Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

These kinds of lists are pretty common and it's fun trying to see how many arbitrary omissions/inclusions there are. On my first pass I noticed you missed Ethiopia (1970's, USA, USSR) which is pretty common, but you also omitted obvious ones like Japan, Taiwan, and Diego Garcia, which I assume you did on purpose for some reason. And of course, the one I always look for first, and the one that's always missing: Iranian Azarbaijan (1940's, USSR).

On a personal level, I hate how Iran gets always gets short shrift on these lists- but you must have gotten bored by the time you had to research that one, because you barely tried.

The Soviets inherited the greatest intelligence apparatus of it's time from the tzars; revolutionary Iran got something almost as good relative to their situation. In addition they developed possibly the best special forces community in Asia. Of course Iran has been enormously active in other countries.

I really wish there was more English-language research available on people like Suleimani and Musa Sadr, because they are amazing characters..

Why would you do this to yourself

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Homework Explainer posted:

You're assuming a lot of ill intent when the simplest explanation is the correct one: I am human, and forgot. And Azerbaijan is pre-WWII, so it didn't make the list for that reason. PM or post more, and I'll add them.

I don't agree with you on Azarbaijan bruh- everybody who's interested this is what I'm talking about : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_crisis_of_1946

I feel like if this were the 90's and I was reading a list by a tankie college student, even though they wouldn't have half the research materials available to you now, they wouldn't have forgotten Japan and Taiwan.

I wasn't totally surprised you omitted those two because you sound super American new-left/chomskyist, without any of the Maoist influences or wariness of social-imperialism that anglo-revleft people tend to display, but then you omitted Diego Garcia, which surprised me because at one point Chomsky had a Howard Hughes-phase where all he could say was "Diego Garcia" over and over again, if you can imagine for a moment Chomsky being anything other than super charismatic.

Volkerball posted:

Bored at work.

Same here

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 11, 2016

• Locked thread