me, like maybe it needs some work on the shoulders or something.

He kind of feels like he's been stretched vertically 150%

However it's probably because the lions a proportioned more like lions this time and not limbs with legs

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm so invested in this show, and cannot wait to see what happens next after that incredible cliffhanger. The finale was so tense and nailed the surprise reveals, especially as someone who has never seen the original series.

I reeeeeally want Sheith to form though. Just kiss already!

I love this show, and the goobers it focuses on. :allears: It's so deft in balancing the tone between comedy, homages and genuine excitement.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm glad the writers are willing to do episodes focusing on a single person or team the whole way through. i've seen a lot of ensemble shows suffer from the need to have Every character in Every episode even if it's only for ten seconds, and it just drags everything down

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i'm glad the writers are willing to do episodes focusing on a single person or team the whole way through. i've seen a lot of ensemble shows suffer from the need to have Every character in Every episode even if it's only for ten seconds, and it just drags everything down

In the same vein,one show that I overall like (Star Wars:Rebels) that also has an ensemble cast, focuses too much on one character (Ezra) even though he's the most boring character and doesn't give anyone else time to shine.Which is a shame,because the rest of the cast are cool/interesting.

And all of this gushing about this series makes me want to get a Netflix account. If only I was a rich man who didn't live in Canada. :sigh:

Edit:Actually,how limited is the Canadian package? My parents and coworkers keep telling me that we barely get half of what the US gets,is that true?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 23, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Two little details, having finished the show: 1) A Wilhelm scream, really? and 2) ep6? spoiler I noticed Keith now has something else in common with Shiro. They both have a Galran backup weapon for their bayard. Shiro's robo-fist and Keith's Blade of Marmora. More parallels and foreshadowing?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VolticSurge posted:

In the same vein,one show that I overall like (Star Wars:Rebels) that also has an ensemble cast, focuses too much on one character (Ezra) even though he's the most boring character and doesn't give anyone else time to shine.Which is a shame,because the rest of the cast are cool/interesting.

And all of this gushing about this series makes me want to get a Netflix account. If only I was a rich man who didn't live in Canada. :sigh:

Edit:Actually,how limited is the Canadian package? My parents and coworkers keep telling me that we barely get half of what the US gets,is that true?

I'm a Canadian student on my father'S account and even then we get a ton of really cool stuff, from Voltron to Beasts of No Nations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly my predictions for this are (seriously don't read if you haven't finished the season):

Everyone is focusing on Keith becoming the head of Voltron simply because it's what Shiro wants. People seem to be forgetting that Allura is as much the leader of the Paladins as Shiro and has shown time and time again that she is a capable leader. If Shiro is actually gone (personally I think he's stuck in an astral plane alongside Zarkon, possibly inside Zarkon's own head space), I think Allura will end up taking command of the Black Lion leaving Slav and Coran to man the ship. I would rather see Shiro return though because I like the idea that you don't have to be on the front lines to still be a valuable member of the team, which Coran and Allura have also many times over.

The show plays up the importance of the bond between the Lion and its pilot. It doesn't make any sense to me that Red would let Keith go so easily, especially given the information revealed in the Blade of Marmora episode regarding the origin of his mother. While he's stuck in his head, his father is telling him that his Mother is coming and she'll have all the answers. Meanwhile, on the outside, Red is attacking the base trying to get to Keith. I would say that Keith's mother was the original Red pilot and became a founder of the Blade of Marmora once Zarkon went power hungry and started taking over the galaxy. She's deceased now but a part of her is Red, which is why it demands so much out of Keith and is so quick to come to his aid. I think Shiro wanting Keith to be leader is a red herring (heh) and he'll be back.

Haggar: cliche but I think she may be related to Allura in some way. Has the show brought up her mother at all? I'm leaning towards it being her mother and the incident being one of the many as to why the Galra and Alteans went to war.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Transmogrifier posted:

Honestly my predictions for this are (seriously don't read if you haven't finished the season):

[Interesting S2 spoilery discussion]

As I said above, a major part of the reason I love this show so much is that regardless of what happens, I have such confidence in the creative team (especially as I'm a huge ATLA/Korra fan) to pull it off, but, genuinely, all the obvious directions the show could go in appeal to me greatly, even as someone whose favourite character is Shiro. I do enjoy the heightened Keith/Red connection (especially with your speculation regarding his mother)*, and I would love to see Allura get involved, but her and Coran are wonderful together, and it's so impactful when Allura does get directly involved (not just to her super-strength ho ho). Slav does change this dynamic up though, which could free Allura up, but I do want more of Shiro and the other Paladins connecting with each other and their Lions, leaving aside my rabid Sheith shipping.

