Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Does she get adopted as an attempt to rehabilitate her in the books too? Cause that part of the 2nd movie always struck me as ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
My God, I love you people.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Anoia posted:

Does she get adopted as an attempt to rehabilitate her in the books too? Cause that part of the 2nd movie always struck me as ridiculous.

Wait, what?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kayoko is the Event, eh?

That explains so much.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

drkeiscool posted:

Wait, what?

Nevermind, I'm misremembering the Ring 2 interview scenes. These two movies blur together since both American remakes and sequels rushed out around the same time frame.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Anoia posted:

Nevermind, I'm misremembering the Ring 2 interview scenes. These two movies blur together since both American remakes and sequels rushed out around the same time frame.

I think there was some sorta thing where she needed to be "loved" and "love" will cure the curse or something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know anything about The Ring, but I do know what I like. One of those things is a game making Pete suffer, another is scrapple. I know you were kidding, but I'm more than happy to be that guy.

:chef: Scrapple is a Mid-Atlantic breakfast meat and it's delicious. It's basically just pork trimmings (hence scrap), flour, and spices. Visually, it looks like a very fine meatloaf, regardless of preparation. It feels and tastes like it's really bad for you, but it's less sodium and fat than an equivalent amount of bacon. If you're already eating a delicious breakfast meat, you have worse choices. Rapa is the brand you usually get in my neck of the woods (northern Delaware) and it's pretty good.

Scrapple is a little mushy, which kind of throws off people who aren't used to it. Usually you pan fry a 1/2 to 3/4 inch slice of it, but you can also deep fry or broil a slice of the same size. Deep frying makes it softer, broiling makes it crisper. Pan frying is the way to go, if you want my opinion, since you want a bit of crispiness on the outside. I always find that deep fried slices fall apart and, quite frankly, I always burn the hell out of my mouth.

On the subject of the LP, I hope things even out a bit with the controls. It's amazing how loving slow this game moves. Pete's patience is impressive. I'm pretty sure I'd have thrown a Wii remote by now. Then the game disc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the game does basically nothing to explain what the plot of Ju-On: The Grudge actually is.

Kayako, her son Toshio, and their cat were murdered by her husband after he found out she was cheating on him. Japanese culture has a concept of murdered souls coming back as vengeful spirits, and Kayako and Toshio returned to kill their murderer and everyone who gives them reason to. Anyone who enters their former home in Tokyo and those they're close to are marked for death by the ghosts, and the place they kill their victims in also becomes a no-go zone for anyone who wants to stay living. The video game is just the story of the latest victims: the family who moved into the death house.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

chitoryu12 posted:

Kayako and Toshio returned to kill their murderer
And it's no wonder why they're so loving furious with everyone and everything else with it; Kayako kills Takeo by way of her supernatural hair, only for him to come back as a ghost too, in the same bloody house.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

I don't know anything about The Ring, but I do know what I like. One of those things is a game making Pete suffer...

You're going to love tomorrow's episode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pedrovay2003 posted:

You're going to love tomorrow's episode.

Probably, but this game isn't as good natured with its fuckery, so it kind of feels sadistic. At least the Witness environmental puzzles were trying to encourage cleverness and Fatal Frame 5 was trying to be scary. Skate 3's physics and pedestrian AI at least were fun when they weren't directly loving you over. This one seems to think that lovely controls are scary.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The controls seem to be more actively malicious than the ghosts.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

And it's no wonder why they're so loving furious with everyone and everything else with it; Kayako kills Takeo by way of her supernatural hair, only for him to come back as a ghost too, in the same bloody house.

You know what? That's one of the things I've always questioned when things come back as ghosts to kill people. It's like do the victims (Either good or bad) just not exist then? Kinda glad it covers that a bit.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Zain posted:

You know what? That's one of the things I've always questioned when things come back as ghosts to kill people. It's like do the victims (Either good or bad) just not exist then? Kinda glad it covers that a bit.

The American Grudge 2 was all over that bit of "lore", with the murdered schoolgirls (and teacher?) stalking their surviving friend for years, trying to get at her. They drove her insane with fear to the point that she sealed herself in an apartment covered with warding seals.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Schubalts posted:

The American Grudge 2 was all over that bit of "lore", with the murdered schoolgirls (and teacher?) stalking their surviving friend for years, trying to get at her. They drove her insane with fear to the point that she sealed herself in an apartment covered with warding seals.
Ju-On: The Grudge did it too in Izumi's story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Which leads to exponential ghost growth, and makes it very difficult to understand why Japan and/or the world hasn't been wiped out by ghosts already.

