Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GamesAreSupernice posted:

This game didn't seem all that bad, it's basically what it says on the tin. "Haunted House Simulator." It's on par with walking around a haunted house and maybe freaking out sometimes because a weird guy jumps out at you or the walls start screaming.
The game is mostly a chore to play; you move at a glacial pace and you are constantly on an invisible timer due to the battery life of the flashlight. So instead of enjoying the spooky events you're having to actually rush about rooms jamming your face into corners to find more batteries. And then there's the fact that some of the scares are so stupidly easy to miss. Like there's a part where a hard hat falls down and it's got a face in it....but it happens so quickly and you're just facing to finish the level that you can't enjoy it.

Also yeah, behind that is the fact that there's easily missed bits of side story that as pedrovay2003 mentioned are necessary to finish the game which means that you'll have to slowly replay levels to actually finish the game and that the overall plot is pretty stupid. But that's what makes the game so great. It does absolutely nothing right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So are you going to do that amazing Ringu game next for the Dreamcast?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

pedrovay2003 posted:

I'M SORRY, WHAT?! This is a thing?
It's a thing, but I'm being a tad ironic about the amazing bit.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I am, in a weird, morbidly-curious sort of way. How exactly do two ghosts fight? Or is it like some sort of victim-claiming board game? A Monopoly-type based on getting all the souls in Japan, perhaps?
I assume it'll be something akin to Freddy vs. Jason where they end up crossing over into each other's worlds and duke it out to claim the right to totally murder some dumb Japanese folks. And I have no problem calling them dumb because it seems like the plot of the movie is "Man, we've got this cursed tape and nowhere to watch it....maybe we should watch it in this ghost house that has killed most of Japan already!". I mean I know VCR's are a little hard to come by nowadays but there has to be another one that is somewhat convenient, right?

I guess I just don't understand Japanese culture:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The original idea was that these ghosts are mostly like classic ghosts in that they'll haunt the places that they died, but it goes a step further in that these people died so horribly and in such torment that they are locked in that moment forever. And if you mistakenly stumble into where they died they'll be more than happy to share that torment with you. That is their one sole thought and purpose; to be swept up in that final violent act that ended their lives.

Now the movies made this work mostly well, because people would hear an urban legend about these haunted locations and they'd go check it out....then violently die and then their loved ones would go check it out or the police....and then they'd violently die. Pretty much the end of the first movie has this humorous shot of thousands of missing posters around this single house and it really gives the impression that half the population of Japan has died to this single house. But they needed to spice up the premise, so they started to put in paradoxical time travel or that the curse can attach to people and shift to new locations, or be associated with individual objects and that object could cause the curse to move around. And then every thing got rebooted and there's prequels and tv shows, and it all gets confusing.

Needless to say, these ghosts aren't really motivated by anything with too much depth. You just happen into their domain and they curse you for doing that.

• Locked thread