Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The Ring: Terror's Realm makes this game look like a horror masterpiece

My God, I'm going to have to play this now; I don't know if I can even force myself to believe that there's ANYTHING in this world that can make Ju-on for the Wii look just GOOD, let alone a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
If you do play The Ring: Terror's Realm, I'd say that reading the third Ring book, Loop, is mandatory. They never adapted Loop into a movie because it doesn't really fit with the rest of the stuff, but this game seems to be based heavily around it.

Speaking of Ring in a Ju-On thread, who's excited for Sadako Vs Kayako?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

pedrovay2003 posted:

My God, I'm going to have to play this now; I don't know if I can even force myself to believe that there's ANYTHING in this world that can make Ju-on for the Wii look just GOOD, let alone a masterpiece.
Trust me, it really is just that goddamn bad. And if you really do intend to play it, please, please don't spoil anything for yourself by checking gameplay videos or reviews or anything of the sort. Experience it all completely raw and just take in the (lack of) atmosphere. Words really cannot describe what you'll feel.

The Watercrown posted:

I am, in a weird, morbidly-curious sort of way. How exactly do two ghosts fight? Or is it like some sort of victim-claiming board game? A Monopoly-type based on getting all the souls in Japan, perhaps?

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 20, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Watercrown posted:

I had to look up what this was, and to be honest, I'm a little surprised that there hadn't been a crossover up to this point.

Speaking of the movies, I think I need to watch the Ju-on ones again. All I remember is that I hated the first one, but I loved the second one; that's as good as my memory is concerning that.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

I am, in a weird, morbidly-curious sort of way. How exactly do two ghosts fight? Or is it like some sort of victim-claiming board game? A Monopoly-type based on getting all the souls in Japan, perhaps?
I assume it'll be something akin to Freddy vs. Jason where they end up crossing over into each other's worlds and duke it out to claim the right to totally murder some dumb Japanese folks. And I have no problem calling them dumb because it seems like the plot of the movie is "Man, we've got this cursed tape and nowhere to watch it....maybe we should watch it in this ghost house that has killed most of Japan already!". I mean I know VCR's are a little hard to come by nowadays but there has to be another one that is somewhat convenient, right?

I guess I just don't understand Japanese culture:

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Niggurath posted:

I assume it'll be something akin to Freddy vs. Jason where they end up crossing over into each other's worlds and duke it out to claim the right to totally murder some dumb Japanese folks. And I have no problem calling them dumb because it seems like the plot of the movie is "Man, we've got this cursed tape and nowhere to watch it....maybe we should watch it in this ghost house that has killed most of Japan already!". I mean I know VCR's are a little hard to come by nowadays but there has to be another one that is somewhat convenient, right?

I guess I just don't understand Japanese culture:

That is the best thing. US should start adding horror characters to their celeb ball throwing thingies. (Yes, I obviously has a firm grip on Baseball)

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Say, I don't know if you've said something about this before, but are you going to continue playing Keepers of the Dark alongside this? It'd be nice to have a, y'know, actually good horror game going to contrast against this junk.

Also, I think the original intent for Courage Test was to let you invite your friends, make them play through your favourite chapter and compete over who gets the lowest scare level. Of course, this isn't very well communicated, and requires you to subject your friends to Ju-on, so...

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Terry van Feleday posted:

Say, I don't know if you've said something about this before, but are you going to continue playing Keepers of the Dark alongside this? It'd be nice to have a, y'know, actually good horror game going to contrast against this junk.

Yeah... We've been really bad about that, haven't we? I do want to continue Keepers, and I think we're going to start it up again this week, so hopefully we'll have some more episodes soon.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 4 is up now! Not as angry this time around. This is actually probably one of the better chapters in the game, if such a thing exists.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wow, the wheezing from that poor bastard after a short stumble into a cupboard. What sort of security guard was he?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Wow, the wheezing from that poor bastard after a short stumble into a cupboard. What sort of security guard was he?

That one was a delivery boy, the next one's a security guard.

This is another one that drives me bonkers. Unless there's something I'm forgetting, where the exit is literally blocked, you delivered your loving package, rear end in a top hat! Go the gently caress home!!!

Also, I don't know what it's like other places, but where I live, delivery guys have a tendency to just knock, leave their packages, and bugger off. Probably a local thing.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I am indeed a very proud gal. Well done Amy, I knew you could do it!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

azren posted:

Also, I don't know what it's like other places, but where I live, delivery guys have a tendency to just knock, leave their packages, and bugger off. Probably a local thing.