I mean, at least for vampires you have ripple users as a natural counter. These ghosts, who knows?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I think it gets to a point where the vengeful ghosts end up with victims who are just completely apathetic to it all and take this outlook with them when they become ghosts, breaking the cycle of murdering anyone and everyone they encounter.

I'm also leaping to the bizarre conclusion that there's some sort of "ghost retirement" goal which comes into effect when a certain number of victims are claimed.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

The whole thing of Japanese horror is very... Well different. The idea generally for us is that there is some END to it all. In Japanese horror there generally isn't an end or the evil generally wins. Completely innocent people can just die or be cursed for no reason.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That describes the Fatal Frame series very well. :smith:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The way to resolve a Japanese horror story is to introduce a Jean Reno into it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Schubalts posted:

That describes the Fatal Frame series very well. :smith:

Yeah, no kidding. I remember following Niggurath's Fatal Frame threads, and Jesus Christ are they mean to these random girls! What did Mio and Mayu ever do to you, game!? WHY MUST THEY SUFFER SO!? :negative:

...sorry, got a bit carried away.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 3! I'll be in therapy if anyone needs me!

Riazer
Oct 9, 2012
Isn`t the last image on the TV the rooftop?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

It's time for part 3! I'll be in therapy if anyone needs me!

Poor Pete.. I'm so sorry for your lost sanity. This is probably the biggest highlight of this game though.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Riazer posted:

Isn`t the last image on the TV the rooftop?

I believe the TV was showing different locations throughout the game, so yeah, it was probably the roof.

Zain posted:

Poor Pete.. I'm so sorry for your lost sanity. This is probably the biggest highlight of this game though.

I honestly love how this episode turned out, but yeah, after watching the fully-edited version a day later, I realized that I was much angrier than I had thought at the time. :-P

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ju-On Forever - Always Bet on Hair

I quite enjoyed PeteRant. I wouldn't want it all the time, but definitely funny.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 17, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

Ju-On Forever - Always Bet on Hair

I quite enjoyed PeteRant. I wouldn't want it all the time, but definitely funny.

Yeah, that certainly won't be an all the time thing, I promise. I just had to get that out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pedrovay2003 posted:

Yeah, that certainly won't be an all the time thing, I promise. I just had to get that out.

Well, I mean, you're right (like the cookie cake said). Useless modes and unused buttons just make games seem lazy and rushed.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

And this episode illustrates what I was saying before about this kind of thing not making for a good video game. You have this QTE at the very end of the level, and if you fail? I'm assuming you die and start the level over. But if you succeed? You beat the level, but still die. Really, our character here should have just let the kid push her off. :tizzy:

Also, I suspect that your method of dealing with QTEs is what's most inflating your scared/sissiness levels, since you're flailing the remote like nuts. I'm not saying there's a better way to do it, just that that's probably why.

God, I hate this game so much, and I've only ever watched people play it...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

God, I hate this game so much, and I've only ever watched people play it...

You know what's really sad? I knew how much I hated it, and we still paid $30 just to do this LP. :-P But it was worth it; the response has been excellent so far, and Amy and I have wanted to do this one for a while now.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 18, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So are you going to do that amazing Ringu game next for the Dreamcast?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

So are you going to do that amazing Ringu game next for the Dreamcast?

I'M SORRY, WHAT?! This is a thing?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like the game is called The Ring: Terror's Realm. A cursory googling suggests a... let's say mixed response.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

pedrovay2003 posted:

It's a thing, but I'm being a tad ironic about the amazing bit.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

Here is where you tell us you got a dreamcast. :allears:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

Here is where you tell us you got a dreamcast. :allears:

Oh, I have a Dreamcast, don't you worry about that. :D It's still one of my favorite consoles!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh, I have a Dreamcast, don't you worry about that. :D It's still one of my favorite consoles!

Good man! Not to push you in any direction but this definitely brings hope up for a Ring LP.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Bahahahaha you actually replayed the whole hospital level.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
That rant is why I love LP's like this. It was amazing.

Amy though, we really need to talk about your jumpscare tactics. It may have turned out you probably wouldn't have been able to use them during that bed scenario but you are still not using them to their full capacity. You need to use them when he is distracted, not when he is just walking straight forward, and much more randomly, not just a lot when you realise they exist. I am telling you this because I feel like you aren't living up to your potential of screwing with Pete. I am convinced you can be much meaner if you just try! :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Purple Ghost Boy 'jumpscare' is the best thing about this game so far. Magically lovely and ineffective at providing any scares at all!

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh Christ. The Ring: Terror's Realm makes this game look like a horror masterpiece; it's just entirely incompetent, and wastes no time in letting you know.

• Locked thread