Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, one thing that gets to me about The Grudge is that you're hosed. Like, that's the basic plot beat. If you're in the world of The Grudge, then you will be murdered by ghosts, then become a ghost to ghost-murder more people. There is nothing but wondering at the exact method of ghost-murder you will receive.

Like, what's even the loving point? It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency, or someone realizes that bustin' makes them feel good. The only thing you get from not getting murdered by ghosts in the middle of a level is murdered by ghosts at the end of the level.

I guess what I'm saying is, if this game does curse you to be murdered by ghosts, you probably should call the Talk About Spirits Agency instead of wandering around with a flashlight. I hear they have very competitive rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kayoko is the Event, eh?

That explains so much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Which leads to exponential ghost growth, and makes it very difficult to understand why Japan and/or the world hasn't been wiped out by ghosts already.

I mean, at least for vampires you have ripple users as a natural counter. These ghosts, who knows?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Watercrown posted:

Thankyou, Frank, for summarising the appeal of eastern supernatural horror with such detail and succinctness, beyond what most of us could provide.

I think "They can't win, so why bother watching" complaint holds just as much water as the "He'll always win, so why bother reading" complaint about Superman. It's not about the ending, it's about the journey to the ending. Unfortunately, in this games case, the journey is walking barefoot over a kilometer of Doritos. Highly unpleasant, but you have to keep going, just so you can say "I walked barefoot over a mile of cheese flavoured, spiky snacks."

But Superman doesn't always win.

His win condition isn't surviving. He's loving Superman. He's gonna make it. It's keeping people safe. Which, sometimes, he fails at! Not as often as he wins, sure. But, for a decent enough example, in All Star his father has a heart attack, and he can't do poo poo to save him. On top of that, the narrative is set up so that something else could have happened. Yes, Superman saved the puppy orphanage, but if Lex Luthor had just stopped gloating five seconds earlier, Superman would have been screwed.

Meanwhile, the ghosts just kill everyone. It's not even "Well, the ghost's gonna keep going with the curse, but maybe the ace reporter with a heart of gold will get away?"

Everyone's hosed, and you know the lead's gonna get it just before the credits roll. The only question is the pacing for the other deaths. And there's nothing they could have done different once the story starts going. It's not like you go "Looking back, if they'd just asked that boring middle schooler to check out the haunted video tape, he could have saved them all." or "If only the teacher finished filling out her 'become a priest online!' popup!" As soon as the gears are in motion, everything is meaningless.

I mean, I agree it can work, but you only want to reveal the 'Turns out you were hosed all along!' bit at the end. Otherwise, there's no tension.

• Locked thread