I wonder if Haggar being Allura's mother would be a step too far in having everything revolve around them (though obviously she is the daughter of one of the two main players already, and Haggar could have been a factor) but the simple revelation that Haggar is Altean was enough to shake Allura, especially after she made her peace with Keith being part-Galra, so it might not need any more spice. As I said though, I trust the writers, and Allura's mother is a mystery as far as I recall. I am so curious to find out more about Haggar, for sure.
*twitter.com/prinzcake/status/823059548617347072

The fact that Keith's knife was in the first episode of S1 makes me wonder what other secrets are hiding in plain sight...

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
It wasn't exactly hidden that Haggar was Altean, or at least not Galra, it just didn't really register to me. She's not really built like a Galra, although I guess she's purple? Joke answer: Haggar and Allura are half-sisters. I mean, they DO share a hair color.

Also, I'm all for not spoiling anyone, but how long are the spoiler bars going to be a thing for season 2?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Metalshark posted:

twitter.com/prinzcake/status/823059548617347072

HA. I love it. I actually just watched ATLA and TLoK for the first time last year so I'm in agreement that I think regardless of the direction, it will be handled really well.

OB_Juan posted:

It wasn't exactly hidden that Haggar was Altean, or at least not Galra, it just didn't really register to me. She's not really built like a Galra, although I guess she's purple? Joke answer: Haggar and Allura are half-sisters. I mean, they DO share a hair color.

Also, I'm all for not spoiling anyone, but how long are the spoiler bars going to be a thing for season 2?

Re: spoilers. :shobon: I just wanted to be polite and give it at least three days myself, especially since it premiered on a Friday. I'll probably stop using spoilers after today. To add some more black bars..

I actually couldn't figure out what Haggar was. They were always referred to as Druids, so I did assume that perhaps they were a different race since they look so different from the Galra. As far as we know, we haven't seen any female Galra either to compare them to. Them being Altean was both a surprise and not, but it was neat regardless.

The reason I'm personally leaning towards a familial relation between Allura and Haggar is simply because of Haggar's reaction. Maybe she's not her mother, but perhaps her aunt on her mother's side?

Also, not spoiler: what was going on with Alton (or however you spell it) and his tail? I really wanted them to address it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the standard for a netflix show is to wait a week?

I don't think Shiro is gone for sure, but we will definitely explore "Keith as leader" for a bit, i'm expecting like half of season 3.

Transmogrifer definitely brings up good points regarding why Keith likely won't be, but honestly i'm expecting those to be actual issues the show tackles. Keith having Shiro's backup, but with Shiro gone it'll have less weight so Allura (and Lance) will probably take issue to that, the red lion is extremely obsessed with Keith so "switching lions" would be a whole big thing, etc. Whether or not Keith will lead Voltron in the Black Lion I can't tell, but with how much Shiro pushed the idea i'm expecting an attempt to be made and complications to arise from that.

I did not even consider Haggar being non-Galran, but as soon as we saw her ears my mind was blown. She's old enough to be from 10K years ago, so she definitely had a connection to Allura's dad at least, i'm expecting some betrayal. Maybe not blood-relations to Allura, but Haggar must have a deep-ish connection for sure.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Well Manicured Man posted:

I got some Epyon vibes from it, especially its sword-whip.

It's totally Hi-Nu Gundam.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I liked the first season a lot. The writing was solid if a little workmanlike, but the art and music were really good and I found the cast charming. but I think the second season is a big step back. I'm only three episodes in, but boy has the writing suffered. The animation seems clunkier, too. The fight scenes were never fantastic but now they're downright boring.