Don't Japanese deliverymen actually come into the entryway of the house, if the door is unlocked? Where does this game even take place?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 22, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

azren posted:

Goddamnit I knew I'd hosed something up. I meant delivery boy but was still watching/typing as the "Security Guard's Ordeal" chapter appeared on screen. That'll teach me.

Still, what sort of delivery boy ends up rasping away like that anyway? I know next to diddly-dick about delivery services in Japan, but I'm fairly sure that no delivery company on the planet wants to hire some severely asthmatic guy who possibly crumples up into a wheezing pile every time he walks down a pathway to someone's door carrying a box. This ghost ordeal must be wiping the population out hard if he's got the job.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Maybe he was delivering security!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The murderous ghost contained within the box would keep your house safe from all forms of life.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The bloody handprints on the wall is actually a pretty spooky touch, but since you're practically not in any danger outside of QTEs it's really pointless. There's nothing to ever really be scared about here.

Cooking Magpie
Jul 25, 2012
I like how all of these characters run like three feet away from the ghost and then stop. It destroys any tension the game might've built up.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Cooking Magpie posted:

I like how all of these characters run like three feet away from the ghost and then stop. It destroys any tension the game might've built up.

Oh.. No. A ghost. Let me walk two feet to the left. Phew it's over.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
Another great LP, you guys.

What always bothered me about these movies, and consequently this game, is that the ghosts are essentially all-powerful. They can't be harmed, can go anywhere and do anything they like, and can kill the main character any time. This means that every time they don't kill you, they're just being assholes for no reason. So, these movies / games boil down to the story of two omnipotent jerks loving with some poor innocent people. The appeal eludes me.

As for making the game more scary, I often find myself thinking they should have coded the ghosts in this game similarly to Watson in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I think the assumption with ghosts in these types of stories is that they're almost mindless. There's no great plan or strategy to their actions, no rhyme or reason; they strike seemingly at random, or following arbitrary rules that you usually don't get to learn before it's too late. They're essentially embodiments of rage and sorrow arising from the negative energy that surrounds unclean death, and have more in common with tornadoes and earthquakes than with the typical Western ghost concept of "dead person as twisted reflection of a once-living person". If the ghost of a murder victim torments and kills innocents, it's not so much because the victim was an rear end in a top hat, as it is because the senseless deaths it causes are echoes of its own senseless death. The original murder was so ignoble a crime that it reverberates on down through time, and grows more ignoble still as it accumulates the terror and suffering of all its subsequent victims.

At their best, these stories present implacable forces of destruction that you can't negotiate with or pacify, and they share some appeal with, say, disaster flicks, but with the trappings of horror. At their worst, they allow and promote lazy writing, because they can end up featuring antagonists without motives and protagonists without agency, at which point all you're left with is hollow atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure we all know on what end of the spectrum this game resides.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
Thankyou, Frank, for summarising the appeal of eastern supernatural horror with such detail and succinctness, beyond what most of us could provide.

I think "They can't win, so why bother watching" complaint holds just as much water as the "He'll always win, so why bother reading" complaint about Superman. It's not about the ending, it's about the journey to the ending. Unfortunately, in this games case, the journey is walking barefoot over a kilometer of Doritos. Highly unpleasant, but you have to keep going, just so you can say "I walked barefoot over a mile of cheese flavoured, spiky snacks."

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Time for part 5! This is the most damned boring level I've ever played in a video game! Yay!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The brevity made this level the best by default!

Also, go for the silent hill series. I'd like to see some of the less revered entries like Room and Downpour.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Downpour is nice: it acknowledges SH combat is crap and has a no kills achievement.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Watercrown posted:

Thankyou, Frank, for summarising the appeal of eastern supernatural horror with such detail and succinctness, beyond what most of us could provide.

I think "They can't win, so why bother watching" complaint holds just as much water as the "He'll always win, so why bother reading" complaint about Superman. It's not about the ending, it's about the journey to the ending. Unfortunately, in this games case, the journey is walking barefoot over a kilometer of Doritos. Highly unpleasant, but you have to keep going, just so you can say "I walked barefoot over a mile of cheese flavoured, spiky snacks."

But Superman doesn't always win.

His win condition isn't surviving. He's loving Superman. He's gonna make it. It's keeping people safe. Which, sometimes, he fails at! Not as often as he wins, sure. But, for a decent enough example, in All Star his father has a heart attack, and he can't do poo poo to save him. On top of that, the narrative is set up so that something else could have happened. Yes, Superman saved the puppy orphanage, but if Lex Luthor had just stopped gloating five seconds earlier, Superman would have been screwed.

Meanwhile, the ghosts just kill everyone. It's not even "Well, the ghost's gonna keep going with the curse, but maybe the ace reporter with a heart of gold will get away?"

