Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

WHAT IS THIS GAME?

Ju-on: The Grudge is a game for the Nintendo Wii, released in 2009. Based on the wildly popular Japanese and American movie series of the same names (and directed by the same guy), the horror story tells us of a curse that's reborn again and again with each victim it claims, which takes the forms of a ghostly brother and sister.

This game sucks, you guys. Like, really badly.

I touch on a lot of my problems in the first episode, so I won't bore you here, but just know that it makes some other bad horror games look like masterpieces.

PRIOR EXPERIENCE

Because there's something wrong with me, I've already played Ju-on twice all the way through, because I didn't realize that I needed to get every collectible to unlock the final chapter. Amy, on the other hand, had only heard my sobbing, tear-filled stories of my own time with it until now, but she's excited to see the mechanic of getting to throw jump scares at me and the audience. (By "jump scares," I mean covering the screen with so much crap at once that it'll probably eventually get me killed.)

SPOILER POLICY

"People die, and then ghosts!" There, I just summarized the entire story of the game (and the original Japanese movie, really). Spoilers shouldn't be a problem. :-P If you know of any particular parts that you want Amy to experience for the first time, though, hide those behind spoiler tags.

I think that about covers it. I hope you all enjoy!

EPISODE LIST

Part 1: Uuuuhhhhhhhgh
Part 2: Pick up the second Wii Remote
Part 3: Purple-boy floor
Part 4: What are you doing with your diary?
Part 5: We haven't even finished The Witness yet!
Part 6 (FINALE): Time for bed

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You know, it's poo poo like this that makes me appreciate Dreadout. Sure fans give it poo poo, but it is creative with its scares. Or at the very least its scares are placed and used to really gently caress with you (The Lady in Red, as Pete no doubt remembers :v:)
This feels really, really half-baked. Like :nallears:, the horror game.

quote:

"Dude, the walls are like whoah man :lsd:"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, one thing that gets to me about The Grudge is that you're hosed. Like, that's the basic plot beat. If you're in the world of The Grudge, then you will be murdered by ghosts, then become a ghost to ghost-murder more people. There is nothing but wondering at the exact method of ghost-murder you will receive.

Like, what's even the loving point? It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency, or someone realizes that bustin' makes them feel good. The only thing you get from not getting murdered by ghosts in the middle of a level is murdered by ghosts at the end of the level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if this game does curse you to be murdered by ghosts, you probably should call the Talk About Spirits Agency instead of wandering around with a flashlight. I hear they have very competitive rates.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

"Dude, the walls are like whoah man :lsd:"

That's pretty much what she always looks like. She's a horrible influence on hear ghost brother.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency...

The shocking twist is that there's an unlockable final episode that gets you killed and turned into a ghost. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 11, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
This game didn't seem all that bad, it's basically what it says on the tin. "Haunted House Simulator." It's on par with walking around a haunted house and maybe freaking out sometimes because a weird guy jumps out at you or the walls start screaming.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like a lot of scares could be avoided if Erika just learned to kick in doors. She'd have sent the cat kid loving flying.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GamesAreSupernice posted:

This game didn't seem all that bad, it's basically what it says on the tin. "Haunted House Simulator." It's on par with walking around a haunted house and maybe freaking out sometimes because a weird guy jumps out at you or the walls start screaming.
The game is mostly a chore to play; you move at a glacial pace and you are constantly on an invisible timer due to the battery life of the flashlight. So instead of enjoying the spooky events you're having to actually rush about rooms jamming your face into corners to find more batteries. And then there's the fact that some of the scares are so stupidly easy to miss. Like there's a part where a hard hat falls down and it's got a face in it....but it happens so quickly and you're just facing to finish the level that you can't enjoy it.

Also yeah, behind that is the fact that there's easily missed bits of side story that as pedrovay2003 mentioned are necessary to finish the game which means that you'll have to slowly replay levels to actually finish the game and that the overall plot is pretty stupid. But that's what makes the game so great. It does absolutely nothing right.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, one thing that gets to me about The Grudge is that you're hosed. Like, that's the basic plot beat. If you're in the world of The Grudge, then you will be murdered by ghosts, then become a ghost to ghost-murder more people. There is nothing but wondering at the exact method of ghost-murder you will receive.

Like, what's even the loving point? It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency, or someone realizes that bustin' makes them feel good. The only thing you get from not getting murdered by ghosts in the middle of a level is murdered by ghosts at the end of the level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if this game does curse you to be murdered by ghosts, you probably should call the Talk About Spirits Agency instead of wandering around with a flashlight. I hear they have very competitive rates.

The thing is, that's the way a lot of Japanese ghost stories tend to go. Person gets cursed/haunted -> person is hosed. Doesn't mean it makes a good movie/game though. I kinda like to feel that my actions in a game have meant something. At least The Ring/Ringu gives people a way out, even if it does mean cursing someone else.

