Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Please do. Emulate the bastard if you have to, but that game... holy ol' Jesus.

It'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Please do. Emulate the bastard if you have to, but that game... holy ol' Jesus.

It'll be worth it.

I agree, this haunted house simulator train must keep on rollin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTFr37w_eLA

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe
Heh, okay, you guys convinced me. I grabbed a cheap-enough copy on Amazon, since there were several requests for it. I'm also trying to not have any clue as to what it's even like before I play it.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

pedrovay2003 posted:

Heh, okay, you guys convinced me. I grabbed a cheap-enough copy on Amazon, since there were several requests for it. I'm also trying to not have any clue as to what it's even like before I play it.

:getin:

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Is that a happy frog, or a sick-to-its-stomach-because-The-Ring frog?

EDIT: Amy just informed me that the frog is a gif that doesn't play in the Android app. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'm also trying to not have any clue as to what it's even like before I play it.
This is by far the best way to go into this game.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
So wait, the ghost lady went through the effort to put the dead people in bags, drag them to the house, stuff them in the attic, tear the house up, and then kill the protagonist?

That ghost is very dedicated.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This level had some pretty neat visuals, between the ghosts of protagonists past and the infinity of ghost cats. It's... nice that they didn't make the last level a letdown? I guess?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I guess I don't understand how this ghost thing operates?

It kills just random people because they were in the wrong place/time?

It's called The Grudge, but unless the grudge in this case is just held against the living, it makes no sense.

I do have one theory, the 4 people that are in the black and white photo are the people you run around as (if you count the dog that is also in the photo). It's a little hard to see, in this video it's at about 4:40, but there are 4 people in the photo and it looks like the men on either end might have on uniforms. It's a stretch, but it might make a little sense.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
The original idea was that these ghosts are mostly like classic ghosts in that they'll haunt the places that they died, but it goes a step further in that these people died so horribly and in such torment that they are locked in that moment forever. And if you mistakenly stumble into where they died they'll be more than happy to share that torment with you. That is their one sole thought and purpose; to be swept up in that final violent act that ended their lives.

Now the movies made this work mostly well, because people would hear an urban legend about these haunted locations and they'd go check it out....then violently die and then their loved ones would go check it out or the police....and then they'd violently die. Pretty much the end of the first movie has this humorous shot of thousands of missing posters around this single house and it really gives the impression that half the population of Japan has died to this single house. But they needed to spice up the premise, so they started to put in paradoxical time travel or that the curse can attach to people and shift to new locations, or be associated with individual objects and that object could cause the curse to move around. And then every thing got rebooted and there's prequels and tv shows, and it all gets confusing.

Needless to say, these ghosts aren't really motivated by anything with too much depth. You just happen into their domain and they curse you for doing that.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's been said before, but it really is easier to think of Kayako and Ju-on styled curses as forces of nature rather than anything else

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
This is just a reminder that Ju-on: The Grudge is the third movie in the series, not the first (If you don't count the original pair of short films). Go look up individual film synopses on Wikipedia. Same for Ring. The stuff is wierd and interesting.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

drkeiscool posted:

So wait, the ghost lady went through the effort to put the dead people in bags, drag them to the house, stuff them in the attic, tear the house up, and then kill the protagonist?

That ghost is very dedicated.

Actually, those bodies belongs to Kazumi and Katsuya; Catboy and Ghostlady. They were found in the attic in the original film. This along with Kazumi appearing at the top of the stairs, where he first showed in the film was what I felt was a quite nice callback in this otherwise atrocious game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If your doing Ring Terror's Realm next I recommend reading the books at some point because they are ridiculously entertaining, and it could be fun to compare narrative beats in the game with parts of the books to see if the correlate at all, even accidentally.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Because Amy and I are always looking for ways to please, it's time for The Ring: Terror's Realm! Let's see if it lives up to the overwhelming hype!

BioEnchanted posted:

If your doing Ring Terror's Realm next I recommend reading the books at some point because they are ridiculously entertaining, and it could be fun to compare narrative beats in the game with parts of the books to see if the correlate at all, even accidentally.

Yeah, one of these days, I'd like to get into the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Sorry to bump, but I only discovered this thread this week and have been watching it over the past few days. I'm a big fan of the Ju-On films (though I've not seen any made after the second US film yet, as I'm a lazy rear end). I find it hilarious that the thread tries to debate the "rules" of these ghosts, because like some of the better ghost movies out there (Like Poltergeist or The Haunting--original in both cases) the rules don't matter. Every time a character thinks they get a handle on things and sets out with a battle plan, Kayako and Toshio change the rules again. So yes, you end up having the curse be contagious outside the house (which incidentally has had a near constant layout with each installment, including this one), or have it transcend time. In many ways I'd say the series is much better than the more popular Ringu series, just for this reason. I've watched all of that series, and have felt that it's not nearly as daring or interesting. Though it definitely gets weirder, in its own particular ways...but I'm sure that's a discussion for the Ring LP.

• Locked thread