Everyone's hosed, and you know the lead's gonna get it just before the credits roll. The only question is the pacing for the other deaths. And there's nothing they could have done different once the story starts going. It's not like you go "Looking back, if they'd just asked that boring middle schooler to check out the haunted video tape, he could have saved them all." or "If only the teacher finished filling out her 'become a priest online!' popup!" As soon as the gears are in motion, everything is meaningless.

I mean, I agree it can work, but you only want to reveal the 'Turns out you were hosed all along!' bit at the end. Otherwise, there's no tension.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

FrankZP posted:

At their best, these stories present implacable forces of destruction that you can't negotiate with or pacify, and they share some appeal with, say, disaster flicks, but with the trappings of horror. At their worst, they allow and promote lazy writing, because they can end up featuring antagonists without motives and protagonists without agency, at which point all you're left with is hollow atmosphere.

I'm pretty sure we all know on what end of the spectrum this game resides.

That's kind of the crux of most of these films though. Whether it's The Ring, The Call or Dark Water, it tends to be about trying to appease the ghost in some way. When everyone just dies before they get a chance to do anything productive, it's just a mindless repetition of the same pattern.

I think the true strength of Ju-On lies in the potential for the curse to spiral outwards like some sort of ghost epidemic. A really interesting version of this sort of happens in Kairo (or Pulse) from 2001 where the ghosts take away your will to live, and turn you into yet another ghost. At the end, the protagonist has to leave Japan because it's completely infested with ghosts. It never seemed like the films delivered on that premise in any meaningful way, though.

As for the game, it's just really unengaging because you know your character is going to die. There is no incentive for you to keep on playing because you have no influence on the outcome. Sure, you can survive a million quick time ghost encounters, but at the end of the day, they're just gonna keep on coming until you're dead. Like some sort of haunted house version of Tetris, except without a High Score. The only productive thing a haunted person could potentially do with their time would be to write some flashy sign telling everyone to stay away from the haunted death zone, but that's not really an option here.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 25, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

Like some sort of haunted house version of Tetris, except without a High Score.

Just the thought of this is my genuine nightmare now. I've never been good at Tetris, let alone Tetris with ghosts and no reason to play in the first place.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It also raises a question some of the other war FPSs with multiple protagonists raised - if at the end of the level you're going to get killed in a cutscene, why is it still a game over when you get killed with enemy bullets two feet before the end of the level?

I don't know if it would be better or worse if the game just advanced from level to level when you died, as long as you still had to find all the fragments to unlock the last level.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Just the thought of this is my genuine nightmare now. I've never been good at Tetris, let alone Tetris with ghosts and no reason to play in the first place.
How's your Kunitoris in Siren 2?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

How's your Kunitoris in Siren 2?

You know what? I've regrettably never played a single Siren game. I tried the PS3 demo, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the series, which I'd like to remedy.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, it's time for the finale! It was a much shorter than our other playthroughs, but that's probably for the best, because it's Ju-on.

Thanks to all of you who stuck it out and watched the whole series! We're throwing around ideas for the next game, and we'll definitely be back soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ghost cats :ohdear:

pedrovay2003 posted:

Thanks to all of you who stuck it out and watched the whole series! We're throwing around ideas for the next game, and we'll definitely be back soon.
Have you seen Headhunter? It plays like Resident Evil mashed with Winback, but the cutscenes and the story are taking from Paul Verhoeven movies. It's also a game where the only way to gain XP is to ride your bike really fast.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The extra bit at the end was some chef-kisses level stuff, good poo poo

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP pedrovay, killed by a ghost catte.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
At least they referenced the first film with the kid between the bannister and the bodies in the attic and the way you died... actually it was more lazy copy paste than a reference.
Also yeah that live action bit was really similar to the film, it might have fooled me into buying the game if I played horrors myself.

But yes, thank you for your suffering, it was very entertaining!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Well, that sure was a thing.

Thanks for playing, now I won't ever want to!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Well, that sure was a thing.

Thanks for playing, now I won't ever want to!

Mission accomplished!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

If you are taking requests for the next/another lp, I really want to see someone tackle The Ring: Terror's Realm. I only saw the first, like, hour/hour and a half or so, and dear God does it look bad glorious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

If you are taking requests for the next/another lp, I really want to see someone tackle The Ring: Terror's Realm. I only saw the first, like, hour/hour and a half or so, and dear God does it look bad glorious!

I'll need to see if I can snag a copy. I honestly just want to play it so I have an excuse to fire up the Dreamcast again. :-D

• Locked thread