But yeah, this game is awful. This is the third playthrough I've seen of it, and it never gets any scarier. Or better. Or anything. In terms of failing a scenario, I seem to recall the hospital giving people I watched the greatest amount of trouble. I wait with enthusiasm.
:getin:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was honestly worried about playing this one, because I thought people would lose interest. I'm glad I seem to have been mistaken. :-D

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Heck yeah! I was wondering about what game you two were going to do.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

I was honestly worried about playing this one, because I thought people would lose interest. I'm glad I seem to have been mistaken. :-D

There's some weird joy in watching people play lovely games. lovely horror games? There'll be a line. :allears:
With this game it might be more for the "player curses the abysmal control scheme" parts.

The question is: which is worse, the controls for Fatal Frame 4 or the controls for Ju-On?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I didn't think "haunted house simulator" would be so literal, but that really seems to be the aim of this whole enterprise. Just, like, Spooky's House of Jump Scares. Not sure why the battery life is such a concern.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

I didn't think "haunted house simulator" would be so literal, but that really seems to be the aim of this whole enterprise. Just, like, Spooky's House of Jump Scares. Not sure why the battery life is such a concern.

Because you get a Game Over if your batteries run out.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'm pretty sure Lowtax covered better crappy horror games back when he was doing a thread here.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I'm pretty much a huge pushover for scary games, and this is definitely not even giving gibblies. Calling was WAY scarier than this by a mile.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh man this game is shiiiiit. The EU cover is both terrible and the only one that encapsulated the quality of the product. It'll be nice to see this get poo poo upon in long form.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
This game really is before its time with all the jpeg jump scares.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CryingAthena posted:

Because you get a Game Over if your batteries run out.

Which is what helps make the game so utterly poo poo, since you're restricted to a ponderously slow pace and have a hard time limit to complete a level.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

pedrovay2003 posted:

I just like watching people suffer. This is one of my favourite kinds of LP's.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is what helps make the game so utterly poo poo, since you're restricted to a ponderously slow pace and have a hard time limit to complete a level.

The thing is that there are games that do exactly that, but they're good. At least probably because it's not about a slow pace for them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Holy poo poo, that EU cover is so bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's perfect. You've lost your keys behind the couch minutes before going on a concert and have to keep your old flashlight going with old batteries you find in the dust there. The rest is just your imagination.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ju-on-the-grudge/cover-art/gameCoverId,231096/platform,82/

Those might not be her fingers.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

What do you actually do during this game? Collect batteries and keep moving forward? I don't understand.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
What kind of lovely-rear end flashlight or batteries is Erika using? Jesus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anoia posted:

What do you actually do during this game? Collect batteries and keep moving forward? I don't understand.

It looks like you do have to collect items to unlock stuff, like getting the power thingy to plug into the fusebox. The challenge is getting there when you can't see poo poo and move at a snail's pace.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CryingAthena posted:

The question is: which is worse, the controls for Fatal Frame 4 or the controls for Ju-On?

I think the controls in Ju-on are worse. They're certainly not good in Fatal Frame 4, but just having an actual joystick makes such a huge difference that nothing else seems as bad in comparison. Ju-on just feels weird to control.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

azren posted:

At least The Ring/Ringu gives people a way out, even if it does mean cursing someone else.

Ha! No it doesn't. I've read the books, of which the movie was based on the first one and ignored the others, which elaborate heavily on Sadako's nature and the nature of what is going on, and it is hilarious how elaborate the situation gets. The series is Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki. I did a writeup in PYF terrible books because I love them..

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Glazius posted:

I still think Spooky's House of Jump Scares would be a good one-off bonus thing. I want to see Pete jump at cardboard cutouts of adorable pumpkins.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Echophonic posted:

I still think Spooky's House of Jump Scares would be a good one-off bonus thing. I want to see Pete jump at cardboard cutouts of adorable pumpkins.

Shame he probably won't have the patience to get to the more elaborate floors.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion now.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I still can't get over the "Haunted House Simulator" subtitle.

And that PAL box cover... "Uuuuhhhhhhhgh" indeed.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now, you poor people, you! You can tell my blood pressure is beginning to rise in this one. Maybe that's the curse!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/Bw8hdi1.webm
This is just fantastic.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I'm so sorry you're doing this to yourself.

Why are you doing this to yourself?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

tlarn posted:

a shaka shaka, shaka shaka

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

tlarn posted:

Her brothers a cat, she's a racoon. It works. She's just washing the floor.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
She just wants to hold your hand, gosh. Why did you have to shake her hand off that violently?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

tlarn posted:

Give 'em the magic hands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Ha! No it doesn't. I've read the books, of which the movie was based on the first one and ignored the others, which elaborate heavily on Sadako's nature and the nature of what is going on, and it is hilarious how elaborate the situation gets. The series is Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki. I did a writeup in PYF terrible books because I love them..

Wow, I was just thinking of the movie, since it's all the experience I have. That's... oof.

• Locked thread