Oh well.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Transmogrifier posted:

The show plays up the importance of the bond between the Lion and its pilot. It doesn't make any sense to me that Red would let Keith go so easily, especially given the information revealed in the Blade of Marmora episode regarding the origin of his mother. While he's stuck in his head, his father is telling him that his Mother is coming and she'll have all the answers. Meanwhile, on the outside, Red is attacking the base trying to get to Keith. I would say that Keith's mother was the original Red pilot and became a founder of the Blade of Marmora once Zarkon went power hungry and started taking over the galaxy. She's deceased now but a part of her is Red, which is why it demands so much out of Keith and is so quick to come to his aid. I think Shiro wanting Keith to be leader is a red herring (heh) and he'll be back.

I feel like the fact that Galra soldiers were marching in during the vision was a hint that they were part of Keith's mother arriving. I'm going with her being an important part of the Galra war machine. The Red Lion seemed to be going nuts because Keith was under major stress and felt he was in intense danger.

Black Lion let Keith pilot it, but only while Shiro was nearby, and only to save Shiro. We don't know what the limits to that sort of thing are, or if it would have let anyone who wanted to save Shiro pilot it in that moment. We haven't explored the bond between pilot and lion to the depth we need to yet, other than knowing that apparently Black still considered Zarkon a potential Paladin despite his actions.

One extremely interesting thing is that Black Lion feels it has a "home" of sorts, and was made from some sort of comet. I really, really want the next season to explore some of Voltron's past, because what we've gotten so far suggests there's far more importance there than we'd expect.

Also I think I know what throws me off regarding Voltron's design to a point; the lack of red on the chest, and the size of the chest itself being slightly too big in relation to the rest of the body. It feels lacking somehow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Eela6 posted:

I liked the first season a lot. The writing was solid if a little workmanlike, but the art and music were really good and I found the cast charming. but I think the second season is a big step back. I'm only three episodes in, but boy has the writing suffered. The animation seems clunkier, too. The fight scenes were never fantastic but now they're downright boring.

Oh well.

The first few episodes of season 2 didn't really grab me either but it really seemed to pick up after that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I thought the first two episodes were fantastic, even though Lance and Hunk are annoying characters, but I have been getting an inordinate amount of fun from how they make all these weird one-off sci fi worlds.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Episode 2 was one of my favorites until we hit Episode 7. One-And-Dones + Unique environments are a pretty good combo.

But then Lance is one of my favorite characters, so.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

lotsa posters here posted:

lotsa stuff about Keith and the lions
I mean...not to Go There or anything 'cuz there sure are a lot of deep thinkings here...but you guys get that, at the end of the day, it's probably just gonna happen 'cuz it happened in the old cartoons (and subsequent remakes) so it's probably gonna happen here? :v:

This show did something pretty clever at the start by subverting expectations and placing the pilots in different lions -- the ones that match their uniform colors, to boot -- but that was...well, that was just the start. The set-up. The thing is that, for all these little subversions and deviations (Pidge as a girl, Zarkon as an ex-Paladin), this show is still pretty hewing preeetty dang close to the overall metaplot of the original series. Shiro..."Sven"...is gone, for whatever reason and for however long. Lotor is coming. The showrunners have really made no secret of how much they like the original show and how this isn't one of those adaptations where it's like, "This ain't your granddaddy's Voltron! That old poo poo sucked, our version is better!!"

I think part of the fun of the series has been seeing how they find ways to twist and subvert certain preconceived ideas of the canon, even as they follow the same general blueprint of the storyline. But I also think the lions' pilot assignment is way too...what's the word I'm looking for here? Big? Defining? Impactful?...an aspect of the story for them to stick to the subverted assignments all the way through to the end. Part of the story here is how they get from these current assignments to the more iconic line-up. How difficult it would be for Keith to move on from the Red Lion to the Black Lion, or how difficult it would be for Lance to move from Blue to Red, for all the reasons that people have mentioned here...well, that's the story, isn't it? That's the drama, without which everything would just be fine and dandy and there'd be no show.

It's not as if they're not foreshadowing the storyline pretty dang hard on Keith's end, anyway. He didn't spend practically an entire episode decked out in black and purple duds, learning to wield his ancestral black-and-purple soulblade or whatever, just 'cuz it made him look hella swanky. :grin:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MonsieurChoc posted:

It reminded me of Xenogears, the gear.

