Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
azren
Feb 14, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, one thing that gets to me about The Grudge is that you're hosed. Like, that's the basic plot beat. If you're in the world of The Grudge, then you will be murdered by ghosts, then become a ghost to ghost-murder more people. There is nothing but wondering at the exact method of ghost-murder you will receive.

Like, what's even the loving point? It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency, or someone realizes that bustin' makes them feel good. The only thing you get from not getting murdered by ghosts in the middle of a level is murdered by ghosts at the end of the level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if this game does curse you to be murdered by ghosts, you probably should call the Talk About Spirits Agency instead of wandering around with a flashlight. I hear they have very competitive rates.

The thing is, that's the way a lot of Japanese ghost stories tend to go. Person gets cursed/haunted -> person is hosed. Doesn't mean it makes a good movie/game though. I kinda like to feel that my actions in a game have meant something. At least The Ring/Ringu gives people a way out, even if it does mean cursing someone else.

But yeah, this game is awful. This is the third playthrough I've seen of it, and it never gets any scarier. Or better. Or anything. In terms of failing a scenario, I seem to recall the hospital giving people I watched the greatest amount of trouble. I wait with enthusiasm.
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Ha! No it doesn't. I've read the books, of which the movie was based on the first one and ignored the others, which elaborate heavily on Sadako's nature and the nature of what is going on, and it is hilarious how elaborate the situation gets. The series is Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki. I did a writeup in PYF terrible books because I love them..

Wow, I was just thinking of the movie, since it's all the experience I have. That's... oof.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Schubalts posted:

That describes the Fatal Frame series very well. :smith:

Yeah, no kidding. I remember following Niggurath's Fatal Frame threads, and Jesus Christ are they mean to these random girls! What did Mio and Mayu ever do to you, game!? WHY MUST THEY SUFFER SO!? :negative:

...sorry, got a bit carried away.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

And this episode illustrates what I was saying before about this kind of thing not making for a good video game. You have this QTE at the very end of the level, and if you fail? I'm assuming you die and start the level over. But if you succeed? You beat the level, but still die. Really, our character here should have just let the kid push her off. :tizzy:

Also, I suspect that your method of dealing with QTEs is what's most inflating your scared/sissiness levels, since you're flailing the remote like nuts. I'm not saying there's a better way to do it, just that that's probably why.

God, I hate this game so much, and I've only ever watched people play it...

azren
Feb 14, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Wow, the wheezing from that poor bastard after a short stumble into a cupboard. What sort of security guard was he?

That one was a delivery boy, the next one's a security guard.

This is another one that drives me bonkers. Unless there's something I'm forgetting, where the exit is literally blocked, you delivered your loving package, rear end in a top hat! Go the gently caress home!!!

Also, I don't know what it's like other places, but where I live, delivery guys have a tendency to just knock, leave their packages, and bugger off. Probably a local thing.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

If you are taking requests for the next/another lp, I really want to see someone tackle The Ring: Terror's Realm. I only saw the first, like, hour/hour and a half or so, and dear God does it look bad glorious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

pedrovay2003 posted:

Heh, okay, you guys convinced me. I grabbed a cheap-enough copy on Amazon, since there were several requests for it. I'm also trying to not have any clue as to what it's even like before I play it.

:getin:

• Locked thread