Which itself is an homage to

SolarFire2 posted:

It's totally Hi-Nu Gundam.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...not to Go There or anything 'cuz there sure are a lot of deep thinkings here...but you guys get that, at the end of the day, it's probably just gonna happen 'cuz it happened in the old cartoons (and subsequent remakes) so it's probably gonna happen here? :v:

This show did something pretty clever at the start by subverting expectations and placing the pilots in different lions -- the ones that match their uniform colors, to boot -- but that was...well, that was just the start. The set-up. The thing is that, for all these little subversions and deviations (Pidge as a girl, Zarkon as an ex-Paladin), this show is still pretty hewing preeetty dang close to the overall metaplot of the original series. Shiro..."Sven"...is gone, for whatever reason and for however long. Lotor is coming. The showrunners have really made no secret of how much they like the original show and how this isn't one of those adaptations where it's like, "This ain't your granddaddy's Voltron! That old poo poo sucked, our version is better!!"

I think part of the fun of the series has been seeing how they find ways to twist and subvert certain preconceived ideas of the canon, even as they follow the same general blueprint of the storyline. But I also think the lions' pilot assignment is way too...what's the word I'm looking for here? Big? Defining? Impactful?...an aspect of the story for them to stick to the subverted assignments all the way through to the end. Part of the story here is how they get from these current assignments to the more iconic line-up. How difficult it would be for Keith to move on from the Red Lion to the Black Lion, or how difficult it would be for Lance to move from Blue to Red, for all the reasons that people have mentioned here...well, that's the story, isn't it? That's the drama, without which everything would just be fine and dandy and there'd be no show.

It's not as if they're not foreshadowing the storyline pretty dang hard on Keith's end, anyway. He didn't spend practically an entire episode decked out in black and purple duds, learning to wield his ancestral black-and-purple soulblade or whatever, just 'cuz it made him look hella swanky. :grin:

I feel like the idea of Allura switching to Red makes more sense, partly because they emphasised her relationship with Keith and her temper this season, plus the whole shuffling around from Blue to Red and Red to Black seems like it's over-complicating things needlessly, and introducing a hierarchy to the lions beyond Black as the leader that doesn't need to exist.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Episode 2 was one of my favorites until we hit Episode 7. One-And-Dones + Unique environments are a pretty good combo.

But then Lance is one of my favorite characters, so.

I really wanted to like episode 2 for those reasons, but then Lance and Hunk failed at everything to the extent it felt pointless.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like the idea of Allura switching to Red makes more sense, partly because they emphasised her relationship with Keith and her temper this season, plus the whole shuffling around from Blue to Red and Red to Black seems like it's over-complicating things needlessly, and introducing a hierarchy to the lions beyond Black as the leader that doesn't need to exist.
That's true, though I also feel like assigning pilots to lions based on personality has been, frankly, pretty random and incidental in this show in the first place. It's a little like trying to put people in Hogwarts houses or, maybe more relevantly, trying to tie personalities to bending elements in Avatar. Azula's a firebender, but Iroh is also a firebender. Bolin's an earthbender, but Lin Beifong is also an earthbender. None of these people are alike at all in demeanor.

In the case of Voltron it's like, ah yes, Shiro is dependable and trustworthy...I say he's totally suited to support Voltron as its powerful yellow left foot! Pidge is passionate and restless, making her perfect for the Red Lion! We could probably come up with various personality rationales to put most of the Paladins in most of the lions, to be honest.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Kurui Reiten posted:

[spoiler]I feel like the fact that Galra soldiers were marching in during the vision was a hint that they were part of Keith's mother arriving. I'm going with her being an important part of the Galra war machine. The Red Lion seemed to be going nuts because Keith was under major stress and felt he was in intense danger.

When her hood fell off, I half expected it to be Hagar is Keith's mom time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I thought the first two episodes were fantastic, even though Lance and Hunk are annoying characters, but I have been getting an inordinate amount of fun from how they make all these weird one-off sci fi worlds.

Two and seven were the best episodes for this reason.

The rest of the show just seems by-the-numbers. "Fat guy who won't shut up about food" isn't enough for a main character, and the rest of the cast isn't much better.

On top of that the robot fights were pretty underwhelming. Powers kept coming out of nowhere and were always just a new color of laser.

• Locked thread